+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Smoke coming out of the vents of my house

asshat mdmost might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mdmost might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mdmost might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mdmost might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mdmost might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mdmost might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mdmost might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mdmost might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mdmost might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mdmost might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mdmost might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mdmost's Avatar

Smoke coming out of the vents of my house

Turned on the furnace today since our house is getting colder. First off, very little air was coming out of the vents. Then I noticed the smell of smoke and flipped on the lights to see smoke around the top of the ceiling. The whole house seemed to be filled with it. So I shut the heater off and switched to fans to dissipate the smoke. Opened windows too.

Switched back on just the fan for the A/C and no more smoke. Any ideas? A/C was serviced in the summer with a new fan motor put in. Furnace was worked on last winter.

asshat KC-97HORN is a rep whore. KC-97HORN is a rep whore. KC-97HORN is a rep whore. KC-97HORN is a rep whore. KC-97HORN is a rep whore. KC-97HORN is a rep whore. KC-97HORN is a rep whore. KC-97HORN is a rep whore. KC-97HORN is a rep whore. KC-97HORN is a rep whore. KC-97HORN is a rep whore. KC-97HORN's Avatar
    pretty good chance if you havent purged your heater since the last time you used it that dust and stuff is being burned off. its usually pretty normal- everytime I fired up my heater after not using it for 5-6 months I always smelled something burning

asshat 244335 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? 244335 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? 244335 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? 244335 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? 244335 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? 244335 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? 244335 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? 244335 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? 244335 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? 244335 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? 244335 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? 244335's Avatar

Re: Smoke coming out of the vents of my house

Quote Originally Posted by mdmost
    Turned on the furnace today since our house is getting colder. First off, very little air was coming out of the vents. Then I noticed the smell of smoke and flipped on the lights to see smoke around the top of the ceiling. The whole house seemed to be filled with it. So I shut the heater off and switched to fans to dissipate the smoke. Opened windows too.

Switched back on just the fan for the A/C and no more smoke. Any ideas? A/C was serviced in the summer with a new fan motor put in. Furnace was worked on last winter.
    Nothing to worry about as long as it doesn't continue. This happened to us last year as well the first time I fired up the heater.

No heat yet in this house. We've had a nice fire burning all day though.

Banned BlackSweat is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares?
    Just another voice to alleviate your concern, same thing has happened to me a couple of times when I have first cranked on the heat for the season, have even set the smoke alarm off. Should just be burning off dust, as long as it doesn't continue it's nothing to be worried about.

asshat Sparky slams and goes hard. Sparky slams and goes hard. Sparky slams and goes hard. Sparky slams and goes hard. Sparky slams and goes hard. Sparky slams and goes hard. Sparky slams and goes hard. Sparky slams and goes hard. Sparky slams and goes hard. Sparky slams and goes hard. Sparky slams and goes hard. Sparky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KC-97HORN
    pretty good chance if you havent purged your heater since the last time you used it that dust and stuff is being burned off. its usually pretty normal- everytime I fired up my heater after not using it for 5-6 months I always smelled something burning
    What he said, or you've been taken over by the Soviet's.

asshat mdmost might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mdmost might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mdmost might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mdmost might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mdmost might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mdmost might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mdmost might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mdmost might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mdmost might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mdmost might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mdmost might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mdmost's Avatar
    Cranked it up again and had the same thing happen only the smoke was a lot heavier. Went and got a CO detector but it doesn't show anything. I'm just going to call my A/C guy out just to be sure. With a kid in the house, I don't want to take any chances.

asshat 244335 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? 244335 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? 244335 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? 244335 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? 244335 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? 244335 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? 244335 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? 244335 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? 244335 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? 244335 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? 244335 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? 244335's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mdmost
    Cranked it up again and had the same thing happen only the smoke was a lot heavier. Went and got a CO detector but it doesn't show anything. I'm just going to call my A/C guy out just to be sure. With a kid in the house, I don't want to take any chances.
    Good call.

I just had a 2 year old water heater fail on me a couple of weeks ago. They just don't make things like they used to make them.

asshat zzzz is a rep whore. zzzz is a rep whore. zzzz is a rep whore. zzzz is a rep whore. zzzz is a rep whore. zzzz is a rep whore. zzzz is a rep whore. zzzz is a rep whore. zzzz is a rep whore. zzzz is a rep whore. zzzz is a rep whore. zzzz's Avatar
    Do you have any fire extinguishers in the house?'

I just bought a couple of these today:

http://www.amazon.com/First-Alert-AF...5319097&sr=8-1

When we turned ours on for the first time at our old house it was the first time the heater had been on in 2 years. We got smoke out the vents and fire alarms going off. Fun times.

asshat pomdaddy can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. pomdaddy can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. pomdaddy can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. pomdaddy can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. pomdaddy can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. pomdaddy can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. pomdaddy can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. pomdaddy can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. pomdaddy can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. pomdaddy can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. pomdaddy can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. pomdaddy's Avatar
    Its your furnace just burning off all the mold in the system.

Its your furnace just burning off all the mold in the system.
    It is also a sure sign of roaches and rats in the pipes. No big deal-just burn through it for a couple of minutes-but it wouldn't hurt you to clean up every once in a while.

Guy came out today and said both my primary and backup limit switches were fried. That explains the burnt electric smell that still exists throughout our house. He said the limit switch tells the furnace to turn on the fan so it will blow air through the house. This wasn't happening so the circuit fried and the furnace just kept getting hotter and hotter. Should be back out to fix it tomorrow.

asshat Xian slams and goes hard. Xian slams and goes hard. Xian slams and goes hard. Xian slams and goes hard. Xian slams and goes hard. Xian slams and goes hard. Xian slams and goes hard. Xian slams and goes hard. Xian slams and goes hard. Xian slams and goes hard. Xian slams and goes hard. Xian's Avatar
    ouch. sounds expensive.

asshat hayden_horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hayden_horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hayden_horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hayden_horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hayden_horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hayden_horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hayden_horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hayden_horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hayden_horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hayden_horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hayden_horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hayden_horn's Avatar
    not as expensive as a structure fire.

always be cautious when there is smoke in your house. especially if your wife is in the kitchen.

Shouldn't be too expensive. I've had circuits replaced on this before and it didn't cost more than $600. They replaced the entire fan motor in the summer for $500.

asshat beer Shaggy Gold Club beer Shaggy Gold Club beer Shaggy Gold Club beer Shaggy Gold Club beer Shaggy Gold Club beer Shaggy Gold Club beer Shaggy Gold Club beer Shaggy Gold Club beer Shaggy Gold Club beer Shaggy Gold Club beer Shaggy Gold Club beer's Avatar
    Greater than 300 yards from an elementary school
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky
    What he said, or you've been taken over by the Soviet's.
    or north koreans, I would start by calling the state department and explain all of this to them. I think they will get it fixed for you.

+ Reply to Thread