+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Yup, it's gumbo time

asshat Brisketexan GORN Brisketexan GORN Brisketexan GORN Brisketexan GORN Brisketexan GORN Brisketexan GORN Brisketexan GORN Brisketexan GORN Brisketexan GORN Brisketexan GORN Brisketexan GORN Brisketexan's Avatar

Yup, it's gumbo time

Decided to make a smoked chicken andouille gumbo today - have never done one with smoked chicken, so this is a bit of an experiment.

Yesterday, smoked 8 chicken thighs (along w some leg quarters for a BBQ shicken lunch). Let them cool, pick the meat off, then use the trimmings to make stock.

Here's the veggies and seasonings that went in the stock, and a batch of stock in progress:

Then, on to the mis en place. Trinity plus garlic (hadn't peeled the garlic yet), and a link of andouille from Scott, La.:

Chicken meat, picked and ready:

Now, to start cooking.

First, you make a roux....

What's your address?

asshat TOR has a gigantic e-peen. TOR has a gigantic e-peen. TOR has a gigantic e-peen. TOR has a gigantic e-peen. TOR has a gigantic e-peen. TOR has a gigantic e-peen. TOR has a gigantic e-peen. TOR has a gigantic e-peen. TOR has a gigantic e-peen. TOR has a gigantic e-peen. TOR has a gigantic e-peen. TOR's Avatar
    Just trying to be the best teammate I can be
    Throw that in a crock pot and head to Houston, plox.

asshat Brisketexan GORN Brisketexan GORN Brisketexan GORN Brisketexan GORN Brisketexan GORN Brisketexan GORN Brisketexan GORN Brisketexan GORN Brisketexan GORN Brisketexan GORN Brisketexan GORN Brisketexan's Avatar
    The roux, about 15 minutes in:

And 30 minutes in...

And 40 minutes in, ready to add the veggies:

Veggies added (I wilt my veggies in the roux):

Wilt for 5-7 minutes, then add stock, meat, and a coupla bay leaves...and ready to simmer:

Simmering....

Will update when finished....

asshat Blain might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Blain might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Blain might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Blain might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Blain might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Blain might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Blain might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Blain might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Blain might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Blain might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Blain might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Blain's Avatar

Yeah, I'd probably eat that.

asshat Native Horn grows his own roses Native Horn grows his own roses Native Horn grows his own roses Native Horn grows his own roses Native Horn grows his own roses Native Horn grows his own roses Native Horn grows his own roses Native Horn grows his own roses Native Horn grows his own roses Native Horn grows his own roses Native Horn grows his own roses Native Horn's Avatar
    Please post pics of the gumbo sammich that Mrs. Brisket is surely assembling at this moment.

asshat Traffic is a rep whore. Traffic is a rep whore. Traffic is a rep whore. Traffic is a rep whore. Traffic is a rep whore. Traffic is a rep whore. Traffic is a rep whore. Traffic is a rep whore. Traffic is a rep whore. Traffic is a rep whore. Traffic is a rep whore. Traffic's Avatar
    nice color on the roux

Simmered for about an hour and a half, just added the okra (don't usually put okra in my winter gumbos, like my duck andouille gumbo, but was in the mood for it. And the #2 rule for making gumbo (rule #1 is "first, you make a roux") is "I'll put whatever I damn well want in my gumbo")...

That looks $#@!ing awesome!

Did you get the andouille from Best Stop Grocery in Scott, La.? If so, how was it? I've been itching to pull the trigger on an online order.
    Last edited by DeathMobile; 03-04-2012 at 06:16 PM.

Andouille is indeed from the Best Stop. And it's first rate.

Ready to serve:

And served up:

With French bread for soppin':

Pretty damned solid. Needs more seasoning (I underseason when cooking, as you can add salt etc, but you can't take it away). So, an extra dash of Tony's and a splash of hot sauce, and we're ready to go.

asshat retread Shaggy Gold Club retread Shaggy Gold Club retread Shaggy Gold Club retread Shaggy Gold Club retread Shaggy Gold Club retread Shaggy Gold Club retread Shaggy Gold Club retread Shaggy Gold Club retread Shaggy Gold Club retread Shaggy Gold Club retread Shaggy Gold Club retread's Avatar
    A sure thing. No questions asked. No strings attached.
    When does your bed and breakfast open again?

We normally get our andouille at Jacob's in La Place. I love to pick up packages of their smoked beef sticks.

http://www.cajunsausage.com/

My last batch of andouille, 2-3 years ago, was from Jacobs. I love La Place - still have family there. My folks recall back when the old highway took you through La Place to get to New Orleans. And an OLD restaurant there, the Airline Motors drive in, was THE benchmark for oyster andouille gumbo. Alas, it's been closed for years.

Cowboys and Texans fan ! tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt's Avatar
    more details on your roux because that looks about perfect

asshat Bedouin slams and goes hard. Bedouin slams and goes hard. Bedouin slams and goes hard. Bedouin slams and goes hard. Bedouin slams and goes hard. Bedouin slams and goes hard. Bedouin slams and goes hard. Bedouin slams and goes hard. Bedouin slams and goes hard. Bedouin slams and goes hard. Bedouin slams and goes hard. Bedouin's Avatar
    This place is nothing more than Lord of The Flies
    Quote Originally Posted by tx 3 putt View Post
    this

asshat Surly Bevo Shaggy Gold Club Surly Bevo Shaggy Gold Club Surly Bevo Shaggy Gold Club Surly Bevo Shaggy Gold Club Surly Bevo Shaggy Gold Club Surly Bevo Shaggy Gold Club Surly Bevo Shaggy Gold Club Surly Bevo Shaggy Gold Club Surly Bevo Shaggy Gold Club Surly Bevo Shaggy Gold Club Surly Bevo Shaggy Gold Club Surly Bevo's Avatar
    123Fauxloko

My wife was born in La Place, we normally drive through there and pick up some andouille on our way back to Dallas from Metairie.

That looks great. Do you put file in your gumbos? I love okra in my gumbo but have not ever added the file to it. Read a lot about gumbos and see where a lot of the folks in certain parts of LA. put a big scoop of potato salit in the middle of their bowl. I'm not sure that would be to my liking.

The roux's pretty easy. About 1 1/4 to 1 1/3 cup flour to a cup of oil. I also play it close to the edge, heat-wise - I go with the high side of "medium-high," which lets me finish it in about 40 minutes. If I play it less risky, takes me closer to an hour. I also let it sit unstirred for periods of 30-45 seconds. That lets it add some real browning to the bottom layer of roux. At the very beginning, i even let it sit for 2 minute at a time. As we get closer to the end, I stir more frequently. And that's it.

And I love file in my gumbo - my duck andouille gumbo is usually a file gumbo. As for putting a scoop of potato salad in there, I've heard of it, but never actually had it.
    Last edited by Brisketexan; 03-04-2012 at 09:07 PM.

asshat Traffic is a rep whore. Traffic is a rep whore. Traffic is a rep whore. Traffic is a rep whore. Traffic is a rep whore. Traffic is a rep whore. Traffic is a rep whore. Traffic is a rep whore. Traffic is a rep whore. Traffic is a rep whore. Traffic is a rep whore. Traffic's Avatar
    he probably just eyeballs it until it looks ready.

amirite?

asshat creasy grows his own roses creasy grows his own roses creasy grows his own roses creasy grows his own roses creasy grows his own roses creasy grows his own roses creasy grows his own roses creasy grows his own roses creasy grows his own roses creasy grows his own roses creasy grows his own roses creasy's Avatar
    That is a beautiful dark roux, your gumbo looks exactly the way I like it!

You let your roux sit unstirred for up to 2 minutes?? Ballz, you has them.

I only leave it for 2 minutes in the early stage, when it's just starting to get its color. As for final color, I used to match it to my now-departed chocolate lab. But think of a dark milk chocolate, and you're there.

The wife had a bowl of leftover gumbo when she got in late tonight from her study group. It's always better as leftovers (I really don't know why, but that is the case with every gumbo I've ever had), but she declared that it's her favorite of all the gumbos I've made. She even prefers it to my seafood gumbos. So, there's that.

asshat Heel06 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Heel06 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Heel06 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Heel06 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Heel06 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Heel06 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Heel06 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Heel06 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Heel06 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Heel06 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Heel06 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Heel06's Avatar
    I had a relative from Loseriana who was obsessive about gumbo, so I know how people usually $#@! it up. You, sir, nailed it. Look at that mise - smoked your own dark meat chicken, legit-ass scratch stock, real andouille, gorgeous color on the roux (I'm impatient), okra, and you put the rice on top! Respect. That looks to be every bit authentic restaurant quality. I'd eat myself into a coma if you put a pot of that in front of me.

Do you not cook your okra before adding it? I always fry it up in some oil first and I would think it would be pretty crunchy if you didn't.

NAACP National Champ Snacks GORN Snacks GORN Snacks GORN Snacks GORN Snacks GORN Snacks GORN Snacks GORN Snacks GORN Snacks GORN Snacks GORN Snacks GORN Snacks's Avatar
    would smash.

Quote Originally Posted by Brisketexan View Post
    It's always better as leftovers (I really don't know why, but that is the case with every gumbo I've ever had)
    I think this is common in a lot of dishes. Flavors are allowed to develop and work together over time.

would smash

asshat Gardner Barnes Shaggy Gold Club Gardner Barnes Shaggy Gold Club Gardner Barnes Shaggy Gold Club Gardner Barnes Shaggy Gold Club Gardner Barnes Shaggy Gold Club Gardner Barnes Shaggy Gold Club Gardner Barnes Shaggy Gold Club Gardner Barnes Shaggy Gold Club Gardner Barnes Shaggy Gold Club Gardner Barnes Shaggy Gold Club Gardner Barnes Shaggy Gold Club Gardner Barnes's Avatar
    Looks good, but why ruin a good roux like that with okra. okra is for fehgss that burn their roux

Here's why...cuz I furkin' felt like it.

Yup, it's gumbo time.

asshat Surly Bevo Shaggy Gold Club Surly Bevo Shaggy Gold Club Surly Bevo Shaggy Gold Club Surly Bevo Shaggy Gold Club Surly Bevo Shaggy Gold Club Surly Bevo Shaggy Gold Club Surly Bevo Shaggy Gold Club Surly Bevo Shaggy Gold Club Surly Bevo Shaggy Gold Club Surly Bevo Shaggy Gold Club Surly Bevo Shaggy Gold Club Surly Bevo's Avatar
    Those are 13 pics of massive win right there.

asshat TOR has a gigantic e-peen. TOR has a gigantic e-peen. TOR has a gigantic e-peen. TOR has a gigantic e-peen. TOR has a gigantic e-peen. TOR has a gigantic e-peen. TOR has a gigantic e-peen. TOR has a gigantic e-peen. TOR has a gigantic e-peen. TOR has a gigantic e-peen. TOR has a gigantic e-peen. TOR's Avatar
    Just trying to be the best teammate I can be
    I must spread some rep around and whatnot.

Got DAYYUM.

Hipster Rights Advocate texassax Shaggy Gold Club texassax Shaggy Gold Club texassax Shaggy Gold Club texassax Shaggy Gold Club texassax Shaggy Gold Club texassax Shaggy Gold Club texassax Shaggy Gold Club texassax Shaggy Gold Club texassax Shaggy Gold Club texassax Shaggy Gold Club texassax Shaggy Gold Club texassax's Avatar
    there are certain things that can make you feel like you're starving even though you aren't remotely hungry. this is one of those things.

Itismecaptainsaveaho ChampKind Shaggy Gold Club ChampKind Shaggy Gold Club ChampKind Shaggy Gold Club ChampKind Shaggy Gold Club ChampKind Shaggy Gold Club ChampKind Shaggy Gold Club ChampKind Shaggy Gold Club ChampKind Shaggy Gold Club ChampKind Shaggy Gold Club ChampKind Shaggy Gold Club ChampKind Shaggy Gold Club ChampKind's Avatar
    Where there's smoke there's fire. So look for the smoke
    You know what I hate about GM Steakhouse? Opening one of these threads this early in the morning and immediately feeling hungry.

Yeah, that $#@! looks good. An aside, the best gumbo I make is with leftover smoked turkey. And its just about that time of year....

asshat Mr. Drummond can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Mr. Drummond can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Mr. Drummond can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Mr. Drummond can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Mr. Drummond can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Mr. Drummond can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Mr. Drummond can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Mr. Drummond can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Mr. Drummond can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Mr. Drummond can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Mr. Drummond can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Mr. Drummond's Avatar
    Certain smells occur while cooking/baking that make me happy.

Throwing the veggies into the roux is one of them.

Wow, nice job, looks great.

I liked my gumbo with a peanut butter colored roux, but hey looks like fine work.

asshat creasy grows his own roses creasy grows his own roses creasy grows his own roses creasy grows his own roses creasy grows his own roses creasy grows his own roses creasy grows his own roses creasy grows his own roses creasy grows his own roses creasy grows his own roses creasy grows his own roses creasy's Avatar
    I took the day off today to recuperate from ACL. Felt kind of restless, so decided to do some therapeutic cooking.

I was extremely pleased with this batch of roux.

Simmering.

Balsamic roasted brussels sprouts to snack on.

Done.

It was tasty.

Thanks for the inspiration, guys!

asshat JSB slams and goes hard. JSB slams and goes hard. JSB slams and goes hard. JSB slams and goes hard. JSB slams and goes hard. JSB slams and goes hard. JSB slams and goes hard. JSB slams and goes hard. JSB slams and goes hard. JSB slams and goes hard. JSB slams and goes hard. JSB's Avatar
    I love you Creasy, that looks great, + rep, not that you need it though

faux aggy hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew's Avatar
    Brisket..was the stock really smokey when you used the trimmings from smoked chicken. I tried to make one once with the breast bones/trimming from some turkeys and it was WAY too smokey but I was using it for a base for some soup and not something with more ingredients/taste.

Quote Originally Posted by hullabelew View Post
    Brisket..was the stock really smokey when you used the trimmings from smoked chicken. I tried to make one once with the breast bones/trimming from some turkeys and it was WAY too smokey but I was using it for a base for some soup and not something with more ingredients/taste.
    It's definitely smokey, but it stands up well to (1) the richness of a dark, dark roux and (2) the saltiness of the andouille. It's not overly smokey -- understand that the stock is only being made from 8 pieces of chicken worth of trimmings, so it's not that strong/rich. I mean, it is when you cook it down, but when diluted into a full pot of gumbo, it's not that strong.

Quote Originally Posted by creasy View Post
    Balsamic roasted brussels sprouts to snack on.

^^these look good. Just toss in some s&p and balsamic and roast em at 350-400 or is there something more to it?

bunghole feed_the_horse is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? feed_the_horse is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? feed_the_horse is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? feed_the_horse is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? feed_the_horse is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? feed_the_horse is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? feed_the_horse is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? feed_the_horse is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? feed_the_horse is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? feed_the_horse is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares?
    Questions on roux for you all. My roux is stuck at the peanut butter color stage and I can’t seem to get it darker. What do I need to do? More time (I usually spend 1 hour plus)? Switch to oil instead of butter? Do I need to crank up the heat a bit more? Any recommendations?

Just made some gumbo…but now I want to make some more. These all look so good.

Quote Originally Posted by feed_the_horse View Post
    Questions on roux for you all. My roux is stuck at the peanut butter color stage and I can’t seem to get it darker. What do I need to do? More time (I usually spend 1 hour plus)? Switch to oil instead of butter? Do I need to crank up the heat a bit more? Any recommendations?

Just made some gumbo…but now I want to make some more. These all look so good.
    Holy $#@!. An hour, and you don't get above peanut butter? Yeah, crank up the heat -- I have the burner at around 50%-60%, maybe even a touch higher or lower, just depends. Use a heavy-bottom pot (enamel cast iron is ideal) -- it holds heat very well. And DON'T STIR ALL THE TIME. I leave my roux unstirred for a few minutes at a time early on in the process, and even 2 minutes at a time later in the process. As I turn the roux, I see that the bottom (in contact with the heat) has taken on more color than the roux on the top. Whisk, and let it sit another 2 minutes. Etc. etc. Each time, it gets a little bit darker. My last roux was dark as could be, and it only took me maybe 45-50 minutes.

asshat EE2B grows his own roses EE2B grows his own roses EE2B grows his own roses EE2B grows his own roses EE2B grows his own roses EE2B grows his own roses EE2B grows his own roses EE2B grows his own roses EE2B grows his own roses EE2B grows his own roses EE2B grows his own roses EE2B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hullabelew View Post
    I used smoked chicken one time for chicken and dumplings and quickly realized that I had $#@!ed up. If I don't feel like cooking a separate chicken now, I just buy a roasted one from the store.

bunghole feed_the_horse is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? feed_the_horse is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? feed_the_horse is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? feed_the_horse is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? feed_the_horse is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? feed_the_horse is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? feed_the_horse is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? feed_the_horse is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? feed_the_horse is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? feed_the_horse is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares?
    Yep...no $#@!.ha. Slightly darker than peanut butter sometimes, but still. I use a enamel cast iron pot, but I stir it a lot..on low heat, so there is probably my problem. Thank you! So far, everything has tasted good...but I know it can be much better.

I definetly will need to make a batch soon.

Quote Originally Posted by whoopspat View Post
    ^^these look good. Just toss in some s&p and balsamic and roast em at 350-400 or is there something more to it?
    Ha, I was googling "zucchini site:shaggybevo.com" and came across this post.

^ Funny.

They're very easy. I love this recipe because the prep is so simple and then you just toss them in the oven. Trim & halve; toss in olive oil, sea salt, black pepper and a few splashes of balsamic (I eyeball it, it's really to your taste; the more you use, the more caramelization you will get). Roast in oven (I use 9X12 pyrex casserole) at 375-400 for 40-50 minutes, or until slightly charred.

Also, I don't always blanch them; they're just less crunch if you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by feed_the_horse View Post
    Questions on roux for you all. My roux is stuck at the peanut butter color stage and I can’t seem to get it darker.
    The roux I made for this pot took about 30 minutes on medium heat. I do differ from Brisketexan in that I like to stir constantly. It does sound like your issue is temperature, so should be an easy fix!

So I want to make a really big batch of gumbo. I think it is important to make the roux (especially for a first-timer) in a dutch oven. So, is it possible to make the roux in the dutch oven then transfer it to a large stock pot to make the rest of it? If so, should I do this before or after adding the trinity?

Also, ditto on the smoked chicken question. If using smoked pulled chicken in the gumbo, should we steer away from using the bones for the stock for said gumbo?

+ Reply to Thread