+ Reply to Thread

Thread: REI Adventures - any feedback?

asshat tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone's Avatar

REI Adventures - any feedback?

Thinking about taking this beginning backpacking trip in Yosemite in August.

Anyone have any feedback on this? The reviews all look good.

http://www.rei.com/adventures/trips/...yose_wend.html

I'd be happy to let you borrow camping stuff if you need it, so you don't have to pay some granola eating cast member of Portlandia $#@! to walk you around. But that's just like, my opinion of pretty much all tours, man.

Read what you need online, get maps, and go. That's what I say.

Dark and Stormy washparkhorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. washparkhorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. washparkhorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. washparkhorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. washparkhorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. washparkhorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. washparkhorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. washparkhorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. washparkhorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. washparkhorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. washparkhorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. washparkhorn's Avatar
    The reviews do look good. Yosemite is a wonderful place. Having someone else doing all the planning for you and going as a group with a bunch of coeds (they are included, I think) would be fun and a lot less pressure.

I share PMcH's sense on what makes backpacking fun. But, if you haven't done it much or you don't know what to expect at a particular location, then I wouldn't hesitate to join in one of these tours. Drop me at Glacier and I would be completely out of my comfort zone and wishing for a cast member from Portlandia/REI.

The one thing I remember most about Yosemite was worrying about water. I don't know if that was just one bad trip (too many dead brain cells now) or just a design feature of an unbelievable piece of terrain.

Enjoy the trip. It is breathtaking the first time you see that valley.

asshat pmg Shaggy Gold Club pmg Shaggy Gold Club pmg Shaggy Gold Club pmg Shaggy Gold Club pmg Shaggy Gold Club pmg Shaggy Gold Club pmg Shaggy Gold Club pmg Shaggy Gold Club pmg Shaggy Gold Club pmg Shaggy Gold Club pmg Shaggy Gold Club pmg's Avatar
    I personally don't backpack in groups, but that said, especially if you don't have much/any experience, that looks like a good way to go. It'll be good to have some local experts so when the bears come around you don't freak out. I've done that "High Country" segment on my JMT hike and it is nice. I don't see water being much problem, but I'm used to Texas where you have to pack all of your water; the Sierra seemed downright flush with flowing water to me. (I never had a problem with water, all the way from Yosemite to Mt Whitney, save one dry stretch.)

asshat ghow is a rep whore. ghow is a rep whore. ghow is a rep whore. ghow is a rep whore. ghow is a rep whore. ghow is a rep whore. ghow is a rep whore. ghow is a rep whore. ghow is a rep whore. ghow is a rep whore. ghow is a rep whore. ghow's Avatar
    Do it. Ask questions, learn, then do the next ones on your own. You don't even have to spend 5 grand on gear to get a decent setup.

faux aggy hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew's Avatar
    Tbone, which hike are you thinking about doing?

If you have any qualms about trusting REI, I have a buddy who hiked the AT over the course of several years, before the age of the interwebs so he had to do tons of planning ahead of time (mailing packages ahead of time, arranging rides, etc). A lot of that was done through the AT groups and also REI resources. If I have any questions about any camping or hiking gear, he is my go to guy. He speaks very highly of everything that REI does.
    Last edited by hullabelew; 04-25-2012 at 10:03 AM.

Cognitive Infiltrator Fightin' Buck Shaggy Gold Club Fightin' Buck Shaggy Gold Club Fightin' Buck Shaggy Gold Club Fightin' Buck Shaggy Gold Club Fightin' Buck Shaggy Gold Club Fightin' Buck Shaggy Gold Club Fightin' Buck Shaggy Gold Club Fightin' Buck Shaggy Gold Club Fightin' Buck Shaggy Gold Club Fightin' Buck Shaggy Gold Club Fightin' Buck Shaggy Gold Club Fightin' Buck's Avatar
    Backpacking with a group seems to defeat the purpose imo. If you spend the time and do your homework, you probably won't need to go with the group, unless you just want to.

I've done quite a bit of long distance solo backpacking, feel free to ask any questions here, although I've never been to Yosemite.

asshat tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hullabelew View Post
    Tbone, which hike are you thinking about doing?

If you have any qualms about trusting REI, I have a buddy who hiked the AT over the course of several years, before the age of the interwebs so he had to do tons of planning ahead of time (mailing packages ahead of time, arranging rides, etc). A lot of that was done through the AT groups and also REI resources. If I have any questions about any camping or hiking gear, he is my go to guy. He speaks very highly of everything that REI does.
    Good to know. Thinking of the Yosemite high country hike.

Quote Originally Posted by ghow View Post
    Do it. Ask questions, learn, then do the next ones on your own. You don't even have to spend 5 grand on gear to get a decent setup.
    This is kind of my theory. I went on a week long trip with my dad but that was 30 years ago. No experience since then. None of my family or friends are into this kind of stuff which is actually fine with me.

Realistically how much should I budget for equipment for this kind of trip? I have nothing.

asshat TexasEd might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TexasEd might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TexasEd might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TexasEd might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TexasEd might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TexasEd might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TexasEd might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TexasEd might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TexasEd might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TexasEd might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TexasEd might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TexasEd's Avatar
    I've been buying quality/value gear for the last several years for my annual AT segment hikes in Virginia. You definitely want to keep weight down but you don't have to go overboard on cost to save weight. Sign up for REI rewards and you'll get two 20% off coupons a year and know the sales.

I bought almost all my gear on sale, with the coupon or on their overstock/close out site.

asshat TexasEd might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TexasEd might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TexasEd might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TexasEd might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TexasEd might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TexasEd might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TexasEd might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TexasEd might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TexasEd might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TexasEd might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TexasEd might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TexasEd's Avatar
    Here's roughly what I spent on sale.
    Boots 80-100
    Pack 120
    Warm weather Bag 50 at Academy
    Stuff sacks 20
    Water filter 100 or so
    Tent 130
    Stove 40 IIRC
    Sleeping pad 85
    Wool socks about 8 per pair x 3

For a 5 day hike my pack weighs about 35 pounds fully loaded including almost a gallon of water with no resupply except water.

Don't waste money on freeze dried food it gets old fast. MaybE ok every other day.
    Last edited by TexasEd; 04-25-2012 at 09:05 PM.

asshat ghow is a rep whore. ghow is a rep whore. ghow is a rep whore. ghow is a rep whore. ghow is a rep whore. ghow is a rep whore. ghow is a rep whore. ghow is a rep whore. ghow is a rep whore. ghow is a rep whore. ghow is a rep whore. ghow's Avatar
    ^^^^sounds about right. Keep tabs on REI outlet and sierra trading post to find deals.

asshat shigginz can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. shigginz can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. shigginz can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. shigginz can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. shigginz can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. shigginz can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. shigginz can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. shigginz can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. shigginz can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. shigginz can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. shigginz can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. shigginz's Avatar
    Kickin' in the front seat, Sittin' in the back seat
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasEd View Post
    Sleeping pad 85
    That seems expensive for a sleeping pad. /quibbles

Also might be worth getting a good sleeping bag rather than a pos from Academy. The equipment guides I've seen recommend you dish out the most money on the "big three", that being sleeping bag, tent, and backpack. Get quality on those, and pretty much everything else is cream cheese.

asshat pmg Shaggy Gold Club pmg Shaggy Gold Club pmg Shaggy Gold Club pmg Shaggy Gold Club pmg Shaggy Gold Club pmg Shaggy Gold Club pmg Shaggy Gold Club pmg Shaggy Gold Club pmg Shaggy Gold Club pmg Shaggy Gold Club pmg Shaggy Gold Club pmg's Avatar
    Dining opinions vary widely. I did freeze-dried (there's really no other way for long distance hikes) for 21 straight days, breakfast and dinner, with jerky and gorp for lunch, and liked it just fine. ANd I would say spend whatever it takes to get comfortable boots. And you don't have to have a tent, you can get by with a tarp probably. You'll probably want a fairly warm bag; it can easily be below freezing there.

I poo pood dropping cash on a sleeping pad, and then I bought a nicer one. Totally worth it.

I'm a side sleeper and my Big Agnes air insulated is the difference between tossing all night and sleeping. It was the third one I tried and the only one I can sleep on.

My $50 sleeping bag is rated at 30 degrees and is fairly light. For me the pad is much more important for sleep.

asshat updawg grows his own roses updawg grows his own roses updawg grows his own roses updawg grows his own roses updawg grows his own roses updawg grows his own roses updawg grows his own roses updawg grows his own roses updawg grows his own roses updawg grows his own roses updawg grows his own roses
    Steepandcheap.com is a good site to keep an eye on.

Quote Originally Posted by shigginz View Post
    That seems expensive for a sleeping pad. /quibbles

http://www.rei.com/product/763953/bi...d-air-core-pad

Worth every penny for a good night sleep. The regular self inflating pads were too thin and I could never get comfortable on my side.

I weighed my pack last night with the pad, sleeping bag, stove, pots, water filter and tent in it and that added up to about 15-16 pounds. If you want a list of what I found worked well send a PM or try whiteblaze.net which is an AT hiking site but has a lot of general hiking related info and gear information.
    Last edited by TexasEd; 04-26-2012 at 10:56 AM.

asshat tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman's Avatar
    Looks fun but is there an option where you can get bussed back to the lodge every evening for a hot tub/steak dinner and a bed?

Dark and Stormy washparkhorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. washparkhorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. washparkhorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. washparkhorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. washparkhorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. washparkhorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. washparkhorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. washparkhorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. washparkhorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. washparkhorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. washparkhorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. washparkhorn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasEd View Post
    I weighed my pack last night with the pad, sleeping bag, stove, pots, water filter and tent in it and that added up to about 15-16 pounds.
    Impressive - seriously. I did a lot of solo backcountry backpacking when I was younger because I appreciated the solitude like fightin' buck. I looked for trails where I wouldn't see another person for days, which isn't difficult in Colorado. My pack regularly weighed more than 40 lbs. (and I wasn't carrying Dinty Moore stew or bottles of scotch).

On the equipment front, REI rents equipment if you want to try rather than buy.

But get good boots, as mentioned above. And break them in.

Thanks, It isn't hard to get your pack weight down and it doesn't have to be very expensive (well too much more than gear is to begin with) if you start out looking for ways to keep it down. The best thing about that weight is that about 5.5 pounds of it are tent related and when I hike with my brothers I only carry half.

Yeah, REI renting is very affordable.

+ Reply to Thread