i thought he put together a good staff of recruiters, but this is a better start than i hoped for. it's always easiest year 1 to recruit on hope - especially before playing in tuscaloosa - but i'm curious to see how many of these guys stick.
commits so far and thoughts:
1. derrick griffin - wr: stud, is he capable of counting to 3?
2. kerrick huggins - dt
3. christian lacouture - de/dt: moved to b/cs, we'll have to battle to keep him
4. kohl stewart - qb: overrated, there are better options for sumlin's offense
5. isaiah golden - dt
6. jamar gibson - wr
7. joas aguilar - ol
8. ishmael wilson - ol: stud, lsu will come storming after him soon
9. victor davis - s
10. johnny jefferson - rb/wr
11. james white - rb: love his film, big back we've needed for 3 years
12. jonathan wiggins - db/lb: average film, great frame
13. j.j. gustafson - ol
overall thoughts at the moment are 1. beaty is killing it in d/fw, considering we've had less than zero presence there for the past decade. and 2. i think 8 of these guys will be in the 4 star range, which is quite an improvement in the quality of recruit.
as i've said before, sumlin will succeed or fail based on his defensive front 7 recruiting, and it really doesn't matter who texas gets - if anyone at A&M can beat ou/osu/lsu for a couple of quality kids in dallas, houston and east texas, they can compete on the field.
we shall see how many of these guys are left in the fold novemberish.