+ Reply to Thread

Thread: University of Florida Eliminates Computer Science Department

asshat sessamoid grows his own roses sessamoid grows his own roses sessamoid grows his own roses sessamoid grows his own roses sessamoid grows his own roses sessamoid grows his own roses sessamoid grows his own roses sessamoid grows his own roses sessamoid grows his own roses sessamoid grows his own roses sessamoid grows his own roses sessamoid's Avatar

University of Florida Eliminates Computer Science Department

Wow, no one saw this coming. TheUniversity of Floridaannounced this past week that it was dropping its computer science department, which will allow it tosave about $1.7 million. The school is eliminating all funding for teaching assistants in computer science, cutting the graduate and research programs entirely, and moving the tattered remnants into other departments.
    University of Florida Eliminates Computer Science Department, Increases Athletic Budgets. Hmm.

asshat random horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? random horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? random horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? random horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? random horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? random horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? random horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? random horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? random horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? random horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? random horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? random horn's Avatar
    dumb

asshat slorch GORN slorch GORN slorch GORN slorch GORN slorch GORN slorch GORN slorch GORN slorch GORN slorch GORN slorch GORN slorch GORN slorch's Avatar
    Jocks 1, Geeks 0

Sec! Sec! Sec!
    Last edited by Aqua Buddha; 04-23-2012 at 08:00 AM.

Sooo........
    Wait - would you rather live in the ascendancy of a civilization or during its decline?

asshat BuckeyesSuck is a rep whore. BuckeyesSuck is a rep whore. BuckeyesSuck is a rep whore. BuckeyesSuck is a rep whore. BuckeyesSuck is a rep whore. BuckeyesSuck is a rep whore. BuckeyesSuck is a rep whore. BuckeyesSuck is a rep whore. BuckeyesSuck is a rep whore. BuckeyesSuck is a rep whore. BuckeyesSuck is a rep whore. BuckeyesSuck's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hitbyatrain View Post
    you sound like a $#@! and your $#@!'s all retarded regarded

Was UF good at Computer Science, because if they weren't what are they really losing by giving it up?

asshat Bookman is a rep whore. Bookman is a rep whore. Bookman is a rep whore. Bookman is a rep whore. Bookman is a rep whore. Bookman is a rep whore. Bookman is a rep whore. Bookman is a rep whore. Bookman is a rep whore. Bookman is a rep whore. Bookman is a rep whore.
    On Montague Street in a basement down the stairs.
    Quote Originally Posted by zensip View Post
    Sooo........
    Wait - would you rather live in the ascendancy of a civilization or during its decline?
    Maybe we should have robster craws.

Sooo........

Twenty years ago, CS was kind of a suspect degree. UT didn't have it and then only a BA. You couldn't get registered as a patent attorney with a lot of CS degrees.

Nowadays it's somewhatsurprising that CS would get chopped at a big state school that's supposed to be the agmech school. I suppose it can be subsumed into math and EE.

asshat TJ GORN TJ GORN TJ GORN TJ GORN TJ GORN TJ GORN TJ GORN TJ GORN TJ GORN TJ GORN TJ GORN TJ's Avatar
    Shouldn't surprise anyone. This is the state that, in the age of digital enlightenment, gave us the "hanging chad."

asshat OnBoard might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? OnBoard might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? OnBoard might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? OnBoard might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? OnBoard might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? OnBoard might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? OnBoard might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? OnBoard might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? OnBoard might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? OnBoard might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? OnBoard might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? OnBoard's Avatar
    Where the high water mark of the 60's crashed ashore
    Computers, so 20th c. good riddance I say.

Son applies to college in 2010. That spring we get a letter saying he was turned down for a full scholarship that academically he should have been all over. Wifey calls the dept. in question and gets a person who's on the selection committee to explain why he may not have gotten it.

The gentleman looks at his application says, "wow, should have gotten this no question." Then. "Oh I see why, he's indicated that he wants to major in Aerospace engineering. The federally subsidized scholarship funds for that program are being cut back, they're looking to ramp up the computer engineering/science programs. If he'd just written engineering, he'd probably have been awarded the scholarship." He goes on to explain that the reason for the shift is coming from the federal gov't and a couple of the military branches.
    Last edited by OnBoard; 04-23-2012 at 10:38 AM.

asshat CO_Gator can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. CO_Gator can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. CO_Gator can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. CO_Gator can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. CO_Gator can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. CO_Gator can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. CO_Gator can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. CO_Gator can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. CO_Gator can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. CO_Gator can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. CO_Gator can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night.
    It's bad, but not as bad as they're making out. There were like 4 CS degrees and only one of which was actually under the CS program. The other three were either under engineering or the business school. From what I've heard they're eliminating the school and pushing the degree to the engineering program. Could be wrong though, either way Machen needs to go.

Also, UF's athletics are funded by the alumni association, not the schools budget, and for the last 20 years or so they've actually contributed a couple million per year to the school's general fund.

This message brought to you by the Dept of Journalism at Texas A&M University.

asshat Texasbadass Shaggy Gold Club Texasbadass Shaggy Gold Club Texasbadass Shaggy Gold Club Texasbadass Shaggy Gold Club Texasbadass Shaggy Gold Club Texasbadass Shaggy Gold Club Texasbadass Shaggy Gold Club Texasbadass Shaggy Gold Club Texasbadass Shaggy Gold Club Texasbadass Shaggy Gold Club Texasbadass Shaggy Gold Club Texasbadass's Avatar
    title IX

asshat SPII has a gigantic e-peen. SPII has a gigantic e-peen. SPII has a gigantic e-peen. SPII has a gigantic e-peen. SPII has a gigantic e-peen. SPII has a gigantic e-peen. SPII has a gigantic e-peen. SPII has a gigantic e-peen. SPII has a gigantic e-peen. SPII has a gigantic e-peen. SPII has a gigantic e-peen. SPII's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    Shouldn't surprise anyone. This is the state that, in the age of digital enlightenment, gave us the "hanging chad."
    and the dimpled chad, the impregnated chad....

i still get infuriated by all that.

asshat TJ GORN TJ GORN TJ GORN TJ GORN TJ GORN TJ GORN TJ GORN TJ GORN TJ GORN TJ GORN TJ GORN TJ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smegma_Popsicle_II View Post
    and the dimpled chad, the impregnated chad....

i still get infuriated by all that.
    Hopefully it's also the state that gives us the "hanging George."

asshat TexasEd might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TexasEd might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TexasEd might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TexasEd might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TexasEd might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TexasEd might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TexasEd might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TexasEd might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TexasEd might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TexasEd might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TexasEd might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TexasEd's Avatar
    This message brought to you by the Dept of Journalism at Texas A&M University.
    And endorsed by their law school.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBoard View Post
    Computers, so 20th c. good riddance I say.

Son applies to college in 2010. That spring we get a letter saying he was turned down for a full scholarship that academically he should have been all over. Wifey calls the dept. in question and gets a person who's on the selection committee to explain why he may not have gotten it.

The gentleman looks at his application says, "wow, should have gotten this no question." Then. "Oh I see why, he's indicated that he wants to major in Aerospace engineering. The federally subsidized scholarship funds for that program are being cut back, they're looking to ramp up the computer engineering/science programs. If he'd just written engineering, he'd probably have been awarded the scholarship." He goes on to explain that the reason for the shift is coming from the federal gov't and a couple of the military branches.
    A future engineering student that had his mommy call asking why he didn't get a scholly?

asshat pmg Shaggy Gold Club pmg Shaggy Gold Club pmg Shaggy Gold Club pmg Shaggy Gold Club pmg Shaggy Gold Club pmg Shaggy Gold Club pmg Shaggy Gold Club pmg Shaggy Gold Club pmg Shaggy Gold Club pmg Shaggy Gold Club pmg Shaggy Gold Club pmg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TwiceHorn View Post
    Twenty years ago, CS was kind of a suspect degree. UT didn't have it and then only a BA. You couldn't get registered as a patent attorney with a lot of CS degrees.

Nowadays it's somewhatsurprising that CS would get chopped at a big state school that's supposed to be the agmech school. I suppose it can be subsumed into math and EE.
    This isn't true.
    UT has had a bachelor's in CS as least as far back as 1973, and grad level at least back to 1969.

Shag's Crazy Uncle Cookie MrPhlegm GORN MrPhlegm GORN MrPhlegm GORN MrPhlegm GORN MrPhlegm GORN MrPhlegm GORN MrPhlegm GORN MrPhlegm GORN MrPhlegm GORN MrPhlegm GORN MrPhlegm GORN MrPhlegm's Avatar
    what do aggy need wit computer, $#@! aggy got two hands and fo higher math thay can takes off thay shoes, uh flip flops (it is florida after all).

asshat OnBoard might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? OnBoard might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? OnBoard might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? OnBoard might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? OnBoard might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? OnBoard might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? OnBoard might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? OnBoard might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? OnBoard might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? OnBoard might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? OnBoard might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? OnBoard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Assman View Post
    A future engineering student that had his mommy call asking why he didn't get a scholly?

heh heh heh, Well $60K worth of scholly is a lot of money, and since mommy (and daddy) were gonna have to ante up that money I don't think it was out of line. She wasn't calling to complain, she was just curious about WHY his submission didn't make the cut. It was an armed forces ROTC scholarship and he'd already been selected for acceptance to the Air Force Academy, but was waited listed.

Cowboys and Texans fan ! tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt's Avatar
    computer science jobs can be outsourced all day and all night

you're not outsourcing nfl players

asshat TexonLongIsland Shaggy Gold Club TexonLongIsland Shaggy Gold Club TexonLongIsland Shaggy Gold Club TexonLongIsland Shaggy Gold Club TexonLongIsland Shaggy Gold Club TexonLongIsland Shaggy Gold Club TexonLongIsland Shaggy Gold Club TexonLongIsland Shaggy Gold Club TexonLongIsland Shaggy Gold Club TexonLongIsland Shaggy Gold Club TexonLongIsland Shaggy Gold Club TexonLongIsland's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tx 3 putt View Post
    computer science jobs can be outsourced all day and all night

you're not outsourcing nfl players
    you just wait

I'm guessing comp sci had a large percentage of out of state/international students. Maybe the FL taxpayers shouldn't be funding that degree program.

Quote Originally Posted by USC Troll View Post
    I'm guessing comp sci had a large percentage of out of state/international students. Maybe the FL taxpayers shouldn't be funding that degree program.
    Umm they're probably making pretty good coin with those out of state tuition rates.

Umm they're probably making pretty good coin with those out of state tuition rates.
    Possibly not enough to fund an entire department's worth of overhead. Or maybe they just wanted to blow up on fbook/twitter for a day. Who knows.

asshat pmg Shaggy Gold Club pmg Shaggy Gold Club pmg Shaggy Gold Club pmg Shaggy Gold Club pmg Shaggy Gold Club pmg Shaggy Gold Club pmg Shaggy Gold Club pmg Shaggy Gold Club pmg Shaggy Gold Club pmg Shaggy Gold Club pmg Shaggy Gold Club pmg's Avatar
    Apparently the original blog post was incorrect.

asshat stunns38 Shaggy Gold Club stunns38 Shaggy Gold Club stunns38 Shaggy Gold Club stunns38 Shaggy Gold Club stunns38 Shaggy Gold Club stunns38 Shaggy Gold Club stunns38 Shaggy Gold Club stunns38 Shaggy Gold Club stunns38 Shaggy Gold Club stunns38 Shaggy Gold Club stunns38 Shaggy Gold Club stunns38's Avatar
    All those students will transfer to THE Ohio State University after a 1 year probation.

asshat slorch GORN slorch GORN slorch GORN slorch GORN slorch GORN slorch GORN slorch GORN slorch GORN slorch GORN slorch GORN slorch GORN slorch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasEd View Post
    And endorsed by their law school.
    and medical school- non-varmit, of course...

he'd already been selected for acceptance to the Air Force Academy, but was waited listed.

that doesn't make sense. care to explain? either he received an appointment or was on the NWL, but not both...

i have a feeling they will have a hard time recruiting the top high school football talent now without a computer science department.

asshat Murfdogg21 Shaggy Gold Club Murfdogg21 Shaggy Gold Club Murfdogg21 Shaggy Gold Club Murfdogg21 Shaggy Gold Club Murfdogg21 Shaggy Gold Club Murfdogg21 Shaggy Gold Club Murfdogg21 Shaggy Gold Club Murfdogg21 Shaggy Gold Club Murfdogg21 Shaggy Gold Club Murfdogg21 Shaggy Gold Club Murfdogg21 Shaggy Gold Club Murfdogg21's Avatar
    281, MY WAY OF SHOWING LOVE TO THE FOLKS BACK HOME
    Quote Originally Posted by Texasbadass View Post
    title IX
    LOLZ

I bet Percy Harvin is happy to have his CS degree before it was eliminated.

asshat Beau Vine GORN Beau Vine GORN Beau Vine GORN Beau Vine GORN Beau Vine GORN Beau Vine GORN Beau Vine GORN Beau Vine GORN Beau Vine GORN Beau Vine GORN Beau Vine GORN Beau Vine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pmg View Post
    Apparently the original blog post was incorrect.
    An incorrect blog post? Unpossible!

asshat Prepuce of Doom Shaggy Gold Club Prepuce of Doom Shaggy Gold Club Prepuce of Doom Shaggy Gold Club Prepuce of Doom Shaggy Gold Club Prepuce of Doom Shaggy Gold Club Prepuce of Doom Shaggy Gold Club Prepuce of Doom Shaggy Gold Club Prepuce of Doom Shaggy Gold Club Prepuce of Doom Shaggy Gold Club Prepuce of Doom Shaggy Gold Club Prepuce of Doom Shaggy Gold Club Prepuce of Doom's Avatar
    This is the time for forward-looking research universities to invest scarce resources in computer science/computing—even at the expense of other engineering disciplines, if necessary—in order to ensure a vibrant, cohesive, and prominent computer science/computing presence and identity. This most certainly is not the time to scale back on computer science research and education.

--Zvi Galil, Dean of College of Computing at Georgia Tech, sends the president of University of Florida a letter addressing UF’s decision to eliminate its computer science department in order to save money.
    http://exp.lore.com/post/21668407121...oking-research

asshat Ag with kids is a rep whore. Ag with kids is a rep whore. Ag with kids is a rep whore. Ag with kids is a rep whore. Ag with kids is a rep whore. Ag with kids is a rep whore. Ag with kids is a rep whore. Ag with kids is a rep whore. Ag with kids is a rep whore. Ag with kids is a rep whore. Ag with kids is a rep whore. Ag with kids's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by slorch View Post
    and medical school- non-varmit, of course...
    We have a medical school...

FWIW, Where are they going to "absorb" the remaining parts of the programs?

+ Reply to Thread