+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Adopting a Dog?

asshat BuckeyesSuck is a rep whore. BuckeyesSuck is a rep whore. BuckeyesSuck is a rep whore. BuckeyesSuck is a rep whore. BuckeyesSuck is a rep whore. BuckeyesSuck is a rep whore. BuckeyesSuck is a rep whore. BuckeyesSuck is a rep whore. BuckeyesSuck is a rep whore. BuckeyesSuck is a rep whore. BuckeyesSuck is a rep whore. BuckeyesSuck's Avatar

Adopting a Dog?

I know there are a lot of shaggsters who volunteer in shelters or take random dogs left in apartment complexes. Seeing as this is the only place I go for information, drop some knowledge on me.

What I'm looking for (in an ideal world):

-Female
    -Younger ( <1 Year)
    -Large Breed
    -Friendly w/ smaller dogs

Other than that I'm pretty open to anything. Tips? Suggestions? Things to avoid? For example, I found lab/husky puppies at a local shelter, however they're only 6 weeks old and aren't with their mother. Will this be a problem down the road?

I'm not in TX so unfortunately I can't adopt any of TORs strays, but would love to know how to pick the right pup!
    Last edited by BuckeyesSuck; 02-28-2012 at 10:48 PM. Reason: OU Sucks

asshat Patrick Swayze GORN Patrick Swayze GORN Patrick Swayze GORN Patrick Swayze GORN Patrick Swayze GORN Patrick Swayze GORN Patrick Swayze GORN Patrick Swayze GORN Patrick Swayze GORN Patrick Swayze GORN Patrick Swayze GORN Patrick Swayze's Avatar
    Hmm, I am not sure I have any advice...but I do have a cool story bro. Wife and I went to Lone Star Boxer (I am a big fan of bully breeds). Found a great dog there, could not believe he had been there for 4 months and no one wanted him. Paid the fee ($200, he was already fixed and with his shots) and took him home. Been over a year now and he is a great dog. I love the lazy bastard. Glad we went the adoption route. Good luck.

asshat kmac30 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. kmac30 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. kmac30 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. kmac30 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. kmac30 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. kmac30 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. kmac30 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. kmac30 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. kmac30 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. kmac30 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. kmac30 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. kmac30's Avatar
    curious to know what the lab/husky puppies look like. i picked my dog up on the corner of pleasant valley and 3rd st back in '99. most vets say lab/husky or lab/chow. best dog i've ever had. he has a weak immune system though and that has made his life tough here and there (both types of mange, terrible allergies, countless battles with skin infections). oh, and he sheds. he's got an undercoat that sheds out every spring (it comes out like cotton balls) and the rest of his coat seems to replace itself on a weekly basis.

i also have a lab mix from paws animal shelter in kyle. she was about 9 months old when i got her. they claimed all shots and free of everything. turned out she had had distemper. vet gave me 3 options, keep her and deal with anything that comes, put her down, take her back (they would have put her down before i was out of the parking lot). she's 9 or so now and has been a great dog as well. we see some of the effects of the distemper but nothing major so far (chomping, like trying to catch a fly without the fly; mostly when she's nervous).

going to the shelters suck b/c there are so many dogs. i wouldn't be worried about getting a dog that was young without the mother.

strays are great dogs. the only thing i can suggest in raising a dog is to be stern from the beginning.

Do your research on dog types to see what you are willing to work with. For example, I have a pitt, best/kindest/most loyal dog I could ask for, but most rentable places don't allow the breed, as well as many cities banning the breed. There are little things to know about each breed. And hitting up your local shelter is the best plan of action you could take for acquiring a pet. If you don't take them, 99% chance they are getting put down. Or if you want a very specific purebreed dog, google nearby breeders. Completely up to you. Most shelter workers are very knowledgable on characteristics of breeds too.

asshat Baboontyme Shaggy Gold Club Baboontyme Shaggy Gold Club Baboontyme Shaggy Gold Club Baboontyme Shaggy Gold Club Baboontyme Shaggy Gold Club Baboontyme Shaggy Gold Club Baboontyme Shaggy Gold Club Baboontyme Shaggy Gold Club Baboontyme Shaggy Gold Club Baboontyme Shaggy Gold Club Baboontyme Shaggy Gold Club Baboontyme's Avatar
    Check this link out. Follow the quiz, take it a few different ways and you will come up with a few breeds that probably best fit your lifestyle. Once you have arrived there, you will have a basic idea of what to look for.

If you need help or a scout in the Metro D area, PM me, I'm happy to help out, save you a trip.

http://animal.discovery.com/breed-se...og-breeds.html

Proud Kohls Card Holder wix Shaggy Gold Club wix Shaggy Gold Club wix Shaggy Gold Club wix Shaggy Gold Club wix Shaggy Gold Club wix Shaggy Gold Club wix Shaggy Gold Club wix Shaggy Gold Club wix Shaggy Gold Club wix Shaggy Gold Club wix Shaggy Gold Club wix's Avatar
    Look up shelters and rescues in your area. Fill out the applications listing exactly what you're looking for, and see what matches they come up with for you. Most places will require a dog introduction to make sure your dog gets along with the one you're trying to adopt.

asshat Heel06 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Heel06 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Heel06 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Heel06 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Heel06 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Heel06 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Heel06 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Heel06 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Heel06 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Heel06 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Heel06 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Heel06's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kmac30 View Post
    going to the shelters suck b/c there are so many dogs.
    I got my lab as a 12 week old puppy from a rescue. Purebred yellow as far as I can tell - he was 1 or 3 yellow males out of a litter that also had 3 chocolate males. He's been awesome, just a breeze to raise and deal with. Not huge - 70lbs - but in great health save for sensitive skin. Laid back. Does whatever I tell him. Give him a tennis ball, a patch of grass, and some sunshine, and he'll just lay there and chomp on that tennis ball for hours happy as can be.

A year later, I decided I just wanted to get my boy a friend and save a dog from the needle while I was at it, so I went and picked out my mutt at the local kill shelter. She was in one of the very last kennels, so I had to walk past every single dog in that place and wonder how many weren't going to get homes, but she picked me as much as I picked her. I felt absolutely horrible watching those dogs come up to me and having to leave them behind. And to top it all of, a damn duststorm blew through the parking lot on the way out. Now my mutt is 50 pounds of hot mess filled with piss and vinegar. Smart, but stubborn and incredibly intense. She has two speeds: asleep and balls-to-the-wall. Everything that was easy about teaching my lab the rules was a chore with her, but she's really good once you can get past the crazy, and complements my lab really well.

My point is you might never quite know what you're going to get, but I wouldn't trade that little bitch for any other dog out there even with all the quirks. You'll probably just know which one to adopt when you see her. Six weeks is a little young, but it's not unheard of, either. Lab mixes are great, and with a mutt, you're not dealing with a puppy mill dog or one that has been line-bred and is a genetic time-bomb. Also, if you get one very young, you can socialize her at the park as soon as she's vaccinated so she's good around dogs of all sizes. Some shelters are staffed by horrible, evil people, but there are many good ones staffed with people who are trying to do everything they can to get a home for a dog, so they really try to help match you to the right dog - just ask.

Duke of New York Hellraiser97 Shaggy Gold Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Gold Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Gold Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Gold Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Gold Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Gold Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Gold Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Gold Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Gold Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Gold Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Gold Club Hellraiser97's Avatar
    Good for you Buckeye! Always applaud people who go through shelters instead of feeding the breeders.

Agree with most of the stuff said in the previous posts, and don't have really anything to add but to say that like Hell06, I got a dog that has two speeds and is stubborn as hell. She's been a lot of work over the past two years, but its easily been the most rewarding thing I have ever done.

asshat BuckeyesSuck is a rep whore. BuckeyesSuck is a rep whore. BuckeyesSuck is a rep whore. BuckeyesSuck is a rep whore. BuckeyesSuck is a rep whore. BuckeyesSuck is a rep whore. BuckeyesSuck is a rep whore. BuckeyesSuck is a rep whore. BuckeyesSuck is a rep whore. BuckeyesSuck is a rep whore. BuckeyesSuck is a rep whore. BuckeyesSuck's Avatar
    Great advice, thanks all.

My family has had labs since I was a wee lad, as a kid it was my responsibility to take care of the pup(s) so I'm not concerned with obedience training, establishing myself as the alpha, etc., I was doing that as a 13 year old.

sounds like most everyone has had a good experience.

Love the shag.

Shag's Crazy Uncle Cookie MrPhlegm GORN MrPhlegm GORN MrPhlegm GORN MrPhlegm GORN MrPhlegm GORN MrPhlegm GORN MrPhlegm GORN MrPhlegm GORN MrPhlegm GORN MrPhlegm GORN MrPhlegm GORN MrPhlegm's Avatar
    big breed? good with little dogs?

here you go...

wait, wut?

The hell is going on here?

Shaggy Goon MissingInAction might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MissingInAction might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MissingInAction might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MissingInAction might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MissingInAction might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MissingInAction might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MissingInAction might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MissingInAction might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MissingInAction might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MissingInAction might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MissingInAction might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MissingInAction's Avatar
    I have had a dog or two my entire life and a few things I have learned.

Adopt at 2+ years if you are a busy person. That way they are most likely house trained and know basic commands. Plus they are old enough to understand you saved them in some way.
    Stay the hell away from pure breeds. Too much potential for health problems and rarely live as long as a mutt will.
    If you are an active person go for a bird/cow dog mix. Pretty sure thats what mine is and shes the smartest dog I've ever owned.
    In the end the dog is going to be what you make it. Be consistent in your treatment and set boundaries.

• + Reply to Thread