PDA

View Full Version : Loftin's version of A&M departure

tonytexan
10-20-2011, 01:37 PM
Editor’s note: Texas A&M University president R. Bowen Loftin sat down with 12th Man Magazine’s Homer Jacobs and Rusty Burson for an exclusive interview concerning A&M’s exit from the Big 12 and move to the Southeastern Conference:

Q: In the summer of 2010, there was plenty of conference realignment talk. What brought everything back up in 2011?
Loftin: Let me take you back to June of 2009. I was interim president and within a few days of that time, I attended my first Big 12 board meeting in Dallas. Even though the presidents who were there were obviously civil and got along pretty well, it was clear there was some degree of difficulty within the conference then in terms of relationships. I call it the haves and have-nots. It was very clear which schools had money, and we were sort of in the middle of that pack. That’s where I first began to have some degree (of concern) on where the stance of the conference was. In the fall of 2009, we began to hear rumors about UT meeting and talking with the Pac-10. I was actually in Austin in December 2009 meeting with (University of Texas president) Bill Powers. At that point, I had asked everyone but him to leave the room so we could talk privately. I asked him if there was any conversation between him and the Pac-10 and his answer basically was, “I can’t talk about that.” The next month, he was in College Station, and we met in my office. I had the same question, and he gave me the same answer.
Go forward to the April (2010) timeframe…I got a call from (Pac-10 commissioner) Larry Scott indicating he wanted to come see me. Scott shows up here, and we have a meeting. Basically they had been working for months, and he had schedules of not just football but, basketball, soccer and baseball, and they had been working hard on this thing. He did a presentation for us on here’s how we are going to do this. I obviously began discussing this privately with the Board of Regents, and the basic direction I got from them was, “Look, we’ll probably get an offer from the Pac-10 to go join them along with five other schools in the Big 12.” The chairman of the board said to me, “One option is no option. You better figure out what things A&M could do besides follow Texas and other schools to the Pac-10.”

Q: Were you dumbfounded by this development?
Loftin: No, I had heard rumors. Powers wasn’t talking to me; I heard rumors and was not completely surprised. After I had this conversation with the board, I made a phone call to (SEC commissioner) Mike Slive and said, “Mike we need to talk.” Ultimately, he came here to see me, and we had a discussion about the SEC as a possible home for Texas A&M. That was late April to early May of 2010. We had a lot of other discussions going on by the time, and we had a clear sense the Pac-10 wanted to do this.

Q: Did you feel uncomfortable that Texas was trying to persuade A&M to tag along with it to the Pac-10?
Loftin: Clearly we weren’t driving the train. We were passengers at best, and that was a concern. You don’t want to have your destiny usurped by someone else. We slowed things down, and there was political pressure to not allow the Big 12 to dissolve. As we got to the early June meeting of the Big 12 board in Kansas City, (Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe) had all the presidents, chancellors and all the athletic directors in one room. There were 24 of us there, plus Beebe and a few of his staff. Beebe polled the board and said he wanted us to declare whether we were committed to the Big 12 or not.
Three schools didn’t commit at that point, and the answer I gave was different from everyone else’s. I said that A&M was committed to the Big 12 as it is today. I chose those words very carefully. Since then, I have been accused of being a liar because I committed based on a 12-team conference as it was structured in June 2010. I said my words very carefully because I was not going to set myself into a situation where the conference was radically changed and we would be committed to being in a conference we didn’t really want to be a part of.

Q: What was the tipping point to possibly leaving the Big 12?
Loftin: We went to a meeting, and it was very clear there were three schools that were looking at leaving. There were six other schools that were looking at going to the Pac-10. Over that next week, we felt the pressure building heavily. Then Larry Scott took a private jet and made his rounds to all the six schools. He went to Oklahoma first, then Oklahoma State, and then he came to see me, then to Texas Tech, and was headed back down to Texas. We were at a Sunday meeting at Easterwood Airport. Scott had a draft letter of invitation for me to see. In the conversation I said, “You are aware now that UT wants to retain its local rights to be able to have (its) own network.” Larry said that couldn’t happen. He said he made it clear to President Powers that would not be allowed. I said, “Well, I think there is a misunderstanding here.” I think that was a third factor in the following days for UT not to proceed. I wasn’t there; I can’t prove it, but I think they had a strong conversation.

Q: You pointed that out to Commissioner Scott?
Loftin: Yes. I said, “Larry, you told us what the rules are and we understand that. I am hearing from UT a different story right now, and you better explore that with them.” They did, so I think that was part of the equation. We slowed things down, there’s a little (political) pressure, and then this (Longhorn) network thing came about. Unfortunately, Bill (Byrne) was in Idaho that weekend, and the next day we couldn’t communicate well. I finally reached Beebe, and he had five secured letters from other schools that would guarantee a $20 million payout for us, UT and OU if we stayed in the Big 12. That’s where we were that Monday afternoon, and then UT announced they were not going to leave and it all kind of fell apart then.

Q: Did you always feel the SEC was a viable option for A&M?
Loftin: In June of 2010 after we made the decision to stay in the Big 12, the first conversation I had was with Mike Slive. We were talking about maybe going to the SEC at that point, so I owed that to Mike and said, “Mike, this is the direction we are going right now, and I want you to know that I really appreciate the interaction we have had over the last several months.” We talked a couple times in the fall of 2010, then I ran into him physically at the Cotton Bowl and we just had a social conversation. I always had a sense that the doorway there was not closed to us and we could certainly come back and talk about this in the future.

Q: Let’s fast forward. When the SEC presidents and chancellors met on a Sunday in August of 2011, no formal vote was taken to invite A&M into the conference. Yet the media perception was that A&M had been rejected. How frustrating was that?
Loftin: There were actually three meetings among the SEC (presidents), two face-to-face and one telephonically. That first meeting was informational, trying to get everyone on the same page. For the previous year, Mike Slive had put together a nice presentation on A&M in comparison to SEC schools. He showed in snap shots how Texas A&M looked in comparison to the SEC, such as our enrollment, budget for athletics, academic standards, and other things. He had 20 or 30 slides he put together from the summer of 2010. They had some new members on their board and chancellors, so he was educating them about that.
Again, I didn’t expect a decision to be made in that August meeting. It could have happened, but I didn’t necessarily expect it to. That was the frenzy the media had because they expected a decision, and that didn’t happen. There were some issues they raised with us. We met with Mike in New Orleans prior to that meeting with our Board of Regents and talked about some issues. After that, their lawyer was looking at the Big 12 bylaws and was as confused as we were about them. There were some things we had to look through from a legal perspective to give them some comfort for this to all take place. So, that’s where we were for our first meeting with SEC leadership.
Then fast forward, we sort of went through all of those things and resolved them. We had a sense that we could withdraw appropriately from the Big 12 in the bylaws, so I sent my letter in to the commissioner, saying we wanted to withdraw effective June 30, 2012 if we had a membership with another conference. This was identical to how Nebraska did it the year before. Beebe called me along with the chairman of their board and said, “We want you cleanly out, so let’s get this thing resolved. What do you need?” Basically they wrote a letter, which Beebe signed and that their lawyer prepared saying that we were free to go by following the process done by Nebraska that previous year.

Q: At that point, did you think everything was clear to move to the SEC?
Loftin: Yeah, we thought this was everything we needed to go forward. A second meeting among the SEC (presidents) was scheduled based on that. The Friday before that meeting is when (OU president) David Boren made his public comments about Oklahoma’s circumstances. Then the day of the meeting on Tuesday is when (Baylor president) Ken Starr made his phone calls and that threw things in disarray again. The (SEC) met and formally invited us, but they did so with the caveat of working through these legal issues that had been primarily raised by Starr, so that’s where we were after meeting two.
We worked some of these issues out with them over the next several days, and there was a third telephonic meeting that had occurred that Sunday before the Monday when we had our big event here. At that point, we had the statement from Larry Scott in the Pac-12 that they were not going to be inviting OU and OSU to join them, and that seemed to put that to bed. All we wanted to know at that point was if the Big 12 was going to survive or not. If they survive, then there is no harm done; if they fall apart, then there is nobody left to deal with. Either way this goes, we will give them a membership unconditionally in response to their request for membership. At that point, we were ready for it to happen so the (SEC) board then met that Sunday by telephone and unanimously voted us in with no conditions at all. We knew then we could celebrate Monday night (Sept. 26), and that was the end of that story.

Q: What were your conversations like with Baylor president Ken Starr?
Loftin: We only had one direct conversation about it. I pointed out to Mr. Starr that what he was doing was more destabilizing than what we were doing because he was trying to coerce a member to stay in the conference. A conference is something you are in because you want to be in it and not because you are forced to be in it. That’s my theory anyway. I likened it to the Berlin Wall in that conversation by saying, “You want to build a wall around people that want to get out, and that didn’t work out too well.” That was my comment to him. I wouldn’t say it was a shouting match, but it was a tense conversation. Since that time, I’ve been in collective telephonic conversations with him but not individually yet.

Tex Pete
10-20-2011, 01:42 PM
Nothing but little dick syndrome from a fat little dick representing a university full of tiny dicks.

MrPhlegm
10-20-2011, 01:44 PM
WHAT A sack of shit

Celery Man
10-20-2011, 01:50 PM
Jesus, what an idiot

PatrickBateman
10-20-2011, 01:58 PM
Ha, ha, ha.....The article totally skips the part of how after their commitment to stay in the Big 12-2, they decided to dismiss that commitment and high tail out of here.....Hilarious.

Dutchrudder
10-20-2011, 02:10 PM
I like how he says "UT" instead of the oft repeated 'tu'. I wish the rest of the aggie nation would realize how stupid that sounds.

housious
10-20-2011, 02:39 PM
I like how Powers basically told him to shut the fuck up when he was inquiring about the PAC 10 move.

neonmoon44
10-20-2011, 02:43 PM
Q: Let’s fast forward.

yeah, let's skip the part which makes us look like assholes

Llano Estacado
10-20-2011, 03:23 PM
We talked a couple times in the fall of 2010, then I ran into him physically at the Cotton Bowl

Shoulder checked Slive?

mez2
10-20-2011, 03:28 PM
slap some glasses on this motherfucker and you have loftin. at least to me.

http://gadgetsin.com/uploads/2010/12/angry_birds_green_pig_plush_toys_4.jpg

Eskimohorn
10-20-2011, 03:33 PM
Yeah, we all know the story in Loftin's first paragraph is unpossible because you guys are certain the realignment saga was all Mizzou's fault and we started it. Nooooo waaaaaaay UT coulda been talking to the PAC in June of 09 that'd mess that theory up

I'm sorry, we forgot you were there. You may go now.

Marti-mar
10-20-2011, 03:34 PM
I can't believe he's actually claiming this Longhorn Network thing came to his attention in 2010. He'd known about that for years at the time.

Greenspointexas
10-20-2011, 03:36 PM
slap some glasses on this motherfucker and you have loftin. at least to me.

http://gadgetsin.com/uploads/2010/12/angry_birds_green_pig_plush_toys_4.jpg

one of the absolute funniest things ive seen on this website...

Eskimohorn
10-20-2011, 03:37 PM
telephonic

Is this correct? I've never heard it said.

cdt23
10-20-2011, 03:37 PM
“You want to build a wall around people that want to get out, and that didn’t work out too well.”

Then why do the aggies keep belly aching about continuing a relationship with Texas. Texas doesn't want one, take your own advice and tell all the aggies to forget playing Texas in anything, Texas doesn't want a relationship with aggie.

TJ
10-20-2011, 03:39 PM
I don't usually say this and often find it obnoxious but motherfucking tl; dr. Fuck off, aggy.

Battlestar Bevo
10-20-2011, 03:51 PM
Editor’s note: Texas A&M University president R. Bowen Loftin sat down with 12th Man Magazine’s Homer Jacobs and Rusty Burson for an exclusive interview concerning A&M’s exit from the Big 12 and move to the Southeastern Conference:

“You are aware now that UT wants to retain its local rights to be able to have (its) own network.” Larry said that couldn’t happen. He said he made it clear to President Powers that would not be allowed. I said, “Well, I think there is a misunderstanding here.” I think that was a third factor in the following days for UT not to proceed. I wasn’t there; I can’t prove it, but I think they had a strong conversation.

Loftin: Yes. I said, “Larry, you told us what the rules are and we understand that. I am hearing from UT a different story right now, and you better explore that with them.”

Classic aggy, has to talk about and bring up UT in a conversation that has nothing to do with UT.

The total move of a pussy-hurt bitch.

tonytexan
10-20-2011, 04:04 PM
Part 2

Movers and Shakers (Part 2 of 2)
In a wide-ranging Q&A session, R. Bowen Loftin divulges how Texas A&M arrived at its 100-year decision to move to the SEC

Q: There’s an expression in real estate that states, “Time kills deals.” Were you worried these legal threats were going to kill the SEC deal?
Loftin: I don’t really think so. Throughout all of this, Mike Slive and (Florida president) Bernie Machen said, “We will get this done. Patience is required, and let’s work through these things.” Of course they were waiting to see which way things would go. There was some risk on our part of being sued, but what basis would you sue anyone on? It was always very carefully done in a sense that the SEC wanted to be sure it was clear that we approached them, not the other way around and that has been well established. We have all been very careful with that approach. I had a great conversation with Burns Hargis, the OSU president who is an attorney and former law school dean himself, who said he actually tried some of these (tortuous interference) cases himself but never won because it’s very hard to prove anyway. Even under the best of circumstances, this was a very clean situation, so we never really felt that.

Q: You’ve said that this was a 100-year decision. How did you finally make it?
Loftin: Back in 2010 as I was looking at this whole problem here—and I’m an analytical kind of guy—I was looking for a way to present this to the board the whole time. I did an analysis looking at 21 different issues that deal with conference affiliation for the Pac-12 vs. a reduced Big 12 vs. the SEC. It showed me that the preponderance of compatibility was with the SEC, so I had that in my mind a year and three months ago as an outcome of that analysis. Nothing had really changed about that. It’s the same basic analysis. We looked at land grant heritages, cultures, and fan bases. You find a lot of similarities with Texas A&M and the majority of schools in the SEC.
I also had (vice president for marketing and communications) Jason Cook looking at issues such as branding, brand value, licensing, revenue and things like that. We went a little bit deeper this time in a few areas we hadn’t looked at before as carefully. I must say Regent Jim Wilson is probably my Siamese twin. Jim is the most active person with his strong interest and background. We worked together last year and this year.

Q: Is there a misconception about the SEC’s academic reputation?
Loftin: We looked at it last year and in more detail this year. Some have made false claims that the SEC schools are open admission, which is not true and none of them are. There is a gradation there, obviously. There are fewer AAU schools than there are in the Pac-12 and the Big 12, but there are conferences that are different. Look at Conference USA with Tulane and Rice. Look at the Big West, which has UC-Irvine, Santa Barbara, and Long Beach State. You have these incompatible situations from an academic standpoint all the time in many conferences. I think many of (the misperceptions) are based more on 20 years ago than today. I had (Director of Athletic Compliance) David Batson do an individual roster comparison for me, a spreadsheet that looked at every single player in every SEC school compared to ours. What you find is the average ACT score is different by .1 from ours. The average SAT is a little broader gap, and the GPA numbers are also pretty close together. We are certainly above the average, but not any huge amount there. We are clearly in the upper half of the SEC, but A&M doesn’t stand out as being well above the average in any measure. Again, we looked pretty good compared to them, but we aren’t perfect.

Q: Will there be a significant financial windfall for A&M once it officially joins the SEC?
Loftin: We are not going to necessarily see huge TV revenue shifts from going to the SEC. We’ll probably see some, but Jason can tell you that we have the opportunity to do much more with licensing revenue and things like that. We will be competing in national venues vs. regional venues as far as visibility, and that has a big value. So, we see revenue enhancements not just from the TV contracts, but from other areas, as well, that will give us more opportunities to be able to do what we have to do in athletics here as far as keeping coaches and attracting coaches and things like that.

Q: How’s your relationship with the folks at the University of Texas these days?
Loftin: Well, I haven’t had a lot of conversations with Bill Powers recently, but we have to hang together in this state in a lot of ways. We are the only two public tier-one institutions in the state of Texas. We did a lot together in this last session and will again in the future. Mr. (DeLoss) Dodds has been plainspoken about the football game. I can’t guess what’s going to happen there, and we have been very clear that we would like to continue playing that game against Texas. Ultimately, it will be their call on whether that happens or not. I think we are prepared for the eventuality we won’t have it. I think the fan base here is OK with that. I think we would like to see it happen, but I think a lot of people have accepted the fact that we won’t play them. I do believe there will be the opportunity for us to play, not every year, but at least from time to time. They haven’t closed the door to it. Their language has been pretty guarded about it, and I can’t guess what’s going to happen.

Q: Did you think about Gen. Rudder during this process and how monumental this decision to move to the SEC could be?
Loftin: I wouldn’t characterize this on the same level (as admitting women). That was a very fundamental decision about the makeup of Texas A&M. I would not put this at that level. It’s an important decision for us—it’s a 100-year decision, which is a long time. This is a buy-in to a conference for a very long time. I think it’s an important one. We seek greater visibility for A&M on a national stage, and the SEC gives us that almost automatically. I didn’t see us getting that in the Big 12 as it was and even in the Pac-12 and the Big Ten. They do not enjoy the national visibility. We are going to be seen by a lot by people who aren’t necessarily familiar with us, or seen by our fans who don’t see us right now.
I also want to add that we are working strategically on how to better exploit our third-tier rights and how to retain and have access to those in the SEC in ways that will really help our fan base locally here enjoy all of the athletics here, not just football. It will take us a while to get there. We have a consultant in place who will help us with this, and we’ll be spending quite a few months developing a strategy that will take years to see. Over time, we will not only have the SEC benefits, but we also will exploit much better the benefits to our fans and our athletes.

Q: What’s your opinion on how the media handled this huge conference realignment story?
Loftin: You want the truth? There was some media that were pretty negative at first about us. The biggest thing I saw was the propensity of some journalists to say anything and just hope to be right. They wrote absurd stuff. Nobody verified anything. They just wrote up a headline that was the truth until the next day when it was obviously wrong, and nobody got penalized. I felt, I hate to say it, but irresponsibility was characterizing a lot of sports journalists. It bothered me a bit, and not that I was necessarily angry but I just don’t understand why they do these things.
Why do you just hope for a story that’s right by just randomly typing things? I do think there were some that were initially negative, and as the story got out more completely, that changed. I give Jason the credit there. Jason was front and center with timing, relationship-building with the journalism community and making sure that for the first time ever we shaped the message and it wasn’t shaped for us.
I think ultimately if you look today, no one is pointing a finger at us right now. There are fingers being pointed at others, but none at us. I give Jason the credit for that. He has done a great job. That is not the past. It is the present, and we are still trying to figure out how to make this work

Q: What’s been the reaction by students and former students regarding your decision?
Loftin: There is a lot of excitement from current and former students regarding this move. That was not true last year. There were lots of mixed feelings last year, and there was no clear-cut situation. Many donors were reluctant to go that way, but that changed dramatically. Just look at the 12th Man Foundation Board of Trustees. I had a number of them calling me last summer and telling me not to do this and that we belonged with the Pac-12 or to stay with the Big 12. They somehow felt we had to stay with Texas.
That’s pretty much evaporated now. Nobody really has been driving me that way. I have quite a few Aggies who wrote me or told me face-to-face a few months ago that told me not to do this, and then came back to tell me they were wrong. Very senior people flip-flopped, as they have watched this thing develop and understood more fully what was behind it. Visibility is paramount for us, and increased revenue is a good thing for us to have.
We just didn’t appreciate the lack of collegiality we were dealing with in the Big 12. Everyone was always civil, but you just don’t feel like you were being treated fairly all the time. I don’t want to blame anybody, but that’s just the way it was as the culture of the conference. I think the SEC has proven to me that they are very focused on compatibility, mutual support and acting as a unit and not individual schools. In the SEC, fundamentally you are going to be treated the same. You may be different because of who you are. If you are Florida or South Carolina, you might have different value tied to your brand and we accept that, but you are not going to be forced into compatibility by the conference’s policies. Everything has been very positive in the SEC so far.

AGGHOLE
10-20-2011, 04:15 PM
So Texas is the one that starts looking at the Pac, gets rejected, and A&M gets what it wants and is the bad guy? This is great stuff.

juz
10-20-2011, 04:17 PM
reading comprehension is not your strong suit is it?

Square Peg
10-20-2011, 04:22 PM
We seek greater visibility for A&M on a national stage, and the SEC gives us that almost automatically. I didn’t see us getting that in the Big 12 as it was and even in the Pac-12 and the Big Ten. They do not enjoy the national visibility.

That's really the crux of the matter, and where their leadership got things so wrong.

National visibility comes from lots of winning. Texas, USC, and Ohio St all had great runs (2002-2008?), none were in the SEC, and all got gobs of national exposure.

Celery Man
10-20-2011, 04:23 PM
Loftin: We looked at it last year and in more detail this year. Some have made false claims that the SEC schools are open admission, which is not true and none of them are. There is a gradation there, obviously. There are fewer AAU schools than there are in the Pac-12 and the Big 12, but there are conferences that are different. Look at Conference USA with Tulane and Rice. Look at the Big West, which has UC-Irvine, Santa Barbara, and Long Beach State. You have these incompatible situations from an academic standpoint all the time in many conferences. I think many of (the misperceptions) are based more on 20 years ago than today. I had (Director of Athletic Compliance) David Batson do an individual roster comparison for me, a spreadsheet that looked at every single player in every SEC school compared to ours. What you find is the average ACT score is different by .1 from ours. The average SAT is a little broader gap, and the GPA numbers are also pretty close together. We are certainly above the average, but not any huge amount there. We are clearly in the upper half of the SEC, but A&M doesn’t stand out as being well above the average in any measure. Again, we looked pretty good compared to them, but we aren’t perfect.

http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/2520/cp5721billymadisonprinc.jpg

Hagbard Celine
10-20-2011, 04:26 PM
omg i got one paragraph in and my brain is going to melt if i try to digest this right now.... the forecast is for massive cognitive dissonance.

will come back later after the rangers. jeezus.

bornaraider
10-20-2011, 04:34 PM
A&M doesn’t stand out as being well above the average in any measure

There you have it.

bornaraider
10-20-2011, 04:39 PM
12th Man Magazine’s Homer Jacobs and Rusty Burson

Were these guys hired because of their names?

M-Red
10-20-2011, 04:39 PM
So after leaving b/c of UT's third-tier rights deal....he says this:

I also want to add that we are working strategically on how to better exploit our third-tier rights and how to retain and have access to those in the SEC in ways that will really help our fan base locally here enjoy all of the athletics here, not just football.

http://last-dance.org/gifs/snlupdate_really.gif

neonmoon44
10-20-2011, 04:44 PM
Q: Will there be a significant financial windfall for A&M once it officially joins the SEC?
Loftin: We are not going to necessarily see huge TV revenue shifts from going to the SEC.

from the horses mouth. it's not about money

it's about getting away from Texas

but in true Aggy fashion, THEY STILL WANT TO PLAY US???????

MrPhlegm
10-20-2011, 05:05 PM
Yeah, we all know the story in Loftin's first paragraph is unpossible because you guys are certain the realignment saga was all Mizzou's fault and we started it. Nooooo waaaaaaay UT coulda been talking to the PAC in June of 09 that'd mess that theory up

what the fuck? are you on dope?

Ghost of LL
10-20-2011, 05:11 PM
Loftin: I wouldn’t characterize this on the same level (as admitting women). That was a very fundamental decision about the makeup of Texas A&M. I would not put this at that level. It’s an important decision for us—it’s a 100-year decision, which is a long time. This is a buy-in to a conference for a very long time. I think it’s an important one. We seek greater visibility for A&M on a national stage, and the SEC gives us that almost automatically. I didn’t see us getting that in the Big 12 as it was and even in the Pac-12 and the Big Ten. They do not enjoy the national visibility. We are going to be seen by a lot by people who aren’t necessarily familiar with us, or seen by our fans who don’t see us right now.
I also want to add that we are working strategically on how to better exploit our third-tier rights and how to retain and have access to those in the SEC in ways that will really help our fan base locally here enjoy all of the athletics here, not just football. It will take us a while to get there. We have a consultant in place who will help us with this, and we’ll be spending quite a few months developing a strategy that will take years to see. Over time, we will not only have the SEC benefits, but we also will exploit much better the benefits to our fans and our athletes.
Visibility? You don't think Ohio State has national visibility? You don't think USC has national visibility? You don't think Texas and Oklahoma have national visibility, you fucking hayseed?

Oh, but what do all those schools have in common that aggy doesn't? Ummmmm . . . let me think . . . ummmm . . . oh, yeah--they've each won a national championship within the last decade (and multiple in the last 72 years).

You want national visibility, you ignorant doofus? Then fucking do something that will make people pay attention to you on a national basis. And in college football, there's only one way to accomplish that--WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS. Being an SEC cellar-dweller isn't going to garner you anything on a national basis other than apathy and a little bit of pity.

Longhornmaniac8
10-20-2011, 05:44 PM
Visibility? You don't think Ohio State has national visibility? You don't think USC has national visibility? You don't think Texas and Oklahoma have national visibility, you fucking hayseed?

Oh, but what do all those schools have in common that aggy doesn't? Ummmmm . . . let me think . . . ummmm . . . oh, yeah--they've each won a national championship within the last decade (and multiple in the last 72 years).

You want national visibility, you ignorant doofus? Then fucking do something that will make people pay attention to you on a national basis. And in college football, there's only one way to accomplish that--WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS. Being an SEC cellar-dweller isn't going to garner you anything on a national basis other than apathy and a little bit of pity.

This. Plus not being so fucking creepy/weird are both good starts.

Mitch Cumsteen
10-20-2011, 06:08 PM
You know who has great national visibility? Mississippi State. And Vanderbilt. And Kentucky. And Ole Miss. And Arkansas. And South Carolina. Fucking Aggie thinks that they will automatically become like Bama or Florida by joining the SEC. This just in: nobody gives a flying fuck about you when you play shitty football. Jesus, Boise State has about 1000x the national visibility of Aggie because they play winning football. They have got to be the dumbest fucking people on earth.

USC Traveler
10-20-2011, 06:19 PM

This pretty much says it all.

B/c the corollary is how much national visibility do Vandy, Ole Miss, Miss St, and KY (football) have ?

Not much. Arky and the cocks get some exposure when playing one of the big boys when the other traditional 6 powers are beating up on teams like Vandy or an OOC cupcake, but it's not like Arky is a steady fixture on CBS or ESPN. Vast majority of national tv SEC games involve (not surprisingly) Bama, Auburn, LSU, UF, and (to a slightly lesser extent) UGA and the Vols.

Joining the SEC will mean a lot of things for Aggy, but a massive increase in national exposure is not one of them.

B00M
10-20-2011, 06:23 PM

If that were true, why is this the first we're hearing of it?

Regardless... tl;dr (first for me)

Frank Justice, Sr.
10-20-2011, 06:39 PM
Why does Loftin always have this look on his face like he wants to molest the nearest child?

DougO
10-20-2011, 07:06 PM
but in true Aggy fashion, THEY STILL WANT TO PLAY US???????

They say they do, but only because they know they will be rejected for being the traitors they are. They're just trying to turn it around for PR purposes, and to convince the agtard base that they're "winning."

Message Board User
10-20-2011, 07:07 PM
Why does Loftin always have this look on his face like he wants to molest the nearest child?

Probably because he wants to molest the nearest child.

Beast 512
10-20-2011, 07:53 PM
Why does he say the two institutions must remain together in many ways?

Lhorns101
10-20-2011, 08:24 PM

You know who has great national visibility? Mississippi State. And Vanderbilt. And Kentucky. And Ole Miss. And Arkansas. And South Carolina. Fucking Aggie thinks that they will automatically become like Bama or Florida by joining the SEC. This just in: nobody gives a flying fuck about you when you play shitty football. Jesus, Boise State has about 1000x the national visibility of Aggie because they play winning football. They have got to be the dumbest fucking people on earth.

It seems like Aggy only plays the first half when it comes to 100 year decisions also.

BurntEyes
10-20-2011, 08:32 PM

Oh, but what do all those schools have in common that aggy doesn't? Ummmmm . . . let me think . . . ummmm . . . oh, yeah--they've each won a Conference championship within the last decade .

LL, you're going way over the top. Let's lower the ring a little bit for aggy. FIFY

Lat22
10-20-2011, 08:34 PM
Yes, like Cody and Travis.

Bevo14
10-20-2011, 08:42 PM
don't care to read what head aggy child molester has to say

ifiwaspresident
10-20-2011, 09:18 PM
Did I read that correct...tortuous interference? Interrupting the airing of the world underwater basket weaving championship with aggy football would be tortuous interference.

I'm no barrister, but I'm quite confident they were alleging tortious interference. Poor dumb aggy. They should have run that article by the dean of the spelling school before going to inkjet, er I mean press.

FCHorn
10-20-2011, 09:21 PM
Fuck off, aggy.

well said...

247Bear
10-20-2011, 09:56 PM
Fuck that child molesting oompa loompa looking piece of shit with a ping pong paddle sideways.

Orange&White
10-20-2011, 10:58 PM
Now, granted, I was partially skimming through that interview, but could someone please point out the part where he discussed them taking the vast majority of the Colorado and Nebraska buyout money in order to be "committed to the Big 12" only to leave a year later?

FCHorn
10-20-2011, 11:14 PM
Fuck that child molesting oompa loompa looking piece of shit with a ping pong paddle sideways.

Very well said...

Hellraiser97
10-21-2011, 06:40 AM
Now, granted, I was partially skimming through that interview, but could someone please point out the part where he discussed them taking the vast majority of the Colorado and Nebraska buyout money in order to be "committed to the Big 12" only to leave a year later?

I believe that was in the period they 'fast forwarded' past.

Lhorns101
10-21-2011, 08:01 AM
You know you suck when you have a problem getting visibility for your state funded football program in the biggest market for football. No matter where you go you will be aggy.

stxhorn
10-21-2011, 08:54 AM
I also had (vice president for marketing and communications) Jason Cook looking at issues such as branding, brand value, licensing, revenue and things like that. We went a little bit deeper this time in a few areas we hadn’t looked at before as carefully. ...
We are not going to necessarily see huge TV revenue shifts from going to the SEC. We’ll probably see some, but Jason can tell you that we have the opportunity to do much more with licensing revenue and things like that. We will be competing in national venues vs. regional venues as far as visibility, and that has a big value. So, we see revenue enhancements not just from the TV contracts, but from other areas, as well, that will give us more opportunities to be able to do what we have to do in athletics here as far as keeping coaches and attracting coaches and things like that.If you can't sell your maroon colored crap in Texas, why do you think it's gonna sell in Baton Rouge, Gainesville, or Mobile?

Blank
10-21-2011, 09:11 AM
It seems like Aggy only plays the first half when it comes to 100 year decisions also.

Nice

Yossarian
10-21-2011, 09:55 AM
Q: What were your conversations like with Baylor president Ken Starr?
Loftin: We only had one direct conversation about it. I pointed out to Mr. Starr that what he was doing was more destabilizing than what we were doing because he was trying to coerce a member to stay in the conference.

I still can't believe this horse shit. Starr didn't do anything at all. He just refused to waive his legal rights. Somehow that destabilized the big 12? Arrogant fucktard!

Yossarian
10-21-2011, 10:01 AM
12th Man Magazine’s Homer Jacobs and Rusty Burson Trombone

fify and yes

UTHornFan014
10-21-2011, 10:32 AM
If you can't sell your maroon colored crap in Texas, why do you think it's gonna sell in Baton Rouge, Gainesville, or Mobile?

Well... Mississippi State also has that shit maroon color. Maybe they'll get confused and accidentally buy Aggy gear?

utee94
10-21-2011, 10:58 AM
I still can't believe this horse shit. Starr didn't do anything at all. He just refused to waive his legal rights. Somehow that destabilized the big 12?

Well, he at least verbally implied the threat of litigation on at least one occasion as I recall. But you're right, the only "action" he took was not an action at all. He simply refused to waive the legal rights that have never been asked to be waived before in 100 years of conference realignment activity.

Last year is a different story, but this year, any "destabilization" that has occurred in the B12 is initially the fault of the Aggies. If they hadn't dropped their underoos for the SEC in such public and embarrassing fashion, then Mizzou and the Oklahoma schools would not have started looking elsewhere, again.

mandingo
10-21-2011, 11:31 AM
Classic aggy, has to talk about and bring up UT in a conversation that has nothing to do with UT.

The total move of a pussy-hurt bitch.

This. The idot talks right up front about not liking that we're running shit, and then admits through what he says throughout the whole interview that we basically told them when & what they could do even in leaving the conference.

DemosZTV
10-21-2011, 11:47 AM
what the fuck? are you on dope?

Given that he is a Mizzou fan, meth may be the likely drug.

cardboardboxer
10-21-2011, 11:48 AM

You are completely missing the SEC's motives.

Does anyone think that Aggie is worth altering the SEC, or possibly even playing a year with 13 teams, considering what we are now? No fucking way. That is why no one believed last year that we could go to the SEC unilaterally. That is also why we don't expect to get more money for the SEC move at first- we are not worth more money as is.

But the SEC guys are the smartest guys in football for a reason. They know that with their help (aka "Here is how you buy Cam Newtons without major penalty") we could capture a large part of the Texas market. They know that every championship they help us buy allows them to raid the Longhorn warchest without dealing with your gatekeepers. They know us Aggies will happily give away all the money gained (via even revenue sharing) just for a little taste of the glory. And they know without capturing the Texas market that long-term they don't have any hope of growth.

We are a pawn in a bigger game. Just like always.

DemosZTV
10-21-2011, 11:51 AM
I still can't believe this horse shit. Starr didn't do anything at all. He just refused to waive his legal rights. Somehow that destabilized the big 12? Arrogant fucktard!

And Baylor wasn't the only one that refused to waive their rights - if I remember correctly, ISU, KU, KSU, etc. didn't either - so I don't see how several schools joining together to not waive their rights and preserve the conference is in any way destabilizing. But then, I'm not aggy, so I can't understand their "logic".

WhoooTex
10-21-2011, 12:39 PM
Scott had a draft letter of invitation for me to see. In the conversation I said, “You are aware now that UT wants to retain its local rights to be able to have (its) own network.” Larry said that couldn’t happen. He said he made it clear to President Powers that would not be allowed. I said, “Well, I think there is a misunderstanding here.” I think that was a third factor in the following days for UT not to proceed. I wasn’t there; I can’t prove it, but I think they had a strong conversation.

Loftin: Yes. I said, “Larry, you told us what the rules are and we understand that. I am hearing from UT a different story right now, and you better explore that with them.” They did, so I think that was part of the equation. We slowed things down, there’s a little (political) pressure, and then this (Longhorn) network thing came about.

That is the most absurd thing I've read in years. I can't wait until Larry Scott hears that R. Bowen Loftin thinks he's the one that figured out Texas' third-tier rights were incompatible with the Pac-12's stupid revenue sharing plan and tipped him off to it.

Cnote
10-21-2011, 01:05 PM
Is this correct? I've never heard it said.

Ya but I'm not sure it's been used since Alexander Bell unveiled the phone

kmac30
10-21-2011, 01:14 PM
it might just be my impression, but i feel like this guy (loftin) is in way over his head. he seems like a dork to me. he's always been a dork and now is his chance to hold up a football helmet and claim a voice. i feel like he's a whore for the attention and doesn't understand exactly what is going on. i could be completely wrong about the guy, that's just the impression i get. i would be embarrassed if he was speaking for my school.

mez2
10-21-2011, 02:39 PM
it might just be my impression, but i feel like this guy (loftin) is in way over his head. he seems like a dork to me. he's always been a dork and now is his chance to hold up a football helmet and claim a voice. i feel like he's a whore for the attention and doesn't understand exactly what is going on. i could be completely wrong about the guy, that's just the impression i get. i would be embarrassed if he was speaking for my school.

no, it's not just you.

groverat
10-21-2011, 04:05 PM
He seems to not understand how disconnecting his school from its region will be a huge fucking problem, both in football and especially in all other sports.

Oh well. Glad I'm a UT fan.

erniefromclass
10-21-2011, 04:18 PM
I'm no barrister

i don't give a fuck.

http://coffeenow.ytmnd.com/

mandingo
10-21-2011, 04:24 PM
Little help?

What means tl; dr?

I know it's apparently a massive insult, and is used quite a bit here, but I must have missed the thread where this started.

Thanks...I think.

ToY
10-21-2011, 04:29 PM
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tl%3Bdr

mandingo
10-21-2011, 04:45 PM
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tl%3Bdr

tl; dr.

Hah...jk.

Gracias senor. I thought this was board-specific since I'd never seen it anywhere else.

WhoooTex
10-21-2011, 05:19 PM
Little help?

What means tl; dr?

I know it's apparently a massive insult, and is used quite a bit here, but I must have missed the thread where this started.

Thanks...I think.

tl; dr

Bevo14
10-21-2011, 05:28 PM
You are completely missing the SEC's motives.

Does anyone think that Aggie is worth altering the SEC, or possibly even playing a year with 13 teams, considering what we are now? No fucking way. That is why no one believed last year that we could go to the SEC unilaterally. That is also why we don't expect to get more money for the SEC move at first- we are not worth more money as is.

But the SEC guys are the smartest guys in football for a reason. They know that with their help (aka "Here is how you buy Cam Newtons without major penalty") we could capture a large part of the Texas market. They know that every championship they help us buy allows them to raid the Longhorn warchest without dealing with your gatekeepers. They know us Aggies will happily give away all the money gained (via even revenue sharing) just for a little taste of the glory. And they know without capturing the Texas market that long-term they don't have any hope of growth.

We are a pawn in a bigger game. Just like always.

So in summary: you're looking forward to benefiting from their masterful cheating, letting them into Texas, being their gimp for a while, and living through better teams' success all the while? I suppose aggy times call for desperate measures. Or it's just aggy being aggy idk.

BMF
10-21-2011, 05:49 PM
Little help?

What means tl; dr?

Thanks...I think.
That's probably because the post that explained it was tl and you dr.

fatty4ksu
10-21-2011, 06:16 PM
UT needs new PR guys. How aTm paints UT to be the bad guy is absurd.

groverat
10-21-2011, 06:52 PM

I think Texas is doing fine.

Wicked
10-21-2011, 07:33 PM

Haters gonna hate.

Armybrat
10-21-2011, 08:43 PM
Better to be hated than to be irrelevant.

HousHorn09
10-21-2011, 08:50 PM
That interview had to be THE most idiotic piece of "journalism" I have ever read. I am now dumber for having read it. If I was an aggy, I would have to douse myself in gasoline, light myself on fire and hurl myself off a cliff conveniently located over a twenty foot pile of broken glass. And even still that would not completely remove the embarrassment I would feel for ever having an association with those morons.

Hagbard Celine
10-22-2011, 12:45 AM
Finally had a chance to read the whole thing.

I was hoping someone else had 3 hours to deconstruct and fify each sentence line by painful line. I really really wish Starr would have gotten the chance to depose this fucker.

stxhorn
10-22-2011, 03:20 AM

You can't hire any better than the BOMC.

bornaraider
10-22-2011, 08:42 AM
That interview had to be THE most idiotic piece of "journalism" I have ever read. I am now dumber for having read it. If I was an aggy, I would have to douse myself in gasoline, light myself on fire and hurl myself off a cliff conveniently located over a twenty foot pile of broken glass. And even still that would not completely remove the embarrassment I would feel for ever having an association with those morons.

Homer and Rusty no likey you no more.

Walden Ponderer
10-22-2011, 09:00 AM
National visibility comes from lots of winning. Texas, USC, and Ohio St all had great runs (2002-2008?), none were in the SEC, and all got gobs of national exposure.

This.

How much "national visibility" does Vanderbilt have? Mississippi State? Buehler? Buehler?

What really gets me, though, is the obviously circular logic. TEXAS has always publicly stated we'd prefer to be in the Big XII. Then, we are accused of some kind of chicanery because conversations have happened with other conference commissioners -- conversations, it must be pointed out, which always included our telling them we're not going anywhere without our network -- and yet, the fact of having had conversations means we meant to leave.

Really? If TEXAS wanted to leave, why would they be making impossible demands?

It makes no sense. TEXAS never had any incentive to leave the Big XII. Never. No motive. Loftin, however, has plenty of motivation to lie, and he's proven himself more than capable on several occasions of doing so. He's lucky this was an interview and not a deposition.

HousHorn09
10-22-2011, 11:17 AM
Homer and Rusty no likey you no more.

Yeah, I can live with that.

satam55
10-25-2011, 11:16 PM
Delusion at it's finest.