+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 63 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: What's happening in Ukraine right now?

YKK on yo zipper Derka Derka might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Derka Derka might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Derka Derka might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Derka Derka might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Derka Derka might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Derka Derka might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Derka Derka might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Derka Derka might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Derka Derka might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Derka Derka might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Derka Derka might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Derka Derka's Avatar

What's happening in Ukraine right now?

Can someone spell out for me exactly what is happening here? Are they talking about a full-on civil war erupting? What would it mean for Ukraine to join the EU, and why is this Yanukovych guy resisting? I'm reading up on the EU right now, but I honestly don't keep up with geopolitical news at all. Never have. I'm trying to change that, but some of the political lingo goes beyond the bounds of the bounds my vernacular. Also, that's a different Vitali Klitschko, right?

http://news.yahoo.com/ukraine-leader...182008885.html

Kiev (AFP) - Pro-EU Ukrainian demonstrators dug in on Wednesday night as domestic and international pressure mounted on President Viktor Yanukovych to end a three-week standoff over his refusal to sign an EU deal.

The demonstrators had earlier forced riot police to retreat after a pre-dawn raid on their protest camp, in a blow to the authority of Yanukovych who called for talks.

EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton met with Yanukovych twice over the past two days and US Assistant Secretary of State Victoria Nuland told the president the attempted police crackdown was "inadmissable".

In Washington, the State Department said the United States was considering "a range of options" to respond to Ukraine's protest crackdown, including possible sanctions.

Yanukovych vowed late Wednesday that the authorities would never use force against peaceful protests and urged the opposition to sit down for talks.

"For the sake of achieving compromise I am calling on the opposition not to reject (talks), not to follow the path of confrontation and ultimatums," Yanukovych said in a statement.

"I am ready to participate in such roundtable talks personally."

The opposition, which has previously ruled out any negotiations until he dismissed the government and punished riot police for crushing a smaller protest on November 30, vowed to do everything to topple the president.

Jailed former prime minister Yulia Tymoshenko warned the protest movement against holding any negotiations with Yanukovych.

"I am calling on all Ukrainians: rise up!" Yanukovych's arch rival said in a statement on Wednesday. "No talks with the gang."

Several dozen people were injured in the early hours when riot police and interior ministry special forces moved against the demonstrators who have occupied Kiev's Independence Square in anger at the rejection of a landmark EU pact.

The security forces tore down makeshift barricades but were eventually forced into a humiliating retreat amid cheers from the demonstrators after the ranks of protesters swelled.

"We have not won the war yet but we've decisively won this battle. The authorities are panicking," said protester Anton Kulyk.

The early morning police action -- which came as both Nuland and Ashton were in Kiev -- sparked unprecedented international criticism of Yanukovych, with US Secretary of State John Kerry expressing "disgust" at the crackdown.

An estimated 5,000 pro-EU demonstrators were camping out in Independence Square on Wednesday night, reinforcing barricades with snow and sand bags.

Warning of full-scale conflict

The spiralling crisis risks pitting the Ukrainian-speaking, pro-EU west of the country against the Russian-speaking, largely pro-Yanukovych east.

The powerful Ukrainian Orthodox Patriarch Filaret warned Wednesday that continued violence could "slide into a full-scale civil conflict".

In a sign of the protests' growing impact, an emergency session by a local legislature in the western city of Ternopil condemned "an escalation of violence" and said city lawmakers would no longer implement the "criminal orders" from Yanukovych and his government.

Wednesday's police crackdown came just hours after three former Ukrainian presidents Leonid Kuchma, Leonid Kravchuk and Viktor Yushchenko called on Yanukovych to protect the rights of protesters.

The demonstrators managed thwart a bid by security forces to retake Kiev city hall, which has been occupied by some 200 opposition activists for over a week.

Police outside the building used truncheons to beat demonstrators, who responded with sticks. Activists in the upper storeys of the building doused officers with freezing water from a fire hose, forcing them to leave.

City authorities said 30 people sought medical help and half of them were hospitalised.

'We care about your future'

Yanukovych's decision to scrap the key trade and political agreements with the EU, coupled with police violence against protesters, have plunged the ex-Soviet country into its most acute political crisis since the 2004 pro-democracy Orange Revolution.

EU foreign affairs head Ashton said she was "deeply concerned about last night's action taken by riot police", which came just hours after she held talks with Yanukovych.

"We will stay engaged because we care very much about your future," she told reporters after meeting the president again on Wednesday.

Ukraine's Deputy Premier Serhiy Arbuzov will meet EU Enlargement Commissioner Stefan Fuele in Brussels on Thursday to discuss the association accord, the commissioner's spokesman Peter Stano said.

US diplomat Nuland, who also met with Yanukovych on Wednesday, stressed there was still a way for the ex-Soviet country to become part of Europe.

Prime Minister Mykola Azarov said that cash-strapped Ukraine needed a 20-billion-euro ($27.5-billion) loan from the EU before it signs the association pact.

With tensions rising, opposition leader Vitali Klitschko cancelled a planned trip to Paris and instead discussed the crisis with French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius by phone.
    Last edited by Derka Derka; 12-11-2013 at 08:44 PM.

asshat js might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? js might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? js might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? js might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? js might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? js might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? js might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? js might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? js might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? js might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? js might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge?
    Western Ukraine is very European while Eastern Ukraine is basically still part of the USSR. Yanukovych is seen as kowtowing to Russia and Putin and basically avoiding the whole issue of joining the EU so as not to piss off Russia. Western Ukraine really wants to be part of the EU.

He had his main rival Yulia Tymonsheko jailed for corruption charges in what turned out to be a pretty politically charged trial. She was his polar opposite, pro-EU and NATO and wary of Russia's influence. He won the presidency over her in 2010 in what was a pretty close election that, like most Eastern Europe elections, seemed flawed.

Last edited by js; 12-11-2013 at 08:54 PM.

asshat CleverNickname grows his own roses CleverNickname grows his own roses CleverNickname grows his own roses CleverNickname grows his own roses CleverNickname grows his own roses CleverNickname grows his own roses CleverNickname grows his own roses CleverNickname grows his own roses CleverNickname grows his own roses CleverNickname grows his own roses CleverNickname grows his own roses CleverNickname's Avatar
    Makes me want to tear down the Joe Jamail statute. Both of them.

asshat Gatorubet GORN Gatorubet GORN Gatorubet GORN Gatorubet GORN Gatorubet GORN Gatorubet GORN Gatorubet GORN Gatorubet GORN Gatorubet GORN Gatorubet GORN Gatorubet GORN Gatorubet's Avatar

What's happening in Ukraine right now?

asshat js might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? js might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? js might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? js might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? js might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? js might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? js might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? js might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? js might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? js might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? js might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge?
    And no, same Klitschko. Opposition leader and elected in 2012 to Parliament

I would read up on the Orange Revolution from 2004. Was really the lead in to this struggle between Eastern Ukraine and the USSR and the West and EU
    Last edited by js; 12-11-2013 at 09:01 PM.

asshat Dennis Taylor is a rep whore. Dennis Taylor is a rep whore. Dennis Taylor is a rep whore. Dennis Taylor is a rep whore. Dennis Taylor is a rep whore. Dennis Taylor is a rep whore. Dennis Taylor is a rep whore. Dennis Taylor is a rep whore. Dennis Taylor is a rep whore. Dennis Taylor is a rep whore. Dennis Taylor is a rep whore. Dennis Taylor's Avatar
    obligatory

El Duderino thestud might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? thestud might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? thestud might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? thestud might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? thestud might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? thestud might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? thestud might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? thestud might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? thestud might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? thestud might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? thestud might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? thestud's Avatar

Same Klitschko. Russian minority that won't integrate runs the country like the mafia. Ethnic Ukrainians think they're Europeans (West Ukraine used to be part of Habsburg Empire) and hate the Russians for $#@! that happened hundreds of years ago. Scuttling the EU deal is just the latest thing to piss them off. If Yanukovich cracks down, I'm expecting ethnic violence.

These might clear it up

Spoiler!

Demon wang so spoilers
    Last edited by SilentJay; 12-12-2013 at 12:30 AM.

YKK on yo zipper Derka Derka might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Derka Derka might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Derka Derka might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Derka Derka might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Derka Derka might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Derka Derka might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Derka Derka might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Derka Derka might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Derka Derka might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Derka Derka might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Derka Derka might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Derka Derka's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by js View Post
    And no, same Klitschko. Opposition leader and elected in 2012 to Parliament

I would read up on the Orange Revolution from 2004. Was really the lead in to this struggle between Eastern Ukraine and the USSR and the West and EU
    Damn, that's crazy, thanks for the heads up. For a guy like me, reading a description of Klitschko's role with no mention of his boxing career is like reading, "Dancing With the Stars celebrity Jerry Rice.....". Ha.

thanks obama jt has a gigantic e-peen. jt has a gigantic e-peen. jt has a gigantic e-peen. jt has a gigantic e-peen. jt has a gigantic e-peen. jt has a gigantic e-peen. jt has a gigantic e-peen. jt has a gigantic e-peen. jt has a gigantic e-peen. jt has a gigantic e-peen. jt has a gigantic e-peen. jt's Avatar
    so is klitschko the good guy wanting eu? or bad guy wanting old school russia?

asshat Woland slams and goes hard. Woland slams and goes hard. Woland slams and goes hard. Woland slams and goes hard. Woland slams and goes hard. Woland slams and goes hard. Woland slams and goes hard. Woland slams and goes hard. Woland slams and goes hard. Woland slams and goes hard. Woland slams and goes hard.
    So you know who they are talking about when they talk about Ruslana appearing at the protests (from the Orange Revolution)

Last edited by Woland; 12-12-2013 at 07:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby Soho View Post
    Same Klitschko. Russian minority that won't integrate runs the country like the mafia. Ethnic Ukrainians think they're Europeans (West Ukraine used to be part of Habsburg Empire) and hate the Russians for $#@! that happened hundreds of years ago. Scuttling the EU deal is just the latest thing to piss them off. If Yanukovich cracks down, I'm expecting ethnic violence.
    If the opposition fights like their leader, it will be pretty boring, long and drawn out ethnic violence.

Quote Originally Posted by jt View Post
    so is klitschko the good guy wanting eu? or bad guy wanting old school russia?
    he's pro EU. He knows the Ukraine can't thrive unless they get those trading partners through the EU

Lord Nivek Nivek Shaggy Gold Club Nivek Shaggy Gold Club Nivek Shaggy Gold Club Nivek Shaggy Gold Club Nivek Shaggy Gold Club Nivek Shaggy Gold Club Nivek Shaggy Gold Club Nivek Shaggy Gold Club Nivek Shaggy Gold Club Nivek Shaggy Gold Club Nivek Shaggy Gold Club Nivek's Avatar
    Hot women

dead from aggy misery od Ghost of LL might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ghost of LL might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ghost of LL might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ghost of LL might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ghost of LL might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ghost of LL might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ghost of LL might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ghost of LL might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ghost of LL might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ghost of LL might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ghost of LL might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ghost of LL's Avatar
    They Tried to Make Me Go to Aggy Misery Rehab . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby Soho View Post
    Right--Western Ukraine is generally wealthier and more economically advanced. It has a large number of Poles, Slovaks, and Romanians. Eastern Ukraine has a large Russian minority and is somewhat less economically developed.

Though a relatively small portion of Western Ukraine was part of the Hapsburg Empire and also part of Poland, the vast majority of Ukraine was always part of the Russian/Soviet Empire (with a very brief period of independence during the Russian Civil War). So the entire infrastructure is directed towards Moscow. Roads and railroads go to Moscow; the power grid has traditionally been based in Russia; gas pipelines all come from Russia. Russia finances Ukraine and holds most of its public debt. The Russians still lease the naval base at Sevastapol.

At the same time, Ukrainian memories of the Russian Empire are not altogether happy. There was that whole Ukrainian famine, which Stalin orchestrated basically to annihilate the Ukrainian people. And the general fact that the Russians used them for cheap farm labor and didn't allow them to participate in economic growth when it happened.

Yanukovych is of a pro-Russian mindset to begin with, and has been supported heavily by the Kremlin. So it was kind of surprising when he began talks with the EU in the first place. That he pulled out is less surprising, but it has outraged the pro-Western opposition. Especially at a time when Putin is consolidating an autocracy in Moscow, this takes on not only a question of ethnic identity and geopolitical power, but also an ideological dispute between Western democracy and Russian authoritarianism.

Quote Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
    Hot women
    Only reason I even started reading up on this is because a hot chick from Kiev has recently decided that she's going to entertain the idea of liking me, so I wanna know my $#@!, lol. Also, Russian is one of the least sexy languages ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of LL View Post
    Right--Western Ukraine is generally wealthier and more economically advanced. It has a large number of Poles, Slovaks, and Romanians. Eastern Ukraine has a large Russian minority and is somewhat less economically developed.

Though a relatively small portion of Western Ukraine was part of the Hapsburg Empire and also part of Poland, the vast majority of Ukraine was always part of the Russian/Soviet Empire (with a very brief period of independence during the Russian Civil War). So the entire infrastructure is directed towards Moscow. Roads and railroads go to Moscow; the power grid has traditionally been based in Russia; gas pipelines all come from Russia. Russia finances Ukraine and holds most of its public debt. The Russians still lease the naval base at Sevastapol.

At the same time, Ukrainian memories of the Russian Empire are not altogether happy. There was that whole Ukrainian famine, which Stalin orchestrated basically to annihilate the Ukrainian people. And the general fact that the Russians used them for cheap farm labor and didn't allow them to participate in economic growth when it happened.

Yanukovych is of a pro-Russian mindset to begin with, and has been supported heavily by the Kremlin. So it was kind of surprising when he began talks with the EU in the first place. That he pulled out is less surprising, but it has outraged the pro-Western opposition. Especially at a time when Putin is consolidating an autocracy in Moscow, this takes on not only a question of ethnic identity and geopolitical power, but also an ideological dispute between Western democracy and Russian authoritarianism.
    Damn, thanks for the synopsis. +rep when I'm off tapa.

asshat Brisketexan GORN Brisketexan GORN Brisketexan GORN Brisketexan GORN Brisketexan GORN Brisketexan GORN Brisketexan GORN Brisketexan GORN Brisketexan GORN Brisketexan GORN Brisketexan GORN Brisketexan's Avatar
    Ikraine, Ukraine . . . we all kraine, really.

asshat sidis is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. sidis is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. sidis is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. sidis is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. sidis is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. sidis is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. sidis is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. sidis is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. sidis is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. sidis is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. sidis is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn.
    derka,

an important facet to this that i haven't seen mentioned is the ukraine's strategic role for both the eu and russia...they are a breadbasket to russia and thus, are extremely important to russia's day to day infrastructure.

somewhat obviously, tying yourself to russia as your primary partner and caretaker is a somewhat odious proposition if you don't share the values of the kremlin. going west to the e.u. would presumably take them out of that cycle but extracting that level of dependence is not something easily done overnight. as pointed about above, ukraine's infrastructure is largely dependent on going east.

asshat Staboned Shaggy Gold Club Staboned Shaggy Gold Club Staboned Shaggy Gold Club Staboned Shaggy Gold Club Staboned Shaggy Gold Club Staboned Shaggy Gold Club Staboned Shaggy Gold Club Staboned Shaggy Gold Club Staboned Shaggy Gold Club Staboned Shaggy Gold Club Staboned Shaggy Gold Club Staboned's Avatar

asshat TheCruiser Shaggy Gold Club TheCruiser Shaggy Gold Club TheCruiser Shaggy Gold Club TheCruiser Shaggy Gold Club TheCruiser Shaggy Gold Club TheCruiser Shaggy Gold Club TheCruiser Shaggy Gold Club TheCruiser Shaggy Gold Club TheCruiser Shaggy Gold Club TheCruiser Shaggy Gold Club TheCruiser Shaggy Gold Club TheCruiser's Avatar
    Western Ukraine is very European while Eastern Ukraine is basically still part of the USSR. Yanukovych is seen as kowtowing to Russia and Putin and basically avoiding the whole issue of joining the EU so as not to piss off Russia. Western Ukraine really wants to be part of the EU.

He had his main rival Yulia Tymonsheko jailed for corruption charges in what turned out to be a pretty politically charged trial. She was his polar opposite, pro-EU and NATO and wary of Russia's influence. He won the presidency over her in 2010 in what was a pretty close election that, like most Eastern Europe elections, seemed flawed.

She looks like one of the rebel princesses in the original Star Wars trilogy.

But yes, this situation is getting serious.

asshat pescado_rojo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? pescado_rojo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? pescado_rojo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? pescado_rojo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? pescado_rojo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? pescado_rojo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? pescado_rojo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? pescado_rojo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? pescado_rojo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? pescado_rojo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? pescado_rojo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? pescado_rojo's Avatar
    I was thinking of starting a "world leaders you would super smash" thread. Might as well start with her....

asshat Horn in one is a rep whore. Horn in one is a rep whore. Horn in one is a rep whore. Horn in one is a rep whore. Horn in one is a rep whore. Horn in one is a rep whore. Horn in one is a rep whore. Horn in one is a rep whore. Horn in one is a rep whore. Horn in one is a rep whore. Horn in one is a rep whore. Horn in one's Avatar
    Honest question...

Should I give a $#@!?

asshat Brisketexan GORN Brisketexan GORN Brisketexan GORN Brisketexan GORN Brisketexan GORN Brisketexan GORN Brisketexan GORN Brisketexan GORN Brisketexan GORN Brisketexan GORN Brisketexan GORN Brisketexan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pescado_rojo View Post
    I was thinking of starting a "world leaders you would super smash" thread. Might as well start with her....
    Yeah, but then we'll have to listen to you whine and whine and whine about the fact that Margaret Thatcher's no longer around.

dead from aggy misery od Ghost of LL might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ghost of LL might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ghost of LL might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ghost of LL might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ghost of LL might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ghost of LL might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ghost of LL might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ghost of LL might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ghost of LL might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ghost of LL might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ghost of LL might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ghost of LL's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sidis View Post
    derka,

an important facet to this that i haven't seen mentioned is the ukraine's strategic role for both the eu and russia...they are a breadbasket to russia and thus, are extremely important to russia's day to day infrastructure.

somewhat obviously, tying yourself to russia as your primary partner and caretaker is a somewhat odious proposition if you don't share the values of the kremlin. going west to the e.u. would presumably take them out of that cycle but extracting that level of dependence is not something easily done overnight. as pointed about above, ukraine's infrastructure is largely dependent on going east.
    From Russia's standpoint, Ukraine is as inalienable part of Russia as Beaumont is of Texas. Sure, it's smelly and full of people with strange accents who eat strange $#@!, but it's a critical component of our economy. And after all, it's been part of Texas for as long as there's been a Texas.

The first "Russian" state was centered in Kiev. Kievan Rus emerged in the late 9th Century under Prince Oleg as the Eastern Slavic tribes emerged from the boreal forest to create urban cities for the first time. After the fall of that state, Ukraine was part of the Kingdom of Poland. But the Partitions put an end to that, and Ukraine has been part of Russia virtually uninterrupted since 1772.

The whole of modern Russia was built in the expectation that Ukraine would be a constituent part. The Black Sea Fleet was (and is) headquartered in Sevastapol, and the Russian dream of controlling the Bosporos (and therefore having an outlet into the Mediterranean and, thus, the Atlantic) is centered on control of Ukraine. Much of the Soviet Union's agricultural production was based in Ukraine (Ukraine is the world's fifth-largest grain exporter), and its loss limits Russia's economic flexibility, forcing Russian lands that would otherwise be devoted to cash crops to be used for the production of grain. What Modern Russia does produce--oil and gas--has to go through Ukraine to get to its primary end customers in Central and Western Europe.

And then there's that persistent and pathological Russian fear of invasion. If the EU--and when I write "EU," the Russian reads "Germany"--were to expand to Ukraine, that would put the EU's eastern border less than 200 miles from Volgograd (i.e., Stalingrad). That means a western invasion could capture the Volga and separate Moscow from the Caucasus in less than a week, thereby separating them from any warm-water seaport and removing control of half their oil production.

But even if you don't worry about invasion--and Russians always worry about invasion--the extension of the EU into Ukraine pushes Russia back into the forest, to the very edge of Europe. Russia has, since the 18th Century, determined to play a major role in European affairs. But taking Ukraine out of the Russian sphere isolates Russia. The fact that there is a "Russian Sphere" separate and distinct from the "European Sphere" already gives some indication of Russia's isolation and some justification to its neurosis. It pushes Russia back to the punitive borders of Brest-Litovsk, and insures that Germany, and not Russia, will control the whole of Eastern Europe.

asshat Woland slams and goes hard. Woland slams and goes hard. Woland slams and goes hard. Woland slams and goes hard. Woland slams and goes hard. Woland slams and goes hard. Woland slams and goes hard. Woland slams and goes hard. Woland slams and goes hard. Woland slams and goes hard. Woland slams and goes hard.
    I'll add (on more mundane notes) that...

1. The list of countries that will buy Russian-made goods (excluding oil and gas) is already short. Any increase in trade between Russia and the EU means a loss for Russia.
    2. Ukrainians don't want their country to become another Belarus.
    3. Putin dreams of rebuilding the empire.

Kievan Rus emerged in the late 9th Century under Prince Oleg as the Eastern Slavic tribes emerged from the boreal forest to create urban cities for the first time.
    $#@!in' Prince Oleg. It always comes back to Prince Oleg with you.

What Ghost of LL is saying. Russia has this neurotic Napoleon syndrome that Europe (Germany) is out to get them and take over. Newsflash: Germany is already carrying the continent on their back. Russia wants to dominate the Eastern European geopolitical sphere because they can't compete on their own continent. They are in a $#@!ty place, stuck between Europe (Germany) and China and their sphere of influence is waning as their former satellite states like Lativa, Lithuania, Estonia have joined the EU and now the Ukraine is trying to make their push into it. Poor Russia. The Orange Revolution really set into motion this notion of a European Ukraine instead of a Russian Ukraine.

And yeah, Ukraine doesn't really want to become Belarus. That country might as well still be in the USSR. I say to hell with Eastern Ukraine, split it up.
    Last edited by js; 12-12-2013 at 04:11 PM.

asshat pescado_rojo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? pescado_rojo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? pescado_rojo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? pescado_rojo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? pescado_rojo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? pescado_rojo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? pescado_rojo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? pescado_rojo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? pescado_rojo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? pescado_rojo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? pescado_rojo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? pescado_rojo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brisketexan View Post
    $#@!in' Prince Oleg. It always comes back to Prince Oleg with you.
    He kicked Askold's ass!!

Quote Originally Posted by pescado_rojo View Post
    He beat Askold's ass!!

asshat sidis is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. sidis is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. sidis is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. sidis is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. sidis is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. sidis is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. sidis is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. sidis is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. sidis is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. sidis is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. sidis is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of LL View Post
    From Russia's standpoint, Ukraine is as inalienable part of Russia as Beaumont is of Texas. Sure, it's smelly and full of people with strange accents who eat strange $#@!, but it's a critical component of our economy. And after all, it's been part of Texas for as long as there's been a Texas.

The first "Russian" state was centered in Kiev. Kievan Rus emerged in the late 9th Century under Prince Oleg as the Eastern Slavic tribes emerged from the boreal forest to create urban cities for the first time. After the fall of that state, Ukraine was part of the Kingdom of Poland. But the Partitions put an end to that, and Ukraine has been part of Russia virtually uninterrupted since 1772.

The whole of modern Russia was built in the expectation that Ukraine would be a constituent part. The Black Sea Fleet was (and is) headquartered in Sevastapol, and the Russian dream of controlling the Bosporos (and therefore having an outlet into the Mediterranean and, thus, the Atlantic) is centered on control of Ukraine. Much of the Soviet Union's agricultural production was based in Ukraine (Ukraine is the world's fifth-largest grain exporter), and its loss limits Russia's economic flexibility, forcing Russian lands that would otherwise be devoted to cash crops to be used for the production of grain. What Modern Russia does produce--oil and gas--has to go through Ukraine to get to its primary end customers in Central and Western Europe.

And then there's that persistent and pathological Russian fear of invasion. If the EU--and when I write "EU," the Russian reads "Germany"--were to expand to Ukraine, that would put the EU's eastern border less than 200 miles from Volgograd (i.e., Stalingrad). That means a western invasion could capture the Volga and separate Moscow from the Caucasus in less than a week, thereby separating them from any warm-water seaport and removing control of half their oil production.

But even if you don't worry about invasion--and Russians always worry about invasion--the extension of the EU into Ukraine pushes Russia back into the forest, to the very edge of Europe. Russia has, since the 18th Century, determined to play a major role in European affairs. But taking Ukraine out of the Russian sphere isolates Russia. The fact that there is a "Russian Sphere" separate and distinct from the "European Sphere" already gives some indication of Russia's isolation and some justification to its neurosis. It pushes Russia back to the punitive borders of Brest-Litovsk, and insures that Germany, and not Russia, will control the whole of Eastern Europe.
    there was a time when goll accused me of being exceedingly-verbose.

i just want it noted that 90% of goll's post was captured less specifically (and likely less eloquently) by the three lines it quotes. ;)

i just want it noted that 90% of goll's post was captured less specifically (and likely less eloquently) by the three lines it quotes. ;)
    But then Prince Oleg wouldn't have made an appearance in this thread.

And there ain't a thread worth jack $#@! without a Prince Oleg appearance.

And yes, I'm including the threads over in the other sub-forum. A little Prince Oleg could improve all of them.

Just read this...very dry but he was a very lively professor..

Russia/European History is my favorite. Russia is just a whole history of $#@!ed up $#@!.

asshat random horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? random horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? random horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? random horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? random horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? random horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? random horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? random horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? random horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? random horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? random horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? random horn's Avatar
    Russia/European History is my favorite. Russia is just a whole history of $#@!ed up $#@!.
    they're still reeling from the mongol invasions

Just because I said you were verbose didn't imply that I wasn't.

asshat Horn_Spanker grows his own roses Horn_Spanker grows his own roses Horn_Spanker grows his own roses Horn_Spanker grows his own roses Horn_Spanker grows his own roses Horn_Spanker grows his own roses Horn_Spanker grows his own roses Horn_Spanker grows his own roses Horn_Spanker grows his own roses Horn_Spanker grows his own roses Horn_Spanker grows his own roses Horn_Spanker's Avatar
    derka,

Put this in a PM!

So basically the Rooskies will turn off the gas if the Ukes don't play ball, nest say paw?

asshat Horn in one is a rep whore. Horn in one is a rep whore. Horn in one is a rep whore. Horn in one is a rep whore. Horn in one is a rep whore. Horn in one is a rep whore. Horn in one is a rep whore. Horn in one is a rep whore. Horn in one is a rep whore. Horn in one is a rep whore. Horn in one is a rep whore. Horn in one's Avatar
    So are you guys trying to say that I should give a $#@!? I can't tell.

Put more simply, the only worthwhile portions of Russia (in the sense of the former USSR) are Russia (the Russian SSR, now Russia) and the Ukraine (the Ukrainian SSR), and the Ukraine is more worthwhile than Russia as it is less frozen and drunk. As noted, it is the bread basket and is more European than Russian. Byelorussia, or White Russia, used to be worthwhile, but all the worthwhile people split and now you have Belarus.

Anyway, the Ukraine historically and culturally should probably be part of the EU. Russia can't stand that idea and actually needs the Ukraine worse than it needs Russia.

You need to read this also..

asshat random horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? random horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? random horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? random horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? random horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? random horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? random horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? random horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? random horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? random horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? random horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? random horn's Avatar
    ^^ does it have pictures i can color in?

asshat Bacone Cap is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Bacone Cap is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Bacone Cap is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Bacone Cap is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Bacone Cap is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Bacone Cap is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Bacone Cap is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Bacone Cap is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Bacone Cap is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Bacone Cap is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Bacone Cap is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares?
    Quote Originally Posted by Brisketexan View Post
    Yeah, but then we'll have to listen to you whine and whine and whine about the fact that Margaret Thatcher's no longer around.
    the queen more than makes up for it.

asshat judge roybeanbag might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? judge roybeanbag might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? judge roybeanbag might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? judge roybeanbag might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? judge roybeanbag might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? judge roybeanbag might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? judge roybeanbag might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? judge roybeanbag might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? judge roybeanbag might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? judge roybeanbag might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? judge roybeanbag might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? judge roybeanbag's Avatar
    Hot bitches are wanting to $#@! swag dudes from Pflugerville. I recommend getting on it right away.

Looking more and more like a revolution in Kiev.

Riot police receiving barrage of molotov $#@!tails.
    http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=911_1390295593

asshat Basil Your Face might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Basil Your Face might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Basil Your Face might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Basil Your Face might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Basil Your Face might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Basil Your Face might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Basil Your Face might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Basil Your Face might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Basil Your Face might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Basil Your Face might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Basil Your Face might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Basil Your Face's Avatar
    The Kieviean riot police suck with their tortoise formation. I wouldn't be scared of them either.

asshat TJ GORN TJ GORN TJ GORN TJ GORN TJ GORN TJ GORN TJ GORN TJ GORN TJ GORN TJ GORN TJ GORN TJ's Avatar
    lol @ the dude swinging the hammer. that's awesome.

asshat LonghornJones grows his own roses LonghornJones grows his own roses LonghornJones grows his own roses LonghornJones grows his own roses LonghornJones grows his own roses LonghornJones grows his own roses LonghornJones grows his own roses LonghornJones grows his own roses LonghornJones grows his own roses LonghornJones grows his own roses LonghornJones grows his own roses

One guy is doing whippets I think..

+ Reply to Thread