+ Reply to Thread

Thread: State of Network TV dramas

Banned Kid Quick Kid Quick Kid Quick Kid Quick Kid Quick Kid Quick Kid Quick Kid Quick Kid Quick Kid Quick Kid Quick

State of Network TV dramas

They almost all blow and the ones that have the potential to be good (Awake, Alcatraz, etc) are dying quick deaths because the ratings aren't there immediately. And why should they be? In the aftermath of the Lost series finale, why should people get their hopes up for a different kind of show if you believe it's going to let you down?

So what if JJ Abrams had said that he was doing Alcatraz and it was only going to have 48 episodes, 12 episodes a season for four seasons and that all the episodes would be shown in consecutive weeks (2-3 weeks between shows kills the non-CSI/L&O/NCIS type $#@!), would you have been more likely to stick with it or not?

By stating the number of episodes, he's not promising you a finale that you like, but he's giving you a definitive start and end date and then you can decide if you want to invest in the show whose story arc builds at its own pace. Didn't Fox show that this premise has a chance with "24" before they beat that $#@! into the ground?

Is it just written in stone that a network show has to have 22-24 episodes a season or can they allow for 1 or 2 shows in the manner I described above if only because they know not every show is going to make it?

Regardless, something must be done about network TV. All you have are reality TV shows, TV shows based off reality shows (Glee, Smash), Cop/Procedural shows and hospital shows. Very little character development, the sex is blah because either their is too much or too little of it, the suspense is manufactured and unrealistic and the shows have no real story arc beyond when the guy and girl character are going to $#@!. Now, I am the guy who started the "Grimm" topic, so it's obvious I don't need much to be entertained, but when I see a show like "Awake" about to die an unwarranted death, I get pissed because I know that NBC will replace it with another hour of reality tv or a L&O spinoff.

/csb

I thought the State of network TV dramas was California.

Banned Kid Quick Kid Quick Kid Quick Kid Quick Kid Quick Kid Quick Kid Quick Kid Quick Kid Quick Kid Quick Kid Quick
    Quote Originally Posted by jdsharp View Post
    I thought the State of network TV dramas was California.
    It's a damn shame when a show the greatness of Archer has to play on FX instead of Fox proper.

AMC, FX and the others like HBO are destroying the networks. How can you go from The Wire and Breaking Bad and Mad Men to anything NBC or CBS shows? I sure can't.

asshat TJ GORN TJ GORN TJ GORN TJ GORN TJ GORN TJ GORN TJ GORN TJ GORN TJ GORN TJ GORN TJ GORN TJ's Avatar
    It's funny because the networks own some of the cable channels that air superior programming.

The networks are trying to get something that appeals to everyone, and end up with stuff that nobody cares about.

asshat drew8117 Shaggy Gold Club drew8117 Shaggy Gold Club drew8117 Shaggy Gold Club drew8117 Shaggy Gold Club drew8117 Shaggy Gold Club drew8117 Shaggy Gold Club drew8117 Shaggy Gold Club drew8117 Shaggy Gold Club drew8117 Shaggy Gold Club drew8117 Shaggy Gold Club drew8117 Shaggy Gold Club
    Yeah, maybe the networks need to focus on certain groups.

I mean CBS is still going strong with their shows, but most are upper adult themed and oreinted.

asshat thewacokid can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. thewacokid can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. thewacokid can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. thewacokid can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. thewacokid can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. thewacokid can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. thewacokid can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. thewacokid can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. thewacokid can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. thewacokid can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. thewacokid can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. thewacokid's Avatar
    Outside of Lost (which I didn't watch while it aired and I'm not as keen on as some), I can't think of a recent network drama that would be considered "quality television."

Maybe early 24? I also thought The OC had moments of inspiration, but I doubt that's a popular view on the shag.

I don't think many intelligent tv viewers in my demo grew up with or expect great network dramas. Networks should focus on comedies, they still do them well.

asshat OrangePower Shaggy Gold Club OrangePower Shaggy Gold Club OrangePower Shaggy Gold Club OrangePower Shaggy Gold Club OrangePower Shaggy Gold Club OrangePower Shaggy Gold Club OrangePower Shaggy Gold Club OrangePower Shaggy Gold Club OrangePower Shaggy Gold Club OrangePower Shaggy Gold Club OrangePower Shaggy Gold Club OrangePower's Avatar
    Major networks are no longer a viable option for anything other than sitcoms and reality shows. I try not to get hooked on shows like Alcatraz that have a continuous story arc. Not that I don't have the attention span for it, I just know its going to get cancelled before I get a satisfactory resolution. The Nine and The Sarah Connor Chronicles ended all hopes for me. I started watching Awake, realized it was far too good for network TV, and stopped watching to avoid the inevitable disappointment once it was cancelled. I think the only drama I watch on a major network now is Person of Interest. It's basically a darker version of Human Target if you haven't seen it. It's a fun hour but once it's cancelled, there won't be too many loose ends.

I love that you brought this topic up. I've been railing on this topic for 2 years. Why is it that the "mid major" nets can allow something to build an audience and the majors pull the ripcord after about 8 episodes? I know the answer, but I wonder if the day will come when the roles are reversed and so few people are watching the majors that they'll be the ones with nothing to lose and can allow their shows time to build an audience. Probably not, but as long as AMC, TNT, HBO, etc. are knocking it out of the park, who gives a $#@!. Let the majors run reality shows and CSI:Tuscaloosa. Just be glad we have an alternative. My solution is to not watch any dramas that looks remotely awesome on a major network. If they make it, I'll catch up on Netflix. If they don't make it, I'm glad I never got hooked.

asshat thewacokid can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. thewacokid can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. thewacokid can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. thewacokid can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. thewacokid can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. thewacokid can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. thewacokid can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. thewacokid can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. thewacokid can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. thewacokid can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. thewacokid can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. thewacokid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangePower View Post
    Major networks are no longer a viable option for anything other than sitcoms and reality shows. I try not to get hooked on shows like Alcatraz that have a continuous story arc. Not that I don't have the attention span for it, I just know its going to get cancelled before I get a satisfactory resolution. The Nine and The Sarah Connor Chronicles ended all hopes for me. I started watching Awake, realized it was far too good for network TV, and stopped watching to avoid the inevitable disappointment once it was cancelled. I think the only drama I watch on a major network now is Person of Interest. It's basically a darker version of Human Target if you haven't seen it. It's a fun hour but once it's cancelled, there won't be too many loose ends.

I love that you brought this topic up. I've been railing on this topic for 2 years. Why is it that the "mid major" nets can allow something to build an audience and the majors pull the ripcord after about 8 episodes? I know the answer, but I wonder if the day will come when the roles are reversed and so few people are watching the majors that they'll be the ones with nothing to lose and can allow their shows time to build an audience. Probably not, but as long as AMC, TNT, HBO, etc. are knocking it out of the park, who gives a $#@!. Let the majors run reality shows and CSI:Tuscaloosa. Just be glad we have an alternative. My solution is to not watch any dramas that looks remotely awesome on a major network. If they make it, I'll catch up on Netflix. If they don't make it, I'm glad I never got hooked.
    Nothing to add, but CSI: Tuscaloosa would be appointment viewing

asshat OrangePower Shaggy Gold Club OrangePower Shaggy Gold Club OrangePower Shaggy Gold Club OrangePower Shaggy Gold Club OrangePower Shaggy Gold Club OrangePower Shaggy Gold Club OrangePower Shaggy Gold Club OrangePower Shaggy Gold Club OrangePower Shaggy Gold Club OrangePower Shaggy Gold Club OrangePower Shaggy Gold Club OrangePower's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thewacokid View Post
    Nothing to add, but CSI: Tuscaloosa would be appointment viewing
    I was thinking about casting CSI: Tuscaloosa and everybody I thought of is already starring in Justified.

David Caruso lead dude - duh Raylon
    Hot chick 2nd in charge- Winona
    Less attractive non lab cop - Art
    Attractive male subordinate - Tim
    Recurring bad guy - Boyd
    Hot lab chick - Ava
    Black ME- Rachel

Gotta find a role for Limehouse & Wynn Duffy. The rest will be guest star criminals (looking at you Quarles!!). $#@!, I would watch the $#@! out of that show. Help me cast this bitch!

Quote Originally Posted by OrangePower View Post
    I was thinking about casting CSI: Tuscaloosa and everybody I thought of is already starring in Justified.

David Caruso lead dude - duh Raylon
    Hot chick 2nd in charge- Winona
    Less attractive non lab cop - Art
    Attractive male subordinate - Tim
    Recurring bad guy - Boyd
    Hot lab chick - Ava
    Black ME- Rachel

Gotta find a role for Limehouse & Wynn Duffy. The rest will be guest star criminals (looking at you Quarles!!). $#@!, I would watch the $#@! out of that show. Help me cast this bitch!
    Stephen Root (Judge Rearden) would be a good addition.

Maybe we could resurrect Josh Holloway's career?

Burnt Orange Weenie BigOrange might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BigOrange might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BigOrange might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BigOrange might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BigOrange might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BigOrange might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BigOrange might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BigOrange might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BigOrange might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BigOrange might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BigOrange might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BigOrange's Avatar
    josh holloway really needs to be cast on either justified or sons of anarchy. he'd be perfect for either.

asshat drew8117 Shaggy Gold Club drew8117 Shaggy Gold Club drew8117 Shaggy Gold Club drew8117 Shaggy Gold Club drew8117 Shaggy Gold Club drew8117 Shaggy Gold Club drew8117 Shaggy Gold Club drew8117 Shaggy Gold Club drew8117 Shaggy Gold Club drew8117 Shaggy Gold Club drew8117 Shaggy Gold Club
    Quote Originally Posted by BigOrange View Post
    josh holloway really needs to be cast on either justified or sons of anarchy. he'd be perfect for either.
    Love this idea.

• + Reply to Thread