+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Most Overrated Rock Band in History

Vampire Weekend
    The Strokes
    Arcade Fire

Quote Originally Posted by CheeseWeasel View Post
    Sorry, they lost credibility having Radiohead at #2 and Arcade Fire at #9.
    There's no credibility to lose. It's not the site's opinion, it's a compiled meta-analysis of many other opinions, including the RS 500 list. Which makes it quasi-scientific, not to mention that we're talking about opinions in the first place ("most overrated, remember?) so if anything it should increase "credibility" here.

Edit: but for the sake of defining "credibility" as a list that mirrors your personal opinion more closely, the site also gives you the option to modify the rankings by picking and choosing a wide variety of best-of lists.
    Last edited by noahconstrictor; 11-20-2013 at 11:27 AM.

asshat bozo_casanova Shaggy Gold Club bozo_casanova Shaggy Gold Club bozo_casanova Shaggy Gold Club bozo_casanova Shaggy Gold Club bozo_casanova Shaggy Gold Club bozo_casanova Shaggy Gold Club bozo_casanova Shaggy Gold Club bozo_casanova Shaggy Gold Club bozo_casanova Shaggy Gold Club bozo_casanova Shaggy Gold Club bozo_casanova Shaggy Gold Club bozo_casanova's Avatar
    Back up in your ass with the resurrection
    A punk band being overrated just makes it more punk.

Quote Originally Posted by Cascader View Post
    Same goes? As in, "Who else sounded like the Ramones before they came out?" Is that a serious $#@!ing question?

The answer, my friend, is literally hundreds of "garage rock" bands from the mid-1960s and on (most famous being the Kingsmen), mid-'60s Kinks, the Sonics, the Stooges, MC5, the New York Dolls, and most directly influencing them, Television.
    Well, let's be clear -- Television did not "most directly influenc[e]" the Ramones. If they were influenced by anyone in Television, it was Richard Hell, who was far more punk than arty.

And, no, I'm not a huge Ramones fan. But I have to acknowledge their influence on a bunch of other top bands and punk rock in general.
    Last edited by Carl Spackler; 11-20-2013 at 11:40 AM.

asshat MajorTexasFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MajorTexasFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MajorTexasFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MajorTexasFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MajorTexasFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MajorTexasFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MajorTexasFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MajorTexasFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MajorTexasFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MajorTexasFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MajorTexasFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MajorTexasFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 88wildcat View Post
    That credit should go to Dylan who told them the first time he met them that they needed to learn to write songs that say something instead of all that Love Me Do and I Wanna Hold Your Hand crap. Everything before Revolver was unlistenable unless you were a 13 year old girl. And don't expect me to give them points for influencing wankers like Oasis and the Monkees.
    You're right about the lyrics, but wrong about the music. Because the songs are now so familiar, and many of us were born well after the Beatles changed everything, it's easy to miss or forget how revolutionary the music was from the start. Bob Dylan himself said "'I Wanna Hold Your Hand,' all those early ones -- they were doing things nobody was doing. Their chords were outrageous, just outrageous, and their harmonies made it all valid. I knew they were pointing the direction of where music had to go."

The Beatles essentially took the established pop song form and smashed it open with chord progressions and harmonies that broke a bunch of supposed rules. In fact, to this day, there is debate about exactly which chords the Beatles used on some early songs,because they were unusual and often formed by a combination of different instruments and voices, and people have written analyses of why certain things they did sounded so good despite upsetting traditional rules of songwriting. There's a song by song analysis on the Web (I think the guy's name is Alan Pollack) that details the nuts and bolts of how essentially every Beatles song broke new ground. And all the great music that came afterwards developed that ground, which can obscure how different the Beatles were even from the start.

Reppin' errrybody in here CheeseWeasel Shaggy Gold Club CheeseWeasel Shaggy Gold Club CheeseWeasel Shaggy Gold Club CheeseWeasel Shaggy Gold Club CheeseWeasel Shaggy Gold Club CheeseWeasel Shaggy Gold Club CheeseWeasel Shaggy Gold Club CheeseWeasel Shaggy Gold Club CheeseWeasel Shaggy Gold Club CheeseWeasel Shaggy Gold Club CheeseWeasel Shaggy Gold Club CheeseWeasel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by noahconstrictor View Post
    There's no credibility to lose. It's not the site's opinion, it's a compiled meta-analysis of many other opinions, including the RS 500 list. .
    Then their meta-analysis is incredible.

I equate this to BCS ratings that pull a bunch of computer polls, human polls ,etc together and still come up with crappy rankings.

asshat MajorTexasFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MajorTexasFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MajorTexasFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MajorTexasFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MajorTexasFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MajorTexasFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MajorTexasFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MajorTexasFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MajorTexasFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MajorTexasFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MajorTexasFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MajorTexasFan's Avatar
    I don't know why I feel compelled to respond to this instead of some of the other absurd suggestions on this thread, but I wanted to make a point. First, Smith lands once on the RS list, which isn't a ranking of artists overall, for a genuinely excellent album that doesn't even have Because the Night on it.
    I'm referring to the Rolling Stone list of the "100 Greatest Artists of All Time." Patti Smith is ranked the #46 greatest artist of all time:
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/li...smith-20110420

You were saying about absurd suggestions?
    Two, covering songs is ubiquitous. Springsteen is actually an interesting example, since a large part of the appeal of his live shows is the massive variety of songs he has covered.
    I have nothing against cover songs, although I give the covering artist more credit for completely different arrangements than simply performing a similar version. But I wouldn't put an artist in the Top 50 of all time for one good album and a great cover. You may love Patti Smith, but come on. She doesn't even belong in the top 100.
    Last edited by MajorTexasFan; 11-20-2013 at 11:46 AM.

I'd also like to submit Animal Collective. Pitchfork has such a hardon for these guys that I almost question if the editor isn't their road manager or something. Their music is so repetitive it'd make Philip Glass nauseous, and so weird for the sake of weird that Zappa fans would find it obnoxious.

asshat the immortal Elvis Presto grows his own roses the immortal Elvis Presto grows his own roses the immortal Elvis Presto grows his own roses the immortal Elvis Presto grows his own roses the immortal Elvis Presto grows his own roses the immortal Elvis Presto grows his own roses the immortal Elvis Presto grows his own roses the immortal Elvis Presto grows his own roses the immortal Elvis Presto grows his own roses the immortal Elvis Presto grows his own roses the immortal Elvis Presto grows his own roses the immortal Elvis Presto's Avatar
    U2 is the correct answer. Eagles are #2.

asshat YoLaDu Shaggy Gold Club YoLaDu Shaggy Gold Club YoLaDu Shaggy Gold Club YoLaDu Shaggy Gold Club YoLaDu Shaggy Gold Club YoLaDu Shaggy Gold Club YoLaDu Shaggy Gold Club YoLaDu Shaggy Gold Club YoLaDu Shaggy Gold Club YoLaDu Shaggy Gold Club YoLaDu Shaggy Gold Club YoLaDu's Avatar
    guitar starts spinning, rock and roll starts winning
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Spackler View Post
    Well, let's be clear -- Television did not "most directly influenc[e]" the Ramones. If they were influenced by anyone in Television, it was Richard Hell, who was far more punk than arty.

And, no, I'm not a huge Ramones fan. But I have to acknowledge their influence on a bunch of other top bands and punk rock in general.
    yeah, I was trying to understand his quote. The Ramones were influenced by Television? Maybe early early Television, when Richard Hell was in the band. But by 1975 Hell was gone leaving Verlaine, Lloyd, and Smith who were anything but Ramonesque.

I always figured the Ramones were influenced by the Beach Boys and the Ronettes.

asshat YoLaDu Shaggy Gold Club YoLaDu Shaggy Gold Club YoLaDu Shaggy Gold Club YoLaDu Shaggy Gold Club YoLaDu Shaggy Gold Club YoLaDu Shaggy Gold Club YoLaDu Shaggy Gold Club YoLaDu Shaggy Gold Club YoLaDu Shaggy Gold Club YoLaDu Shaggy Gold Club YoLaDu Shaggy Gold Club YoLaDu's Avatar
    guitar starts spinning, rock and roll starts winning
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbes2702 View Post
    U2. Eagles. Sex Pistols

Quote Originally Posted by CheeseWeasel View Post
    Then their meta-analysis is incredible.

I equate this to BCS ratings that pull a bunch of computer polls, human polls ,etc together and still come up with crappy rankings.
    It's a fair comparison. I'm not trying to argue the merits of the BCS or this particular website as an accurate or even reasonable ranking, though. The point is to gauge an opinion (how is X band rated?), which both do a better (or at least more equitable or valid) job of than a single poll, and then measure that against my own opinion. I don't disagree that Radiohead at 2 or Arcade Fire at 9 are overrated. Isn't that the point of this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorTexasFan View Post
    I have nothing against cover songs, although I give the covering artist more credit for completely different arrangements than simply performing a similar version. But I wouldn't put an artist in the Top 50 of all time for one good album and a great cover. You may love Patti Smith, but come on. She doesn't even belong in the top 100.
    No, I agree with this. Especially now that I see the artists list and who is below her or omitted (Pink Floyd?).

asshat Scraps Shaggy Gold Club Scraps Shaggy Gold Club Scraps Shaggy Gold Club Scraps Shaggy Gold Club Scraps Shaggy Gold Club Scraps Shaggy Gold Club Scraps Shaggy Gold Club Scraps Shaggy Gold Club Scraps Shaggy Gold Club Scraps Shaggy Gold Club Scraps Shaggy Gold Club Scraps's Avatar
    $#@!ing U2

Quote Originally Posted by YoLaDu View Post
    yeah, I was trying to understand his quote. The Ramones were influenced by Television? Maybe early early Television, when Richard Hell was in the band. But by 1975 Hell was gone leaving Verlaine, Lloyd, and Smith who were anything but Ramonesque.

I always figured the Ramones were influenced by the Beach Boys and the Ronettes.
    I'm sure I've read somewhere that the Bay City Rollers' chanty Saturday Night influenced Blitzkrieg Bop.

U2 easily

asshat Vic Mackey might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Vic Mackey might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Vic Mackey might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Vic Mackey might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Vic Mackey might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Vic Mackey might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Vic Mackey might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Vic Mackey might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Vic Mackey might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Vic Mackey might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Vic Mackey might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Vic Mackey's Avatar
    I could never get into U2, either.

Quote Originally Posted by YoLaDu View Post

I agree. I think the Ramones probably were influenced to an extent by Television, but I think it would have been the early incarnation -- when Hell was in the band.

asshat Longhorns 4 Life slams and goes hard. Longhorns 4 Life slams and goes hard. Longhorns 4 Life slams and goes hard. Longhorns 4 Life slams and goes hard. Longhorns 4 Life slams and goes hard. Longhorns 4 Life slams and goes hard. Longhorns 4 Life slams and goes hard. Longhorns 4 Life slams and goes hard. Longhorns 4 Life slams and goes hard. Longhorns 4 Life slams and goes hard. Longhorns 4 Life slams and goes hard. Longhorns 4 Life's Avatar
    The unpopular opinion thread is either in the Nasty's or Bada Bing section. The correct answer is Nirvana followed by the Sex Pistols followed by the Beatles followed by Radiohead.
    I would tell you to go $#@! yourself, but your entitled to your opinion so we'll have to agree to disagee. Nirvana, IMO, is the greatest band there ever was. There isn't one song on any album they ever released that i dont love. In fact i've yet to hear an unreleased track that i dont love.

I realize Cobain wasn't the most talented guitar player but even with his limitations he was able to produce some of the greatest guitar sounds this earth has ever heard. Plus he had a great voice, especially for the style of music he played. Man he died way to young.

asshat Longhorns 4 Life slams and goes hard. Longhorns 4 Life slams and goes hard. Longhorns 4 Life slams and goes hard. Longhorns 4 Life slams and goes hard. Longhorns 4 Life slams and goes hard. Longhorns 4 Life slams and goes hard. Longhorns 4 Life slams and goes hard. Longhorns 4 Life slams and goes hard. Longhorns 4 Life slams and goes hard. Longhorns 4 Life slams and goes hard. Longhorns 4 Life slams and goes hard. Longhorns 4 Life's Avatar
    The unpopular opinion thread is either in the Nasty's or Bada Bing section. The correct answer is Nirvana followed by the Sex Pistols followed by the Beatles followed by Radiohead.
    I do agree with you on radiohead however. I never thought people held them to real high regards in being one of the greatest bands but besides for creep i thought the rest of their music was just "meh"

asshat Dutchrudder grows his own roses Dutchrudder grows his own roses Dutchrudder grows his own roses Dutchrudder grows his own roses Dutchrudder grows his own roses Dutchrudder grows his own roses Dutchrudder grows his own roses Dutchrudder grows his own roses Dutchrudder grows his own roses Dutchrudder grows his own roses Dutchrudder grows his own roses Dutchrudder's Avatar
    Bruce Springsteen. He was before my time, but I don't understand why old people think he's a legend. He had like 2 good songs.

I'd also agree with U2.

Quote Originally Posted by LakewayHorn View Post
    Bon Jovi (if they are even rated), The Doors, Dave Matthews Band, Grateful Dead, Bob Dylan.
    Come on man, Bob Dylan is one of the greats of all time. Always will be. Thats just a fact

asshat OnBoard Shaggy Gold Club OnBoard Shaggy Gold Club OnBoard Shaggy Gold Club OnBoard Shaggy Gold Club OnBoard Shaggy Gold Club OnBoard Shaggy Gold Club OnBoard Shaggy Gold Club OnBoard Shaggy Gold Club OnBoard Shaggy Gold Club OnBoard Shaggy Gold Club OnBoard Shaggy Gold Club OnBoard's Avatar
    Where the high water mark of the 60's crashed ashore
    You're right about the lyrics, but wrong about the music. Because the songs are now so familiar, and many of us were born well after the Beatles changed everything, it's easy to miss or forget how revolutionary the music was from the start. Bob Dylan himself said "'I Wanna Hold Your Hand,' all those early ones -- they were doing things nobody was doing. Their chords were outrageous, just outrageous, and their harmonies made it all valid. I knew they were pointing the direction of where music had to go."

The Beatles essentially took the established pop song form and smashed it open with chord progressions and harmonies that broke a bunch of supposed rules. In fact, to this day, there is debate about exactly which chords the Beatles used on some early songs,because they were unusual and often formed by a combination of different instruments and voices, and people have written analyses of why certain things they did sounded so good despite upsetting traditional rules of songwriting. There's a song by song analysis on the Web (I think the guy's name is Alan Pollack) that details the nuts and bolts of how essentially every Beatles song broke new ground. And all the great music that came afterwards developed that ground, which can obscure how different the Beatles were even from the start.
    This precisely. Context in time is very important in this discussion. McCartney and Lennon were musical masters. Their lyrics seem pretty teme today but not then and no one was doing what they were.

even though this is a thread about the most overrated musicians i'm gona add townes van zandt as the most underrated singer/songwriter of all time. A lot of that was his own doing because he wanted no part of fame and the corrupt music industry but he was truly one of the greats of all time

Based on the Rolling Stone list, the answer is Patti Smith and it's not even close. Top 50 of all time? Please. She had one great song and it was a Springsteen song.
    Patti Smith is indeed a terrific answer. The only suggestion anyone has offered that could compete with the Ramones. Well done. But I don't see Patti Smith on critics' all-time top 10 lists.

Quote Originally Posted by Topper13 View Post
    Man, you're high as a $#@!. The first Clash record WAS a Ramones record. The $#@! outta here with that chip on your shoulder bull$#@!.
    This is sheer ignorance. They did do the fast-2-chords thing, but listen to a song long enough, and a 3rd chord rears its head... and a 4th and a 5th. Their songs were political/class/race based, so actually about something, and there were reggae and classic rock influences in there that pushed that first record immediately beyond the punk scene they were a part of. Moreover, every member of the Clash was connected to and influenced by the Sex Pistols before the band ever formed. They played with the Sex Pistols when they did form, and all of this before they ever even saw the Ramones.

Quote Originally Posted by Stu View Post
    So, you don't like the Ramones I take it?
    I like 'em fine. I also like the Sonics and Stooges. But I wouldn't put any of those bands amongst the greatest of all time. That's the point here. But at least the Sonics and Stooges were doing it much earlier than the Ramones were. They've got that going for them.

"Blitzkrieg Bop"-- fun song. Nice they added it to the world. Also love the Troggs' cover of "Wild Thing" and Dramarama's "Anything Anything," but I wouldn't put them among the greatest bands of all time either.

Recently I obtained a pretty decent collection of vinyl LP records which has really raised my interest in collecting lately. So I've perused that Rolling Stone list among others to spark an idea of what I have, and what I might like to add or could garner some trade interest in.

This site Best Ever Albums compiles a meta-analysis of such Top X lists from various publications including their Best of Decade lists along with user reviews so it skews a little more modern than most all-time lists.

Without a doubt Coldplay (the link takes you to their ranking page) is the most overrated rock band in history. #28 all time on their list of bands, with the #61, 117, 155, and 290 albums. The Ramones, by comparison, comes in at #112 with their self-titled album ranked #137. You can play down the Ramones influence, but at the very least we got thousands of 90s teen sex comedy soundtracks out of it. Coldplay hasn't influenced $#@! unless you count the Fray or One Republic as rock bands.

Red Hot Chili Peppers (34 overall, with albums ranked 88, 107, 238, and 407) is also an acceptable answer.
    Yeah, I don't know what's going on with that site, but Coldplay is not respected, and I never see them on any respectable lists of greatest bands. They would be a good answer if they were "rated," but they are in fact famously disrespected by critics and anyone with taste. Busting on Coldplay has long been a favorite party conversation.

asshat OnBoard Shaggy Gold Club OnBoard Shaggy Gold Club OnBoard Shaggy Gold Club OnBoard Shaggy Gold Club OnBoard Shaggy Gold Club OnBoard Shaggy Gold Club OnBoard Shaggy Gold Club OnBoard Shaggy Gold Club OnBoard Shaggy Gold Club OnBoard Shaggy Gold Club OnBoard Shaggy Gold Club OnBoard's Avatar
    This is sheer ignorance. They did do the fast-2-chords thing, but listen to a song long enough, and a 3rd chord rears its head... and a 4th and a 5th. Their songs were political/class/race based, so actually about something, and there were reggae and classic rock influences in there that pushed that first record immediately beyond the punk scene they were a part of. Moreover, every member of the Clash was connected to and influenced by the Sex Pistols before the band ever formed. They played with the Sex Pistols when they did form, and all of this before they ever even saw the Ramones.
    Clash = English revolution, ska, reggae, punk influences from the English underground

Ramones = bad American garage punk in chuck talyors with friggin Beatles page boy hair cuts.

asshat In10se grows his own roses In10se grows his own roses In10se grows his own roses In10se grows his own roses In10se grows his own roses In10se grows his own roses In10se grows his own roses In10se grows his own roses In10se grows his own roses In10se grows his own roses In10se grows his own roses
    I don't like the music you like and since it's a personal taste and is not subject to measurements of quality I will just say it's "overrated".

Music/movies, food, beer/liquor/wine. Sometimes I like to just sit back and enjoy the stupidity of people arguing about that which cannot be measured.

asshat Superhero is a rep whore. Superhero is a rep whore. Superhero is a rep whore. Superhero is a rep whore. Superhero is a rep whore. Superhero is a rep whore. Superhero is a rep whore. Superhero is a rep whore. Superhero is a rep whore. Superhero is a rep whore. Superhero is a rep whore. Superhero's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DexterMorgan View Post
    Pink Floyd
    I want to fight you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tap Dancing KungFu Master View Post
    This. I don't care how innovative they were. Their music sucks.
    U2.

As for U2 the band. Like a few of their songs, but think The Edge (zomg, what an edgy name) sucks as a guitar player.

asshat BurntEyes Shaggy Gold Club BurntEyes Shaggy Gold Club BurntEyes Shaggy Gold Club BurntEyes Shaggy Gold Club BurntEyes Shaggy Gold Club BurntEyes Shaggy Gold Club BurntEyes Shaggy Gold Club BurntEyes Shaggy Gold Club BurntEyes Shaggy Gold Club BurntEyes Shaggy Gold Club BurntEyes Shaggy Gold Club
    Quote Originally Posted by OnBoard View Post
    What is this a reference to the size of yer brain ?

You may not care for these bands but Dylan, the Doors, the Dead Influenced entire generations of musicians. You didn't mention them, but the complete morons who say the Beatles are over rated cause a pain between my my ears that makes me question how they even have the mental capacity to log on to Shaggy.

The whole over rated schtick is BS, cause people have a hard time putting aside personal Taste when it comes to music.

There are band I dislike, but recognize how they influenced other bands through the years.
    This right here. I take no issue with disliking The Beatles or Floyd, hell I hate Bob Dylan, but "overrated" they aren't.

asshat OCSpur might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? OCSpur might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? OCSpur might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? OCSpur might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? OCSpur might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? OCSpur might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? OCSpur might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? OCSpur might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? OCSpur might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? OCSpur might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? OCSpur might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? OCSpur's Avatar
    Dexy's Midnight Runners

Quote Originally Posted by OCSpur View Post
    Dexy's Midnight Runners
    You god damn bastard !

asshat dblazetex grows his own roses dblazetex grows his own roses dblazetex grows his own roses dblazetex grows his own roses dblazetex grows his own roses dblazetex grows his own roses dblazetex grows his own roses dblazetex grows his own roses dblazetex grows his own roses dblazetex grows his own roses dblazetex grows his own roses dblazetex's Avatar
    Without the Ramones, we wouldn't have the movie Rock N Roll High School and Riff Randle. So there.

a Rocker and a Roller AnotherUTFan is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. AnotherUTFan is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. AnotherUTFan is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. AnotherUTFan is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. AnotherUTFan is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. AnotherUTFan is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. AnotherUTFan is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. AnotherUTFan is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. AnotherUTFan is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. AnotherUTFan is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. AnotherUTFan is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. AnotherUTFan's Avatar
    I'm gonna go on record as being a fan of the Ramons and everything they stand for. Extremely important band and anyone saying otherwise is talking out their ass.

bunghole Captain Texas slams and goes hard. Captain Texas slams and goes hard. Captain Texas slams and goes hard. Captain Texas slams and goes hard. Captain Texas slams and goes hard. Captain Texas slams and goes hard. Captain Texas slams and goes hard. Captain Texas slams and goes hard. Captain Texas slams and goes hard. Captain Texas slams and goes hard. Captain Texas slams and goes hard. Captain Texas's Avatar
    U2 are some no talent ass clowns, no offense to Michael Bolton.

asshat OCSpur might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? OCSpur might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? OCSpur might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? OCSpur might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? OCSpur might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? OCSpur might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? OCSpur might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? OCSpur might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? OCSpur might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? OCSpur might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? OCSpur might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? OCSpur's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OnBoard View Post
    You god damn bastard !
    I'm sorry.

Meant to say Stryper...

asshat Gil Bang Shaggy Gold Club Gil Bang Shaggy Gold Club Gil Bang Shaggy Gold Club Gil Bang Shaggy Gold Club Gil Bang Shaggy Gold Club Gil Bang Shaggy Gold Club Gil Bang Shaggy Gold Club Gil Bang Shaggy Gold Club Gil Bang Shaggy Gold Club Gil Bang Shaggy Gold Club Gil Bang Shaggy Gold Club Gil Bang's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic Mackey View Post
    I don't know about overrated but I could never get into the following:

Springsteen
    Dylan
    Pink Floyd
    Rolling Stones
    Ramones
    Sex Pistols
    Red Hot Chili Peppers

I like songs from all them but as a whole, could never listen to that much of them.
    I'm sure you're enjoying the latest from Katy Perry and Lady Gaga

asshat Gil Bang Shaggy Gold Club Gil Bang Shaggy Gold Club Gil Bang Shaggy Gold Club Gil Bang Shaggy Gold Club Gil Bang Shaggy Gold Club Gil Bang Shaggy Gold Club Gil Bang Shaggy Gold Club Gil Bang Shaggy Gold Club Gil Bang Shaggy Gold Club Gil Bang Shaggy Gold Club Gil Bang Shaggy Gold Club Gil Bang's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Massive Horn View Post
    Vampire Weekend
    The Strokes
    Arcade Fire
    Dude, to be "overrated", somebody has to think you're good.

Doesn't apply to the 3 you listed.

Jeez, I don't know if it is you guys that can't wrap your head around the question and taking a major whiff, or if its me, but....

The correct answer is:

Warrant
    Jefferson Starship
    Skid row
    Cinderella
    Extreme

Take your pick

I think the significance of the Ramones is bringing punk to the US. British punk was so anglo-centric that I think it was unapproachable to our great unwashed masses. They are the American Sex Pistols, somewhat less moronic, but less topical. The Clash took punk, musically and lyrically, where it has never been before or since. So $#@!ing good they overshadowed everyone else and its hard to believe, but for the historical record, that they could have been influenced by the Pistols.

So yeah, they were eclipsed, but nevertheless influential.
    Last edited by TwiceHorn; 11-20-2013 at 11:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Longhorns 4 Life View Post
    I would tell you to go $#@! yourself, but your entitled to your opinion so we'll have to agree to disagee. Nirvana, IMO, is the greatest band there ever was. There isn't one song on any album they ever released that i dont love. In fact i've yet to hear an unreleased track that i dont love.

I realize Cobain wasn't the most talented guitar player but even with his limitations he was able to produce some of the greatest guitar sounds this earth has ever heard. Plus he had a great voice, especially for the style of music he played. Man he died way to young.

Quote Originally Posted by TwiceHorn View Post
    I think the significance of the Ramones is bringing punk to the US. British punk was so anglo-centric that I think it was unapproachable to our great unwashed masses. They are the American Sex Pistols, somewhat less moronic, but less topical. The Clash took punk, musically and lyrically, where it has never been before or since. So $#@!ing good they overshadowed everyone else and its hard to believe, but for the historical record, that they could have been influenced by the Pistols.

So yeah, they were eclipsed, but nevertheless influential.
    Jesus $#@!ing Christ. The US invented punk rock, and the Ramones were latecomers to the party.

1965-1969: A horde of "garage rock" bands, many from the Northwest, best known being the Kingsmen (Louie, Louie)
    1969: MC5 and the Stooges (Michigan).
    1971: The New York Dolls (New York) --> later birthed the Sex Pistols, who later birthed the Clash.
    1974: The Ramones (New York).

The phrase "punk rock" first appeared in 1971, primarily to describe mid-60s garage rock bands. It quickly morphed into a phrase to describe the then-current (1971-and-on) anti-prog-rock movement in NYC, the bands being very similar (in sound) to mid-60s garage rock bands. The Ramones appeared 3 years later. Which is to say, they did not bring punk to the US.

bunghole Topper13 slams and goes hard. Topper13 slams and goes hard. Topper13 slams and goes hard. Topper13 slams and goes hard. Topper13 slams and goes hard. Topper13 slams and goes hard. Topper13 slams and goes hard. Topper13 slams and goes hard. Topper13 slams and goes hard. Topper13 slams and goes hard. Topper13 slams and goes hard. Topper13's Avatar
    OK, now I'm thinking I might be posting in a troll thread. Either that, or Cascader just turned 20, blew his load to his first Lester Bangs essay, and is now going to school us all on rock&roll.

Jesus $#@!ing Christ. The US invented punk rock, and the Ramones were latecomers to the party.

1965-1969: A horde of "garage rock" bands, many from the Northwest, best known being the Kingsmen (Louie, Louie)
    1969: MC5 and the Stooges (Michigan).
    1971: The New York Dolls (New York) --> later birthed the Sex Pistols, who later birthed the Clash.
    1974: The Ramones (New York).

The phrase "punk rock" first appeared in 1971, primarily to describe mid-60s garage rock bands. It quickly morphed into a phrase to describe the then-current (1971-and-on) anti-prog-rock movement in NYC, the bands being very similar (in sound) to mid-60s garage rock bands. The Ramones appeared 3 years later. Which is to say, they did not bring punk to the US.
    I would call Dolls and MC5 prepunk or something else, really. And the Kingsmen, nah. Yeah, related, OK. I see there is a term protopunk.

The Stooges I will buy as being punk. At least Dog.

I stand by my post. The Ramones popularized the actual punk movement in the US. Not protopunk, not prepunk, not some glam metal precursor bull$#@!.
    Last edited by TwiceHorn; 11-21-2013 at 05:19 AM.

asshat fuzzz is a rep whore. fuzzz is a rep whore. fuzzz is a rep whore. fuzzz is a rep whore. fuzzz is a rep whore. fuzzz is a rep whore. fuzzz is a rep whore. fuzzz is a rep whore. fuzzz is a rep whore. fuzzz is a rep whore. fuzzz is a rep whore. fuzzz's Avatar
    I'd also like to submit Animal Collective. Pitchfork has such a hardon for these guys that I almost question if the editor isn't their road manager or something. Their music is so repetitive it'd make Philip Glass nauseous, and so weird for the sake of weird that Zappa fans would find it obnoxious.
    lol, what? Their music is repetitive? Compare ST with Feels and MPP - one's folk, one's rock and one's electronic. They aren't for everyone but they aren't the product of a Pitchfork conspiracy either.

http://rateyourmusic.com/artist/animal_collective

Also, Rolling Stone is a joke. It's embarrassing seeing the name of that rag on here.

asshat Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AnotherUTFan View Post
    I'm gonna go on record as being a fan of the Ramons and everything they stand for. Extremely important band and anyone saying otherwise is talking out their ass.
    Not sure who the Ramons are, so you could be completely correct. But the Ramones $#@!ing suck.

Quote Originally Posted by I am the Chupacabra View Post
    Thats funny that you use a gif of jack black saying "what the $#@!" to my opinion. i've heard him say in an interview that he thought bleach was one of his all time favorite albums

I remember watching some stupid Austin cable access show the night Cobain shot himself. The host was besides himself and so were the callers he was putting on the air. Some guy calls up and is going on and on about depression, drug addiction and how he thinks knows what was going through Kurt's mind when he shot himself. The host asked him "What could have been going through his mind?" The guy screams "Buckshot" and hangs up. $#@!ing hilarious.

+ Reply to Thread