+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Chicken and Dumplings

Chicken and Dumplings

followed this recipe, but added more veggies and used sour cream instead of creme fraiche (where the hell do you find that in austin anyways?)

This is how it came out

Just had two bowls while watching Independence Day on AMC, damn it's a good night

Holy $#@! that's looks awesome....I'd eat a $#@!ing bucket of that...

it moved

asshat coffeedillon slams and goes hard. coffeedillon slams and goes hard. coffeedillon slams and goes hard. coffeedillon slams and goes hard. coffeedillon slams and goes hard. coffeedillon slams and goes hard. coffeedillon slams and goes hard. coffeedillon slams and goes hard. coffeedillon slams and goes hard. coffeedillon slams and goes hard. coffeedillon slams and goes hard.
    These dumplins way too big

Looks good. Love C&D, wife makes a helluva batch. And it has to be drop dumplins, not the rolled out cut in squares bull$#@!.

asshat Surly Bevo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Surly Bevo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Surly Bevo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Surly Bevo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Surly Bevo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Surly Bevo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Surly Bevo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Surly Bevo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Surly Bevo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Surly Bevo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Surly Bevo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Surly Bevo's Avatar
    Looks petty swell. When's lunch?

Quote Originally Posted by lubbockhorn88 View Post
    followed this recipe, but added more veggies and used sour cream instead of creme fraiche (where the hell do you find that in austin anyways?)

This is how it came out

Just had two bowls while watching Independence Day on AMC, damn it's a good night
    You can get creme fraiche at HEB in the fancy cheese section.

asshat random horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? random horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? random horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? random horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? random horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? random horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? random horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? random horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? random horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? random horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? random horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? random horn's Avatar
    nice

asshat Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by whoopspat View Post
    You can get creme fraiche at HEB in the fancy cheese section.
    In all honesty, for recipes like this, you'll never be able to tell the difference between sour cream and creme fraiche.

asshat Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White's Avatar
    I've gotten so lazy about chicken and dumplings that I just buy a can of Pillsbury Grands biscuits and just tear off pieces and drop them in. It's not quite as good as home made the effort/taste ratio comes out way ahead.

Agree to the above. In fact have a serving or two in the freezer that I'm taking out now to thaw out for tonight. Excellent.

bunghole B1G can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. B1G can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. B1G can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. B1G can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. B1G can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. B1G can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. B1G can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. B1G can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. B1G can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. B1G can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. B1G can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. B1G's Avatar

This is how it came out

That looks tasty!

asshat TOR Probably Shaggy Upper Class TOR Probably Shaggy Upper Class TOR Probably Shaggy Upper Class TOR Probably Shaggy Upper Class TOR Probably Shaggy Upper Class TOR Probably Shaggy Upper Class TOR Probably Shaggy Upper Class TOR Probably Shaggy Upper Class TOR Probably Shaggy Upper Class TOR Probably Shaggy Upper Class TOR Probably Shaggy Upper Class TOR's Avatar
    Notoriously Vicious and Intemperate Disposition
    Mmmm, dumplins, mmmm.

bunghole B1G can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. B1G can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. B1G can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. B1G can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. B1G can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. B1G can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. B1G can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. B1G can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. B1G can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. B1G can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. B1G can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. B1G's Avatar
    I will say that the Shag delivers when it comes to food!!!!!

Shag's Crazy Uncle Cookie MrPhlegm GORN MrPhlegm GORN MrPhlegm GORN MrPhlegm GORN MrPhlegm GORN MrPhlegm GORN MrPhlegm GORN MrPhlegm GORN MrPhlegm GORN MrPhlegm GORN MrPhlegm GORN MrPhlegm's Avatar
    meh, them puffy dumplings, gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa nasty, biscuit dumplings gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa,

rolled dumplings are the ticket

asshat juz might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? juz might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? juz might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? juz might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? juz might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? juz might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? juz might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? juz might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? juz might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? juz might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? juz might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? juz's Avatar
    looks good but chicken dumplings is not something I usually make when its 95 degrees outside

arbiter of taste huge Shaggy Gold Club huge Shaggy Gold Club huge Shaggy Gold Club huge Shaggy Gold Club huge Shaggy Gold Club huge Shaggy Gold Club huge Shaggy Gold Club huge Shaggy Gold Club huge Shaggy Gold Club huge Shaggy Gold Club huge Shaggy Gold Club huge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by juz View Post
    looks good but chicken dumplings is not something I usually make when its 95 degrees outside
    This. Also, ID4 love is not going to fly with me.

asshat formermav43 Shaggy Gold Club formermav43 Shaggy Gold Club formermav43 Shaggy Gold Club formermav43 Shaggy Gold Club formermav43 Shaggy Gold Club formermav43 Shaggy Gold Club formermav43 Shaggy Gold Club formermav43 Shaggy Gold Club formermav43 Shaggy Gold Club formermav43 Shaggy Gold Club formermav43 Shaggy Gold Club
    That looks pretty good.

On the other hand, growing up, chicken and dumplings meant 1)rolled dumplings and 2) no vegetables. And that was no matter who prepared it, it was universal in my world. So that's what I prefer.

asshat Tap Dancing KungFu Master is a rep whore. Tap Dancing KungFu Master is a rep whore. Tap Dancing KungFu Master is a rep whore. Tap Dancing KungFu Master is a rep whore. Tap Dancing KungFu Master is a rep whore. Tap Dancing KungFu Master is a rep whore. Tap Dancing KungFu Master is a rep whore. Tap Dancing KungFu Master is a rep whore. Tap Dancing KungFu Master is a rep whore. Tap Dancing KungFu Master is a rep whore. Tap Dancing KungFu Master is a rep whore. Tap Dancing KungFu Master's Avatar
    I'm thinking it may be the weekend to revive this thread.

asshat slorch GORN slorch GORN slorch GORN slorch GORN slorch GORN slorch GORN slorch GORN slorch GORN slorch GORN slorch GORN slorch GORN slorch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPhlegm View Post
    meh, them puffy dumplings, gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa nasty, biscuit dumplings gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa,

rolled dumplings are the ticket
    agreed. Wife made a new recipe about a week ago that had puffy dumplins and she got this:

then I got this:

asshat Tap Dancing KungFu Master is a rep whore. Tap Dancing KungFu Master is a rep whore. Tap Dancing KungFu Master is a rep whore. Tap Dancing KungFu Master is a rep whore. Tap Dancing KungFu Master is a rep whore. Tap Dancing KungFu Master is a rep whore. Tap Dancing KungFu Master is a rep whore. Tap Dancing KungFu Master is a rep whore. Tap Dancing KungFu Master is a rep whore. Tap Dancing KungFu Master is a rep whore. Tap Dancing KungFu Master is a rep whore. Tap Dancing KungFu Master's Avatar
    $#@! puffy dumplins

asshat Hollywood Colt GORN Hollywood Colt GORN Hollywood Colt GORN Hollywood Colt GORN Hollywood Colt GORN Hollywood Colt GORN Hollywood Colt GORN Hollywood Colt GORN Hollywood Colt GORN Hollywood Colt GORN Hollywood Colt GORN Hollywood Colt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tap Dancing KungFu Master View Post
    I'm thinking it may be the weekend to revive this thread.
    crushing a leftover bowl for lunch today.

Quote Originally Posted by formermav43 View Post
    That looks pretty good.

On the other hand, growing up, chicken and dumplings meant 1)rolled dumplings and 2) no vegetables. And that was no matter who prepared it, it was universal in my world. So that's what I prefer.
    Mother$#@! this. Also fried chicken HAS to accompany dumplins. And in my world there is no "G".

My grandma's recipe has straight up lard in it. I can hear my arteries clogging as I slurp them down.

asshat creasy is a rep whore. creasy is a rep whore. creasy is a rep whore. creasy is a rep whore. creasy is a rep whore. creasy is a rep whore. creasy is a rep whore. creasy is a rep whore. creasy is a rep whore. creasy is a rep whore. creasy is a rep whore. creasy's Avatar
    Turkey and dumplings.

Quote Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
    Mother$#@! this. Also fried chicken HAS to accompany dumplins. And in my world there is no "G".

My grandma's recipe has straight up lard in it. I can hear my arteries clogging as I slurp them down.
    Fried chicken in with the dumplins?

asshat GottaB grows his own roses GottaB grows his own roses GottaB grows his own roses GottaB grows his own roses GottaB grows his own roses GottaB grows his own roses GottaB grows his own roses GottaB grows his own roses GottaB grows his own roses GottaB grows his own roses GottaB grows his own roses GottaB's Avatar
    Been doing the pilsbury biscuit thing my whole life.

Anyone have a recipe for rolled dumplings?

Quote Originally Posted by Tap Dancing KungFu Master View Post
    Fried chicken in with the dumplins?
    Negative ghost rider. Fried chicken WITH the dumplins.

You are a hero

asshat slorch GORN slorch GORN slorch GORN slorch GORN slorch GORN slorch GORN slorch GORN slorch GORN slorch GORN slorch GORN slorch GORN slorch's Avatar
    Original recipe makes 6 to 8 servings
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/3 cup shortening
    1/2 cup milk
    2 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth

Directions

Combine flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in shortening and add milk to make a stiff dough.
    Roll out to about 1/8 inch thickness and cut into 1 inch squares, 1 to 1 1/2 inch strips or diamonds. Sprinkle lightly with flour and drop into boiling chicken stock. Cover tightly and boil gently for 8 to 10 minutes.

I think I'm going with ghetto canned biscuit dumplins.

#team puffy dumplings

Might try my hand a batch tonight

i love dumplings, $#@!ing love them. I'd bet thousands that creasy's are amazing

asshat Basil Your Face GORN Basil Your Face GORN Basil Your Face GORN Basil Your Face GORN Basil Your Face GORN Basil Your Face GORN Basil Your Face GORN Basil Your Face GORN Basil Your Face GORN Basil Your Face GORN Basil Your Face GORN Basil Your Face's Avatar
    Yeah, sounds gay.

Let's get started, shall we:

yardbird can indeed swim

whar'd you go chikin?

Oh, there you are.....

Moar paydirt here...look at all that flavor

Here's where the magic starts.....notice no cut outs or rolled out $#@!

"I know how you kids like 'em extra sloppy puffy"

Money shot....look at that gooey outside and breadlike interior

And here we are

Go ahead and start the line for puffy converts here.

Oh and if this doesn't warm my $#@!les enough, I've always got this

asshat Blain might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Blain might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Blain might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Blain might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Blain might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Blain might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Blain might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Blain might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Blain might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Blain might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Blain might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Blain's Avatar
    My batch should be ready about game time.

Epic. $#@!ing epic, DP. The way dumplins should be. The wife always tries to make sure the dumplins are plenty big for me, she doesn't like them too big, too doughy for her.

FTR, I'll eat puffy or rolled. i just prefer the rolled more.

i hit that stuff with some Sriracha or Cholula for final presentation too.

Tripled up a recipe I found
    Attached Images

asshat Texas St. Armadillos Shaggy Gold Club Texas St. Armadillos Shaggy Gold Club Texas St. Armadillos Shaggy Gold Club Texas St. Armadillos Shaggy Gold Club Texas St. Armadillos Shaggy Gold Club Texas St. Armadillos Shaggy Gold Club Texas St. Armadillos Shaggy Gold Club Texas St. Armadillos Shaggy Gold Club Texas St. Armadillos Shaggy Gold Club Texas St. Armadillos Shaggy Gold Club Texas St. Armadillos Shaggy Gold Club Texas St. Armadillos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by slorch View Post
    Original recipe makes 6 to 8 servings
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/3 cup shortening
    1/2 cup milk
    2 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth

Directions

Combine flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in shortening and add milk to make a stiff dough.
    Roll out to about 1/8 inch thickness and cut into 1 inch squares, 1 to 1 1/2 inch strips or diamonds. Sprinkle lightly with flour and drop into boiling chicken stock. Cover tightly and boil gently for 8 to 10 minutes.
    Made c&d tonight and had never made the rolled dumplings before. Used this recipe, but I didn't have any shortening so........I used bacon drippings.

Amazing.

asshat juz might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? juz might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? juz might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? juz might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? juz might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? juz might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? juz might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? juz might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? juz might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? juz might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? juz might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? juz's Avatar
    dumplings and nipples, things that are better puffy

bisquick for dumplings? interesting, never tried that.

best c&d in a restaurant i've ever had was from dot's, when they were still on howard, before they moved to pflugerville, before they shut down for good.

asshat NotActuallyALonghorn Shaggy Gold Club NotActuallyALonghorn Shaggy Gold Club NotActuallyALonghorn Shaggy Gold Club NotActuallyALonghorn Shaggy Gold Club NotActuallyALonghorn Shaggy Gold Club NotActuallyALonghorn Shaggy Gold Club NotActuallyALonghorn Shaggy Gold Club NotActuallyALonghorn Shaggy Gold Club NotActuallyALonghorn Shaggy Gold Club NotActuallyALonghorn Shaggy Gold Club NotActuallyALonghorn Shaggy Gold Club NotActuallyALonghorn's Avatar
    I've never seen C&D like in the OP, but they look like they'd be worth giving a try. I've always been a rolled dumpling fan, as that's how my mom always made them. I never even knew using biscuit dough or tortillas was a thing until I had them at friend's house growing up. Screw that mess.

Quote Originally Posted by NotActuallyALonghorn View Post
    I've never seen C&D like in the OP, but they look like they'd be worth giving a try. I've always been a rolled dumpling fan, as that's how my mom always made them. I never even knew using biscuit dough or tortillas was a thing until I had them at friend's house growing up. Screw that mess.
    Blasphemy not making them from scratch….might as well heat up some wolf brand chili WITH beans and some pace picante sauce.

Made this the other day, recipe was from Cook's Illustrated.

asshat RPM might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? RPM might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? RPM might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? RPM might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? RPM might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? RPM might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? RPM might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? RPM might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? RPM might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? RPM might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? RPM might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? RPM's Avatar
    At HEB in the ethnic section, too.

OK, I've always done the Pillsbury biscuit dough. Sue me. I hate baking -- my baked desserts, etc. always suck (unless we're talking about a box of cake mix or brownies or something, which doesn't count).

So is the slorch recipe pretty bulletproof for dumplings or is it as fussy as most other baked goods? 'cause homemade dumplings sounds really good right about now. Is butter a bad sub for shortening?

Ya'll make some very funk looking dumplings. That would not fly in Georgia. My grandma rolled the dough out about 1/8" thick then cut them into 1" squares. Even tearing flour tortillas up would be bettr than the bigass biscuit flour glob montrosities you're putting in there. But otherwise, you go girl.

+ Reply to Thread