+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Rain - 2015 edition

asshat irishtexan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? irishtexan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? irishtexan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? irishtexan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? irishtexan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? irishtexan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? irishtexan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? irishtexan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? irishtexan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? irishtexan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? irishtexan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? irishtexan's Avatar

Rain - 2015 edition

So, phd, whatta ya got? el nino?

getting a good bath throughout austin, as i drove from anderson and mopac down to william cannon and the rain seemed pretty constant throughout.

maybe we can have a full lake travis at some point this year?

asshat Lobwedgephil Shaggy Gold Club Lobwedgephil Shaggy Gold Club Lobwedgephil Shaggy Gold Club Lobwedgephil Shaggy Gold Club Lobwedgephil Shaggy Gold Club Lobwedgephil Shaggy Gold Club Lobwedgephil Shaggy Gold Club Lobwedgephil Shaggy Gold Club Lobwedgephil Shaggy Gold Club Lobwedgephil Shaggy Gold Club Lobwedgephil Shaggy Gold Club Lobwedgephil's Avatar
    Houston getting raped right now.

asshat Tailleur17 Shaggy Gold Club Tailleur17 Shaggy Gold Club Tailleur17 Shaggy Gold Club Tailleur17 Shaggy Gold Club Tailleur17 Shaggy Gold Club Tailleur17 Shaggy Gold Club Tailleur17 Shaggy Gold Club Tailleur17 Shaggy Gold Club Tailleur17 Shaggy Gold Club Tailleur17 Shaggy Gold Club Tailleur17 Shaggy Gold Club Tailleur17's Avatar
    Turd floater in 77007

asshat Lobwedgephil Shaggy Gold Club Lobwedgephil Shaggy Gold Club Lobwedgephil Shaggy Gold Club Lobwedgephil Shaggy Gold Club Lobwedgephil Shaggy Gold Club Lobwedgephil Shaggy Gold Club Lobwedgephil Shaggy Gold Club Lobwedgephil Shaggy Gold Club Lobwedgephil Shaggy Gold Club Lobwedgephil Shaggy Gold Club Lobwedgephil Shaggy Gold Club Lobwedgephil's Avatar

Ps Tapa can suck it.

wasn't expecting thunder with this but we got it for about 20 minutes. 78728.

asshat js Probably Shaggy Upper Class js Probably Shaggy Upper Class js Probably Shaggy Upper Class js Probably Shaggy Upper Class js Probably Shaggy Upper Class js Probably Shaggy Upper Class js Probably Shaggy Upper Class js Probably Shaggy Upper Class js Probably Shaggy Upper Class js Probably Shaggy Upper Class js Probably Shaggy Upper Class
    Getting tired of this already

Should help things.

bunghole apd183 grows his own roses apd183 grows his own roses apd183 grows his own roses apd183 grows his own roses apd183 grows his own roses apd183 grows his own roses apd183 grows his own roses apd183 grows his own roses apd183 grows his own roses apd183 grows his own roses apd183 grows his own roses apd183's Avatar
    .86" tonight, 1.52" since the new year started in 78753. That puts us only .4" under the January average. Good start to the year, hope it keeps up.

thundered hard, woke up wet

Choo Choo Motherfucker The_Reason might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? The_Reason might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? The_Reason might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? The_Reason might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? The_Reason might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? The_Reason might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? The_Reason might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? The_Reason might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? The_Reason might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? The_Reason might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? The_Reason might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? The_Reason's Avatar
    .96 inches overnight, and 1.75 over 2 days in 78745.

asshat phdhorn Probably Shaggy Upper Class phdhorn Probably Shaggy Upper Class phdhorn Probably Shaggy Upper Class phdhorn Probably Shaggy Upper Class phdhorn Probably Shaggy Upper Class phdhorn Probably Shaggy Upper Class phdhorn Probably Shaggy Upper Class phdhorn Probably Shaggy Upper Class phdhorn Probably Shaggy Upper Class phdhorn Probably Shaggy Upper Class phdhorn Probably Shaggy Upper Class phdhorn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by irishtexan View Post
    So, phd, whatta ya got? el nino?

getting a good bath throughout austin, as i drove from anderson and mopac down to william cannon and the rain seemed pretty constant throughout.

maybe we can have a full lake travis at some point this year?
    Yeah, I think this is sort of a result of a weak El Niņo. "Weak" means there's no guarantee of more rain vs. "strong". But one symptom of a decent El Niņo is cloudier days as the subtropical jet runs SW to NE from the Mexican Pacific over us into the Gulf States, and most of the past 2 weeks it has. Of course this pattern breaks occasionally, which it's kind of doing this week. However a sure symptom of El Niņo is cooler (not polar), damper weather, and that's exactly what's happening the past week into the next 1-2. Daytime temps 10 below norms, but few long freezes (Sunday night --> Monday big exception, get ready for that).

Also in a good El Niņo year zonal flow means storms come off the Pacific and generally move W --> E across the continent. However, they also can dip down into the 4 Corners and over, which is what this storm did. What that means in fighting terms is either California or Texas gets the most rain. Last month as you saw it was Cali, big time. However the last 2-3 storms have traced SE towards us and we get the rain, they don't as much.

All this means to me that the El Niņo is a bit "better" than the later forecasts, but not as strong as the first ones. Strong enough to give us some decent but not overflow rain. We'll see how it bears out. I don't think January is going to have many warm, dry, windy days like it can in La Niņa winters. We'll see. So far the forecasts for slightly cooler and slightly rainier have held up. But it's hard to know.

And, as you can see, winter thunderstorms are less likely but can easily happen, as this storm picked up a bunch of warm Gulf air and churned it up with the cold air. Long story short is thunderstorms need cold + warm mixing together with moisture which partly freezes, collides with warmer moisture (water), knocks electrons to the bottom of the cloud, protons to the top, they mix up due to winds in the clouds, and bam.

How many times did I cram "El Niņo" into this post?

Enough warm air rose over the cold surface front to do that with the energy this storm had.

Space Cadet RamjetFDO Probably Shaggy Upper Class RamjetFDO Probably Shaggy Upper Class RamjetFDO Probably Shaggy Upper Class RamjetFDO Probably Shaggy Upper Class RamjetFDO Probably Shaggy Upper Class RamjetFDO Probably Shaggy Upper Class RamjetFDO Probably Shaggy Upper Class RamjetFDO Probably Shaggy Upper Class RamjetFDO Probably Shaggy Upper Class RamjetFDO Probably Shaggy Upper Class RamjetFDO Probably Shaggy Upper Class RamjetFDO's Avatar
    Boarding the VIP private Space Ark to leave this pathetic little rock.
    Quote Originally Posted by phdhorn View Post
    How many times did I cram "El Niņo" into this post?.

/obligatory

Quote Originally Posted by Aereoplane View Post
    Uh, TMI?

asshat Bolverk has a gigantic e-peen. Bolverk has a gigantic e-peen. Bolverk has a gigantic e-peen. Bolverk has a gigantic e-peen. Bolverk has a gigantic e-peen. Bolverk has a gigantic e-peen. Bolverk has a gigantic e-peen. Bolverk has a gigantic e-peen. Bolverk has a gigantic e-peen. Bolverk has a gigantic e-peen. Bolverk has a gigantic e-peen. Bolverk's Avatar
    That's what she said.

asshat TOR Probably Shaggy Upper Class TOR Probably Shaggy Upper Class TOR Probably Shaggy Upper Class TOR Probably Shaggy Upper Class TOR Probably Shaggy Upper Class TOR Probably Shaggy Upper Class TOR Probably Shaggy Upper Class TOR Probably Shaggy Upper Class TOR Probably Shaggy Upper Class TOR Probably Shaggy Upper Class TOR Probably Shaggy Upper Class TOR's Avatar
    Did you accidentally wander into the Ranch Hill Saloon, also?

asshat HornzUp is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? HornzUp is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? HornzUp is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? HornzUp is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? HornzUp is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? HornzUp is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? HornzUp's Avatar
    Amarillo got a few inches of snow

2 cold fronts hitting Texas this week, but neither rain events looks like.

asshat Tex Pete Probably Shaggy Upper Class Tex Pete Probably Shaggy Upper Class Tex Pete Probably Shaggy Upper Class Tex Pete Probably Shaggy Upper Class Tex Pete Probably Shaggy Upper Class Tex Pete Probably Shaggy Upper Class Tex Pete Probably Shaggy Upper Class Tex Pete Probably Shaggy Upper Class Tex Pete Probably Shaggy Upper Class Tex Pete Probably Shaggy Upper Class Tex Pete Probably Shaggy Upper Class Tex Pete's Avatar
    Living off all my Super Bowl squares winnings!

Snow in Austin?

Usually Posts GIFs hornfan785 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hornfan785 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hornfan785 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hornfan785 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hornfan785 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hornfan785 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hornfan785 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hornfan785 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hornfan785 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hornfan785 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hornfan785 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hornfan785's Avatar

where did you find that? also PHD he might take your job.

asshat Bolverk has a gigantic e-peen. Bolverk has a gigantic e-peen. Bolverk has a gigantic e-peen. Bolverk has a gigantic e-peen. Bolverk has a gigantic e-peen. Bolverk has a gigantic e-peen. Bolverk has a gigantic e-peen. Bolverk has a gigantic e-peen. Bolverk has a gigantic e-peen. Bolverk has a gigantic e-peen. Bolverk has a gigantic e-peen. Bolverk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by workswithseed View Post
    where did you find that? also PHD he might take your job.
    Frankie is a very well known and loved character amongst the shaggy weatherdork crew (in which I myself).

asshat phdhorn Probably Shaggy Upper Class phdhorn Probably Shaggy Upper Class phdhorn Probably Shaggy Upper Class phdhorn Probably Shaggy Upper Class phdhorn Probably Shaggy Upper Class phdhorn Probably Shaggy Upper Class phdhorn Probably Shaggy Upper Class phdhorn Probably Shaggy Upper Class phdhorn Probably Shaggy Upper Class phdhorn Probably Shaggy Upper Class phdhorn Probably Shaggy Upper Class phdhorn's Avatar
    Oh yeah, Frankie's a favorite. On a level most of us can only hope to aspire to.

At 1:46 Frankie either says "order your pizzas" or "lower your $#@!es", both of which are sage pieces of advice.

Foul Mouthed Jerk Mikeinthebox might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Mikeinthebox might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Mikeinthebox might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Mikeinthebox might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Mikeinthebox might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Mikeinthebox might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Mikeinthebox might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Mikeinthebox might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Mikeinthebox might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Mikeinthebox might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Mikeinthebox might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Mikeinthebox's Avatar
    Last edited by Mikeinthebox; 01-10-2015 at 11:21 AM.

Foul Mouthed Jerk Mikeinthebox might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Mikeinthebox might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Mikeinthebox might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Mikeinthebox might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Mikeinthebox might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Mikeinthebox might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Mikeinthebox might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Mikeinthebox might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Mikeinthebox might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Mikeinthebox might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Mikeinthebox might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Mikeinthebox's Avatar
    Wintery mix in Austin?
    Last edited by Mikeinthebox; 01-10-2015 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Can't post radar screencap

asshat utee94 Shaggy Gold Club utee94 Shaggy Gold Club utee94 Shaggy Gold Club utee94 Shaggy Gold Club utee94 Shaggy Gold Club utee94 Shaggy Gold Club utee94 Shaggy Gold Club utee94 Shaggy Gold Club utee94 Shaggy Gold Club utee94 Shaggy Gold Club utee94 Shaggy Gold Club
    Just rain up here in the CP

Just heard some nice thunder.

if Frankie is a friend of shaggy he's a friend of mine.

Frankie is the best.

asshat NorthLoop Probably Shaggy Upper Class NorthLoop Probably Shaggy Upper Class NorthLoop Probably Shaggy Upper Class NorthLoop Probably Shaggy Upper Class NorthLoop Probably Shaggy Upper Class NorthLoop Probably Shaggy Upper Class NorthLoop Probably Shaggy Upper Class NorthLoop Probably Shaggy Upper Class NorthLoop Probably Shaggy Upper Class NorthLoop Probably Shaggy Upper Class NorthLoop Probably Shaggy Upper Class NorthLoop's Avatar
    dammit I gotta make a beer run

Quote Originally Posted by NorthLoop View Post

Quote Originally Posted by NorthLoop View Post
    Wonder if HEB is open.

asshat NorthLoop Probably Shaggy Upper Class NorthLoop Probably Shaggy Upper Class NorthLoop Probably Shaggy Upper Class NorthLoop Probably Shaggy Upper Class NorthLoop Probably Shaggy Upper Class NorthLoop Probably Shaggy Upper Class NorthLoop Probably Shaggy Upper Class NorthLoop Probably Shaggy Upper Class NorthLoop Probably Shaggy Upper Class NorthLoop Probably Shaggy Upper Class NorthLoop Probably Shaggy Upper Class NorthLoop's Avatar
    NoLo Food Store was... rain had stopped. Beer secure.

Trying to stain your deck while living in a city where rain is forecast at 20% every day gives me the strangest boner

And people in Paris think they have it rough

asshat irishtexan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? irishtexan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? irishtexan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? irishtexan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? irishtexan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? irishtexan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? irishtexan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? irishtexan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? irishtexan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? irishtexan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? irishtexan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? irishtexan's Avatar
    Sooooo..... I'm gonna either need it to rain, or for the sun to come out. Because this cold and overcast Portland weather is balls right now.

Quote Originally Posted by irishtexan View Post
    Sooooo..... I'm gonna either need it to rain, or for the sun to come out. Because this cold and overcast Portland weather is balls right now.
    No $#@!. Hate this stuff. Need a couple sunny days in the low 60s.

asshat Continental Op might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Continental Op might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Continental Op might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Continental Op might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Continental Op might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Continental Op might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Continental Op might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Continental Op might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Continental Op might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Continental Op might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Continental Op might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Continental Op's Avatar
    What's shaking as far as tomorrow night goes, phd?

As he said, check the weather. It will be spot on with this activity.

Austin: (most other TX cities about the same)

Wed. Rain starts sometime at or after sunset, probably by 9 or 10. Light.
    Thu. Overnight (about 3-8 a.m.) will be heaviest, and definitely going to rain, period. Some spots a good soaking, up to 2". Most of us at least half an inch, probably more. This is a nice, potent system, will pull in some Gulf moisture. Models show bullseye just east of AUS, but could be anywhere w/in 200 mile radius. Good rain. Thurs. day, rain slowly tapers off, but showers/light rain still likely most of day. Colder, like about 50. Just one of those cold, damp days.
    Fri. Rain spotty, continues overnight into Friday, then starts moving out during the day. Most of rain gone though, spotty, very scattered. Mostly clouds slowly clear, maybe some sun by end of day, maybe hit 50.
    Sat. Warmup begins again, more sun, trending into next week when it's going to be WARM. See other thread for that.

tl;dr: rain picks up Wed. night, peaks by early Thurs. a.m., then slowly decreases but is still around through early Friday,some good rain in most areas. Cool (45-50) all throughout. Dry warmup begins late Fri. into the weekend.

asshat tropheus Shaggy Gold Club tropheus Shaggy Gold Club tropheus Shaggy Gold Club tropheus Shaggy Gold Club tropheus Shaggy Gold Club tropheus Shaggy Gold Club tropheus Shaggy Gold Club tropheus Shaggy Gold Club tropheus Shaggy Gold Club tropheus Shaggy Gold Club tropheus Shaggy Gold Club
    it won't be west of Austin, we already know that. Austin and east/southeast are doing rather okay on rain totals especially when compared west. the lakes will never fill again. we are beyond gone at this point. duck tape and batteries from HEB are all that will save us.

asshat ihateowho Probably Shaggy Upper Class ihateowho Probably Shaggy Upper Class ihateowho Probably Shaggy Upper Class ihateowho Probably Shaggy Upper Class ihateowho Probably Shaggy Upper Class ihateowho Probably Shaggy Upper Class ihateowho Probably Shaggy Upper Class ihateowho Probably Shaggy Upper Class ihateowho Probably Shaggy Upper Class ihateowho Probably Shaggy Upper Class ihateowho Probably Shaggy Upper Class ihateowho's Avatar
    It's sad that the lakes have been so low for so long. I basically grew up on Lake Buchanan so I've seen it low, but never this low and for this long. My 6 year old son has never seen the lake full. When the lake is full, we can basically walk about 20 steps from the house and into the water. He's never swam in the lake because it's a 10 minute drive down to the water now.

Quote Originally Posted by tropheus View Post
    it won't be west of Austin, we already know that.
    Even if it were a direct bullseye on the exact place it needed to be for lake inflow, this system still won't make a difference, although it's a nice average-strong system.

The weather event that is needed to fill the lakes is almost impossible; one needed to make a dent (15 feet?) is about a 100-year event.

Yippee.

asshat AtomHeartBevo GORN AtomHeartBevo GORN AtomHeartBevo GORN AtomHeartBevo GORN AtomHeartBevo GORN AtomHeartBevo GORN AtomHeartBevo GORN AtomHeartBevo GORN AtomHeartBevo GORN AtomHeartBevo GORN AtomHeartBevo GORN AtomHeartBevo's Avatar
    I know it's not raining, but damn is it heavily misting in parts of Austin. Going to be a fun day.

And yeah, it's sinking in that my 2 year old will probably never see the lakes full.

asshat utee94 Shaggy Gold Club utee94 Shaggy Gold Club utee94 Shaggy Gold Club utee94 Shaggy Gold Club utee94 Shaggy Gold Club utee94 Shaggy Gold Club utee94 Shaggy Gold Club utee94 Shaggy Gold Club utee94 Shaggy Gold Club utee94 Shaggy Gold Club utee94 Shaggy Gold Club
    Even if it were a direct bullseye on the exact place it needed to be for lake inflow, this system still won't make a difference, although it's a nice average-strong system.

The weather event that is needed to fill the lakes is almost impossible; one needed to make a dent (15 feet?) is about a 100-year event.

Yippee.
    In 2010 it was a long series of rain events from September through February or so that filled up Travis from roughly the same as it is now, to completely full. I don't recall one massive event, just a string of really good sized ones. I'm certain the odds of so many events lining up are very low, but ya know, Never Tell Me The Odds.

Quote Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
    In 2010 it was a long series of rain events from September through February or so that filled up Travis from roughly the same as it is now, to completely full. I don't recall one massive event, just a string of really good sized ones. I'm certain the odds of so many events lining up are very low, but ya know, Never Tell Me The Odds.
    Lake Travis hasn't been this low in 60 years, and is without question going to eclipse and long pass by its record for low levels/amounts if our summer is hot/dry. The greatest the lake ever filled in one event was September, 1952, where the Lake rose 51 feet in 14 hours. Beyond that, the lake has never had a one-day fill of more than about 35 feet (though in 1991 probably would have gone more, but water went over the spillway for about 12 hours). And that's only 1-2 occasions.

The 1952 event was a subtropical wave that moved in from the Gulf... would have been a depression except for winds. Otherwise, the 1991 rise was due to 2 days of abnormally heavy rain just before Christmas, and the 1998 a strong system dropped about 8 inches of rain around the basin, resulting in a 10 foot Travis rise. In 2007 a "rain bomb" produced by the convergence of strong summer thunderstorm lines dropped 19 inches in Marble Falls, which went directly into the Lakes basin. But because this was so localized a rain, the lake only rose about 5 feet.

You're actually I believe thinking of one event- T.S. Hermine, which threw up to 6-13 inches of rain on most of the basin. The Lake rose about 15 feet, not the needed 50 feet now. That was the last time (Sept. 2010) the lake was at full, through that winter began to go down, and as we know by the fall of 2011 was almost half depleted (41%). Since then the lake has had a net fall of almost 40 more feet. Only the 1952 megarain would have filled it up from current levels.

Anyway, I don't want damage to people, but the "traditional" system coming through won't ever do it - they're not nearly strong nor big enough. You either need the freakish convergence of a series of fronts and stuff to drop $#@!loads for 5-6 days running, OR - and again I don't wish this on anyone - a tropical storm or hurricane causing massive, massive rain. But I'll take a decent one to get us 20-30 feet. I don't even wanna talk about if our summer is like one of the past 5 of 7 (the last 2 years were relatively tame). So I won't.

Before I go completely Debbie Downer on your asses, though, some good signs right now. First, it's been a wet winter (actually). The ground has a lot of water in it, and relatively low temps ensure it's that way in the spring (if it keeps up). That's good because a "wetter" ground can moderate spring/early summer temps, and in turn lessen the degree and length of killer highs later in the summer (it's all so.... complicated! If we'd have been having a really dry winter, that's a whole worse scenario. We're not.

The other good thing is this pattern of rain is at least a hope that the spring/summer WILL be rainy, or at least normal, not dry as $#@!. We can hope. Mid-term (i.e spring/summer) temp-precip forecasts not out yet, but through March the deal is slightly better chance of wetter than normal, about normal or just below temp wise. That's also good.

There have been some winters (thinking esp. of 2011) when we got almost nothing rainwise, and temps were often in the 70's and into the 80 range in parts of the heart of winter. That's not happening either.

So, we can hope.

Lake Travis hasn't been this low in 60 years, and is without question going to eclipse and long pass by its record for low levels/amounts if our summer is hot/dry. The greatest the lake ever filled in one event was September, 1952, where the Lake rose 51 feet in 14 hours. Beyond that, the lake has never had a one-day fill of more than about 35 feet (though in 1991 probably would have gone more, but water went over the spillway for about 12 hours). And that's only 1-2 occasions.

The 1952 event was a subtropical wave that moved in from the Gulf... would have been a depression except for winds. Otherwise, the 1991 rise was due to 2 days of abnormally heavy rain just before Christmas, and the 1998 a strong system dropped about 8 inches of rain around the basin, resulting in a 10 foot Travis rise. In 2007 a "rain bomb" produced by the convergence of strong summer thunderstorm lines dropped 19 inches in Marble Falls, which went directly into the Lakes basin. But because this was so localized a rain, the lake only rose about 5 feet.

You're actually I believe thinking of one event- T.S. Hermine, which threw up to 6-13 inches of rain on most of the basin. The Lake rose about 15 feet, not the needed 50 feet now. That was the last time (Sept. 2010) the lake was at full, through that winter began to go down, and as we know by the fall of 2011 was almost half depleted (41%). Since then the lake has had a net fall of almost 40 more feet. Only the 1952 megarain would have filled it up from current levels.

Anyway, I don't want damage to people, but the "traditional" system coming through won't ever do it - they're not nearly strong nor big enough. You either need the freakish convergence of a series of fronts and stuff to drop $#@!loads for 5-6 days running, OR - and again I don't wish this on anyone - a tropical storm or hurricane causing massive, massive rain. But I'll take a decent one to get us 20-30 feet. I don't even wanna talk about if our summer is like one of the past 5 of 7 (the last 2 years were relatively tame). So I won't.
    I'm not disagreeing with your general idea, but in October of 2009 Lake Travis was down to 629.74, which obviously isn't as low as it is currently but it's in the same ballpark.

By April of 2010 it was full again and peaking at 682.10. It wasn't one cataclysmic event that did it, just a series of abnormally rainy months.

I'm not counting on that happening again, but my point was, it HAS happened before.

asshat Blain Probably Shaggy Upper Class Blain Probably Shaggy Upper Class Blain Probably Shaggy Upper Class Blain Probably Shaggy Upper Class Blain Probably Shaggy Upper Class Blain Probably Shaggy Upper Class Blain Probably Shaggy Upper Class Blain Probably Shaggy Upper Class Blain Probably Shaggy Upper Class Blain Probably Shaggy Upper Class Blain Probably Shaggy Upper Class Blain's Avatar
    And it will happen again, at some point.

asshat Orange&White might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Orange&White might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Orange&White might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Orange&White might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Orange&White might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Orange&White might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Orange&White might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Orange&White might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Orange&White might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Orange&White might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Orange&White might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Orange&White's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
    I'm not disagreeing with your general idea, but in October of 2009 Lake Travis was down to 629.74, which obviously isn't as low as it is currently but it's in the same ballpark.

By April of 2010 it was full again and peaking at 682.10. It wasn't one cataclysmic event that did it, just a series of abnormally rainy months.

I'm not counting on that happening again, but my point was, it HAS happened before.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by Blain View Post
    And it will happen again, at some point.
    And this.

• + Reply to Thread
    Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast