+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Thomas Kinkade dies at 54

Quote Originally Posted by Hellraiser97 View Post
    I can understand some of the hate if his business practices were unethical, but the hate for his art is pretty stupid.
    I think it's silly to invest much emotional energy in something that is aesthetically unpleasing, so "hating" his art is a bit much, but I agree that his work is pretty much the height of schlock.

asshat fawnknutsen Shaggy Gold Club fawnknutsen Shaggy Gold Club fawnknutsen Shaggy Gold Club fawnknutsen Shaggy Gold Club fawnknutsen Shaggy Gold Club fawnknutsen Shaggy Gold Club fawnknutsen Shaggy Gold Club fawnknutsen Shaggy Gold Club fawnknutsen Shaggy Gold Club fawnknutsen Shaggy Gold Club fawnknutsen Shaggy Gold Club fawnknutsen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by closetojumping View Post
    This is a bizarre response. I commented on the behavior of this board, where every time someone with success and heaven forbid a Christian lean, is brought up, whether dead or in the news, they wind up being clearly a derelict, their product sucked, and anyone who digs their stuff or generally doesn't hate them is a dip$#@!.
    You sure took a lot more from this thread than I did. I saw a lot of comments expressing that people were sorry he died but thought his "art" sucked.

asshat OnBoard might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? OnBoard might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? OnBoard might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? OnBoard might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? OnBoard might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? OnBoard might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? OnBoard might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? OnBoard might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? OnBoard might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? OnBoard might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? OnBoard might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? OnBoard's Avatar
    Where the high water mark of the 60's crashed ashore
    Who knew the shag had such art snobs? I liked his work, whether or not it was produced painstakingly by him or in a factory. I can understand some of the hate if his business practices were unethical, but the hate for his art is pretty stupid.
    What's stupid about not liking his work ? Cause you think it's OK ? Art is subjective. What one man likes the other thinks is trash. Exposure to art in all it's forms and genres makes one more discerning/mature in their taste usually. I'd say his art appeals to a certain type of person with limited exposure to what's out there, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

if you like his work and it brings you joy, carry on. He paints pretty, idealized images, but that's about all I get out of the experience of looking at one of his paintings.

asshat Bevoette Shaggy Gold Club Bevoette Shaggy Gold Club Bevoette Shaggy Gold Club Bevoette Shaggy Gold Club Bevoette Shaggy Gold Club Bevoette Shaggy Gold Club Bevoette Shaggy Gold Club Bevoette Shaggy Gold Club Bevoette Shaggy Gold Club Bevoette Shaggy Gold Club Bevoette Shaggy Gold Club Bevoette's Avatar
    I agree with the sentiment of this thread. What an $#@! for using his talents in a positive manner and making money because of it. $#@!s like this guy are destroying the fabric of American society.
    I know right? makes me almost feel guilty for enjoying some of it.

Duke of New York Hellraiser97 Shaggy Gold Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Gold Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Gold Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Gold Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Gold Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Gold Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Gold Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Gold Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Gold Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Gold Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Gold Club Hellraiser97's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OnBoard View Post
    What's stupid about not liking his work ?
    I didn't say it was stupid to not like his work. Everyone has their own taste. I said it was stupid to spew the kind of hate seen on this thread just because those posters don't like his work.

asshat OnBoard might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? OnBoard might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? OnBoard might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? OnBoard might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? OnBoard might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? OnBoard might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? OnBoard might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? OnBoard might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? OnBoard might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? OnBoard might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? OnBoard might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? OnBoard's Avatar
    I didn't say it was stupid to not like his work. Everyone has their own taste. I said it was stupid to spew the kind of hate seen on this thread just because those posters don't like his work.
    Gotcha.....

asshat tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FCHorn View Post
    Master of seeing the Light now..
    Solid B+ work here, although a bit sacharin.

asshat Pokoloco Shaggy Gold Club Pokoloco Shaggy Gold Club Pokoloco Shaggy Gold Club Pokoloco Shaggy Gold Club Pokoloco Shaggy Gold Club Pokoloco Shaggy Gold Club Pokoloco Shaggy Gold Club Pokoloco Shaggy Gold Club Pokoloco Shaggy Gold Club Pokoloco Shaggy Gold Club Pokoloco Shaggy Gold Club Pokoloco's Avatar
    My only problem is that my wife's grandma spent a lot of her money on his art because he was such a good Christian man. It made her happy I guess.

asshat MrPhlegm might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MrPhlegm might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MrPhlegm might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MrPhlegm might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MrPhlegm might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MrPhlegm might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MrPhlegm might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MrPhlegm might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MrPhlegm might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MrPhlegm might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MrPhlegm might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MrPhlegm's Avatar
    he sucked at black velvet paintings

asshat closetojumping grows his own roses closetojumping grows his own roses closetojumping grows his own roses closetojumping grows his own roses closetojumping grows his own roses closetojumping grows his own roses closetojumping grows his own roses closetojumping grows his own roses closetojumping grows his own roses closetojumping grows his own roses closetojumping grows his own roses
    Quote Originally Posted by fawnknutsen View Post
    You sure took a lot more from this thread than I did. I saw a lot of comments expressing that people were sorry he died but thought his "art" sucked.
    1) The man is a derelict - it is referenced by people prior to my first post on this thread that he was ripping off people in business dealings.

2) The product sucked - you admit that this was a theme so you're not even arguing this point.

3) People who dig his stuff is a dip$#@! - see the comments towards Bevoette prior to my first post, or the other generally stated comments about the dude besides that.

4) It happens all of the time on this board - witness any thread like this one.

So that is a summary of what I typed in the post you quoted, with basic facts from the thread itself in support. Either you have $#@! for reading comprehension, which I've seen your posts and don't believe to be true so that isn't it, or what you want to say is I am just being a whiny $#@! for calling out the behavior on the thread. That I agree with and I regret posting on it at this point. I don't know anything about the dude and was responding to the posts at first as just a dismissive $#@!. It's turned into silliness which could have been avoided if I would have just let shaggy do what shaggy wants to do. It happens.

asshat Bevoette Shaggy Gold Club Bevoette Shaggy Gold Club Bevoette Shaggy Gold Club Bevoette Shaggy Gold Club Bevoette Shaggy Gold Club Bevoette Shaggy Gold Club Bevoette Shaggy Gold Club Bevoette Shaggy Gold Club Bevoette Shaggy Gold Club Bevoette Shaggy Gold Club Bevoette Shaggy Gold Club Bevoette's Avatar
    and vicie versie .. people shouldn't be made to feel stupid either way

I draw dicks. No homo. THujone GORN THujone GORN THujone GORN THujone GORN THujone GORN THujone GORN THujone GORN THujone GORN THujone GORN THujone GORN THujone GORN THujone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
    Kinkade is to art what Mastadon is to music.
    I will kill you.

asshat fawnknutsen Shaggy Gold Club fawnknutsen Shaggy Gold Club fawnknutsen Shaggy Gold Club fawnknutsen Shaggy Gold Club fawnknutsen Shaggy Gold Club fawnknutsen Shaggy Gold Club fawnknutsen Shaggy Gold Club fawnknutsen Shaggy Gold Club fawnknutsen Shaggy Gold Club fawnknutsen Shaggy Gold Club fawnknutsen Shaggy Gold Club fawnknutsen's Avatar
    It's turned into silliness
    This I definitely agree with, but can't seem to stop myself from responding one more time. What I want to say isn't that you're being a "whiny $#@!" it's that you're seeing what you want to see/engaging in some hyperbole, and generalizing a couple of people's reactions to the behavior of the board as a whole.

If you re-read the responses prior to your first post, you'll see a whole lot of "RIP, but his art sucked/he wasn't an artist" type responses, some "RIP, I liked his work" responses, a couple of people discussing lawsuits against him for allegedly ripping off dealers, a couple of unnecessarily personal remarks toward Bevoette, and nothing at all denigrating his Christianity or tying it to the quality of his work.

I'd be the first to agree that there are threads in which mob behavior runs rampant, but this doesn't seem like one of them...which I guess is why I found your response odd enough to comment on.
    Last edited by fawnknutsen; 04-09-2012 at 01:00 PM. Reason: I love trying to be serious when you're going full THujone all around me.

I draw dicks. No homo. THujone GORN THujone GORN THujone GORN THujone GORN THujone GORN THujone GORN THujone GORN THujone GORN THujone GORN THujone GORN THujone GORN THujone's Avatar
    I don't know $#@! about the guy's art, but I know enough of the overplayed $#@! drawing obsession to find your commentary on this guy ironic.
    Haha lol.
    Last edited by THujone; 04-09-2012 at 01:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPhlegm View Post
    he sucked at black velvet paintings
    not if you were stoned and actually used a black light along with a strobe light

Who knew the shag had such art snobs? I liked his work, whether or not it was produced painstakingly by him or in a factory. I can understand some of the hate if his business practices were unethical, but the hate for his art is pretty stupid.
    Uh, no it isn't. His work looks like it was painted with a giant wad of cotton candy.

asshat Montag Shaggy Gold Club Montag Shaggy Gold Club Montag Shaggy Gold Club Montag Shaggy Gold Club Montag Shaggy Gold Club Montag Shaggy Gold Club Montag Shaggy Gold Club Montag Shaggy Gold Club Montag Shaggy Gold Club Montag Shaggy Gold Club Montag Shaggy Gold Club Montag's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bevoette View Post
    and vicie versie ..
    What the $#@! does this have to do with Caeser?

This I definitely agree with, but can't seem to stop myself from responding one more time. What I want to say isn't that you're being a "whiny $#@!" it's that you're seeing what you want to see/engaging in some hyperbole, and generalizing a couple of people's reactions to the behavior of the board as a whole.

If you re-read the responses prior to your first post, you'll see a whole lot of "RIP, but his art sucked/he wasn't an artist" type responses, some "RIP, I liked his work" responses, a couple of people discussing lawsuits against him for allegedly ripping off dealers, a couple of unnecessarily personal remarks toward Bevoette, and nothing at all denigrating his Christianity or tying it to the quality of his work.

I'd be the first to agree that there are threads in which mob behavior runs rampant, but this doesn't seem like one of them.
    This thing could have run off the tracks pretty early on if someone had lobbed the "holy hand grenade" of religion, yes pun intended. No one made his religion an issue for the most part. And his art is still formulaic and heavily contrived subject matter that doesn't challenge the viewer or move the needle of art into new territory, but rather creates an image that's a step away from a Disney movie scene about a dopey dog and his friend Herbie the hobbit.

This thing could have run off the tracks pretty early on if someone had lobbed the "holy hand grenade" of religion, yes pun intended. No one made his religion an issue for the most part. And his art is still formulaic and heavily contrived subject matter that doesn't challenge the viewer or move the needle of art into new territory, but rather creates an image that's a step away from a Disney movie scene about a dopey dog and his friend Herbie the hobbit.
    Hell dude, he sold a $#@!load of stuff that WAS Disney!!11111!!!!! TK's "art" was perfect for the Mall of America, but that's about it. Disgusting.

I mean, look at this $#@!ing $#@!:

Now I'm on a roll. Holy Living Jesus:

^^^^^^I need to find my 3D glasses !!

Oh god, please fork my eyes out!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by THujone View Post
    Hell dude, he sold a $#@!load of stuff that WAS Disney!!11111!!!!! TK's "art" was perfect for the Mall of America, but that's about it. Disgusting.

Probably stole his lightening from this

It's like my own personal Event Horizon movie, only instead of the dead returning from hell to reclaim my ship, I'm sent forever and eternity into the Thomas Kinkade gallery, where my hands are restrained from ripping my own eyeballs out.

asshat closetojumping grows his own roses closetojumping grows his own roses closetojumping grows his own roses closetojumping grows his own roses closetojumping grows his own roses closetojumping grows his own roses closetojumping grows his own roses closetojumping grows his own roses closetojumping grows his own roses closetojumping grows his own roses closetojumping grows his own roses

I'd be the first to agree that there are threads in which mob behavior runs rampant, but this doesn't seem like one of them...which I guess is why I found your response odd enough to comment on.
    I think I am done here but you're being a female and you need the last word. Fine by me. I was generalizing and using hyperbole, which is pretty much what I frequently do and what is generally the order of the day on Shaggy. If I read too much into the Christianity thing, oh well, it seems like it was mentioned but I haven't reread the thread. Shame on me for referencing it to begin with, I guess.

Really? A $#@!ing snowman?

See, it's people like TK that are (or were, as the case may be) destroying America.

I think I am done here but you're being a female and you need the last word. Fine by me. I was generalizing and using hyperbole, which is pretty much what I frequently do and what is generally the order of the day on Shaggy. If I read too much into the Christianity thing, oh well, it seems like it was mentioned but I haven't reread the thread. Shame on me for referencing it to begin with, I guess.
    Funny that you use "being" in the present tense like she morphed into one just to troll you on this thread. Lol. Doesn't change the fact that you LOVE THOMAS KINKADE and want to take a hot load from him. NTTAWWT. It's cool. It isn't gay if you take a hot load from a celeb. I wouldn't know personally, but it seems only right.

asshat Brisketexan GORN Brisketexan GORN Brisketexan GORN Brisketexan GORN Brisketexan GORN Brisketexan GORN Brisketexan GORN Brisketexan GORN Brisketexan GORN Brisketexan GORN Brisketexan GORN Brisketexan's Avatar
    I get what you're saying Thujone. That scene is contrived; it's clearly missing that something provocative and edgy that would make it REAL art.

Now, if the snowman was holding a bucket full of $#@!s . . . .

You didn't reference it, you made the assertion that people were bashing him for being a christian artist. I don't think that's just referencing.

asshat Brisketexan GORN Brisketexan GORN Brisketexan GORN Brisketexan GORN Brisketexan GORN Brisketexan GORN Brisketexan GORN Brisketexan GORN Brisketexan GORN Brisketexan GORN Brisketexan GORN Brisketexan's Avatar

Say what you want . . . but that is TOTALLY gonna end up airbrushed on my tailgate.

Quote Originally Posted by Brisketexan View Post
    Say what you want . . . but that is TOTALLY gonna end up airbrushed on my tailgate.
    Now THAT would be art.

Well, mob behavior isn't running rampant, but THujone is.

Now I'm on a roll. Holy Living Jesus:

oh my goodness~yikes!

now I like this one and was looking to buy it because Portland Headlight is amazing and seeing it in person was awesome

oh my goodness~yikes!

now I like this one and was looking to buy it because Portland Headlight is amazing and seeing it in person was awesome

Lord Honey, you have little cute kittie in a basket as your avatar. Of course you love his art. : )

here's one for rednecks! I still think 54 is young for natural causes. R.I.P

Lord Honey, you have little cute kittie in a basket as your avatar. Of course you love his art. : )
    not all of it. and that kitty is my daughter's he's my grand kitteh

Cowboys and Texans fan ! tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt's Avatar
    Oh god, please fork my eyes out!!!!!

but seriously, that little mermaid looks slutty ?

asshat NotActuallyALonghorn is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. NotActuallyALonghorn is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. NotActuallyALonghorn is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. NotActuallyALonghorn is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. NotActuallyALonghorn is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. NotActuallyALonghorn is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. NotActuallyALonghorn is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. NotActuallyALonghorn is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. NotActuallyALonghorn is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. NotActuallyALonghorn is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. NotActuallyALonghorn is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. NotActuallyALonghorn's Avatar
    No doubt that he was a good painter. No doubt that he painted pretty scenes. My problem with his art is that none of it evokes any sort of thought or emotion except for warm fuzzies. It is sort of mindless art for the masses. Even he knew that as he built his business model on producing art that would appeal to the masses in order to make a big buck. It's the same model that mainstream music uses. Make music that will appeal to the largest segment of population in order to make the most profit. They are letting the masses control their art. I prefer art that doesn't give the masses as much control over the final product as it tends to evoke more thought. The artists who do what they want to do and gain acclaim despite the bigshots telling them it won't work are the ones I prefer. Not that I can't appreciate the beauty in his paintings, I just prefer something more edgy. Now, the natural causes at such a young age business combined with stories of lawsuits against him make me wonder. Regardless, I wish the best for his soul and for those that he left behind.

my grand kitteh
    I rest my case : )

Cowboys and Texans fan ! tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt's Avatar
    I will kill you.

ive often wondered who would win a shaggybevo lawyer battle royale to the death

asshat G4 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. G4 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. G4 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. G4 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. G4 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. G4 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. G4 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. G4 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. G4 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. G4 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. G4 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. G4's Avatar
    a couple of unnecessarily personal remarks toward Bevoette
    i think the necessity of those comments is purely subjective.

bunch of $#@!s on this site

bunch of $#@!s on this site
    I think you took the high road. Kudos ma'am

Quote Originally Posted by tx 3 putt View Post
    ive often wondered who would win a shaggybevo lawyer battle royale to the death
    We talking pistols, hand to hand, or pontificating to death?

If I get a vote, I choose pontificating.

Gotta play to my strengths.

Quote Originally Posted by Brisketexan View Post
    If I get a vote, I choose pontificating.

Gotta play to my strengths.
    No blood, no asses in the seats,except for the NPR public forum set.

Oh, and perhaps we should dial back the criticism of Kinkade . . . it sounds like he may have been a Shaggy poster:

Did you know that Thomas Kinkade, the so-called Painter of Light, had a dark side? It's been reported that he loved to heckle and cuss out other artists and that he once groped a woman's breasts and pissed on a Winnie the Pooh statuette at the Disneyland Hotel in California while saying "This one is for you, Walt"? And there's this: "In 2006, John Dandois, Media Arts Group executive, recounted a story that on one occasion ("about six years ago") Kinkade became drunk at a Siegfried & Roy magic show in Las Vegas and began shouting "Codpiece! Codpiece!" at the performers. Eventually he was calmed by his mother. Dandois also said of Kinkade, "Thom would be fine, he would be drinking, and then all of a sudden, you couldn't tell where the boundary was, and then he became very incoherent, and he would start cursing and doing a lot of weird stuff like touching himself."

No blood, no asses in the seats,except for the NPR public forum set.
    Clearly, you've never seen me no-holds-barred pontificate.

There will be blood.

asshat hayden_horn GORN hayden_horn GORN hayden_horn GORN hayden_horn GORN hayden_horn GORN hayden_horn GORN hayden_horn GORN hayden_horn GORN hayden_horn GORN hayden_horn GORN hayden_horn GORN hayden_horn's Avatar
    This one's for you walt goes into the pantheon

And let me add that that stupid moniker is insulting to the greatest painter of light, JMW Turner Vermeer, who ate pieces of $#@! like Kinkade for breakfast.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
    Kinkade is to art what Mastadon is to music.
    I lulzed. Sorry, $#@!drawer.

+ Reply to Thread