+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Becoming a Landman

Not Me

Becoming a Landman

How does one do so?

I'm a graduate of the University and have some completed some graduate coursework. I have little work experience.

I've begun feeling out my personal contacts in the area, but the collective Shag wisdom is always appealing.

Given the issues with the economy and the price of oil is this still a viable career option? Or is it kind of like looking to start flipping houses?

Thanks.

asshat SullHorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. SullHorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. SullHorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. SullHorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. SullHorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. SullHorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. SullHorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. SullHorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. SullHorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. SullHorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. SullHorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night.
    You're going to have a hard time competing with the graduates of the PLM programs at OU and TTU--especially right now, as the market is down and practically everyone is on a hiring freeze.

If I were in your shoes, I'd look to become a land tech at a mid-size independent and work your way into a full landman role, or shoot for the stars and try to see if some of the personnel-strapped majors are willing to "convert" and train you--try for Oxy, Marathon, Apache, Anadarko, and maybe Exxon (although that will be hard I think). Good luck!

I would second what SullHorn said. I am a Director for YPE here in Austin and my codirector is a landman and his company only has 2 landmen. His boss (who is a VP) and him....all the others were laid off. Good luck getting into it but my advice is to just not give up if that is what you want to do. There are A LOT of companies out there so start applying, networking, etc and never give up.

I come from the water Quasimofo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Quasimofo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Quasimofo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Quasimofo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Quasimofo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Quasimofo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Quasimofo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Quasimofo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Quasimofo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Quasimofo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Quasimofo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Quasimofo's Avatar
    A good place to keep an eye on is rigzone.com, under the jobs category. Usually under the Management/Support jobs. There are usually some landman jobs on there, but it also gives you an idea of which companies do what, or even NEED landmen. My wife was a landman as an idependent, and I work in this industry as a Rig Technician/Field Mechanic. A lot of companies look at the present situation as the time to hire the best people they can get, from the top, right down to roughneck. But I looked on rigzone just now, and there are two landman jobs there. Of course, as I just said, they are seeking experienced, top-notch people. But, the good part is that when they hire, it opens up something down the line. Or, they may not be able to fill it and will give a go-getter an opportunity. Of course you know, LAST summer would have been a better time to get into this! Good luck

this is a good search too. join some of these organizations...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...iation&spell=1

I've been an independent landman for the last 3 years (UT grad 2003). Without any experience or lack of a PLM degree or a law degree your not gonig to be able to get into any of the big companies (shell, exxonmobil, BP ect).

Your best shot is becoming an independent landman and working for a broker. Start networking and contacting brokers. A few big ones in Houston are OGM Land, Roger Soape and Cinco. It's real important starting out to be with someone who knows what's going, because it's on the job training and if the guy teaching you sucks... you're gonna suck. Also you must be willing to travel to be a field landman

Good luck,

Also go to the website http://www.landman.org/ (AAPL)

asshat Eastwood22 Shaggy Gold Club Eastwood22 Shaggy Gold Club Eastwood22 Shaggy Gold Club Eastwood22 Shaggy Gold Club Eastwood22 Shaggy Gold Club Eastwood22 Shaggy Gold Club Eastwood22 Shaggy Gold Club Eastwood22 Shaggy Gold Club Eastwood22 Shaggy Gold Club Eastwood22 Shaggy Gold Club Eastwood22 Shaggy Gold Club Eastwood22's Avatar
    It really helps to have a personal contact. I was a landman for a couple of years before quitting and going back to school. No one is hiring and A LOT of people have been laid off. As much as 90 percent in some crews.

asshat Surly Bevo Shaggy Gold Club Surly Bevo Shaggy Gold Club Surly Bevo Shaggy Gold Club Surly Bevo Shaggy Gold Club Surly Bevo Shaggy Gold Club Surly Bevo Shaggy Gold Club Surly Bevo Shaggy Gold Club Surly Bevo Shaggy Gold Club Surly Bevo Shaggy Gold Club Surly Bevo Shaggy Gold Club Surly Bevo Shaggy Gold Club Surly Bevo's Avatar
    Just remember the 4 T's of being a landman. "Tueday-Thursday, Ten-Two". Seriously all these guys talking about heavy credentials I am not sure about. I know two guys who moved to Shreveport with literally no related degree or experience who both got pretty sweet landman gigs.

I come from the water Quasimofo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Quasimofo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Quasimofo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Quasimofo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Quasimofo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Quasimofo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Quasimofo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Quasimofo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Quasimofo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Quasimofo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Quasimofo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Quasimofo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Surly Bevo
    Just remember the 4 T's of being a landman. "Tueday-Thursday, Ten-Two". Seriously all these guys talking about heavy credentials I am not sure about. I know two guys who moved to Shreveport with literally no related degree or experience who both got pretty sweet landman gigs.
    I just had a rig complete it's 3rd well in that area (Haynesville Shale) I spent a LOT of time in the Comfort Suites on I 30! Chesapeake is a big player in that region, and they have cut rigs and production. But I did talk to a lady in a store in Logansport who had not leased her land. She said Chesapeake had offered her $18K for hers and she was holding out for more! I told her that I had just heard on the radio that morning that the highest paid at an auction the day before was $727 an acre, and a lot went untouched. We drilled up near Keithville, and then down between Keatchi and Logansport. If you drive through that country, you see a LOT of people with very small parcels of land. So I am sure there were a lot of people like that woman who though it was just going to go up. By the way, our rig that was there got stacked a couple weeks ago if anyone needs a 750,000lb rig with a top drive. Preferebly closer to Ft Worth or Austin! Shreveport gets old QUICK!

asshat ryskey can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. ryskey can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. ryskey can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. ryskey can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. ryskey can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. ryskey can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. ryskey can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. ryskey can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. ryskey can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. ryskey can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. ryskey can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night.
    I figured with the frenzy last summer over the Haynesville/Bossier/Cotton Valley, most operators had already overpaid for leases, at least in Louisiana. We'll see if those in Texas will be worth it. It's gonna be a while before they know though.

Just met with two of those operators and the only reason they're still drilling is because they're locked into long-term rig contracts. Based on early performance and the current price, looks like some of the wells will be losers. Let's hope the price goes back up. Also, it's all still pretty experimental. They're using Barnett-style completions in much tighter rock and a thicker zone. Those are sure to change once we get some more data and complete the study.

Parallel work idea for you if the oil companies aren't buying/hiring. Become a landman for billboards, cell towers, or radio antennas. Negotiate the leases or easements, secure permits, flip for $5K to $50K depending on quality and location.

asshat CHIEF can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. CHIEF can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. CHIEF can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. CHIEF can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. CHIEF can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. CHIEF can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. CHIEF can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. CHIEF can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. CHIEF can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. CHIEF can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. CHIEF can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. CHIEF's Avatar
    I own a lease brokerage company, and I can tell you that it is too late to get into the game. I have guys with 30 years experience calling 3-4 times a day, willing to work for peanuts. With gas at $3.60 to $4.50 per mcf, most of your resource and tight gas plays aren't even at the break even point. We have applied for our operator's license and are switching to oil plays in the Permian Basin. A lot of drillers are just happy to have work right now, and will even drill by the foot, also pipe prices are down about 75% in our area. With oil still hovering around $50 per barrel, we feel like there is no better time than the present.

CHIEF

asshat suttree can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. suttree can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. suttree can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. suttree can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. suttree can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. suttree can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. suttree can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. suttree can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. suttree can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. suttree can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. suttree can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. suttree's Avatar
    those areas have been drilled.

Banned mini-baller grows his own roses mini-baller grows his own roses mini-baller grows his own roses mini-baller grows his own roses mini-baller grows his own roses mini-baller grows his own roses mini-baller grows his own roses mini-baller grows his own roses mini-baller grows his own roses mini-baller grows his own roses mini-baller grows his own roses
    I’d hold off on oil as a viable career option. We’re gearing up to battle some bad legislation right now and it’s likely that we’ll lose.

bunghole gregdavisnumber1OC is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? gregdavisnumber1OC is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? gregdavisnumber1OC is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? gregdavisnumber1OC is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? gregdavisnumber1OC is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? gregdavisnumber1OC is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? gregdavisnumber1OC is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? gregdavisnumber1OC is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? gregdavisnumber1OC's Avatar
    Behind the wheel of the powerful 2010 Texas offense.
    hoping the collective brain power of the shag can give me some insight. graduated from texas in '09 w/ an economics degree. 2010 sucked a fat one. football was depressing, job market was brutal. long story short, i finally landed a job w/ chesapeake energy as an "associate field landman". i start at the end of this month and i'm pretty pumped. first taste of a real paycheck. i'll also get to see the countryside while i'm still young and sans financial/familial commitments. aside from the basic rundown of duties (researching ownership/titles, hunting down mineral owners, negotiating), this will all be new to me. was wondering if any of you have experience as a landman, and, if so, could you share some insight/tips/anecdotes? appreciate anything y'all can offer.

asshat justhookit slams and goes hard. justhookit slams and goes hard. justhookit slams and goes hard. justhookit slams and goes hard. justhookit slams and goes hard. justhookit slams and goes hard. justhookit slams and goes hard. justhookit slams and goes hard. justhookit slams and goes hard. justhookit slams and goes hard. justhookit slams and goes hard. justhookit's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gregdavisnumber1OC View Post
    hoping the collective brain power of the shag can give me some insight. graduated from texas in '09 w/ an economics degree. 2010 sucked a fat one. football was depressing, job market was brutal. long story short, i finally landed a job w/ chesapeake energy as an "associate field landman". i start at the end of this month and i'm pretty pumped. first taste of a real paycheck. i'll also get to see the countryside while i'm still young and sans financial/familial commitments. aside from the basic rundown of duties (researching ownership/titles, hunting down mineral owners, negotiating), this will all be new to me. was wondering if any of you have experience as a landman, and, if so, could you share some insight/tips/anecdotes? appreciate anything y'all can offer.
    You in Ft. Worth? I can put you in touch with some people there that work for Kasner (sp?) with Chesapeake.

asshat Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by justhookit View Post
    You in Ft. Worth? I can put you in touch with some people there that work for Kasner (sp?) with Chesapeake.
    My cousin also works for Chris Kastner. He's up in Wyoming right now, and for the foreseeable future, but I am sure I can get him to answer some questions if you need me to.

bunghole gregdavisnumber1OC is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? gregdavisnumber1OC is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? gregdavisnumber1OC is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? gregdavisnumber1OC is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? gregdavisnumber1OC is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? gregdavisnumber1OC is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? gregdavisnumber1OC is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? gregdavisnumber1OC is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? gregdavisnumber1OC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by justhookit View Post
    I'm in the Houston area and will start training in OKC Jan. 31st. It would be great to get in touch w/ others in the field. I'm just looking for a general run down of day-to-day type stuff and trying to get a better idea of what to expect outside of the basic job description and duties.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange&White View Post
    My cousin also works for Chris Kastner. He's up in Wyoming right now, and for the foreseeable future, but I am sure I can get him to answer some questions if you need me to.
    Awesome. That would be great. I'll have to get some questions together, but basically, like I said ^ , I'm hoping to get a better idea of what to expect because this whole experience will be a new one.

asshat Firemans4Horn Shaggy Gold Club Firemans4Horn Shaggy Gold Club Firemans4Horn Shaggy Gold Club Firemans4Horn Shaggy Gold Club Firemans4Horn Shaggy Gold Club Firemans4Horn Shaggy Gold Club Firemans4Horn Shaggy Gold Club Firemans4Horn Shaggy Gold Club Firemans4Horn Shaggy Gold Club Firemans4Horn Shaggy Gold Club Firemans4Horn Shaggy Gold Club Firemans4Horn's Avatar

Meth,

Not even once!

Thank you, Firemans4Horn, for your input.

asshat SullHorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. SullHorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. SullHorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. SullHorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. SullHorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. SullHorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. SullHorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. SullHorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. SullHorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. SullHorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. SullHorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night.
    Tip--get the $#@! out of Wyoming and Northern Colorado. CHK is overpaying for a $#@! ton of leases and it's pissing me off.

Gregdavisnumber10C, PM me if you want to talk. I'm a landman in Beaumont.

Freida's Boss DCA_HORN grows his own roses DCA_HORN grows his own roses DCA_HORN grows his own roses DCA_HORN grows his own roses DCA_HORN grows his own roses DCA_HORN grows his own roses DCA_HORN grows his own roses DCA_HORN grows his own roses DCA_HORN grows his own roses DCA_HORN grows his own roses DCA_HORN grows his own roses DCA_HORN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SullHorn View Post
    Tip--get the $#@! out of Wyoming and Northern Colorado. CHK is overpaying for a $#@! ton of leases and it's pissing me off.
    They won't be anymore with their new plan to cut their debt.

Oh, and the meth thing is actually more relevant than young grasshopper thinks.

Cowboys and Texans fan ! tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt's Avatar
    keep an eye on the oxy website, they always have listings

Thanks. I'll be sure to pass that tip along once I start. You sound pretty mad.

Quote Originally Posted by DCA_HORN View Post
    They won't be anymore with their new plan to cut their debt.

Oh, and the meth thing is actually more relevant than young grasshopper thinks.
    I'm a proud graduate of the D.A.R.E. program, and I like my teeth, so there's that.

Cowboys and Texans fan ! tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? tx 3 putt's Avatar
    i would listen to any advice sullhorn is giving on this topic

Quote Originally Posted by Storm the Field View Post
    Gregdavisnumber10C, PM me if you want to talk. I'm a landman in Beaumont.
    Sounds good. I'll PM you as soon as I can. Apparently, I have to register more posts before I can PM. n00b status. I'll def get in touch w/ you asap.

Thanks. I'll be sure to pass that tip along once I start. You sound pretty mad.
    nah, it's CHK's MO, but the DJ has been blowing up with lease activity and there's always some $#@! that overvalues a few parcels which, in turn, overvalues the rest of the area.

asshat ryskey can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. ryskey can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. ryskey can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. ryskey can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. ryskey can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. ryskey can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. ryskey can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. ryskey can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. ryskey can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. ryskey can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. ryskey can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night.
    nah, it's CHK's MO
    Yep. It's funny being a consultant and every time I mention CHK, everyone has this visceral reaction with furrowed brows and nasty comments.

If I worked for an operator I wouldn't like them either. But I can't help but be impressed with how they do business.

nah, it's CHK's MO, but the DJ has been blowing up with lease activity and there's always some $#@! that overvalues a few parcels which, in turn, overvalues the rest of the area.
    Sullhorn, I'm gonna PM as soon as I can. I'd like to hear more from you. I've heard most of the good, it would be useful to hear some of the bad.

Quote Originally Posted by ryskey View Post
    Yep. It's funny being a consultant and every time I mention CHK, everyone has this visceral reaction with furrowed brows and nasty comments.

If I worked for an operator I wouldn't like them either. But I can't help but be impressed with how they do business.
    That 60 Minutes piece must've really pissed people off. Haters gonna hate, I suppose.

Nah, the aggressive bidding with no intention of fully developing what they bid on is what pisses people off. Could be interpreted as speculation, which IS irritating, but it's also to give them a serious advantage on the G&G side of things. There aren't many companies out there that can pull that off, and even fewer who'd want to given the risk.

Note taken. 16 more posts and I can PM y'all. Whats a good forum to dump on? Also, any other advice w/ regards to my original question (landman day-to-day)?

asshat Dr Fear can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Dr Fear can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Dr Fear can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Dr Fear can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Dr Fear can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Dr Fear can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Dr Fear can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Dr Fear can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Dr Fear can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Dr Fear can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Dr Fear can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Dr Fear's Avatar
    I did title work in Tarrant for a few months before I got my current title attorney job. The industry is a complete free for all. CHK plans to drill over 300 wells this year, BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by ryskey View Post
    Nah, the aggressive bidding with no intention of fully developing what they bid on is what pisses people off. Could be interpreted as speculation, which IS irritating, but it's also to give them a serious advantage on the G&G side of things. There aren't many companies out there that can pull that off, and even fewer who'd want to given the risk.
    Bingo. We're running a $#@! ton of rigs and have been for years. CHK and speculators come in and throw numbers out there that never really seem to make economic sense.

I work for Kastner :)

Hey, I got on with Kastner Land Services (www.kastnerland.com) in November '09 just when they started to get big and it's been a pretty awesome gig.

If you don't know about how the whole Landman thing works here's a rundown. (at least here in the Barnett Shale, field landmen are a bit different)

There's the title side and the leasing side... get into the title side (your work is based off of what you do, not how many people you can convince to sign a lease)

Title side is researching and putting document info into an excel spreadsheet... pretty easy stuff for a college graduate (I'd hope). But you do have to pay attention and you can't sleep walk through. Most of the title documents that you'll need are at the title plant in the Chesapeake building in downtown Fort Worth. As opposed to just about anywhere else you do title and would be in clerk's offices gathering stuff.

Leasing is going out and trying to convince people to take x amount of dollars for their generally puny amount of land... a lot of the leases that go out are on less than an acre which doesn't give you a lot of money to convince them with. Anywho, my suggestion is to get into the title side.

And Orange&White who do you know that's in Wyoming???

asshat Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RelaxedLonghorn View Post
    My cousin, Winchester.

fucktard TrophyHorn is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares?
    I would also be interested in any entry level positions in TX. I have 10 years experience in commercial real estate, focusing on land/improved property, title research, lease/contract negotiation/analysis/abstracting and business development. I'm looking to make a career change. If anyone knows of anything, please email me at smaulden@sbcglobal.net.

I've been looking (and applying) through a lot of the outlets mentioned in this thread. I've also been trying to network. Hopefully someone here will have a lead or advice. Thanks.

asshat Dr Fear can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Dr Fear can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Dr Fear can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Dr Fear can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Dr Fear can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Dr Fear can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Dr Fear can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Dr Fear can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Dr Fear can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Dr Fear can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Dr Fear can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Dr Fear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RelaxedLonghorn View Post
    Hey, I got on with Kastner Land Services (www.kastnerland.com) in November '09 just when they started to get big and it's been a pretty awesome gig.

If you don't know about how the whole Landman thing works here's a rundown. (at least here in the Barnett Shale, field landmen are a bit different)

There's the title side and the leasing side... get into the title side (your work is based off of what you do, not how many people you can convince to sign a lease)

Title side is researching and putting document info into an excel spreadsheet... pretty easy stuff for a college graduate (I'd hope). But you do have to pay attention and you can't sleep walk through. Most of the title documents that you'll need are at the title plant in the Chesapeake building in downtown Fort Worth. As opposed to just about anywhere else you do title and would be in clerk's offices gathering stuff.

Leasing is going out and trying to convince people to take x amount of dollars for their generally puny amount of land... a lot of the leases that go out are on less than an acre which doesn't give you a lot of money to convince them with. Anywho, my suggestion is to get into the title side.

Relaxed, do you still work at Kastner? I have a few questions for you. I used to work for Axia and do opinions now. I can't figure out how to PM you, might be because you know have 4 posts.

+ Reply to Thread