PDA

View Full Version : Being "set up" for dates by your friends & fam

LongIslandIceSIP
02-02-2010, 01:09 AM
:brckwall: :mad2: :aggyangy: etc...

for you single folk (or those that married late). at what age did it start and will it ever end?

It hadn't happened to me. I mocked my friends who had to go through this. Well, today it happened to me.

My older cousin (5 years older) asked why I wasn't married yet and is trying to hook me up with one of her single friends. She said "You'll love her, she's beautiful, smart, and (edited do to shaggy's popularity, and superior stalking skills)" :pop:

Anyway, I'll be 30 this year and I guess I'm only glad this kind of shit didn't happen sooner. I have a gf so I politely declined the invitation. That and the chick is probably a republican.

MNLonghorn10
02-02-2010, 01:50 AM
is her last name blagojevich?

NorthLoop
02-02-2010, 02:02 AM
wait you have a gf and you are bitching about being set up for dates? um.... ok.

Doc Holliday
02-02-2010, 09:11 AM
i got set up once. bad juju. girl showed up late, caused us to be late to the event, then she didn't want to leave. it was like blind date stage 5 clinger action.

Superhero
02-02-2010, 09:22 AM
Welcome to my world circa 2001 after I broke up with my then-girlfriend. Family friend in Austin would try to set me up with anyone and everyone. Then in 2005 my parents personally got involved. It was miserable having to listen to my mom go on and on every week about why I was single, what's wrong etc.

The ironic thing is my wife was/is the first set up from 2001. We didn't hit it off then, but stayed acquaintances anyway and started dating in 2006.

homer
02-02-2010, 09:42 AM
Damn foreigners.

bigup2dahorns
02-02-2010, 10:05 AM
it's happened a few times and never gone well. the last one (jr league girl) peed in my bed. and the same friends are hooking me up again in a few weeks. i forgot to ask if this girl is in the jr league, i bet she is. i guess i like fun fail stories :brckwall:

My Dixie Wrecked
02-02-2010, 10:06 AM
None of my friends or family have slutty enough friends that will actually go out with me.

Used2b
02-02-2010, 10:37 AM
Is her dad currently in prison? George Ryan does have 5 daughters.

LongIslandIceSIP
02-02-2010, 10:45 AM
is her last name blagojevich?

nope

wait you have a gf and you are bitching about being set up for dates? um.... ok.

I guess I find it insulting that friends and family would think I need help finding dates. Or that they want to pressure me to get married. If I wanted to be married at a younger age, I would have done so.

Is her dad currently in prison? George Ryan does have 5 daughters.

Not him either.

UTinBigD
02-02-2010, 12:33 PM
I guess I find it insulting that friends and family would think I need help finding dates. Or that they want to pressure me to get married. If I wanted to be married at a younger age, I would have done so.

in general i don't think it is because they don't think you cannot find a date. it's like networking. you don't think your buddy cannot find business or a referral on his own but you give him a hookup or contact anyway because you think both parties might benefit.

po elvis
02-02-2010, 12:40 PM
elizabeth edgar

judge roybeanbag
02-02-2010, 12:45 PM
Not him either.

Then it almost has to be Elizabeth Edgar. Everyone else would be too old.

MissingInAction
02-02-2010, 12:59 PM
Try being the only male in the family to carry on the name. It's fucking brutal.

To be named later
02-02-2010, 01:07 PM
Try being the only male in the family to carry on the name. It's fucking brutal.

It is?

Your name is "Fucking Brutal" ?!?

destroya
02-02-2010, 01:14 PM
I've dodged the bullet on this one, despite being 34 and still single. My parent's don't give me any grief about it; I guess that's because everything else is going great for me, plus my brother and sister have had kids. My grandmother and uncle are the only ones who bring it up. My grandmother, who is 90, tells me that she's sticking around until I give her a great-grandchild. I tell her that I'm going to make sure she's around for a long time. :mrgreen:

CleverNickname
02-02-2010, 01:20 PM
My grandma said she was living until we gave her a great grand child. The day after my wife peed a + on a stick, grams died. I guess she knew. And she was old as balls.

Orange&White
02-02-2010, 01:27 PM
My mother tried this once. She kept talking about one of her co-workers and telling me I should go out with her. After the 4th or 5th time, I told that I would NEVER date anyone that she knew. She got kinda pissed at me, but she quit doing it.

A few months prior to that, she told me a story about this woman she always saw at the mailboxes and they always chit chatted. One day, she mentioned me to the woman and suggested that she and I might get along well. The woman answered with, "Does he love to talk about the Lord?". My mother responded, "Nevermind". Good call on her part.

Steel Shank
02-02-2010, 01:46 PM
http://illinoisstatesoceity.typepad.com/photos/cherrry_blossom_princesse/edgar1994.jpg
Illinois First Lady Brenda Edgar and 1994 Illinois Cherry Blossom Princess Elizabeth Edgar from Springfield. Not pictured here is Elizabeth's father Gov. Jim Edgar.

LongIslandIceSIP
02-02-2010, 01:57 PM
^^^ it's not her

Steel Shank
02-02-2010, 02:09 PM
Good. I was going to say....

Steel Shank
02-02-2010, 02:10 PM
:mad2:

Orange&White
02-02-2010, 02:11 PM
Good. I was going to say....

...that snatch is snatch?

Steel Shank
02-02-2010, 02:16 PM
I understand that Sip is somewhat more discerning when it comes to the quality of the poontang.

bigup2dahorns
02-02-2010, 02:21 PM
I understand that Sip is somewhat more discerning when it comes to the quality of the poontang.

um, you call hanging out with ankfoo discerning? :mrgreen:

homer
02-02-2010, 02:24 PM
if she isn't the daughter of blogo, ryan, or edgar, she isn't the daughter of a former illinois governor. unless, your cousin is setting you up with 40+ year olds.

(how old would elizabeth edgar be any how? i assume 35+).

NorthLoop
02-02-2010, 02:37 PM
thats me, but they've known for a long time that I don't give a rats ass about that responsibility.

hullabelew
02-02-2010, 02:42 PM
Yep, I got married at 30, but leading up to that, at every wedding some aunt or uncle would nudge me and say, "You're next." They quit that shit when I was at funerals and would nudged them and say "You're next."

LongIslandIceSIP
02-02-2010, 03:26 PM
if she isn't the daughter of blogo, ryan, or edgar, she isn't the daughter of a former illinois governor. unless, your cousin is setting you up with 40+ year olds.

(how old would elizabeth edgar be any how? i assume 35+).

not so fast... My dad is 59 and he has a 3 year old kid (he remarried).

It is possible to have a really old dad and not be that old.

po elvis
02-02-2010, 03:34 PM
aaaaa

DLev
02-02-2010, 03:38 PM
the last one (jr league girl) peed in my bed.
OK, I'm gonna need you to elaborate.

Superhero
02-02-2010, 03:55 PM
Yep, I got married at 30, but leading up to that, at every wedding some aunt or uncle would nudge me and say, "You're next." They quit that shit when I was at funerals and would nudged them and say "You're next."

Old recycled joke. No points for you. :box:

It got so bad that when my friend got married, his parents, uncles, aunts, grandma tried to set me up with their cousin (adopted girl from Korea ). Guess you white people just think us asians belong together.

http://www.pixagen.com/storage/b3s/AsianThatsRacist.gif

She was cute, but with EVERYONE trying to force us together, it got awkward so all I got was a hug.

po elvis
02-02-2010, 04:02 PM
mmmm

Jameslaw
02-02-2010, 04:03 PM
I went on a blind date my dad set me up with from his work. She was fat and ugly, but she still sucked me off. Next day I called my dad and told him to tell her I was getting back with my ex. Needless to say, no one has ever tried again.

Used2b
02-02-2010, 04:41 PM
Buncha stalkers on this site.

Mike_Tyson
02-02-2010, 05:41 PM
I'm 27 and it happened to me this year. My dad approached me with the proposition of going out with a colleague's daughter (business not in jeopardy if it goes bad). I was uninterested just by the setup of it being both our parents. Well my dad tells my sister and mom about what a great setup this would be, "She's gorgeous" he tells them. Well my sister and mother, being the cyber stalkers they are, look her up on facebook. They pull her picture up and say, "T, get over here. You gotta see this." I was curious so I went over to the screen, took a look, and then turned to my dad and asked, "Can you really hook this up?!" Her mom has given me her phone number and apparently she's onboard. I'm just trying to figure out how to get it started because this chick is rather hot; ringlet blonde with big boobs and blue eyes.

frogstyle
02-02-2010, 05:50 PM
Buncha stalkers on this site.

no shit

LongIslandIceSIP
02-02-2010, 05:53 PM
:lol:

:eek1:

I guess I can't say that I'm surprised that you guys have amazing interwebs skills....

nothing to see here, nothing to see.

random horn
02-02-2010, 06:28 PM
a coworker's wife is trying to set me up with a friend of hers. i figure the worst that could happen is that it's full of epic fail and i have a great story to laugh about later.

tx 3 putt
02-02-2010, 06:47 PM
maybe you're gay and dont know it yet ?

BrothaHorn
02-02-2010, 07:03 PM
it's happened a few times and never gone well. the last one (jr league girl) peed in my bed. and the same friends are hooking me up again in a few weeks. i forgot to ask if this girl is in the jr league, i bet she is. i guess i like fun fail stories :brckwall:

Ok, what the back story to her pissing in your bed?

bigup2dahorns
02-02-2010, 07:11 PM
the last one (jr league girl) peed in my bed.
OK, I'm gonna need you to elaborate.

set up with a friend of my best friend's wife. i had been around her a few times and knew she liked to drink (a little too much) so much so that she would just hit that wall and get foggy. we went out for dinner/drinks and went to a club after dinner. one of those shot girls comes around and gives us free vodka and she drank 4 shots. yadda yadda yadda fast forward back to my place and we were hanging out on the couch. i get up to use the bathroom and come back and she is passed out in my bed. wake up the next day to take her home and as she walks to her door i noticed something going on with the jeans. i start to think "that can't be what i think it is". then i check when i get home and sure enough my bed was wet. first time to ever have that happen and hopefully the last. i blame the jr league.