+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Thread: My weight loss thread

thanks obama jt has a gigantic e-peen. jt has a gigantic e-peen. jt has a gigantic e-peen. jt has a gigantic e-peen. jt has a gigantic e-peen. jt has a gigantic e-peen. jt has a gigantic e-peen. jt has a gigantic e-peen. jt has a gigantic e-peen. jt has a gigantic e-peen. jt has a gigantic e-peen. jt's Avatar
    i'm doing decent w/ my goals, not great.

1st week i made 2 yoga classes and rode 20 miles - 1 ride.
    2nd week i made 2 yoga classes and rode 24 miles - 1 ride. jacked my back up pretty bad so i missed 2 opportunities to go to yoga - could barely walk.
    this is week 3 and i already have 2 yoga classes done and should get 4 in, w/ a ride on sunday (i'm riding w/ the jack and adam's sunday morning training ride - never know until you're there how long they are).

i can really only ride one day a week until the time change, and then i should be able to get a 2nd or 3rd day in after work. for some reason i've been a huge pussy and not done any of my pushup workout, even though it's ridiculously easy - need to make that happen. only cheated a couple of times - one trip to the chinese buffet (1 plate only), a bag of flipz choc covered pretzels and a couple of beers/$#@!tails (twice - and low calorie $#@!tails at that). weighed myself sunday and i'm down 8lbs or so.

asshat Longhorn Al is a rep whore. Longhorn Al is a rep whore. Longhorn Al is a rep whore. Longhorn Al is a rep whore. Longhorn Al is a rep whore. Longhorn Al is a rep whore. Longhorn Al is a rep whore. Longhorn Al is a rep whore. Longhorn Al is a rep whore. Longhorn Al is a rep whore. Longhorn Al is a rep whore. Longhorn Al's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aqua Buddha View Post
    Living well is the best revenge.

You're starting to get there one step at a time.
    Quote Originally Posted by drinkdrink-yak View Post
    I lost well over 10% of my weight just from being depressed after my breakup with a gf of 7 years. I guess that's one good thing.

I'm impressed that so soon after the breakup you are looking to better yourself, look to the future, and have what seems like a positive attitude. $#@! took me a long time and I'm not sure I'm even there yet. Take pride in that, not easy at all.
    Thanks.

Maybe I am looking to the future and trying to move on so quickly because that's exactly what she did. I'm 28, 29 in May. I'd like to have a family. No use in waiting around. Have to get my $#@! together so I can be of some use to a girl. ha

asshat KaiserSoze might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? KaiserSoze might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? KaiserSoze might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? KaiserSoze might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? KaiserSoze might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? KaiserSoze might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? KaiserSoze might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? KaiserSoze might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? KaiserSoze might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? KaiserSoze might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? KaiserSoze might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? KaiserSoze's Avatar
    Keep it up Al and it's good to see you posting updates.

Quote Originally Posted by jt View Post
    could barely wmy pushup workout
    What are the details on your pushup workout?

Quote Originally Posted by jt View Post
    a bag of flipz choc covered pretzels
    I love those.

asshat Longhorn Al is a rep whore. Longhorn Al is a rep whore. Longhorn Al is a rep whore. Longhorn Al is a rep whore. Longhorn Al is a rep whore. Longhorn Al is a rep whore. Longhorn Al is a rep whore. Longhorn Al is a rep whore. Longhorn Al is a rep whore. Longhorn Al is a rep whore. Longhorn Al is a rep whore. Longhorn Al's Avatar
    Got my scale today. Just tried it out. I am/was a lot heavier than I realized. My old scales just aren't reliable. I can do things that I wasn't able to just 2 weeks ago, though.

I just calculated my BMR, calories burned/intake for the month so far. The math says I've lost 12 lbs in the last 2 weeks. I believe it. I don't care that I started out higher than I thought. At this rate, I'll be back under 300 in no time.

Quote Originally Posted by Longhorn Al View Post
    Thanks.

Maybe I am looking to the future and trying to move on so quickly because that's exactly what she did. I'm 28, 29 in May. I'd like to have a family. No use in waiting around. Have to get my $#@! together so I can be of some use to a girl. ha
    Don't move too fast. Let's get you back in shape first. Your weight ballooned for a reason. Let's take care of that reason and then along the way back, you might meet somebody.

Just remember, the first 30 days are the hardest and you absolutely have to be committed.

Congratulations Al! Sounds like you're doing awesome so far.

As far as how to getting over a girl - I don't think anyone has a great answer to that, but I recommend get a (new) hobby. Preferably outside and preferably that has other people around to help you meet new people (not just girls all kinds of people).

A buddy and I saw an article about the 10 most haunted places in Texas and went and checked out as many as we could and that we could get to and back in a weekend - and finding weekend stuff like that would be fun and a great way to meet new people - everywhere we went we'd make sure to find a local diner and ask any of the locals there about said haunted places

I got into backpacking, paintballing, photography (no homo), biking, ect and we're always looking through google for new stuff to go check out that's close. Hell, I'm a 120 bowler on my best day and we just signed a group up to do the Austin Sports and Social Club

Anything that keeps you out, in the sun or interacting with people will help you meet new people which will directly or indirectly lead to next gf and keep you in good spirits.

Good luck bud, keep us posted on your progress

asshat STFU Donny Shaggy Gold Club STFU Donny Shaggy Gold Club STFU Donny Shaggy Gold Club STFU Donny Shaggy Gold Club STFU Donny Shaggy Gold Club STFU Donny Shaggy Gold Club STFU Donny Shaggy Gold Club STFU Donny Shaggy Gold Club STFU Donny Shaggy Gold Club STFU Donny Shaggy Gold Club STFU Donny Shaggy Gold Club STFU Donny's Avatar
    Keep posting, Al. Buncha $#@!s on this site, but they'll keep you on the straight and narrow. So to speak.

Those long walks are the best way to melt off those first "x" pounds. Don't do like I do and always try to ratchet up the intensity too fast. You're doing great.

thanks obama jt has a gigantic e-peen. jt has a gigantic e-peen. jt has a gigantic e-peen. jt has a gigantic e-peen. jt has a gigantic e-peen. jt has a gigantic e-peen. jt has a gigantic e-peen. jt has a gigantic e-peen. jt has a gigantic e-peen. jt has a gigantic e-peen. jt has a gigantic e-peen. jt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KaiserSoze View Post
    What are the details on your pushup workout?
    last xmas (maybe the one before?), i asked for and received this:

honestly one of the best gifts i've ever been given. easiest, most effective workout i've ever done. here's the workout chart: http://www.ironcompany.com/ProductIm.../pp-poster.pdf

asshat judge roybeanbag might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? judge roybeanbag might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? judge roybeanbag might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? judge roybeanbag might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? judge roybeanbag might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? judge roybeanbag might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? judge roybeanbag might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? judge roybeanbag might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? judge roybeanbag might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? judge roybeanbag might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? judge roybeanbag might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? judge roybeanbag's Avatar
    Hey Al, good to see you're keeping it up. Hadn't been in touch with you for a while - family stuff has been eating me alive since Thanksgiving, really. Keep it up, man!

Thanks for the motivation, y'all.

Overtime is starting to ramp up at work. That means I'll be at work from 6am till 6:30pm on a lot of days. That doesn't leave me much time to walk after work. I don't like walking after sundown. Today, I'm going to start walking the parking lot on my breaks. 12 hours shift means I get 4 15-minute breaks, so I'll still get my 60 total mins in. That'll actually be a little better than what I've been doing at Searight Park with my 42-minute walks. I am still walking at an easy pace, about 2.5-2.75 mph. Still gets me breathing heavier, so I know my heart rate is up.

What do y'all think about breaking up the exercise into increments? Is it still as effective?

asshat bikerack can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. bikerack can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. bikerack can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. bikerack can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. bikerack can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. bikerack can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. bikerack can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. bikerack can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. bikerack can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. bikerack can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. bikerack can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. bikerack's Avatar
    Down 11 since Christmas. I'm just cutting calories (using the LoseIt! app to track) and walking more during the day (instead of just sitting behind my desk for 8 hours). Goal was to lose 25 and I am almost halfway there. I'll probably still use the app to track calories but put it in "maintain" mode instead of "lose 1.5 lbs per week" mode.

Thanks for the motivation, y'all.

Overtime is starting to ramp up at work. That means I'll be at work from 6am till 6:30pm on a lot of days. That doesn't leave me much time to walk after work. I don't like walking after sundown. Today, I'm going to start walking the parking lot on my breaks. 12 hours shift means I get 4 15-minute breaks, so I'll still get my 60 total mins in. That'll actually be a little better than what I've been doing at Searight Park with my 42-minute walks. I am still walking at an easy pace, about 2.5-2.75 mph. Still gets me breathing heavier, so I know my heart rate is up.

What do y'all think about breaking up the exercise into increments? Is it still as effective?
    Is there a gym you can join so you can go after work?

I don't feel like paying money for a gym when I have weights at home and I can walk anywhere for free. ha

asshat Austinvines slams and goes hard. Austinvines slams and goes hard. Austinvines slams and goes hard. Austinvines slams and goes hard. Austinvines slams and goes hard. Austinvines slams and goes hard. Austinvines slams and goes hard. Austinvines slams and goes hard. Austinvines slams and goes hard. Austinvines slams and goes hard. Austinvines slams and goes hard. Austinvines's Avatar
    This thread has become a christmas tree of weight loss chatter so I thought I'd add a little of my own.

On another thread someone mentioned My Fit Foods, Mel's Meals or Snap. My BMI is a whopping 34 and my trics are high and my hdl is low so before my doc puts me on statin drugs I decided to see if I could do anything to reverse the trend. I am a good cook but my thinking in recipes trend toward if it calls for milk, use heavy cream and that bacon fat is a perfect substitute for olive oil. I see lower fat/lower cal recipes and they just don't do it for me. Last Tuesday morning I got on the scales at 238 and started the holidays at 225. I stopped drinking (bottle of vino a day holla) and started tracking again and called Mel's Meals to set up an appointment. To lose 1.5 pounds a week on My Plate was about 2000 cal per day and I figure I was eating closer to 2800-3k and was doing $#@! for exercise.

Mel's dietitian suggested 1700-1900 per day and I am currently a week into a 21 day "challenge" that all these types of providers do. The scale said 227 this morning and I am feeling pretty energetic. I can't imagine 1500 cals at your weight, Al. While I am not hungry all the time because I get 3 meals a day plus 2 snacks, I $#@!ing love it when my dinner is over 500 calories. My hope is that in 3 weeks I will have figured out what a healthy diet is and have discovered some foods I normally would never go near ($#@!ing beets? who knew they weren't the canned glob of $#@! that I got in the kindergarten lunch line?)

Of course, the more you lose, the less you need calorie-wise to keep losing and that is going to be a challenge for me as well. I've set a reachable goal of 200 for my 20th reunion this fall and another one of 185 that if I reach, I am going to buy myself something very nice as a reward. A new wardrobe will be required regardless but being able to buy off the rack and not getting "big" dress shirts for my 18" bullneck will be great.

asshat cam4mav can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. cam4mav can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. cam4mav can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. cam4mav can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. cam4mav can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. cam4mav can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. cam4mav can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. cam4mav can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. cam4mav can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. cam4mav can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. cam4mav can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. cam4mav's Avatar
    thinking along the lines of cardio vs anaerobic
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Exercise_zones.png
    One thing you could do is go a little bit harder in each 15 minutes section. You'll have recovery time during the day that will continue to burn calories if you push a little bit harder.

4 15 minute sessions at the same pace actually burns less calories than 1 60 minute session at the same pace. to get the same end day calorie burn, increase the pace a little. If your conditioning is up to it, you could actually push harder and burn many more calories in the same or even less time depending on how hard you push.
    There is a term for this but I can't recall it. It's because even after you stop, you burn calories as you recover from the more intense activity compared to less recovery burn (made up term I'm butchering this) from a longer cardio session.

15 minutes @ 2.5 mph x 4 burns LESS calories than 60 minutes @ 2.5 mph
    15 minutes @ 3/4 mph x 3 burns about the same calories 60 minutes @ 2.5 mph
    15 minutes @ 3/4 mph x 4 burns MANY MORE calories 60 minutes @ 2.5 mph

I hope that makes sense and/or someone more knowledgeable can clear it up

asshat cam4mav can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. cam4mav can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. cam4mav can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. cam4mav can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. cam4mav can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. cam4mav can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. cam4mav can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. cam4mav can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. cam4mav can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. cam4mav can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. cam4mav can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. cam4mav's Avatar
    @AustinVines

keep it up!

if you can stick to making your own healthier meals, you gradually will not miss the bacon fat and cream and cheese and such as much. Before last summer I put melted cheese and bacon and all sorts of crap on everything I ate at the restaurant I work at. During the summer break I commited to less salt and less fat when cooking, and after about a month I didn't crave it anymore. I lost 10 pounds that summer and have been slowly losing weight since, even kept from gaining any over christmas break. I was 185 starting June. 175 end July, 170 @ christmas, currently 167. goal is a fit 160 and being able to dunk (6ft tall). slowly getting there.
    My go to breakfast is an egg white omelette with tons of veggies and some turkey sausage. 4 egg whites, mushroom, tomato, onion, red pepper, anaheim chile, green pepper, and about 2 oz of sliced lean sausage. it was a huge meal, but only 400 calories.

also I'm sure this is mentioned all over the thread, but WATER WATER WATER WATER WATER. no need for empty calories from booze and soda, plus being truly hydrated lets your body run more efficiently and burn through fat calories.

I hate sweating at work, but I'll eventually try to up the pace just a bit. Maybe 3 mph in a week or two.

Livestrong says for my age and weight that:
    60 mins @ 2.5 mph = 646 calories
    60 mins @ 4.0 mph = 1077 calories

At 15 mins, it's 162 vs. 269.

sweating at work would be very annoying to deal with multiple times a day

asshat Stu grows his own roses Stu grows his own roses Stu grows his own roses Stu grows his own roses Stu grows his own roses Stu grows his own roses Stu grows his own roses Stu grows his own roses Stu grows his own roses Stu grows his own roses Stu grows his own roses Stu's Avatar
    I don't feel like paying money for a gym when I have weights at home and I can walk anywhere for free. ha
    Why not combine your weight training with your cardio? Look up some circuit training routines. Example, say you're doing 3 sets of 10 on bench. Immediately after your first set of bench, go straight into a set of arm curls and then straight back into a set of bench. Kills 2 birds with one stone.

asshat Mountaineer Maniac grows his own roses Mountaineer Maniac grows his own roses Mountaineer Maniac grows his own roses Mountaineer Maniac grows his own roses Mountaineer Maniac grows his own roses Mountaineer Maniac grows his own roses Mountaineer Maniac grows his own roses Mountaineer Maniac grows his own roses Mountaineer Maniac grows his own roses Mountaineer Maniac grows his own roses Mountaineer Maniac grows his own roses Mountaineer Maniac's Avatar
    I'm at 240 now, after starting out at 285 in August. I've started increasing the intensity of my workouts though as it's becoming harder to lose weight as my body adjusts to healthy eating habits.

Props to all you guys that are making it work.

I'm 6'4" 280 currently, I've always been a big guy, but would like to lose 30 lbs and get back to my college/ in-shape weight.

My main issues are:
    1) eating out - I do a lot of field work and eat on the road.
    2) portion size - I still eat like I did when I was young(er) and athletic.
    3) when I do get home, I'm usually too tired to think about going to the gym. There's hardly enough time to get the kids fed, showered, homework done, and in bed.
    4) brewing and having multiple kegs on tap isn't any help either.

Then why don't you walk/run after work so you can do it longer?

Quote Originally Posted by Brewin'1up View Post
    Props to all you guys that are making it work.

I'm 6'4" 280 currently, I've always been a big guy, but would like to lose 30 lbs and get back to my college/ in-shape weight.

My main issues are:
    1) eating out - I do a lot of field work and eat on the road.
    2) portion size - I still eat like I did when I was young(er) and athletic.
    3) when I do get home, I'm usually too tired to think about going to the gym. There's hardly enough time to get the kids fed, showered, homework done, and in bed.
    4) brewing and having multiple kegs on tap isn't any help either.
    We ran into the same problem with meals, being busy and all. What helped us was planning out your meals for the week. We found that whenever we were hungry and/or running late without something waiting at home, we'd just grab something or go out. What we did was just plan on the weekend what we were having each night and buy in advance.

In your case, you're on the road a lot so you might try packing some lunches but if you're on an extended trip, I know that's probably not realistic.....

Then why don't you walk/run after work so you can do it longer?
    I don't really want to walk after sundown. I'm going to try walking on my breaks for awhile and see how it goes.

I just finished my 4th walk and I'm about to go home. I actually feel more tired now than after one of my 60 minute trail walks.

I don't really want to walk after sundown. I'm going to try walking on my breaks for awhile and see how it goes.

I just finished my 4th walk and I'm about to go home. I actually feel more tired now than after one of my 60 minute trail walks.
    Why don't you quit finding reasons not to work out and start finding ways to do it?

I apologize for sounding like an $#@! but this site is full of $#@!s but you're 30ish and over 300 pounds. There's a reason for that and we're starting to figure out what it is. You choose the easy path. (There may be more to this but that's for you to examine.) You'll be 40 years old in what will seem like tomorrow and if you don't get your weight under control, your body will then be about 5-10 years before it goes to total $#@!. Losing weight will not get easier as you get older.

You don't want to join a gym. You don't want to walk after sundown. You don't want to get too sweaty at work. You're going to have to do something you don't want to do to change. Doing what you've always done got you to where you're at now. We're not talking about minor adjustments here. We're talking about a lifestyle change.

So, instead of telling us what you won't do, start by telling us what you're willing to do. The first step is the hardest but it's by far and away not the last step.
    Last edited by Aqua Buddha; 01-19-2012 at 07:07 PM.

asshat u2-horn grows his own roses u2-horn grows his own roses u2-horn grows his own roses u2-horn grows his own roses u2-horn grows his own roses u2-horn grows his own roses u2-horn grows his own roses u2-horn grows his own roses u2-horn grows his own roses u2-horn grows his own roses u2-horn grows his own roses u2-horn's Avatar
    I highly recommend myfitnesspal.com and/or their mobile app. Enter your stats/goals/etc, and they tell you how many calories to eat. You HAVE to track what you're eating. Even a few chips here or there...track it all. This is basically how/why Weight Watchers works for people who follow the program to a T.

And make sure you're eating enough.

asshat u2-horn grows his own roses u2-horn grows his own roses u2-horn grows his own roses u2-horn grows his own roses u2-horn grows his own roses u2-horn grows his own roses u2-horn grows his own roses u2-horn grows his own roses u2-horn grows his own roses u2-horn grows his own roses u2-horn grows his own roses u2-horn's Avatar
    Also, get a heart rate monitor to track your calories burned. You should be eating back those calories.

Quote Originally Posted by u2-horn View Post
    Also, get a heart rate monitor to track your calories burned. You should be eating back those calories.
    What does that mean? Eating back those calories?

Why don't you quit finding reasons not to work out and start finding ways to do it?

I apologize for sounding like an $#@! but this site is full of $#@!s but you're 30ish and over 300 pounds. There's a reason for that and we're starting to figure out what it is. You choose the easy path. (There may be more to this but that's for you to examine.) You'll be 40 years old in what will seem like tomorrow and if you don't get your weight under control, your body will then be about 5-10 years before it goes to total $#@!. Losing weight will not get easier as you get older.

You don't want to join a gym. You don't want to walk after sundown. You don't want to get too sweaty at work. You're going to have to do something you don't want to do to change. Doing what you've always done got you to where you're at now. We're not talking about minor adjustments here. We're talking about a lifestyle change.

So, instead of telling us what you won't do, start by telling us what you're willing to do. The first step is the hardest but it's by far and away not the last step.
    I walked 60 minutes today. I'm ok with it being split up for the days I'm working 12 hours. It's 60 minutes more than I'd normally walk.

asshat ndawg can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. ndawg can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. ndawg can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. ndawg can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. ndawg can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. ndawg can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. ndawg can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. ndawg can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. ndawg can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. ndawg can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. ndawg can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night.
    Then either lift weights at home after work or sell them.

Also, if your job stops you from exercising find a new one. Your health is more important.

Why sacrifice your health to make money just so that by the time you've actually got some wealth you can't physically enjoy it anymore?

Your life and priorities are calibrated perfectly to enable the state you're in.

asshat texasdago Shaggy Gold Club texasdago Shaggy Gold Club texasdago Shaggy Gold Club texasdago Shaggy Gold Club texasdago Shaggy Gold Club texasdago Shaggy Gold Club texasdago Shaggy Gold Club texasdago Shaggy Gold Club texasdago Shaggy Gold Club texasdago Shaggy Gold Club texasdago Shaggy Gold Club texasdago's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ndawg View Post

Also, if your job stops you from exercising find a new one. Your health is more important.

Why sacrifice your health to make money just so that by the time you've actually got some wealth you can't physically enjoy it anymore?

Your life and priorities are calibrated perfectly to enable the state you're in.
    Exactly... I work out during lunch at work - 3-4 times a week. Instead of going and eating what I want, hanging out with coworkers, I make a decision to take care of fitness during my free time. I make it a priority. If I don't, I feel bad about it later and I don't want to feel that way. Life is about choices... choices in what you eat, in what you do, etc. You have to decide to do it and then do it.

It's kinda starting to be like people aren't even reading my posts...

Oh, and quitting a secure job in this economy would not be the smartest thing I could do. I'll make it work.

Keep it going man! You're inspiring me to kick it into second gear. I've recently lost over 100lbs and have stayed consistent at 270 lbs but can't seem to lose anymore. Struggling but I'm still down my 100. Weight watchers has been my success. Keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by ndawg View Post

I'd second that.

We're talking about a lifestyle change here. You don't have to quit your job but you need to find a way to work around it. It was extremely hard for me at first to come home from work, change clothes, head back out to the gym, and then not eat until 7:30ish on some nights. In the past, once I got home, I'd change into shorts and a T-shirt and just be comfortable. That was the problem, though. I was too comfortable.

That's not the issue. I just don't want to pay a gym fee. Been there, done that.

I will keep this up until I plateau. Walking 60 minutes while at work on my 12 hour days. On my normal 10 hour days, I will walk 30 at work and 40-45 after work on the trail. I'm also going to be incorporating some simple lifts next Monday. I want to do upper body mostly when lifting. My legs get a workout as I walk. You have to remember that walking isn't just aerobic for me. It's like doing a dead lift and walking around. When I played HS football my thighs were 34" and my calves were about 19-20". They still aren't far off from that. As I've been walking, I can feel the muscles really starting to come back already.

I want to do something like:

Monday - triceps, chest, shoulders
    Thursday - biceps, back

I'm going from a life with 0 exercise, so anything I can do is beneficial. It's not like I played basketball everyday and now I want to lose a few extra pounds. I was in the absolute worst shape of my life just 2 weeks ago. I already feel lighter on my feet, which has more to do with my muscles than losing weight. I feel a lot better already. I'll feel amazing in 3 months or so when I get under that 300lb threshold.

I am not looking for ways to avoid exercise. I am not trying to be comfortable. I am finding ways to work out where I can. I said I don't like walking after sundown because I enjoy walking those nature trails. There are no lights after sundown. Can't see $#@!. If I can find a decent HS or MS track with enough light, I will probably start walking that as well. Bowie isn't very bright and that's the closest one to me. Anyone know of a nicely lit track in South Austin?

By the way, I'm down another 2 lbs. 14 total.
    Last edited by Longhorn Al; 01-20-2012 at 10:58 AM.

asshat MagnificentBastard Shaggy Gold Club MagnificentBastard Shaggy Gold Club MagnificentBastard Shaggy Gold Club MagnificentBastard Shaggy Gold Club MagnificentBastard Shaggy Gold Club MagnificentBastard Shaggy Gold Club MagnificentBastard Shaggy Gold Club MagnificentBastard Shaggy Gold Club MagnificentBastard Shaggy Gold Club MagnificentBastard Shaggy Gold Club MagnificentBastard Shaggy Gold Club MagnificentBastard's Avatar
    Take a flashlight?

I run at 5am with a headlamp, but a regular hand-held flashlight is fine for walking.
    Last edited by MagnificentBastard; 01-20-2012 at 11:39 AM.

I just don't want to pay a gym fee. Been there, done that.
    You probably paid for it and didn't use it. How did that work out for you?

We're trying to be supportive here but you need to lose more than 130 pounds and that won't happen with minor adjustments in your lifestyle. It's going to take something total and I'm not sure you realize that yet. What your doing now is a good start but that's about it. You'll need to do more at some point.

Trust us all on this. Join a gym and use it. In fact, join the most expensive one you can find so you'll force yourself to use it more because you paid so much money for it.

No. I don't have the money to be spending on a gym. Quit harping on it.

asshat DexterMorgan grows his own roses DexterMorgan grows his own roses DexterMorgan grows his own roses DexterMorgan grows his own roses DexterMorgan grows his own roses DexterMorgan grows his own roses DexterMorgan grows his own roses DexterMorgan grows his own roses DexterMorgan grows his own roses DexterMorgan grows his own roses DexterMorgan grows his own roses DexterMorgan's Avatar
    No. I don't have the money to be spending on a gym. Quit harping on it.
    Use the 26 bucks a month that helped you get to over 300# to get under 3 hunj by joining a gym. If you eat enough to be that big, saying you don't have the money is bull$#@!.

I'm not joining a gym.

Thanks for y'all's input.

asshat Traffic is a rep whore. Traffic is a rep whore. Traffic is a rep whore. Traffic is a rep whore. Traffic is a rep whore. Traffic is a rep whore. Traffic is a rep whore. Traffic is a rep whore. Traffic is a rep whore. Traffic is a rep whore. Traffic is a rep whore. Traffic's Avatar
    Trust us all on this. Join a gym and use it. In fact, join the most expensive one you can find so you'll force yourself to use it more because you paid so much money for it.
    this is so dumb for real.

if you're motivated you can get all the exercise you need at home.

brisk walking / jogging / running
    pushups / weights

your biggest success will be from eating right, and that doesn't happen at the gym. keep on trucking, Al.

asshat utexas_61 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. utexas_61 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. utexas_61 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. utexas_61 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. utexas_61 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. utexas_61 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. utexas_61 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. utexas_61 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. utexas_61 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. utexas_61 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. utexas_61 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night.
    Quote Originally Posted by Traffic View Post
    this is so dumb for real.

if you're motivated you can get all the exercise you need at home.

brisk walking / jogging / running
    pushups / weights

your biggest success will be from eating right, and that doesn't happen at the gym. keep on trucking, Al.

Truth.

The people trying to talk you into joining a gym needs an ass kicking.

I do 25 push ups every hour in my office. Exercising throughout the day rather than just during your slotted time is a good way to burn extra calories and keep metabolism up.

asshat DexterMorgan grows his own roses DexterMorgan grows his own roses DexterMorgan grows his own roses DexterMorgan grows his own roses DexterMorgan grows his own roses DexterMorgan grows his own roses DexterMorgan grows his own roses DexterMorgan grows his own roses DexterMorgan grows his own roses DexterMorgan grows his own roses DexterMorgan grows his own roses DexterMorgan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dahobbs View Post
    I do 25 push ups every hour in my office. Exercising throughout the day rather than just during your slotted time is a good way to burn extra calories and keep metabolism up.
    So you burn more calories by exercising 10 minutes 8 times than by exercising 1 time for 80 minutes? You don't say.

Quote Originally Posted by utexas_61 View Post
    Truth.

The people trying to talk you into joining a gym needs an ass kicking.
    Actually, it helped me out a lot. Two years ago, we paid for a full year membership and used it at first but got lazy about it. When it came time to renew the membership, we talked about it and decided if we were going to pay for it twice to get off our dead asses and do it.

Sometimes paying for something makes you use it.

asshat utexas_61 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. utexas_61 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. utexas_61 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. utexas_61 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. utexas_61 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. utexas_61 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. utexas_61 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. utexas_61 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. utexas_61 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. utexas_61 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. utexas_61 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night.
    Actually, it helped me out a lot. Two years ago, we paid for a full year membership and used it at first but got lazy about it. When it came time to renew the membership, we talked about it and decided if we were going to pay for it twice to get off our dead asses and do it.

Sometimes paying for something makes you use it.

Sometimes. Not always.

Besides the possible extra motivation, which based on the number of people that don't actually take advantage of their gym membership, is not very much, the only advantage for Al would be the ability to walk when the weather is bad.

Since he lives in Austin, that isn't a huge concern. And if he gets creative, he can get his heart rate up just as easy with his own weights in his garage if need be.

I love this song, especially in times like this. F this feeling of sadness. I'm moving on.

If ever words were spoken
    Painful and untrue
    I said I loved but I lied
    In my life
    All I wanted
    Was the keeping
    Of someone like you
    As it turns out
    Deeper within me
    Love was twisted and pointed at you

Never ending pain, quickly ending life

You keep this love, thing, child, toy
    You keep this love, fist, scar, break
    You keep this love

I'd been the tempting one
    Stole her from herself
    This gift in pain
    Her pain was life
    And sometimes I feel so sorry
    I regret this the hurting of you
    But you make me so unhappy
    I'd take my life and leave love with you

I'd kill myself for you, I'd kill you for myself

You keep this love, thing, child, toy
    You keep this love, fist, scar, break
    You keep this love

No more head trips

asshat texasdago Shaggy Gold Club texasdago Shaggy Gold Club texasdago Shaggy Gold Club texasdago Shaggy Gold Club texasdago Shaggy Gold Club texasdago Shaggy Gold Club texasdago Shaggy Gold Club texasdago Shaggy Gold Club texasdago Shaggy Gold Club texasdago Shaggy Gold Club texasdago Shaggy Gold Club texasdago's Avatar
    Whoah... What does this mean?

asshat KaiserSoze might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? KaiserSoze might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? KaiserSoze might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? KaiserSoze might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? KaiserSoze might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? KaiserSoze might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? KaiserSoze might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? KaiserSoze might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? KaiserSoze might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? KaiserSoze might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? KaiserSoze might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? KaiserSoze's Avatar
    Pantera? Really? Jesus- you need help.

+ Reply to Thread