+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: official 2012 atlanta braves thread

Burnt Orange Weenie BigOrange Shaggy Gold Club BigOrange Shaggy Gold Club BigOrange Shaggy Gold Club BigOrange Shaggy Gold Club BigOrange Shaggy Gold Club BigOrange Shaggy Gold Club BigOrange Shaggy Gold Club BigOrange Shaggy Gold Club BigOrange Shaggy Gold Club BigOrange Shaggy Gold Club BigOrange Shaggy Gold Club BigOrange's Avatar

official 2012 atlanta braves thread

pitchers and catchers (and a lot of other people) reported today. 46 days until opening day in new york against the mets.

no real big offseason moves from the braves this year. dropped some dead weight by trading derek lowe to cleveland and not resigning alex gonzelez, but didn't add anyone of note. the two biggest question marks will be:

1. can the offense be consistent enough to take some pressure off the pitching staff?
    2. can the pitching staff stay healthy?

as far as question #1 is concerned, a full season of michael bourne leading off and martin prado hitting behind him (assuming he isn't traded at some point in the season) should do wonders for the offense. mccann and uggla will be the two guys who are primarily responsible for driving in runs and hopefully jason heyward will have a bounce back season to help them out. chipper will provide some offense, but his best days are behind him and i don't think you can go into the season expecting a lot out of him. if freddie freeman can avoid a sophomore slump, he'll be a guy who will also drive in runs.

here is how i'd like to see the lineup as of this moment:

1. bourne - cf
    2. prado - lf
    3. mccann - c
    4. uggla - 2b
    5. freeman - 1b
    6. heyward - rf
    7. chipper - 3b
    8. pastornicky - ss

i seriously doubt they'll hit chipper 7th, but hopefully he is not in the 3 hole. he's just not that guy anymore. if they want to him him early in the order, i'd prefer they hit him 2nd and move prado down.

the pitching staff should be the strength of the team again this year. however their health is a big concern. both jurrjens and hanson were hurt last year and hudson won't be ready to go this year until late april or early may. when healthy, the rotation should look something along the lines of:

1. hudson
    2. hanson
    3. jj
    4. beachy
    5. minor

julio teheran and randall delgado will be the first two guys to get a shot at the rotation when one of these guys goes down (and to begin the season in the rotation until hudson returns).

the bullpen should, again, be a strength, but they can not be overused in the manner in which they were last year (particularly o'flaherty, venters and kimbrel). getting peter moylan back should help out there as well as healthy kris medlen (although he is a guy who could be starting some as well).

the nl east is going to be a beast this year. philly is still the team to beat and both washington and the marlins should be improved. i'd honestly be surprised if whichever team ends up winning the nl east finishes with much more than 90 wins (lets call it 93-69) simply due to the overall strength of the division. unfortunately, i don't think the braves are going to be the team that finishes on top. i see something along the lines of 88-74 and hoping that is enough for the wild card spot (or spots should mlb expand the playoffs this year).

dimmed expectations aside, i can not $#@!ing wait for the season to get here. go braves!

Is Heyward finally healthy?

Burnt Orange Weenie BigOrange Shaggy Gold Club BigOrange Shaggy Gold Club BigOrange Shaggy Gold Club BigOrange Shaggy Gold Club BigOrange Shaggy Gold Club BigOrange Shaggy Gold Club BigOrange Shaggy Gold Club BigOrange Shaggy Gold Club BigOrange Shaggy Gold Club BigOrange Shaggy Gold Club BigOrange Shaggy Gold Club BigOrange's Avatar
    some pics from today:

key to the season imo:

Quote Originally Posted by Weedwacker View Post
    Is Heyward finally healthy?
    supposed to be. dropped 20 lbs in the offseason.

pretty solid article from jason stark. can't say i'm thrilled that the braves decided to pretty much stand pat after last year's debacle, but it's a good argument for doing so:

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- They are two teams that wear the same scars, feel the same pain, share nearly identical places in dubious baseball history.

You will find them on the same page in your Greatest Collapses in History record books. But that's where the similarities between the 2011-12 Boston Red Sox and Atlanta Braves diverge. Has anybody else noticed that?

In Boston, blood flowed. Fingers were pointed. Heroes turned to villains overnight. The manager: gone. The general manager: gone. The beer-and-fried-chicken crowd: embarrassed. You know their story. No need to dredge it up again.

But meanwhile, in the home of the Braves, we have seen a very different take on an otherwise-identical tale. The manager: still working. The general manager: still leaning against the batting cage this spring. The roster: virtually intact.

It's like watching one of those cool, art-house movies at Sundance. The same plotline begins to unfold on both halves of a split screen. Then one half veers into horror-flick mode, while the other tracks the path of "normal" people who decide that the best way to cope with a crisis is to do their best to act like it's just part of life. …

Maybe because it is.
    http://espn.go.com/mlb/spring2012/st...making-changes

asshat GSU&UT grows his own roses GSU&UT grows his own roses GSU&UT grows his own roses GSU&UT grows his own roses GSU&UT grows his own roses GSU&UT grows his own roses GSU&UT grows his own roses GSU&UT grows his own roses GSU&UT grows his own roses GSU&UT grows his own roses GSU&UT grows his own roses GSU&UT's Avatar
    I really don't know how to feel about this season. I was very burnt out after that $#@!ing incredible meltdown. I'm worried that Jason is going to continue to have a crappy approach.

I heard there is talk of a Beachy to the White Sox deal perhaps in the works. Maybe Danks would be involved.

haven't heard that, but mike minor wants a trade if he isn't in the rotation to begin the year:

“I’ve been in Triple-A all last year pretty much,” he said, “and the year before I had some time [in the majors]. I’m getting older every year, so there’s no reason for me to be sitting in Triple-A.”
    http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-braves-...n-no-5-battle/

this really shouldn't be an issue as he should be in the rotation, but still don't really like him coming out and saying it.

If Freddie and J-Hey don't make major strides this season this team is going nowhere. Fredi will wear out the bullpen. The team will fade down the stretch. I'll want everyone fired. Management won't do $#@! because they don't care.

The Braves are chalking up one more loss to pitcher Derek Lowe.

Team owner Liberty Media, in a financial report filed this week, said the Braves finished $6 million in the red last year — a loss the company attributed to the October trade of Lowe, a 17-game loser last season, to Cleveland.

The Braves sent $10 million to the Indians in the trade, an expenditure that counted against the Braves’ 2011 financial results even though Cleveland will use the money toward Lowe’s 2012 salary.

“This one transaction had the impact of swinging [the Braves’] adjusted OIBDA from earnings to a loss,” Liberty stated in its annual report.

OIBDA stands for “operating income before depreciation and amortization.” Adjusted OIBDA also excludes certain one-time charges, and Liberty says it is “an important indicator of the operational strength and performance of our businesses.”

Liberty’s filing disclosed that the Braves had revenue of $208 million last year, up 2.5 percent from $203 million in 2010. The Braves posted revenue of $206 million in 2009.

Liberty reported the Braves’ adjusted OIBDA in the black for 2009 and 2010 — profits of $8 million and $6 million, respectively. If not for the Lowe trade, the 2011 results would have shown a profit of $4 million.

However, Liberty noted that the trade “will free up additional salary in 2012 to be utilized in the acquisition of additional player talent.”

Since Lowe’s contract calls for a $15 million salary this year, the Braves gained $5 million in payroll flexibility by trading the 15-year veteran for a minor-league pitcher. Lowe was 9-17 with a 5.05 ERA for the Braves last season.

The Braves have made no major acquisitions since the end of last season. Terry McGuirk, the Braves’ chairman and CEO, recently said the team has set a player payroll budget of $94 million, leaving about $4 million still to spend on acquisitions before or during the season.

The $94 million includes the $10 million that went to the Indians toward Lowe’s salary. While Liberty officially accounted for it as a 2011 expense, the Braves unofficially are viewing it as a part of their 2012 payroll. So in terms of players actually on the team, the Braves effectively will have an $84 million payroll budget.

Liberty avoided using Lowe’s name in the financial disclosures regarding the Braves, referring to him as “one of their pitchers,” but provided details of the trade that left no doubt who the company was referring to.

Liberty offered no insight into how long the Colorado-based conglomerate intends to own the team, which it acquired from Time Warner in 2007 as part of a larger transaction driven by tax benefits.

In a conference call that Liberty executives held with investment analysts Thursday, the Braves were mentioned once. That was in the context of a discussion about taxes.

Liberty CEO Greg Maffei cited the Braves and a stake in satellite radio company Sirius XM as examples of situations where Liberty would owe capital-gains taxes if the assets were sold. But Maffei offered no signal of an impending sale, saying, “We will be able to decide when to choose, if ever, to [trigger the capital-gains taxes].”

Maffei’s comment does signal that Liberty believes the Braves have increased in value since 2007.

Liberty, chaired by John Malone, has a wide range of holdings in the media, communications and entertainment businesses.

The Braves are a tiny piece of the conglomerate. Liberty Media, which includes premium cable network Starz, reported overall revenue of $3 billion last year and adjusted operating income before depreciation and amortization of $1.1 billion, while corporate sibling Liberty Interactive, which includes shopping network QVC, reported $9.6 billion in revenue and $1.8 billion in OIBDA.

From the AJC

bunghole EZ$ slams and goes hard. EZ$ slams and goes hard. EZ$ slams and goes hard. EZ$ slams and goes hard. EZ$ slams and goes hard. EZ$ slams and goes hard. EZ$ slams and goes hard. EZ$ slams and goes hard. EZ$ slams and goes hard. EZ$ slams and goes hard. EZ$ slams and goes hard. EZ$'s Avatar
    Heard earlier on ESPN that Freddie Freeman has been lifting all winter and improved his bench press from 165 to 265.......he's a 6'5", 225 lb professional athlete and he was only benching 165????? I know bench doesn't matter in baseball, but that's pathetic. Even before this "newfound" strength, I was still expecting him to have a good year. My guess would be for him to be somewhere around .310, 28, 95.

No $#@!. I saw that earlier and was just like, you've got to be $#@!ting me. Reminds me of when lendale white quit drinking patron to get in better shape.

asshat spystud13 Shaggy Gold Club spystud13 Shaggy Gold Club spystud13 Shaggy Gold Club spystud13 Shaggy Gold Club spystud13 Shaggy Gold Club spystud13 Shaggy Gold Club spystud13 Shaggy Gold Club spystud13 Shaggy Gold Club spystud13 Shaggy Gold Club spystud13 Shaggy Gold Club spystud13 Shaggy Gold Club
    Quote Originally Posted by EZ$ View Post
    My guess would be for him to be somewhere around .310, 28, 95.
    This won't help...

Braves first baseman Freddie Freeman might be sidelined over the next two weeks as he rests a right knee injury that he suffered during Tuesday morning's workout at ESPN's Wide World of Sports Complex.

Freeman's right knee popped out of place as he was attempting to pick a low throw out of the dirt. The 22-year-old first baseman limped off the field immediately and was still struggling to walk as he made his way to a photo shoot early Tuesday afternoon.

"I was just doing pick drills and the knee gave out," Freeman said. "The kneecap went this way and I came back in. When I did this when I was playing in Triple-A, it took me two weeks. So that is what we are going on."

The Braves have diagnosed Freeman's injury as a subluxed right patella and revealed his knee is stable. The club believes he will miss one to two weeks.

While he was in obvious discomfort, Freeman did not seem worried about the possibility that he will need more than just a couple weeks of rest. His right knee had not given him any problems since he had suffered a similar injury while playing for Gwinnett in 2010.

"When I did it in 2010, I thought I could come back after a week," Freeman said. "But they're obviously going to be cautious with me."

If Freeman misses two weeks, he could return in time to play the final two weeks of the exhibition season. His absence will likely provide Eric Hinske and Ernesto Mejia a chance to get plenty of playing time at first base during the Grapefruit League season's first two weeks.

Freeman is coming off a memorable rookie season during which he hit .282 with 21 home runs and a .448 slugging percentage.
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb

Sophomore slump on the way.

asshat spystud13 Shaggy Gold Club spystud13 Shaggy Gold Club spystud13 Shaggy Gold Club spystud13 Shaggy Gold Club spystud13 Shaggy Gold Club spystud13 Shaggy Gold Club spystud13 Shaggy Gold Club spystud13 Shaggy Gold Club spystud13 Shaggy Gold Club spystud13 Shaggy Gold Club spystud13 Shaggy Gold Club
    Yeah, was thinking the same thing. EZ$'s prediction seems pretty optimistic.

bunghole EZ$ slams and goes hard. EZ$ slams and goes hard. EZ$ slams and goes hard. EZ$ slams and goes hard. EZ$ slams and goes hard. EZ$ slams and goes hard. EZ$ slams and goes hard. EZ$ slams and goes hard. EZ$ slams and goes hard. EZ$ slams and goes hard. EZ$ slams and goes hard. EZ$'s Avatar
    I'm not usually one for optimism, but I feel he's a completely different hitter than Heyward and don't see him struggling in his 2nd season. $#@!, everyone else has guys who blow up into superstars in their 2nd year, why not us for once??? We are due after Frency and Heyward...and I haven't completely given up on Heyward as long as he can stay healthy.

i don't expect .310, 28/95, but i don't really expect a slump either. he was .282, 21/76 last year. i think something along the lines of .290, 25/85 should be fairly realistic.

i also expect heyward to bounce back in a big way this year. .305, 30/90 with a .900+ ops and 15+ stolen bases. i think he'll be the best hitter on the team (or at least right there with mccann).

asshat GSU&UT grows his own roses GSU&UT grows his own roses GSU&UT grows his own roses GSU&UT grows his own roses GSU&UT grows his own roses GSU&UT grows his own roses GSU&UT grows his own roses GSU&UT grows his own roses GSU&UT grows his own roses GSU&UT grows his own roses GSU&UT grows his own roses GSU&UT's Avatar
    It's been a carousel of hitting coaches, but Heyward had someone outside the team helping him with his swing and approach last year, right? It really seems like great hitters will also hit poorly with the Braves in recent years.

Great background story on catching prospect Evan Gattis. Definitely rooting for this kid.

Braves slugger Gattis has a story. Man, does he ever

7:32 pm February 29, 2012, by David O'Brien

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. – It’s a rite of spring training: pitchers dominate hitters in early “live” batting practice, because pitchers have been throwing for weeks while hitters have been facing pedestrian 60-70 mph fastballs from coaches.

So imagine the surprise when Braves left-hander Eric O’Flaherty, who led major league relievers with a 0.98 ERA, began pitching to Evan Gattis last week and the minor league catcher jacked one after another to the far reaches of the ballpark and beyond.

“Normally guys are late on your heater this time of year, but he was turning on it, pulling it,” O’Flaherty said. “He hit a deep foul, took a couple deep to left field and I was like, who is this guy” A lot of guys come in taking pitches and feeling their way; he swung at everything I threw and just crushed it.”

Pitchers typically tell hitters what pitch is coming next in these sessions. O’Flaherty, juices now flowing, at one point told Gattis he was throwing a four-seamer. He threw a cutter instead. “And he crushed it anyway,” O’Flaherty said, shaking his head.

Gattis is a 6-foot-3, 235-pound, right-handed-hitter — “a beast, a man-child,” veteran catcher David Ross said — who hit .322 with 22 homers in just 88 games last season at Class-A Rome.

He is a non-roster invitee who’s created a buzz in Braves camp, both for his batting-practice exploits — including homers off O’Flaherty, closer Craig Kimbrel and top prospect Julio Teheran — and his highly unusual background.

Did we mention he is 25 and was out of baseball for nearly four years?

Who is this guy? Gattis himself is just starting to figure that out.

Journey began in Texas

Eight years ago, James Evan Gattis was a burly power hitter coming out of high school in Forney, Texas. He signed with Texas A&M, but never made it to College Station.

Instead he went to drug rehab for 30 days. Then a halfway house for three months. After a brief baseball career at an Oklahoma junior college, he dropped out and tried to tune in or turn on to something, anything that might give him some clarity.

His life began to resemble a Jack Kerouac novel mixed with new age spiritualism wherever he could find it. He traveled the western United States, stopping for a few months here and there, working jobs ranging from ski-lift operator to janitor.

“I knew there was something more,” Gattis said. “I just felt like there was this thing called happiness, and I wanted it. And the more you look for it, the more it seems further away.”

He told some Braves players his story recently. They were enthralled. The guy has lived a little bit.

“He,” Ross, “has lived a lotta bit.”

A career with many detours

Let’s back up. To 2004, when Gattis was set to play at A&M before abruptly deciding not to. He was 17. Gattis explained two years ago that had feared he might go to A&M and fail as a ballplayer, and his self-worth would be shattered.

He said this week there was another reason he didn’t go.

“I was terrified – I didn’t want to fail a drug test,” he said. “I didn’t want to be a mess-up, you know? I didn’t want to fail at that stage and have people say, ‘Here’s this kid with all this talent and he wasted it; what a shame’ and all that.”

Instead of going to college, his mother took him to drug rehab.

“I don’t know if that was the best choice, in hindsight,” he said. “But then again…”

Gattis said was diagnosed with clinical depression at one point and used several different medications. He also did plenty of self-medicating. Booze and marijuana.

He doesn’t know if he actually had depression, but said there were times he thought he’d end up dead if things didn’t change.

After 30 days of in-patient rehab, he went to Prescott, Ariz., for three months of out-patient care. While there he got a call from Seminole State (Okla.) baseball coach Eric Myers, asking if he was interested in playing.

“He said, ‘If you want to, it’d be a good spot for you.’” Gattis said. “He kind of found people like me. He was a good molder of people. He died since then, had a brain tumor. I wish he was still around, so I could thank him.”

Gattis redshirted as a freshman and played a half-season at Seminole, then left. Dropped out. Said he’d been sober for about 18 months before something happened.

“I was so overwhelmed with everything that I ended up quitting,” he said. “It surprised the hell out of me that [Myers] said, ‘Well, I see you as a friend and there’s no hard feelings. Enjoy whatever you’re going to do. Enjoy college.’ At that time I planned on going back to college and finishing my degree in psychology or something.”

He didn’t make it back to college.

Going out West

The next couple of years were a blur. Mom buys Gattis plane ticket to visit sister in Boulder, Colo. Falls in love with the place, sells his truck and moves there. Works at a pizza joint, gets a job as a lift operator at Eldora Mountain, hitch-hikes to work.

Seven months later, he got an itch again. Returned to Texas along with his brother, who’d been working at a Utah ski resort. The Gattis boys took jobs as janitors in Dallas at Datamatic – “we found it on Craig’s List” – then moved on to become cart-boys at a golf course.

“Right about this time I started finding these spiritual teachers or whatever on YouTube,” Gattis says, “and I thought, these mother******s know what I’m talking about. They’re speaking my language, whatever they’re saying.”

Gattis met with one such advisor when she came through Dallas. She said something that convinced him to drop everything and follow her to Taos, N.M. He told his parents a few days before Christmas, then left.

He lived in a hostel at Taos and worked at another ski resort there, but after three months Gattis was ready to move on.

“Going to California, going to see some different people,” he said. “Because there’s a lot of them from the West Coast — the California guru game.”

The starter failed on his 1995 Dodge pickup, so Gattis said he push-started it and drove to Los Angeles and Santa Barbara without once turning off the engine, filling up with gas while idling. From there he went to Santa Cruz, Calif., where he ran into a famous spiritualist he’d wanted to talk with about life. Gattis asked him, what do I need to do?

“It was kind of a letdown, but it was like, ‘OK, cool, I don’t have anything to do. I don’t have to find anything.’ He basically said, chill out.”
    Teammates and coaches say Gattis is a tireless worker who wants to get better. (Jason Getz photo/AJC)

Teammates and coaches say Gattis is a tireless worker who wants to get better. (Jason Getz photo/AJC)

A day or two later, Gattis had another epiphany. He wanted to play baseball again.

He was in San Francisco at the time. He said he waited four hours for two cars to move that were parked behind him on a steep street, so he could roll his truck into an alley, where he gave a six-pack of beer to a homeless person to help him push-start it.

Gattis called his dad and said he was coming home. He called his stepbrother, Drew Kendrick, a pitcher at the University of Texas-Permian Basin. The coach there remembered Gattis from high school, said there was a spot for him.

Back to baseball

Gattis, who hadn’t played since 2006, took a few months to shake rust off his swing. He hit .403 with 11 homers in his only season at UT-PB. Some teams were wary of his background, but the Braves drafted him in the 23rd round in 2010.

He weighed about 270 pounds at rookie-league Danville in 2010, where he hit .288 with four homers in 60 games. The following spring training, Gattis failed to win an opening day roster spot with any Braves minor league affiliate.

“When he came to camp that first year in instructional league he ended up hurting his knee,” said Joe Breeden, Braves minor league catching instructor. “But before he got hurt he asked me, ‘What should I do?’ I said the first thing you’ve got to do is you’ve got to get in shape. You need to lose some weight, 25-30 pounds at least.

“And he came back in that next spring and he was in great shape. Out of spring he didn’t make the [Rome] club and he was wearing it out down here in extended [spring training], really swinging it very well, hitting balls out to right-center, everywhere.”

Gattis was added to the Rome roster in May and punished A-ball pitching, winning the South Atlantic League batting title while posting a .386 on-base percentage and whopping .601 slugging percentage. He drove in 71 and homered 22 times in 338 at-bats.
    Gattis still needs to work on his footwork, but his throws from behind the plate have improved significantly and he's learning to call games. (Jason Getz photo/AJC)

Gattis still needs to work on his footwork, but his throws from behind the plate have improved significantly and he's learning to call games. (Jason Getz photo/AJC)

He still needs work defensively, but he’s got a strong arm and tireless work ethic, and Breeden said he’s extremely receptive to instruction.

“He works his butt off,” Breeden said. “You see him he’s in there every morning in the weight room, not just lifting but stretching and flexibility. He needs more flexibility to be able to move the way he needs to move. Losing the weight has allowed him to move…. To me he’s improved the most with his arm, just the accuracy and being able to have true carry all the time. It’s getting better and better.’

Gattis will move up to either high-A or Double-A this season — whichever of those levels the Braves don’t send top young catching prospect Christhian Bethancourt.

Even though he’s 25 and hasn’t played above A-ball, the Braves now consider Gattis a legit prospect.

“He’s got such strength, and a good swing,” assistant general manager Bruce Manno said. “Defensively he’s gotten better behind the plate. He just needs work. His arm’s good enough, it’s just a matter of — with a lot of guys — you work on the feet, the footwork. Coming out quicker, that kind of stuff. But he’s doing that.”

“He’s a little older, but with guys like that it really doesn’t matter. He started later.”

When he’s in the batting cage there’s a distinctive thwack!

“It’s a different sound off his bat,” Manno said.

He’s got plenty of new fans who’ll be following his progress this year.

“He has some serious power,” Ross said. “Kind of rare to see a young guy come in here and make that big an impression… He sat down and told us all his story the other day. He’s a good guy, man. He’s an interesting guy.

“He seems to have his head on straight, and he works hard. Those are the kind of stories that everybody loves. You like the guy that had troubles in life and done some different things. Everybody likes that story. Even us players — you like the guy who’s worked his tail off and things have paid off.”

Gattis said baseball once seemed pressure-filled and grueling. Not anymore. The only thing that’s overwhelmed him recently is happiness.

“I was crying the other day,” he said. “First day here, just like that. It seems like it’s been just like that, four years just flying by….

“I think it might have seemed like a job, because it is a lot of work. But now I feel like I can work harder than some people because I legitimately want to and I enjoy it. I enjoy working hard, you know what I mean? I want to get better.

“I want to see what next year brings, and simple things like how strong am I pound for pound? Technique and all that stuff is going to come, and it comes because we work on it every day. You’re surrounded by instruction, and it’s fun to me now to work hard. It’s fun to try to make yourself better.”

Does he feel like he’s getting closer to fulfilling a dream or reaching goals?

“Absolutely,” he said. “Now I’m trying to play forever. So we’ll see how that goes. Crazy, huh?”

There was just one more question: Did he ever find what he was looking for?

“I didn’t find anything,” he said, smiling. “But I don’t have to look anymore.”

1 hit in their preseason opener today.

la de da.

Quote Originally Posted by BigOrange View Post
    1 hit in their preseason opener today.

la de da.
    One bright spot...Minor seemed to be sharp.

Teheran with 6 homers in 1 2/3. yeesh

yeah, but at least they got some hits today.

Weak lineup today. Only regular starters were Pastornicky and Prado. Chipper's future replacement, Joe Terdoslavich, was 2-2. Delgado and Teheran were both horrible and looks like Minor has the lead for the 5th spot, although one of those two (or maybe Medlen) will need to step up for Hudson's first couple missed starts.

mccann and uggla both go 2/3 today (uggla homered), but jj struggled a bit in his first outing of the spring (2 ip, 3 h, 1bb, 0k, 2 er).

Another loss today as Beachy gave up 4 runs in 2 innings. Not much hitting to speak of, but Drew Sutton did go 2-2. I was pretty happy to hear that they picked him up as I think he'll be a nice utility guy.
    I know Spring Training doesn't count much, but sure would like to see them playing a little better.

i am just hoping that it's opening week rust and they'll start playing better in the next couple of weeks leading into the season.

Another bad outing for Jurrjens and Braves now 1-8 in the spring....

asshat pacman slams and goes hard. pacman slams and goes hard. pacman slams and goes hard. pacman slams and goes hard. pacman slams and goes hard. pacman slams and goes hard. pacman slams and goes hard. pacman slams and goes hard. pacman slams and goes hard. pacman slams and goes hard. pacman slams and goes hard.

Pitching does not look good this pre-season and I therefore don't feel good because expecting an increase in BA would be too much.

2-2 tie....we didn't lose! Minor pitched well again and may end up being our ace. Again, not much hitting, but Bethancourt did hit a solo shot. His defense is outstanding and if he can hit 270 with 10-15 homers (which I think he will), then you are looking at the next Yadier Molina and this will probably be McCann's last full season in a Braves uniform.

Another thing, Chipper is now complaining that he may not even make it through Spring Training....might help if you didn't come into camp 20 lbs overweight at the age of 40 knowing it's probably your last year.

$#@!, McCann's $12M option is guaranteed to be picked up next year, & they are trying to sign him to an extension.

Quote Originally Posted by spystud13 View Post
    $#@!, McCann's $12M option is guaranteed to be picked up next year, & they are trying to sign him to an extension.
    I would think if you are the braves, 12 mil is a small price to pay for the only guy on the team "guaranteed" to hit.

Quote Originally Posted by spystud13 View Post
    With the money Yadier Molina got, I can't see the Braves paying McCann $18M+....especially with Bethancourt ready by next year. Hope they do, but just don't see it.

Oh, I don't hope they sign him for $18M+/year, I hope they extend him for about 5-6 years around $15M/year. Can't see paying a catcher that much, but as mentioned above, he's pretty much our only consistant hitter.

Positive game today. A win, Braves with 13 hits, Heyward 2-3 w/homer, Uggla homer, Delgado was above average and Teheran wasn't horrible. Maybe this will turn them around.

More good news, Arodys Vizcaino is having Tommy John surgery today.

good chance this team finishes behind miami and/or washington??

It's a possibility, but I think any order of those three teams 2-4 in the division is possible. If Prado rebounds, Uggla is closer to 2nd half Uggla than first half Uggla, Heyward gets back on track and Freeman maintains or improves then the Braves are playoff contenders.

The lineup looking like: Bourn, Prado, Jones, McCann, Uggla, Freeman, Heyward and Pastornicky has potential (minus Pastornicky who I'm not sold on being ready yet). Because Chipper is Chipper I assume he'll get the 3-hole until he loses it or gets hurt.

The starting pitching is a HUGE question mark. They have an abundance of arms, but who do you feel comfortable with on the hill right now? Jurrjens has been awful. Hanson is an unknown. Teheran hasn't been good. You're looking at Minor, Beachy, Hanson and Jurrjens 1-4 but how comfortable are you with that?

The bullpen should be lights out again, but can the starting pitching get games to them with a chance to win? That's the big question.

asshat pacman slams and goes hard. pacman slams and goes hard. pacman slams and goes hard. pacman slams and goes hard. pacman slams and goes hard. pacman slams and goes hard. pacman slams and goes hard. pacman slams and goes hard. pacman slams and goes hard. pacman slams and goes hard. pacman slams and goes hard.
    You can watch the Braves/Nationals game today for free on mlb.tv, on now.

Got the MLB package through ps3 this year! Haven't been able to watch the Braves since they were on TBS! SO excited!

bunghole Fuga is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Fuga is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Fuga is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Fuga is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Fuga is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Fuga is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Fuga is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Fuga is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Fuga is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Fuga is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Fuga is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Fuga's Avatar
    Hope you paid the extra nickel so as to get all the home stations. Well worth it.

Chipper announces retirement after this season.

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...lanta-braves/1

Will be interesting to see how I feel about this one. I've never really been emotionally tied to a player before though I loved watching Emmitt Smith, Troy Aikman, et all. I do feel very connected to Chipper despite his issues.

In his career, through the 2011 season, Jones is a .304 hitter with 454 home runs, 1,455 walks, and 1,561 RBI in 2,387 games.
    Amazing.

probably two of my favorite cards growing up

bunghole Fuga is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Fuga is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Fuga is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Fuga is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Fuga is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Fuga is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Fuga is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Fuga is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Fuga is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Fuga is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Fuga is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Fuga's Avatar
    My daughter has that first one autographed. Or rather, she swears she still has it!

I did pay the extra. Very happy about the home/away broadcast!
    Sad about Chip. Need to go to atlanta this summer

Pastornicky probably just won the starting position with a 4-5 today against the Marlins. Even with the bad Spring, he was likely the favorite anyway. Simmons will be a Stud, but might have to wait another year.
    Last edited by EZ$; 03-22-2012 at 06:48 PM.

asshat utxmike05 grows his own roses utxmike05 grows his own roses utxmike05 grows his own roses utxmike05 grows his own roses utxmike05 grows his own roses utxmike05 grows his own roses utxmike05 grows his own roses utxmike05 grows his own roses utxmike05 grows his own roses utxmike05 grows his own roses utxmike05 grows his own roses utxmike05's Avatar
    Let's win a WS for Chip!

One of my first cards

Last edited by utxmike05; 03-22-2012 at 09:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by utxmike05 View Post
    Let's win a WS for Chip!
    It could happen!

hate to see him go, but glad they are doing it this way (getting the announcement out of the way now).

is going to be very weird not seeing #10 in the lineup.

Well, you won't be seeing him in the lineup to start the season. He's having knee surgery and starting the season on the DL.

+ Reply to Thread