+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How big of a brisket

How big of a brisket

I need to feed 8-9 people? How big of a brisket do I need.

And I know its probably buried in here somewhere.

asshat DieUCLA98 grows his own roses DieUCLA98 grows his own roses DieUCLA98 grows his own roses DieUCLA98 grows his own roses DieUCLA98 grows his own roses DieUCLA98 grows his own roses DieUCLA98 grows his own roses DieUCLA98 grows his own roses DieUCLA98 grows his own roses DieUCLA98 grows his own roses DieUCLA98 grows his own roses DieUCLA98's Avatar
    Roughly a pound or so under 1.5 uncooked lbs per person is the rule I follow (I'm not sure I have a reason for it, but it sounds good). So a 10-11 lbser will work well for you.

How many women/men are you feeding?

Edit: I'm also assuming you have other things for people to eat outside brisket.

asshat Brisketexan has a gigantic e-peen. Brisketexan has a gigantic e-peen. Brisketexan has a gigantic e-peen. Brisketexan has a gigantic e-peen. Brisketexan has a gigantic e-peen. Brisketexan has a gigantic e-peen. Brisketexan has a gigantic e-peen. Brisketexan has a gigantic e-peen. Brisketexan has a gigantic e-peen. Brisketexan has a gigantic e-peen. Brisketexan has a gigantic e-peen. Brisketexan's Avatar
    For a mixed crowd, I figure on 1/3 lb per person of cooked brisket. For just guys, make that 1/2 lb each.

A 12 lb brisket yields about 7 lbs of meat (edible meat weight is about 60% of the pre-cooked weight of a packer trimmed brisket). Thus, I can usuall feed 18-20 folks with an 11-12 lb brisket. If it's just guys, it's more like 12-15 people.

Thanks for the help. Will definitely have sides. Pretty even on men vs women and I'd definitely would want to cook a few lbs extra. If I am getting up at 5am and spending all day drinking I want leftovers.

asshat Brisketexan has a gigantic e-peen. Brisketexan has a gigantic e-peen. Brisketexan has a gigantic e-peen. Brisketexan has a gigantic e-peen. Brisketexan has a gigantic e-peen. Brisketexan has a gigantic e-peen. Brisketexan has a gigantic e-peen. Brisketexan has a gigantic e-peen. Brisketexan has a gigantic e-peen. Brisketexan has a gigantic e-peen. Brisketexan has a gigantic e-peen. Brisketexan's Avatar
    Your standard 12 lb or so brisket should do just fine. You'll have some leftovers . . . but not as much as you think.

True and my Romanian family in laws will probably go wild on it since they are coming down from nyc.

asshat Luke Duke might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Luke Duke might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Luke Duke might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Luke Duke might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Luke Duke might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Luke Duke might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Luke Duke might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Luke Duke might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Luke Duke might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Luke Duke might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Luke Duke might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Luke Duke's Avatar
    If you want a bunch of leftovers, throw a pork butt on the pit too.

I don't think my smoker is big enough for both but I do think I can do 3 racks of ribs while the brisket is in the oven.

• + Reply to Thread