+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Carolina's prove their Bass-ackwardness: No one checked their boundaries for 265yrs

asshat KC-97HORN Shaggy Gold Club KC-97HORN Shaggy Gold Club KC-97HORN Shaggy Gold Club KC-97HORN Shaggy Gold Club KC-97HORN Shaggy Gold Club KC-97HORN Shaggy Gold Club KC-97HORN Shaggy Gold Club KC-97HORN Shaggy Gold Club KC-97HORN Shaggy Gold Club KC-97HORN Shaggy Gold Club KC-97HORN Shaggy Gold Club KC-97HORN's Avatar

Carolina's prove their Bass-ackwardness: No one checked their boundaries for 265yrs

Even though the lawmakers of the 2 states have known for years that surveys from the 1700's were notoriously inaccurate- in many cases off by miles, they didnt bother doing a new survey until 2010.

The whole reason Toledo is in Ohio instead of Michigan is because the original survey guys screwed up by about 60miles. Ohio/Michigan had a huge row over Toledo back in the early 1810s, and Georgia/Florida fought over their boundaries, along with Georga/Tennesss over the years.

Yet N and S Carolina went along ignorantly keeping a border that was based on hatchet marks (seriously) from the original survey.

and its relevant because......?

93 homes that people purchased specifically because they were in South Carolina (better schools, less expensive gas, taxes its not NORTH Carolina, etc...) including several in a major subdivision, are now being changed to North Carolina residents. screwing up where their kids go to school, what taxes they have to pay, and all kinds of other issues.

and since there's a rivalry between the 2 states, it would almost be like someone living in East Texas suddenly being told, sorry man, you are now a cajun.

I wonder if the homeowners have any recourse to sue their title companies that signed off on the property descriptions being in South Carolina?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46832892/ns/us_news-life/

LAKE WYLIE, S.C. — Relatively small errors by surveyors using stakes, hatchets and mental arithmetic 240 years ago could mean the end of Victor Boulware's tiny convenience store.

For decades, officials thought the land where the store sits was in South Carolina, because maps said the boundary with North Carolina drawn back in the 1700s was just to the north.

But modern-day surveyors, using computers and GPS systems, redrew the border to narrow it down to the centimeter. Their results put the new line about 150 feet south of the old one and placed Boulware's Lake Wylie Minimarket in North Carolina, where the gas prices are 30 cents higher and the fireworks that boost his bottom line are illegal.

"If I end up across the line, it is going to shut this business down," Boulware said.

On a recent weekday, nearly every car stopping to get gas or a snack had a North Carolina license plate. The $3.59 per gallon price was the only reason Aaron Taule of Belmont, N.C., stopped.

"It's all about saving money, right?" Taule said. "If this place had North Carolina prices, I'd of just waved and passed right by."

But for the owners of 93 properties who suddenly find themselves in another state, it's a bureaucratic nightmare. The state line determines so much in their lives — what schools they go to, what area code their phone number starts with even who provides them gas and electricity. Small utility cooperatives in South Carolina are banned from extending services across the state line. Most of the properties in question are near Charlotte, N.C.

"I'm having a hard time being funny about this when mysterious forces bigger than you are shoving you around," said Frederick Berlinger, who suddenly has been told that he goes to bed at night in Spartanburg County, S.C. after 15 years in what he thought was Polk County, N.C.

He studied maps when he bought more than 60 acres of land in the mid-1990s. About two-thirds was in South Carolina, but he picked the spot for his home in North Carolina. Or at least he thought he did.

[b]The problems for Berlinger and the other property owners began before the United States was even a country, when the king of England sent surveyors to draw a boundary between the two Carolinas. His instructions in 1735 were explicit: Start 30 miles south of the mouth of the Cape Fear River and have surveyors head northwest until they reached 35 degrees latitude. Then the border would head west across the country to the Pacific Ocean. But the surveyors didn't follow the instructions exactly[b], and future instructions led to the state line's twists and turns around Charlotte and in the mountains.

The surveyors used poles and measured chains, determining what direction to head from the sun and stars, doing math in their heads, and putting hatchet blows on trees to mark the boundary. Over time, those trees disappeared, but the state line still needed to show up on maps.

For decades, mapmakers and officials in both North Carolina and South Carolina urged their states to revisit the line. The U.S. Congress set the boundary as the instructions given out by the king, not the line on subsequent maps.

"This should have been done decades ago before all this growth. People called us, we're supposed to be the authorities on the state line and all we could say is we don't know for certain," said Sidney Miller, who is helping lead the survey for South Carolina.

This survey is designed to put almost all questions about where the line is drawn to rest. The boundary will be recorded with GPS coordinates and permanently marked with stakes and stones driven into the ground.

Boundary disputes in the United States are as old as the country's founding and often get nasty. The U.S. Supreme Court has settled arguments between Georgia and Florida; Oklahoma and Texas; Missouri and Iowa. Michigan and Ohio nearly went to war in the 1830s over a strip of land.

North Carolina and South Carolina wanted to solve their problems with a little more Southern cooperation, so they created the Joint Boundary Commission nearly two decades ago.

The commission meets Friday in Rock Hill, S.C. Members are expected to work on proposals they hope will be passed in each state to grandfather in where landowners send their children to school, forgive them for back taxes they may owe and allow utilities to cross state lines to serve customers without disruption.

Jeff Langley has already spoken to members of the commission. He lives about a mile from the Lake Wylie Minimart in a subdivision that's split by the state line. Langley bought a home 15 years ago, checking carefully that it was in South Carolina. The new state line now goes through his back deck and the house is in North Carolina.

He's worried about a property tax increase and a potential drop in his property value. He's asked his South Carolina House member and senator for help, but chances are he soon won't be able to vote for either of them. He's aggravated about the change, but is resigned to it. But the government can't make the Clemson fan happy about it.

"I was born a sandlapper and I want to remain a sandlapper," Langley wrote to the commission. "And there is no way in hell I am rooting for the Tar Heels."

Once both Carolinas take action to make the transition easier for the 93 property owners, the commission will submit the new state line to the Legislature in South Carolina and the North Carolina Council of State for approval. Not approving the border could open either state up to a number of lawsuits.

The survey work isn't finished. The team is preparing to draw the rest of the state line all the way to the Atlantic Ocean. Fewer problems are expected because the area is more rural.
    tl;dr 93 Border-dwelling S Carolina residents are now N Carolina residents- lolz sux for them

asshat TexasEd might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TexasEd might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TexasEd might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TexasEd might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TexasEd might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TexasEd might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TexasEd might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TexasEd might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TexasEd might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TexasEd might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TexasEd might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TexasEd's Avatar
    ahem *Carolinas*

All I want to know is if that "South of the Border" abomination is actually North of the Border.
    Last edited by TexasEd; 03-23-2012 at 10:00 AM.

Prolific Pedant Huckleberry GORN Huckleberry GORN Huckleberry GORN Huckleberry GORN Huckleberry GORN Huckleberry GORN Huckleberry GORN Huckleberry GORN Huckleberry GORN Huckleberry GORN Huckleberry GORN Huckleberry's Avatar
    Can someone give me a Cliff's Notes version of why the Toledo thing was decided in Ohio's favor while this one won't be decided in South Carolina's?

Can't Congress pass a bill in a day that designates the North Carolina/South Carolina border as the one that has been understood for the last 250 years?

asshat pescado_rojo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? pescado_rojo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? pescado_rojo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? pescado_rojo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? pescado_rojo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? pescado_rojo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? pescado_rojo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? pescado_rojo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? pescado_rojo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? pescado_rojo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? pescado_rojo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? pescado_rojo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post
    Can someone give me a Cliff's Notes version of why the Toledo thing was decided in Ohio's favor while this one won't be decided in South Carolina's?

Can't Congress pass a bill in a day that designates the North Carolina/South Carolina border as the one that has been understood for the last 250 years?
    That depends on what's in it for congress...

asshat TexasEd might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TexasEd might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TexasEd might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TexasEd might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TexasEd might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TexasEd might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TexasEd might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TexasEd might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TexasEd might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TexasEd might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TexasEd might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TexasEd's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pescado_rojo View Post
    That depends on what's in it for congress...
    The chances of that happening are directly proportional to a member of the party in power from the house or senate living in the affected area.

Don't forget the Greer/Harmon County fiasco in 1896. Otherwise Darrell Royal would've been a native born Texan.

goddam Adams-Onis Treaty

asshat KC-97HORN Shaggy Gold Club KC-97HORN Shaggy Gold Club KC-97HORN Shaggy Gold Club KC-97HORN Shaggy Gold Club KC-97HORN Shaggy Gold Club KC-97HORN Shaggy Gold Club KC-97HORN Shaggy Gold Club KC-97HORN Shaggy Gold Club KC-97HORN Shaggy Gold Club KC-97HORN Shaggy Gold Club KC-97HORN Shaggy Gold Club KC-97HORN's Avatar
    short answer is Michigan got the Northern Peninsula in exchange.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michiga...border_dispute

asshat OakHill Horn grows his own roses OakHill Horn grows his own roses OakHill Horn grows his own roses OakHill Horn grows his own roses OakHill Horn grows his own roses OakHill Horn grows his own roses OakHill Horn grows his own roses OakHill Horn grows his own roses OakHill Horn grows his own roses OakHill Horn grows his own roses OakHill Horn grows his own roses OakHill Horn's Avatar
    There's a show on the History channel, How States got their shapes. Pretty interesting.

asshat MrPhlegm might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MrPhlegm might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MrPhlegm might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MrPhlegm might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MrPhlegm might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MrPhlegm might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MrPhlegm might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MrPhlegm might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MrPhlegm might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MrPhlegm might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MrPhlegm might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MrPhlegm's Avatar
    sandlapper?

asshat TrashMaster G grows his own roses TrashMaster G grows his own roses TrashMaster G grows his own roses TrashMaster G grows his own roses TrashMaster G grows his own roses TrashMaster G grows his own roses TrashMaster G grows his own roses TrashMaster G grows his own roses TrashMaster G grows his own roses TrashMaster G grows his own roses TrashMaster G grows his own roses TrashMaster G's Avatar
    It's amazing to me that something like this is an issue in 2012.

dead from aggy misery od Ghost of LL might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ghost of LL might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ghost of LL might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ghost of LL might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ghost of LL might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ghost of LL might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ghost of LL might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ghost of LL might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ghost of LL might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ghost of LL might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ghost of LL might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ghost of LL's Avatar
    They Tried to Make Me Go to Aggy Misery Rehab . . .
    Because the Toledo thing was settled by Congress. And at the time it was settled Ohio was a state (and hence had representation in Congress) and Michigan was still just a territory (and hence had no representation in Congress). So Michigan got $#@!ed.

asshat Wally Banger is a rep whore. Wally Banger is a rep whore. Wally Banger is a rep whore. Wally Banger is a rep whore. Wally Banger is a rep whore. Wally Banger is a rep whore. Wally Banger is a rep whore. Wally Banger is a rep whore. Wally Banger is a rep whore. Wally Banger is a rep whore. Wally Banger is a rep whore.
    How did Frederick Berlinger end up going from living in North Carolina to South Carolina, when they moved the line 150 feet south?

dead from aggy misery od Ghost of LL might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ghost of LL might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ghost of LL might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ghost of LL might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ghost of LL might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ghost of LL might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ghost of LL might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ghost of LL might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ghost of LL might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ghost of LL might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ghost of LL might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ghost of LL's Avatar
    They Tried to Make Me Go to Aggy Misery Rehab . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by Wally Banger View Post
    How did Frederick Berlinger end up going from living in North Carolina to South Carolina, when they moved the line 150 feet south?
    I think the problem is that it's just horribly inaccurate. It's supposed to be a straight line, but it isn't. So at some points, the current boundary is too far south, and at others it's too far north.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toledo_War

Why would anyone choose to live in South Carolina over North Carolina?

Is Carowinds still safe?

Isn't there some dispute over the Texas - New Mexico border somewhere? As I recall, NM had a pretty good case that the land was actually part of NM, but Texas has basically told them to pound sand.

Bernard

asshat bernorange is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. bernorange is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. bernorange is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. bernorange is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. bernorange is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. bernorange is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. bernorange is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. bernorange is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. bernorange is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. bernorange is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. bernorange is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. bernorange's Avatar
    It'll be annexed by Houston sooner or later anyway.

asshat pmg is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. pmg is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. pmg is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. pmg is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. pmg is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. pmg is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. pmg is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. pmg is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. pmg is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. pmg is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. pmg is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. pmg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
    Isn't there some dispute over the Texas - New Mexico border somewhere? As I recall, NM had a pretty good case that the land was actually part of NM, but Texas has basically told them to pound sand.

Bernard
    Yes, our border w/ NM is way off due to a bad survey. The OK/NM border is correct, for reference.

asshat Surly Bevo Shaggy Gold Club Surly Bevo Shaggy Gold Club Surly Bevo Shaggy Gold Club Surly Bevo Shaggy Gold Club Surly Bevo Shaggy Gold Club Surly Bevo Shaggy Gold Club Surly Bevo Shaggy Gold Club Surly Bevo Shaggy Gold Club Surly Bevo Shaggy Gold Club Surly Bevo Shaggy Gold Club Surly Bevo Shaggy Gold Club Surly Bevo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pmg View Post
    Yes, our border w/ NM is way off due to a bad survey. The OK/NM border is correct, for reference.
    Is there anything we could get rid of?

If you recently changed from a south carolinian to a north carolinian are you now less racist?

Prolific Pedant Huckleberry GORN Huckleberry GORN Huckleberry GORN Huckleberry GORN Huckleberry GORN Huckleberry GORN Huckleberry GORN Huckleberry GORN Huckleberry GORN Huckleberry GORN Huckleberry GORN Huckleberry's Avatar
    That just further makes me wonder why the dispute isn't resolved in favor of the traditional Carolina border. Didn't New Mexico basically release their claim in exchange for statehood? It seems like these things usually end up with the traditional borders, even if they're in error.

asshat carrera slams and goes hard. carrera slams and goes hard. carrera slams and goes hard. carrera slams and goes hard. carrera slams and goes hard. carrera slams and goes hard. carrera slams and goes hard. carrera slams and goes hard. carrera slams and goes hard. carrera slams and goes hard. carrera slams and goes hard. carrera's Avatar
    can you still get in state tuition at bob jones u?

asshat random horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? random horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? random horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? random horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? random horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? random horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? random horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? random horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? random horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? random horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? random horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? random horn's Avatar
    considering the tools available 250 years ago, being off by 150 ft ain't too bad

asshat pmg is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. pmg is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. pmg is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. pmg is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. pmg is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. pmg is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. pmg is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. pmg is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. pmg is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. pmg is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. pmg is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. pmg's Avatar
    That just further makes me wonder why the dispute isn't resolved in favor of the traditional Carolina border. Didn't New Mexico basically release their claim in exchange for statehood? It seems like these things usually end up with the traditional borders, even if they're in error.
    I am not aware of any resolution to the NM/TX dispute. There is a lot of land and oil/gas involved; it's off by 3 miles, about 600,000 acres.

Stripper's ATM NeverMarryAStripper might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? NeverMarryAStripper might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? NeverMarryAStripper might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? NeverMarryAStripper might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? NeverMarryAStripper might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? NeverMarryAStripper might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? NeverMarryAStripper might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? NeverMarryAStripper might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? NeverMarryAStripper might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? NeverMarryAStripper might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? NeverMarryAStripper might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? NeverMarryAStripper's Avatar
    If it flies, floats or fucks just rent it
    I need to call my cousin who lives Lake Wylie and ask her if she is now a North Carolinian

If Congress is moving boundaries, please remove all of Oklahoma from the US...

Seleccion Suprema No. 1 Macanudo Shaggy Gold Club Macanudo Shaggy Gold Club Macanudo Shaggy Gold Club Macanudo Shaggy Gold Club Macanudo Shaggy Gold Club Macanudo Shaggy Gold Club Macanudo Shaggy Gold Club Macanudo Shaggy Gold Club Macanudo Shaggy Gold Club Macanudo Shaggy Gold Club Macanudo Shaggy Gold Club Macanudo's Avatar
    It says a lot when the "better" schools are in South Carolina.

asshat Beau Vine might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Beau Vine might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Beau Vine might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Beau Vine might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Beau Vine might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Beau Vine might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Beau Vine might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Beau Vine might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Beau Vine might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Beau Vine might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Beau Vine might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Beau Vine's Avatar
    SANTA FE - A 144-year-old dispute over a strip of land along the New Mexico-Texas border will be settled with an old-fashioned duel, if the land commissioners of both state's have any say in the matter. Texas Land Commissioner Jerry Patterson issued a challenge Friday to New Mexico Land Commissioner Patrick Lyons. The duel would take place on the New Mexico-Texas border with traditional dueling pistols, Patterson said.
    "Since Pat's the only statewide elected Republican in New Mexico, you can trust me - I won't shoot to kill," Patterson said in a humorous written challenge. "I think I'll just wing him."
    "Anytime, anywhere," Lyons said as he accepted the challenge. "We'll settle this once and for all 'cause I never miss a shot."
    The dispute centers on 603,485 acres in west Texas.
    In 1859, a surveyor established the nation's 103rd meridian as the border between Texas and New Mexico. But he then set the actual boundary too far west - 2.29 miles in some places, 3.77 miles in others, according to New Mexico officials.
    Today, the Texas towns of Farwell, Texline, Bledsoe and Bronco lie within the strip, along with a lot of empty oil and grazing land.
    New Mexico's territorial officials protested the error in a 1910 draft constitution for statehood. Federal officials then redid the survey and ruled that the 1859 version had indeed botched it.
    But Texas fought back. In 1911, the feds essentially told New Mexico to give up the land claim or forget about statehood.
    In 1912, New Mexico became a state - minus 603,485 acres.

The Carolina way ?

asshat Tailleur17 Shaggy Gold Club Tailleur17 Shaggy Gold Club Tailleur17 Shaggy Gold Club Tailleur17 Shaggy Gold Club Tailleur17 Shaggy Gold Club Tailleur17 Shaggy Gold Club Tailleur17 Shaggy Gold Club Tailleur17 Shaggy Gold Club Tailleur17 Shaggy Gold Club Tailleur17 Shaggy Gold Club Tailleur17 Shaggy Gold Club Tailleur17's Avatar
    But Texas fought back. In 1911, the feds essentially told New Mexico to give up the land claim or forget about statehood.
    In 1912, New Mexico became a state - minus 603,485 acres.
    Like a boss.

asshat MajorTexasFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MajorTexasFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MajorTexasFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MajorTexasFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MajorTexasFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MajorTexasFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MajorTexasFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MajorTexasFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MajorTexasFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MajorTexasFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MajorTexasFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MajorTexasFan's Avatar
    We didn't just drink NM's milkshake -- we ate their burger and fries, too.

asshat Dolemite Shaggy Gold Club Dolemite Shaggy Gold Club Dolemite Shaggy Gold Club Dolemite Shaggy Gold Club Dolemite Shaggy Gold Club Dolemite Shaggy Gold Club Dolemite Shaggy Gold Club Dolemite Shaggy Gold Club Dolemite Shaggy Gold Club Dolemite Shaggy Gold Club Dolemite Shaggy Gold Club
    Quote Originally Posted by The Banner Year View Post
    If you recently changed from a south carolinian to a north carolinian are you now less racist?
    Bigger basketball fans

bunghole Whitey slams and goes hard. Whitey slams and goes hard. Whitey slams and goes hard. Whitey slams and goes hard. Whitey slams and goes hard. Whitey slams and goes hard. Whitey slams and goes hard. Whitey slams and goes hard. Whitey slams and goes hard. Whitey slams and goes hard. Whitey slams and goes hard. Whitey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post
    Don't forget the Greer/Harmon County fiasco in 1896. Otherwise Darrell Royal would've been a native born Texan.

goddam Adams-Onis Treaty
    Please, tell us what it was like when you were there.

asshat RayDog can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. RayDog can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. RayDog can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. RayDog can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. RayDog can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. RayDog can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. RayDog can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. RayDog can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. RayDog can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. RayDog can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. RayDog can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night.
    Quote Originally Posted by Surly Bevo View Post
    Is there anything we could get rid of?
    The nuclear waste site operated by WCS is less than a mile fromthe current border.

asshat judge roybeanbag GORN judge roybeanbag GORN judge roybeanbag GORN judge roybeanbag GORN judge roybeanbag GORN judge roybeanbag GORN judge roybeanbag GORN judge roybeanbag GORN judge roybeanbag GORN judge roybeanbag GORN judge roybeanbag GORN judge roybeanbag's Avatar
    WTF is going on over there? Tarheels, Gamecocks and Sandlappers? Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by Tailleur17 View Post
    Like a boss.
    agreed. excuse me new mexico, we heard your claims and you are free to gtfo.

asshat Heel06 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Heel06 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Heel06 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Heel06 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Heel06 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Heel06 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Heel06 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Heel06 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Heel06 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Heel06 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Heel06 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Heel06's Avatar
    We're taking a hit, but this is a tremendous gesture of charity on behalf of the State of North Carolina to take in someone stuck in that godawful state. With the exception of the City-State of Charleston, the State of South Carolina doesn't have much going for it.

Quote Originally Posted by carrera View Post
    can you still get in state tuition at bob jones u?
    Where women's collarbones shall NOT be uncovered. The irony that BJU is an over the top socially conservative school is hilarious.

+ Reply to Thread