+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 78 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2012 Houston Astros Thread

asshat LCHorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. LCHorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. LCHorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. LCHorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. LCHorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. LCHorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. LCHorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. LCHorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. LCHorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. LCHorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. LCHorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night.

Official 2012 Houston Astros Thread

Worst to first, here we come!

Okay, probably not. Actually, I'm hoping for another #1 draft choice--plenty of farm team discussion to be had in the interim. Some possible discussion starters:

Catcher--Will Castro ever get healthy?
    First Base--Just how much will Luhnow have to pay a team to take Lee of our hands? Zambrano took $15 million (out of $18 million)
    2nd Base--demote Altuve to season him a bit more? If so, is Downs the answer?
    Shortstop--can Lowrie get 500 AB's?
    3rd Base--Johnson probably not capable of being a regular, Paredes isn't ready regardless of his soft batting average (BAIP will return to the mean this year). Downs?
    Left Field--Martinez--can he be a league average regular? Better than that? He's already exceeded expectations as a 20th Round draft pick
    CF--Schafer's looking at a 50 game suspension, right? Bogusevic doesn't have the wheels for more than a spot start. Just how long will it take for Springer to be ready?
    RF--If Bogusevic is in CF, at least to start, who plays here?

Starters:
    Myers--what can the team get for him? Couple of C prospects? We've got plenty of those already.
    Wandy--same question, but the return should be better. Would love to get a Top 100 guy, even if its only one, like Wheeler for Beltran.
    Norris--if he has a strong half season, do we move him? Can we get a Trevor Cahill type return?
    Lyles--pitched 150 innings last year, goal should be 170? Just how bad is his pitch to contact going to seem when your infield might include Downs, Lowrie, Johnson, and Lee (at least Altuve should be average). If I was him, I'd try to injure Angel Sanchez during spring training, just in case.
    Happ--the rumor from 2010 was that Wade pushed for Worley, got told no and settled for Happ. Does he need to take Dierker's advice and throw fewer pitches? (Dierker claimed to see six from different arm angles)

Relievers--will Clemen's starting potential be sacrificed so the team can have a "closer" with "closer" type stuff? If not him, who replaces Melancon? If we only win 60, does it matter? Worse signing, Lyons or Woody Williams?

Sickels Top Prospects and Comments:

1) Jonathan Singleton, 1B, Grade B+: Acquired in the Hunter Pence deal with the Phillies. You can make a case for an A-, although he hasn't yet fully tapped into his natural power. I think he might need a bit more time than people think, but still an elite prospect.

2) George Springer, OF, Grade B+: Much broader tool base than Singleton, but exactly two years and one day older, which makes a difference. I think he made real progress with his swing and contact ability this year. Impressive power/speed/walks package even if he doesn't hit for a high average.

3) Jarred Cosart, RHP, Grade B: Excellent arm strength, but pitchability seemed to take a small step backwards last year. Strikeout rate is low for a guy who throws as hard as he does and he needs command refinements. Another part of the Pence trade.

4) Jonathan Villar, SS, Grade B-: He's very young, has been pushed too quickly in my view, and has some serious contact problems to resolve. He also has double-digit homer and steal potential and great defensive tools. High risk, high-reward player. Grade A tools, grade C skills.

5) Paul Clemens, RHP, Grade B-: Part of the Michael Bourn deal with the Braves. Solid stuff, has made progress with command, projects as a number three or four starter for me.

6) Mike Foltynewicz, RHP, Grade C+: I probably like him more than I should. Strong fastball, secondary pitches still works-in-progress but I think he can be a mid-rotation guy if everything works out.

7) Domingo Santana, OF, Grade C+: Exceptional power potential and was just 18 years old in the Sally League. He's also got serious issues with strikeouts/contact and plate discipline. Similar problems have killed many careers. Like Villar, Santana has a very high ceiling but a very low floor.

8) Brett Oberholtzer, LHP, Grade C+: Part of the Bourn deal with Atlanta, average velocity but mixes his pitches well. Could be a nice number four starter but not a huge upside.

9) Delino DeShields, 2B, Grade C+: Another high-ceiling low-floor high-risk guy with tools who lacks refinement. Hit just .220 in the Sally League but swiped 30 bases.

10) Adrian Houser, RHP, Grade C+: Second round pick from an Oklahoma high school, performance in rookie ball was spotty but could develop into a number three starter.

11) Telvin Nash, 1B-OF, Grade C+: Enormous raw power, but fanned 105 times in 281 at-bat in Low-A and GCL rehab assignment. Little defensive value. Cecil Fielder-like upside if he can make enough contact but that is a big IF.

12) Nick Tropeano, RHP, Grade C+: Stony Brook product lacks plus velocity but changes speeds extremely well, could develop into a solid inning-eater type.

13) Austin Wates, OF, Grade C+: Hits for average, swiped 26 bases in High-A, good athlete, but lack of distance power could be a hindrance.

14) Jiovanni Mier, SS, Grade C: The Astros have not given up on him, still young, athletic, respected defense, but hitting is very questionable.

15) Tanner Bushue, RHP, Grade C: Still projectable and young, but progress has stalled and he's had problems staying healthy. Too young to give up on of course at age 20.

16) Juan Abreu, RHP, Grade C: Older prospect acquired from the Braves, but has a lively arm and can be very effective middle man if he maintains his command. If you want immediate impact rank him higher than this.

17) Ariel Ovando, OF, Grade C: Impressive power potential but did not hit well in the Appalachian League. Given the $2,600,000 invested in him, they will be as patient as possible and he's just 18.

18) Ross Seaton, RHP, Grade C: Still has the raw material to be a good pitcher, and he's been badly rushed. It would not surprise me to see him perform much better in his second attempt at Corpus Christi.

19) Jake Buchanan, RHP, Grade C: Doesn't have a high upside, but keeps the ball down, throws strikes, and was one of the few pitchers able to survive and prosper at High-A Lancaster. Sleeper guy to watch for 2012.

20) Chris Wallace, C, Grade C: Like Buchanan, Wallace is a college product (University of Houston in his case) who doesn't have a high upside but could be a useful role player, in this case as a power-hitting catcher with fair defense. Power-hitting first base prospect Kody Hinze would also fit in that category although he'll have less glove value.

OTHERS: Ruben Alaniz, RHP; Jack Armstrong Jr., RHP; Jay Austin, OF; Adam Bailey, OF; Xavier Cedeno, LHP; Jorge De Leon, RHP; Dayan Diaz, RHP; Jake Goebbert, OF; Kyle Hallock, LHP; Kody Hinze, 1B; Dallas Keuchel, LHP; Mike Kvasnicka, 3B; Chris Lee, LHP; Luis Ordosgoitti, RHP; Jordan Scott, OF; J.B. Shuck, OF; Vincent Velasquez, RHP; Josh Zeid, RHP

The Dude imbibes drew corleone grows his own roses drew corleone grows his own roses drew corleone grows his own roses drew corleone grows his own roses drew corleone grows his own roses drew corleone grows his own roses drew corleone grows his own roses drew corleone grows his own roses drew corleone grows his own roses drew corleone grows his own roses drew corleone grows his own roses
    Schaffer was busted for pot, I thought, not PEDs.

Lee didn't quit on his team. I don't think they're comparable situations.

The Dude imbibes drew corleone grows his own roses drew corleone grows his own roses drew corleone grows his own roses drew corleone grows his own roses drew corleone grows his own roses drew corleone grows his own roses drew corleone grows his own roses drew corleone grows his own roses drew corleone grows his own roses drew corleone grows his own roses drew corleone grows his own roses
    And are you implying that the Astros acquired Dan Wheeler for Carlos Beltran or am I missing something?

asshat Cheese grows his own roses Cheese grows his own roses Cheese grows his own roses Cheese grows his own roses Cheese grows his own roses Cheese grows his own roses Cheese grows his own roses Cheese grows his own roses Cheese grows his own roses Cheese grows his own roses Cheese grows his own roses Cheese's Avatar
    just tell me where and when to show up

Astros fan por vida!

i'll get over the AL switch in due time

asshat WBT Shaggy Gold Club WBT Shaggy Gold Club WBT Shaggy Gold Club WBT Shaggy Gold Club WBT Shaggy Gold Club WBT Shaggy Gold Club WBT Shaggy Gold Club WBT Shaggy Gold Club WBT Shaggy Gold Club WBT Shaggy Gold Club WBT Shaggy Gold Club
    Quote Originally Posted by LCHorn View Post
    Worse signing, Lyons or Woody Williams?
    Was Williams one year or two? Either way, definitely Lyons. I've been counting down the days until Wade was fired ever since that signing. It's also depressing how little we got for Pence. I think the Bourn trade will turn out to be alright. Why trade Norris? I'd like to hang onto him.

I still don't know what I'm going to do in 2013 but I'm going to try to enjoy this last NL season. F Selig, McClain, and Crane! I'll never forget.

asshat PhatAtUT is a rep whore. PhatAtUT is a rep whore. PhatAtUT is a rep whore. PhatAtUT is a rep whore. PhatAtUT is a rep whore. PhatAtUT is a rep whore. PhatAtUT is a rep whore. PhatAtUT is a rep whore. PhatAtUT is a rep whore. PhatAtUT is a rep whore. PhatAtUT is a rep whore. PhatAtUT's Avatar
    i never listen to bob and dan on 1310 the ticket
    Quote Originally Posted by drew corleone View Post
    And are you implying that the Astros acquired Dan Wheeler for Carlos Beltran or am I missing something?
    beltran traded from nym to giants for zach wheeler.

Gotcha. I was tuned out by then.

Neither Lyons nor woody were all that bad. Three years at $5M could have been a hell of a lot worse.

asshat LCHorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. LCHorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. LCHorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. LCHorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. LCHorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. LCHorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. LCHorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. LCHorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. LCHorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. LCHorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. LCHorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night.
    Schaffer was busted for pot, I thought, not PEDs.

Lee didn't quit on his team. I don't think they're comparable situations.
    I'm not totally clear on that, but it was his second bust, and the first time was for PEDS.

Maybe not comparable, but a lot less demand for mediocre to worse first basemen than for mediocre to better pitchers, regardless of contract. Look at how much trouble Boras is having getting Prince Fielder paid.

Gotcha. I was tuned out by then.

Neither Lyons nor woody were all that bad. Three years at $5M could have been a hell of a lot worse.
    True, its not my money. The loss of a draft pick stung, and the picks that wasted money could have paid for. I would have to go with Woody, although the only problem I had with it at the time was not waiting until after the arbitration expiration date to sign him with no loss of pick. Handshake that $#@! until then.

Yeah, I looked it up after I posted. He was busted fr HGH a few years ago. Not sure what kind of punishment he could be looking at for this.

In my completely uninformed opinion, I don't see any of Lee, Wandy or Myers fetching much prior to the season. Our best hope is for them to get off to good starts or else they're just likely salary dumps. I would love to be wrong about that.

asshat thewacokid can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. thewacokid can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. thewacokid can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. thewacokid can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. thewacokid can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. thewacokid can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. thewacokid can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. thewacokid can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. thewacokid can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. thewacokid can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. thewacokid can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. thewacokid's Avatar
    Every year I get all hyped up before the season starts, only to look at our roster and realize that it's a tire fire.

We might as well get this out of the way.

I'm not sure I've ever gotten an answer to this, but I figure I'll throw it out there again. Why is Hinze not considered a decent prospect? Is it simply his age? He hit .306, 29 HR, 98 RBI in 135 games between A+ and AA last year. If he has a similar year in 2012, I don't see why it would be a bad idea to give him a shot to bridge the gap at 1B between Lee and the time Singleton is ready.

Telvin Nash is #11 on there, but his cons are his strikeout numbers. Hinze has dramatically better BB/K rate. Nash 43/105 in 281 AB. Hinze 94/119 in 484.

Anybody?
    Last edited by Storm the Field; 01-11-2012 at 10:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Storm the Field View Post
    I'm not sure I've ever gotten an answer to this, but I figure I'll throw it out there again. Why is Hinze not considered a decent prospect? Is it simply his age? He hit .306, 29 HR, 98 RBI in 135 games between A+ and AA last year. If he has a similar year in 2012, I don't see why it would be a bad idea to give him a shot to bridge the gap at 1B between Lee and the time Singleton is ready.

Telvin Nash is #11 on there, but his cons are his strikeout numbers. Hinze has dramatically better BB/K rate. Nash 43/105 in 281 AB. Hinze 94/119 in 484.

Anybody?
    It's mainly his age and relative lack of performance outside of the Cal league. It may be that he ends up as a stop gap for Singleton, but I think the Astros probably see Singleton passing him up before too long. Hinze's also not very athletic, so he's limited to first or DH, and which makes me wonder if he's a slower bat guy. Clearly he held his own in Corpus-this season will be telling based on whether he returns there or splits time with Wallace in OC.

Cowboys and Texans fan ! tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt's Avatar
    play hard, all im asking for this team in 2012

We just picked up former Mets top prospect Fernando Martinez off the waiver wire.

Baseball America named Martinez one of the top 100 prospects in the game before each of the 2007-10 seasons, and at age 23, he's worth a 40-man roster spot for new Houston GM Jeff Luhnow. Injuries, selectivity, and plate coverage have limited Martinez thus far, wrote Baseball America a year ago.
    I'm guessing maybe Luhnow thinks a change of scenery can help him live up to some of the potential that the Mets and BA always believe he had. He was a top 30 national prospect from 2008-2010 before dropping to 77 last year. From what I have read, the Mets severely rushed him through the system.
    Last edited by Storm the Field; 01-11-2012 at 03:25 PM.

We just picked up former Mets top prospect Fernando Martinez off the waiver wire.

I'm guessing maybe Luhnow thinks a change of scenery can help him live up to some of the potential that the Mets and BA always believe he had. He was a top 30 national prospect from 2008-2010 before dropping to 77 last year. From what I have read, the Mets severely rushed him through the system.
    He was rushed, but has been in AAA for three years (though much time was missed due to injuries). Even if he doesn't improve, he's better than Shuck.

bunghole abcd is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? abcd is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? abcd is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? abcd is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? abcd is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? abcd is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? abcd is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? abcd is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares?
    I disagree with the notion that we did not get enough in the Pence trade. It seems odd to have not gotten any sure things in the deal, but that trade at least gave us star potential in the system, which we did not have before. It is going to be fascinating to see how this team looks after Wandy, Myers, and/or Lee are gone, and who they get in return. I expect that somewhere down the line the Astros will sign another Barmes-type veteran to stabilize either the outfield, 2nd base, or 3rd base.

With guys like Norris and Lyles representing the future of this team, it would be nice to get an incredible glove at 3rd base to help build pitchers' confidence in pitching to contact.

Castro is a huge piece this year. Here's hoping he gives fans something to get excited about.

I'm guessing maybe Luhnow thinks a change of scenery can help him live up to some of the potential that the Mets and BA always believe he had..
    Called it. See you guys in the front office!

"The kid has some big league tools and he's very young, and I think a change of scenery may be exactly what he needs to blossom into full potential." said Luhnow.
    Last edited by Storm the Field; 01-12-2012 at 02:01 PM.

asshat thewacokid can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. thewacokid can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. thewacokid can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. thewacokid can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. thewacokid can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. thewacokid can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. thewacokid can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. thewacokid can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. thewacokid can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. thewacokid can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. thewacokid can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. thewacokid's Avatar
    We need more Bill Halls

asshat pacman slams and goes hard. pacman slams and goes hard. pacman slams and goes hard. pacman slams and goes hard. pacman slams and goes hard. pacman slams and goes hard. pacman slams and goes hard. pacman slams and goes hard. pacman slams and goes hard. pacman slams and goes hard. pacman slams and goes hard.
    So, no staring spot for Bogusevic?

Quote Originally Posted by pacman View Post
    It's all fluid right now, as the OF make-up depends largely on what happens with Lee (does he get traded) and/or whether or not Wallace gets another crack at 1B. Wallace bombed the second half of last season, and in winter ball, but he started fairly strong last year.

With Schafer, Bourgeois, JD Martinez and even Shuck in the mix (and is Fernando Martinez slated for the big club or AAA?), it's a crowded outfield.

Quote Originally Posted by pacman View Post
    He'll get his time there but nothing in his performance so far indicates he's league average at either of the corner spots.

asshat Scraps might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Scraps might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Scraps might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Scraps might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Scraps might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Scraps might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Scraps might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Scraps might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Scraps might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Scraps might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Scraps might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Scraps's Avatar
    Some $#@!ty draft picks on the original post

Another reclamation project announced today. Signed Jack Cust to a 1 year deal with a club option for 2013. It was originally reported as a 2 year deal and I thought my head was going to explode. I assume they're going to see if he can show any kind of his old power numbers this year and maybe consider him as a DH option for 2013. I can't imagine they envision him actually being a legit OF option.

Assuming we got him dirt cheap, a 1 year deal is nothing much to worry about.

Read that his projected WAR is .5, valuing him at $2-3M.

Not sure if they see him as a regular OF or a power bat off of the bench. Either way, this seems to be a pretty strong indicator the Lee isn't in the OF mix. But are they going to move him or let him man 1B?

Read that his projected WAR is .5, valuing him at $2-3M.

Not sure if they see him as a regular OF or a power bat off of the bench. Either way, this seems to be a pretty strong indicator the Lee isn't in the OF mix. But are they going to move him or let him man 1B?
    I've read that Cust is pretty rough at first, too, which makes me think this is about 2013.

Might also be some sign that Luhnow wants to emphasize a philosophy of taking more pitches, and wanted a player rep already favoring that approach to work with guys like altuve and Paredes.

Cust deal was just announced as being 600K, non-guaranteed. I don't mind that at all.

asshat DLev slams and goes hard. DLev slams and goes hard. DLev slams and goes hard. DLev slams and goes hard. DLev slams and goes hard. DLev slams and goes hard. DLev slams and goes hard. DLev slams and goes hard. DLev slams and goes hard. DLev slams and goes hard. DLev slams and goes hard.
    Cust deal was just announced as being 600K, non-guaranteed. I don't mind that at all.
    This I can get behind. But I am going to post my sarcastic comment anyway like I didn't read your post.

Glad the Astros are wasting a spot on this year's roster for a potential DH not needed till 2013. The Jack Cust's of the world don't grow on trees and when one is available, you've got to move fast.

asshat swonie grows his own roses swonie grows his own roses swonie grows his own roses swonie grows his own roses swonie grows his own roses swonie grows his own roses swonie grows his own roses swonie grows his own roses swonie grows his own roses swonie grows his own roses swonie grows his own roses swonie's Avatar
    Thank you for continuing on with the sarcastic comment. It made me chuckle

Put him on the 365-day DL.

Seriously, though, it's a non-guaranteed deal until April 1, so who knows if he's actually on the squad by Opening Day.

Someone (baseball prospectus?) did an article on what they called "old man skills" and the rate of deterioration several years ago. They found that the "three true outcomes" type players tend to get bad fast. It wouldn't surprise me if Cust gets washed out in Spring Training.

Of course, the same article suggested that Paul Konerko was likely to be afflicted, and he just had his best two seasons.

For those that decried the McLane owned Astros policies of rampant commercialization, silly promotions over better on-field product, and refusal to allow outside food, take heart that the implementer of said policies has resigned.

Pam Gardner given the proverbial pink slip and "advisory role"

asshat Ichabod is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. Ichabod is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. Ichabod is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. Ichabod is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. Ichabod is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. Ichabod is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. Ichabod is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. Ichabod is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. Ichabod is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. Ichabod is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. Ichabod is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. Ichabod's Avatar
    So no more "fowl-pole"?

Quote Originally Posted by LCHorn View Post
    For those that decried the McLane owned Astros policies of rampant commercialization, silly promotions over better on-field product, and refusal to allow outside food, take heart that the implementer of said policies has resigned.

Pam Gardner given the proverbial pink slip and "advisory role"
    I'm only being slightly hyperbolic when I say that this is the best thing to happen to this franchise in more than a decade.

asshat ERhine Shaggy Gold Club ERhine Shaggy Gold Club ERhine Shaggy Gold Club ERhine Shaggy Gold Club ERhine Shaggy Gold Club ERhine Shaggy Gold Club ERhine Shaggy Gold Club ERhine Shaggy Gold Club ERhine Shaggy Gold Club ERhine Shaggy Gold Club ERhine Shaggy Gold Club
    $#@!ing Taco bell hot sauce packet races can go Sandusky themselves. $#@! whoever came up with that. And $#@! Bud Selig.

Picked up another option at catcher.

Alyson Footer is reporting that the Astros have signed catcher Chris Snyder. The deal will include a mutual option for the 2013 season.

Snyder has a career slash line of .271/.376/..396 with 70 career home runs and 273 RBI. His career WAR is 7.5. The Astros current depth chart has Jason Castro listed as the starting catcher. In 67 games played, Castro has a slash line of .205/.286/.287. They will likely compete in spring training for the starting catcher position.
    Last edited by Storm the Field; 01-20-2012 at 01:25 PM.

I'm impressed, but not surprised, that Footer knows what WAR is.

Cowboys and Texans fan ! tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt's Avatar
    anyone going to the 86 astros round table discussion tomorrow night ?

scott, ryan, davis, doran, deshaies among others are going to be there

the godfather HenryGandorf is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. HenryGandorf is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. HenryGandorf is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. HenryGandorf is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. HenryGandorf is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. HenryGandorf is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. HenryGandorf is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. HenryGandorf is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. HenryGandorf is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. HenryGandorf is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. HenryGandorf is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. HenryGandorf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tx 3 putt View Post
    anyone going to the 86 astros round table discussion tomorrow night ?

scott, ryan, davis, doran, deshaies among others are going to be there
    someone go and post recap. i was at the clinching no-hitter and game 6 of the nlcs that year. 10 year old gandorf was not pleased.

I would have LOVED to go to that. Report, please.

bunghole abcd is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? abcd is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? abcd is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? abcd is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? abcd is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? abcd is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? abcd is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? abcd is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares?
    Recap...Smith blew save in game 3, Brocklander screwed us in game 5, Knepper choked in the 9th in game 6 (everybody forgets that Hatcher badly misplayed a ball in that inning, or he never would have needed the home run), and Bass swung at ball four to end it. I was 12 years old, and I still love that team like no other, but it amazes me how, after all these years, we treat that team like they won something. The reality is that game 2 of that series is really the only one they should have lost. Since it looks like we will never get back (at least not for a while, and never as a member of the NL), I view it with a lot of frustration now.

Okay, now that I have that off my chest, let's go do in 2012 what we did in 1986 (except for the losing in the playoffs part). Sports Illustrated predicted the Astros would lose 100 games prior to the 86 season.

asshat RocketHorn1978 is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. RocketHorn1978 is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. RocketHorn1978 is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. RocketHorn1978 is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. RocketHorn1978 is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. RocketHorn1978 is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. RocketHorn1978 is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. RocketHorn1978 is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. RocketHorn1978 is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. RocketHorn1978 is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. RocketHorn1978 is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. RocketHorn1978's Avatar
    i'd like to have a season where we don't start off 1-7… but it seems we always do...

asshat WBT Shaggy Gold Club WBT Shaggy Gold Club WBT Shaggy Gold Club WBT Shaggy Gold Club WBT Shaggy Gold Club WBT Shaggy Gold Club WBT Shaggy Gold Club WBT Shaggy Gold Club WBT Shaggy Gold Club WBT Shaggy Gold Club WBT Shaggy Gold Club
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryGandorf View Post
    someone go and post recap. i was at the clinching no-hitter and game 6 of the nlcs that year. 10 year old gandorf was not pleased.
    Holy $#@! I would have loved to be at those games although my 6-year old self also would not have enjoyed game 6.

http://footer.mlblogs.com/2012/01/22...ball-memories/

scrunchies write up of last night

asshat TexArcher Shaggy Gold Club TexArcher Shaggy Gold Club TexArcher Shaggy Gold Club TexArcher Shaggy Gold Club TexArcher Shaggy Gold Club TexArcher Shaggy Gold Club TexArcher Shaggy Gold Club TexArcher Shaggy Gold Club TexArcher Shaggy Gold Club TexArcher Shaggy Gold Club TexArcher Shaggy Gold Club TexArcher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryGandorf View Post
    Nice - I was at the clinching no-hitter and Game 1 of the NLCS. Scotty beat Gooden 1-0 on a Glenn Davis homer and struck out 14 Mets. I was also 10 years-old.

You know there's a lot to be excited about with this organization when 1/4 of the posts in the 2012 Astros thread are about the 1986 Astros.

Hey here's something I randomly stumbled across earlier. Ron Paul in an Astros rainbow uniform from the 1976 congressional baseball game.

asshat Scraps might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Scraps might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Scraps might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Scraps might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Scraps might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Scraps might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Scraps might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Scraps might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Scraps might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Scraps might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Scraps might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Scraps's Avatar
    Not a good look for Ron

asshat bozo_casanova might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? bozo_casanova might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? bozo_casanova might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? bozo_casanova might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? bozo_casanova might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? bozo_casanova might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? bozo_casanova might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? bozo_casanova might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? bozo_casanova might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? bozo_casanova might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? bozo_casanova might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? bozo_casanova's Avatar
    Back up in your ass with the resurrection
    Only 53 pages to catch up with the Rangers thread! Go H-Town!

Quote Originally Posted by bozo_casanova View Post
    Only 53 pages to catch up with the Rangers thread! Go H-Town!
    The only thing on the Rangers I covet is the owner.

+ Reply to Thread