+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Can LCD tv's "wear out", so to speak?

asshat TexArcher Shaggy Gold Club TexArcher Shaggy Gold Club TexArcher Shaggy Gold Club TexArcher Shaggy Gold Club TexArcher Shaggy Gold Club TexArcher Shaggy Gold Club TexArcher Shaggy Gold Club TexArcher Shaggy Gold Club TexArcher Shaggy Gold Club TexArcher Shaggy Gold Club TexArcher Shaggy Gold Club TexArcher's Avatar

Can LCD tv's "wear out", so to speak?

I'm sure this is a stupid question to those more tech-savvy than me, but I'm asking because I've had my glorious Samsung for about two years and I've played the $#@! out of it, including many nights when I fall asleep on the couch after Sportscenter.

Do LCD flat-screens ever wear out? Or can they just run more or less indefinitely?

asshat Mr. Peabody slams and goes hard. Mr. Peabody slams and goes hard. Mr. Peabody slams and goes hard. Mr. Peabody slams and goes hard. Mr. Peabody slams and goes hard. Mr. Peabody slams and goes hard. Mr. Peabody slams and goes hard. Mr. Peabody slams and goes hard. Mr. Peabody slams and goes hard. Mr. Peabody slams and goes hard. Mr. Peabody slams and goes hard. Mr. Peabody's Avatar
    Saw this on a site recently....

Flat-panel LCD TVs have a lifespan newly approaching 100,000 hours on average. The lifespan of an LCD TV is generally longer than that of similar-sized plasma televisions. Some manufacturers even claim that their LCDs can last upwards of 100,000 hours when used continuously under controlled conditions (e.g., in a room with "standard" lighting conditions and 77° temperatures throughout). Just how realistic such claims are is debatable. After all, whose living room has no windows and remains at a perfectly comfortable 77 degrees year-round?

I bought a LCD TV for the bedroom just over 2 years ago. It stays on pretty much all day. Most nights it stays on as well. I like to fall asleep with the TV on. So far, it looks as good as new. I do worry about it though.

indefinitely, no, but...

Most models these days are significantly more resilient than just a few years ago. I've had both LCD and Plasma since 2003 and both tv's are still in my house working just fine. As with anything, some models are more prone to failure and are known as $#@!. From what i understand, Samsung LCD's are well regarded so at least you bought a solid one.

If yours wears out in the next 5 years it would be a surprise, assuming you aren't leaving it on every night

asshat r2k3982 Shaggy Gold Club r2k3982 Shaggy Gold Club r2k3982 Shaggy Gold Club r2k3982 Shaggy Gold Club r2k3982 Shaggy Gold Club r2k3982 Shaggy Gold Club r2k3982 Shaggy Gold Club r2k3982 Shaggy Gold Club r2k3982 Shaggy Gold Club r2k3982 Shaggy Gold Club r2k3982 Shaggy Gold Club r2k3982's Avatar
    If you have the TV on the brightest setting, like they have them when they are on display at Best Buy, they do not last as long. Leaving them on all night is going to kill it faster too.

+ Reply to Thread