+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 79 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Report: Apple unveiling new iPhone in September

Uncle Tom Rocko20 Probably Shaggy Upper Class Rocko20 Probably Shaggy Upper Class Rocko20 Probably Shaggy Upper Class Rocko20 Probably Shaggy Upper Class Rocko20 Probably Shaggy Upper Class Rocko20 Probably Shaggy Upper Class Rocko20 Probably Shaggy Upper Class Rocko20 Probably Shaggy Upper Class Rocko20 Probably Shaggy Upper Class Rocko20 Probably Shaggy Upper Class Rocko20 Probably Shaggy Upper Class Rocko20's Avatar

Report: Apple unveiling new iPhone in September

If you're a fan of Apple, mark September 10 on your calendar. That's when the company is reportedly unveiling the next iPhone.

According to All Things D, Apple is hosting an event next month where the company is expected to reveal its latest smartphone.

Naturally, the weeks leading up to the reported reveal have been filled with countless rumors on what consumers can expect from the next iPhone. Rumors range from a lower-cost model to appeal to more consumers to a device equipped with fingerprint sensor.

The reported event arrives as Apple continues to cede ground to several strong competitors, most notably Samsung and its Galaxy S series as well as the army of devices running Google's Android operating system. According to IDC, nearly 80% of the smartphones shipped last quarter ran on Android.

However, the introduction of a new iPhone could spark an Apple rebound. "With a new iPhone and revamped iOS coming out later this year, Apple is well-positioned to re-capture market share," says IDC research manager Ramon Llamas.
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/p...ember/2640021/

asshat phdhorn Probably Shaggy Upper Class phdhorn Probably Shaggy Upper Class phdhorn Probably Shaggy Upper Class phdhorn Probably Shaggy Upper Class phdhorn Probably Shaggy Upper Class phdhorn Probably Shaggy Upper Class phdhorn Probably Shaggy Upper Class phdhorn Probably Shaggy Upper Class phdhorn Probably Shaggy Upper Class phdhorn Probably Shaggy Upper Class phdhorn Probably Shaggy Upper Class phdhorn's Avatar
    Might be okay, but I still get the feeling that without Jobs, who really was inseparably Apple, the company is on a collision course with bankruptcy within a decade.

Well crap. Here I just learned how to use my new IPhone 4 to read Shaggy via the Safari thing.

asshat Francisco Scaramonga Shaggy Gold Club Francisco Scaramonga Shaggy Gold Club Francisco Scaramonga Shaggy Gold Club Francisco Scaramonga Shaggy Gold Club Francisco Scaramonga Shaggy Gold Club Francisco Scaramonga Shaggy Gold Club Francisco Scaramonga Shaggy Gold Club Francisco Scaramonga Shaggy Gold Club Francisco Scaramonga Shaggy Gold Club Francisco Scaramonga Shaggy Gold Club Francisco Scaramonga Shaggy Gold Club Francisco Scaramonga's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by phdhorn View Post
    Might be okay, but I still get the feeling that without Jobs, who really was inseparably Apple, the company is on a collision course with bankruptcy within a decade.
    While history is littered with companies that have seen their fortunes disappear, I don't think that fate awaits Apple, even with losing their visionary. If they survived the late 90's without going having to file banktruptcy....

They have more cash than any business in the world, their retail stores have the highest sales per square foot, and they have minuscule debt.

When Apple starts to close their retail stores...thats a sign that things are not going too well....

asshat jose_medina_de_jesus can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. jose_medina_de_jesus can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. jose_medina_de_jesus can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. jose_medina_de_jesus can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. jose_medina_de_jesus can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. jose_medina_de_jesus can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. jose_medina_de_jesus can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. jose_medina_de_jesus can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. jose_medina_de_jesus can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. jose_medina_de_jesus can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. jose_medina_de_jesus can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. jose_medina_de_jesus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Francisco Scaramonga View Post
    While history is littered with companies that have seen their fortunes disappear, I don't think that fate awaits Apple, even with losing their visionary. If they survived the late 90's without going having to file banktruptcy....

They have more cash than any business in the world, their stores have the highest sales per square foot, and they have minuscule debt.

When Apple starts to close their retail stores...thats a sign that things are not going too well....
    It's hard to say, apple has a cult like no other, aggy excluded. But the casual user is who has kept apple head and shoulders over the competition. It's obvious they are losings those casual users to android. But, the cult fans will stay with them for a long while. We are talking about people who have been gouged at the register for years now. Yet they continue to do silly $#@! like pay 100$ to beta test the new ios. At some point those folks will feel alienated by the church that Jobs built. It's just hard to say when that will be.

asshat Parliament has a gigantic e-peen. Parliament has a gigantic e-peen. Parliament has a gigantic e-peen. Parliament has a gigantic e-peen. Parliament has a gigantic e-peen. Parliament has a gigantic e-peen. Parliament has a gigantic e-peen. Parliament has a gigantic e-peen. Parliament has a gigantic e-peen. Parliament has a gigantic e-peen. Parliament has a gigantic e-peen. Parliament's Avatar
    What kind of revolutionary technology will it feature? A bigger screen? A new charger?
    Last edited by Parliament; 08-11-2013 at 10:47 AM.

asshat Surly Bevo has a gigantic e-peen. Surly Bevo has a gigantic e-peen. Surly Bevo has a gigantic e-peen. Surly Bevo has a gigantic e-peen. Surly Bevo has a gigantic e-peen. Surly Bevo has a gigantic e-peen. Surly Bevo has a gigantic e-peen. Surly Bevo has a gigantic e-peen. Surly Bevo has a gigantic e-peen. Surly Bevo has a gigantic e-peen. Surly Bevo has a gigantic e-peen. Surly Bevo's Avatar
    This feels rushed given previous schedules for major changes. 5 just came out a year ago right?

asshat Francisco Scaramonga Shaggy Gold Club Francisco Scaramonga Shaggy Gold Club Francisco Scaramonga Shaggy Gold Club Francisco Scaramonga Shaggy Gold Club Francisco Scaramonga Shaggy Gold Club Francisco Scaramonga Shaggy Gold Club Francisco Scaramonga Shaggy Gold Club Francisco Scaramonga Shaggy Gold Club Francisco Scaramonga Shaggy Gold Club Francisco Scaramonga Shaggy Gold Club Francisco Scaramonga Shaggy Gold Club Francisco Scaramonga's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Surly Bevo View Post
    This feels rushed given previous schedules for major changes. 5 just came out a year ago right?
    Nope...on schedule. A new phone a year.

asshat Surly Bevo has a gigantic e-peen. Surly Bevo has a gigantic e-peen. Surly Bevo has a gigantic e-peen. Surly Bevo has a gigantic e-peen. Surly Bevo has a gigantic e-peen. Surly Bevo has a gigantic e-peen. Surly Bevo has a gigantic e-peen. Surly Bevo has a gigantic e-peen. Surly Bevo has a gigantic e-peen. Surly Bevo has a gigantic e-peen. Surly Bevo has a gigantic e-peen. Surly Bevo's Avatar
    Nope...on schedule. A new phone a year.
    Yea but then isn't that usually just minor $#@!. Like 4 to 4S...they usually make the major leaps once every two years right?

White Mexican LongIslandIceSIP might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? LongIslandIceSIP might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? LongIslandIceSIP might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? LongIslandIceSIP might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? LongIslandIceSIP might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? LongIslandIceSIP might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? LongIslandIceSIP might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? LongIslandIceSIP might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? LongIslandIceSIP might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? LongIslandIceSIP might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? LongIslandIceSIP might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? LongIslandIceSIP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post
    Well crap. Here I just learned how to use my new IPhone 4 to read Shaggy via the Safari thing.
    Use the Tapatalk app for shaggy! Much better than safari.

asshat jose_medina_de_jesus can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. jose_medina_de_jesus can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. jose_medina_de_jesus can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. jose_medina_de_jesus can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. jose_medina_de_jesus can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. jose_medina_de_jesus can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. jose_medina_de_jesus can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. jose_medina_de_jesus can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. jose_medina_de_jesus can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. jose_medina_de_jesus can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. jose_medina_de_jesus can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. jose_medina_de_jesus's Avatar
    But, its a single device line of phones. The lack of apple options is what has kept people spending money. If you want the latest device, you have to keep shelling out the cash. Because, it is a single device line, they can pop a new product out pretty quickly. As opposed to say Samsung who has a dozen or so new devices released every year.

White Mexican LongIslandIceSIP might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? LongIslandIceSIP might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? LongIslandIceSIP might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? LongIslandIceSIP might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? LongIslandIceSIP might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? LongIslandIceSIP might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? LongIslandIceSIP might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? LongIslandIceSIP might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? LongIslandIceSIP might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? LongIslandIceSIP might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? LongIslandIceSIP might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? LongIslandIceSIP's Avatar
    Btw, the "new" iPhone will be the iPhone 5c. A cheaper version of the iPhone 5. For the masses.

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandIceSIP View Post
    Btw, the "new" iPhone will be the iPhone 5c. A cheaper version of the iPhone 5. For the masses.
    Probably add supported.
    I've heard that. My question is, is this the move that alienates then long time fanboy. Allowing poors to have Iphones will remove the aire of exclusivity.

Yea but then isn't that usually just minor $#@!. Like 4 to 4S...they usually make the major leaps once every two years right?
    Right.

This year isn't going to be a major leap, other than the rumored changes. It doesn't mean the this years version will not have a lot of changes; just the exterior will be the same. Case in point 4 vs 4S. Everything about the 4S was new, except the display and the back. Even the stainless ring around the 4S was different.

Some of the Apple rumor sites believe the 5S will have:

-New processor
    -New display
    -More RAM
    -improved cameras
    -biometric (fingerprint) scanner
    -New battery
    -New motherboard

Other than the possibility of the fingerprint scanner, none of that is particularly sexy or something that is noticeable. But that is Apple's MO. They just make incremental changes.

Quote Originally Posted by jose_medina_de_jesus View Post
    Probably add supported.
    I've heard that. My question is, is this the move that alienates then long time fanboy. Allowing poors to have Iphones will remove the aire of exclusivity.
    You know you can already get an iPhone for free? The poors were included years ago.

Besides, the fanboy market has been surpassed by the general public market. Hell, my inlaws and my mom have iPhones. All are near 70. Not sure if they qualify as a fanboy.

asshat MNLonghorn10 Probably Shaggy Upper Class MNLonghorn10 Probably Shaggy Upper Class MNLonghorn10 Probably Shaggy Upper Class MNLonghorn10 Probably Shaggy Upper Class MNLonghorn10 Probably Shaggy Upper Class MNLonghorn10 Probably Shaggy Upper Class MNLonghorn10 Probably Shaggy Upper Class MNLonghorn10 Probably Shaggy Upper Class MNLonghorn10 Probably Shaggy Upper Class MNLonghorn10 Probably Shaggy Upper Class MNLonghorn10 Probably Shaggy Upper Class MNLonghorn10's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Parliament View Post
    What kind of revolutionary technology will it feature? A bigger screen? A new charger?

live wallpaper, better screen, better camera. custom launchers.

Banned FCHorn Probably Shaggy Upper Class FCHorn Probably Shaggy Upper Class FCHorn Probably Shaggy Upper Class FCHorn Probably Shaggy Upper Class FCHorn Probably Shaggy Upper Class FCHorn Probably Shaggy Upper Class FCHorn Probably Shaggy Upper Class FCHorn Probably Shaggy Upper Class FCHorn Probably Shaggy Upper Class FCHorn Probably Shaggy Upper Class FCHorn Probably Shaggy Upper Class
    Can you imagine if soldiers in WW2 had iPhones?

asshat TJ Probably Shaggy Upper Class TJ Probably Shaggy Upper Class TJ Probably Shaggy Upper Class TJ Probably Shaggy Upper Class TJ Probably Shaggy Upper Class TJ Probably Shaggy Upper Class TJ Probably Shaggy Upper Class TJ Probably Shaggy Upper Class TJ Probably Shaggy Upper Class TJ Probably Shaggy Upper Class TJ Probably Shaggy Upper Class TJ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FCHorn View Post
    I'd follow all their Instagrams!

You know you can already get an iPhone for free? The poors were included years ago.

Besides, the fanboy market has been surpassed by the general public market. Hell, my inlaws and my mom have iPhones. All are near 70. Not sure if they qualify as a fanboy.
    You can get the old model for free....... Don't act like you can go out and get a 5 for free.
    Read my prior posts in this thread. Alienating fanboysb is what will sink apple.

Quote Originally Posted by FCHorn View Post
    They would have been lost all the $#@!ing time? Gotdam apple maps.

Quote Originally Posted by jose_medina_de_jesus View Post
    You can get the old model for free....... Don't act like you can go out and get a 5 for free.
    Read my prior posts in this thread. Alienating fanboysb is what will sink apple.
    Right...you can get previous iPhones for free, not the latest. But that's true of all smartphones...you can't get a Galaxy S4 for free, either.

But alienating fanbois isn't going to sink Apple. Their market is now much, much larger. Back to my inlaws and mother for an example; next time you are at a restaurant, or at a store...see if you can notice how many older folks are carrying iPhones now...or how many other folks there are that would never be classified a fanboy that is carrying an Apple phone.

There are far fewer Apple fanboys now than there are members of the general public carrying iPhones.

Apple will be fine. Their growth rate is just going to suffer. They make good phones. The general public just doesn't change phones as often as Apple would like. The 4 was successful and most won't change for 2-3 years and might wait until the 6. Mostly because of time and not design changes.

The 4s was only hugely successful because of Jobs death. If they release a 5s with a mediocre iOS update and the rumored fingerprint sensor, it will receive a lukewarm reception. But it will still sell well by industry standard.

asshat 0xdeadbeef is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. 0xdeadbeef is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. 0xdeadbeef is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. 0xdeadbeef is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. 0xdeadbeef is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. 0xdeadbeef is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. 0xdeadbeef is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. 0xdeadbeef is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. 0xdeadbeef is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. 0xdeadbeef is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. 0xdeadbeef is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. 0xdeadbeef's Avatar
    Right now Apple is a phone company that makes some other products. Their problem is their phones no longer stand out from the crowd. The latest high end android phones can match them in every way. Unless they can invent the next magical device, their market share, profit margins, and revenue will continue slide. I just can't see some minor innovation in an iphone 5S really doing much to stop their slide. Bigger screen, fingerprint reader, new iOS version, better camera, Meh. Who cares.

If they don't have a new device soon, they will be squeezed into a small niche player

asshat MNLonghorn10 Probably Shaggy Upper Class MNLonghorn10 Probably Shaggy Upper Class MNLonghorn10 Probably Shaggy Upper Class MNLonghorn10 Probably Shaggy Upper Class MNLonghorn10 Probably Shaggy Upper Class MNLonghorn10 Probably Shaggy Upper Class MNLonghorn10 Probably Shaggy Upper Class MNLonghorn10 Probably Shaggy Upper Class MNLonghorn10 Probably Shaggy Upper Class MNLonghorn10 Probably Shaggy Upper Class MNLonghorn10 Probably Shaggy Upper Class MNLonghorn10's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 0xdeadbeef View Post
    Right now Apple is a phone company that makes some other products. Their problem is their phones no longer stand out from the crowd. The latest high end android phones can match them in every way. Unless they can invent the next magical device, their market share, profit margins, and revenue will continue slide. I just can't see some minor innovation in an iphone 5S really doing much to stop their slide. Bigger screen, fingerprint reader, new iOS version, better camera, Meh. Who cares.

If they don't have a new device soon, they will be squeezed into a small niche player
    i think you mean the androids from 2011 match them in every way.

bass guy Horn in one might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Horn in one might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Horn in one might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Horn in one might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Horn in one might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Horn in one might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Horn in one might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Horn in one might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Horn in one might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Horn in one might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Horn in one might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Horn in one's Avatar
    -New processor
    -New display
    -More RAM
    -improved cameras
    -biometric (fingerprint) scanner
    -New battery
    -New motherboard
    How much better of a battery are you talking about? The battery in the 5 leaves much to be desired.

I think the word fanboi on this thread is hilarious. There's some pretty strong antiboi going on as well.

asshat TJ Probably Shaggy Upper Class TJ Probably Shaggy Upper Class TJ Probably Shaggy Upper Class TJ Probably Shaggy Upper Class TJ Probably Shaggy Upper Class TJ Probably Shaggy Upper Class TJ Probably Shaggy Upper Class TJ Probably Shaggy Upper Class TJ Probably Shaggy Upper Class TJ Probably Shaggy Upper Class TJ Probably Shaggy Upper Class TJ's Avatar
    I'm not too privy to Apple's corporate roadmap but I will say I'm a bit surprised they haven't rolled out more of their cloud services. I believe they could really rake it in on monthly subscription revenue. Obviously streaming music appears to be a money loser but one would think Apple could muscle some of the copyright owners into more agreeable terms than whatever, say, Spotify is enduring -- get some sort of $10 or $15/mo. streaming deal for endusers.

For me, iCloud is a loser against something like Dropbox but if it weren't, throw a $5 or $10/mo. price tag on extra storage.

Keychain is a loser against solutions like LastPass, which I happily pay something stupid like $2/year to help me generate, store, and sync passwords between all my accounts and devices. If Apple offered some reasonable native solution for that, I'd happily pay more.

Apple's slide, for me, isn't so much with the hardware as it is their weak services. Unless something turns around soon, I think there are likely some folks over in Cupertino who need a good kick in the $#@! and a pink slip.

asshat phdhorn Probably Shaggy Upper Class phdhorn Probably Shaggy Upper Class phdhorn Probably Shaggy Upper Class phdhorn Probably Shaggy Upper Class phdhorn Probably Shaggy Upper Class phdhorn Probably Shaggy Upper Class phdhorn Probably Shaggy Upper Class phdhorn Probably Shaggy Upper Class phdhorn Probably Shaggy Upper Class phdhorn Probably Shaggy Upper Class phdhorn Probably Shaggy Upper Class phdhorn's Avatar
    Of course you might be right, but if you look at Apple's fortunes, they coincide almost exactly with Jobs' fortunes as well at Apple. Jobs was on the Macintosh team, while the winning "Lisa" team introduced their first commercial product - which was a huge flop. Jobs' team then released their Mac in the 80's were spearheaded by Jobs, and when they started branching out trying tin 84 which got the company their first huge profits. Jobs also helped market the release of the LaserWriters and PostScript printers, along with making the first deals with powerful Mac-centered apps (PageMaker, FileMaker, etc.) which cemented the Mac as THE desktop machine in the late 80's. When infighting broke out and John Scully (ordered by Apple's Board to "contain" the seen-as-gadfly Jobs), and Scully took over by 1986, Apple's products and fortunes initially did well (developing products Jobs largely advocated), but with Jobs booted out, Apple's fortunes plummeted and they were lost by 1995. During this time, they came close to going out of business, in fact. Once Jobs was rehired by Apple after its purchasing of Jobs' successful NExT company by 1997, the whirring mind of Jobs started pushing Apple again. He became CEO again and pointed his way toward This was led by Jobs' iMac, iTunes, the first Apple Stores, and of course the iPhone (he worked intensely with Jonathan Ive to secure iMac and iPhone design). Once again, Jobs gave direction to what had been Apple's random spitting out of "gimmicks" into real technological "wants and needs".

You can almost draw a parallel line between Apple's fortunes and Jobs' tenures. And that's the problem. It's as if Apple is one man's mind realized in a corporation. Lots of people can invent stuff, but Jobs seemed to have had an incredible ability to either foresee a market for something or even try to create one.

I just read an article where the heavies at Apple are already expressing this concern.. can they target innovate without Jobs? RIght now he left a strong, huge tech player but it remains to be seen if the company can conintue to prosper without his vision. It managed to for a few years after his first ousting, and for a few years before he got going again (by 1998) but I don't know.

Other companies have survived similar "grow beyond the founder" transitions (I think of Kodak for one, McDonald's for another), but since the tech industry is so up and down so quickly, it'll be interesting to watch.

Apple is going to have to produce something entirely new, not just better iPhones, to survive. And I'm not sure anyone there really knows what that might be. I doubt Jobs wouldn't already have several prototypes by now of stuff you'd never think would fill those bills, but eventually does.

asshat Blank Probably Shaggy Upper Class Blank Probably Shaggy Upper Class Blank Probably Shaggy Upper Class Blank Probably Shaggy Upper Class Blank Probably Shaggy Upper Class Blank Probably Shaggy Upper Class Blank Probably Shaggy Upper Class Blank Probably Shaggy Upper Class Blank Probably Shaggy Upper Class Blank Probably Shaggy Upper Class Blank Probably Shaggy Upper Class
    Quote Originally Posted by MNLonghorn10 View Post
    live wallpaper, better screen, better camera. custom launchers.
    Custom shoulder launchers for the Ijihad.

asshat MaduroUTMB GORN MaduroUTMB GORN MaduroUTMB GORN MaduroUTMB GORN MaduroUTMB GORN MaduroUTMB GORN MaduroUTMB GORN MaduroUTMB GORN MaduroUTMB GORN MaduroUTMB GORN MaduroUTMB GORN MaduroUTMB's Avatar
    I can change the battery in my SGSIII (a replacement costs about $5 on Amazon) in about a minute. Most of that time is removing/replacing the protective case. If the iPhone doesn't have that feature, it's still inferior. I also like the fact that I can hook any DAC that I want up to the USB out.

Do any of you people use your cell phones to make actual live voice telephone calls any more?

asshat Orange&White GORN Orange&White GORN Orange&White GORN Orange&White GORN Orange&White GORN Orange&White GORN Orange&White GORN Orange&White GORN Orange&White GORN Orange&White GORN Orange&White GORN Orange&White's Avatar
    Do any of you people use your cell phones to make actual live voice telephone calls any more?
    Rarely. I hate talking on the phone. Easily the most underutilized feature of my "phone".

can't wait till Samsung makes a better version of it.

All the time, but often not as much as, say, five years ago.

asshat mdmost Probably Shaggy Upper Class mdmost Probably Shaggy Upper Class mdmost Probably Shaggy Upper Class mdmost Probably Shaggy Upper Class mdmost Probably Shaggy Upper Class mdmost Probably Shaggy Upper Class mdmost Probably Shaggy Upper Class mdmost Probably Shaggy Upper Class mdmost Probably Shaggy Upper Class mdmost Probably Shaggy Upper Class mdmost Probably Shaggy Upper Class mdmost's Avatar
    I can't think of the last time we've used our landline to make a phone call. I'm almost good on convincing the wife to drop that line altogether. It's $36 we don't need to waste anymore money on. Wife's only fear in dropping it is if there is a disaster of some kind and cell towers get jammed. Of course she fails to realize that if the power is out, our handheld for the landline isn't going to work. Logic and $#@!. So if someone wants to get ahold of me, they have to call the cell. Of course the only people who do that are my parents who are in their 70s. They have cells but won't text even if their lives depended on it.
    Last edited by mdmost; 08-11-2013 at 03:52 PM.

asshat YChang is a rep whore. YChang is a rep whore. YChang is a rep whore. YChang is a rep whore. YChang is a rep whore. YChang is a rep whore. YChang is a rep whore. YChang is a rep whore. YChang is a rep whore. YChang is a rep whore. YChang is a rep whore. YChang's Avatar
    If it's not a big leap forward I think I'll explore Android phones... the HTC One and Moto X both seem really intriguing.

Of course she fails to realize that if the power is out, our handheld for the landline isn't going to work. Logic and $#@!
    You can always get an old rotary or touchtone phone for backup. They work without power

asshat WBT might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? WBT might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? WBT might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? WBT might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? WBT might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? WBT might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? WBT might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? WBT might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? WBT might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? WBT might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? WBT might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge?
    Quote Originally Posted by mdmost View Post
    Of course she fails to realize that if the power is out, our handheld for the landline isn't going to work.
    lulwat?

Now if the phone lines go down, you're sol

asshat Orange&White GORN Orange&White GORN Orange&White GORN Orange&White GORN Orange&White GORN Orange&White GORN Orange&White GORN Orange&White GORN Orange&White GORN Orange&White GORN Orange&White GORN Orange&White's Avatar
    I just read yesterday that 36% of American adults have cell phones and no land line phones. 8% of Americans have land lines and no mobiles.

asshat mdmost Probably Shaggy Upper Class mdmost Probably Shaggy Upper Class mdmost Probably Shaggy Upper Class mdmost Probably Shaggy Upper Class mdmost Probably Shaggy Upper Class mdmost Probably Shaggy Upper Class mdmost Probably Shaggy Upper Class mdmost Probably Shaggy Upper Class mdmost Probably Shaggy Upper Class mdmost Probably Shaggy Upper Class mdmost Probably Shaggy Upper Class mdmost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EuroHorn View Post
    You can always get an old rotary or touchtone phone for backup. They work without power
    Quote Originally Posted by WBT View Post
    lulwat?

Now if the phone lines go down, you're sol
    True and we had a non-handheld at one point but ditched it for handhelds. I think I've almost moved her when I bring up that her scenario has less than 1% chance of ever happening. So $456 a year to have something as insurance on something that has less than a 1% chance of occurring?

asshat The University might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? The University might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? The University might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? The University might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? The University might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? The University might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? The University might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? The University might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? The University might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? The University might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? The University might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? The University's Avatar
    cook is planning to bring back woz and will revive the apple2 line.

asshat jtk1519 is a rep whore. jtk1519 is a rep whore. jtk1519 is a rep whore. jtk1519 is a rep whore. jtk1519 is a rep whore. jtk1519 is a rep whore. jtk1519 is a rep whore. jtk1519 is a rep whore. jtk1519 is a rep whore. jtk1519 is a rep whore. jtk1519 is a rep whore. jtk1519's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by freyguy View Post
    They did. It came out about three months ago.

Also, the 5c will have a plastic body, to make it cheaper.

So it _wont_ look like the 5

Everyday. We don't have a home phone.

Also, at work we don't have office phones either. We have a cloud based answering system that routes calls to the intended person's cell phone. (and work reimburses all cellphone bills)

There will be a 5s and a 5c. 4s and 5 will be totally gone. 5s will be spec bump over 5 while 5c will use cheaper components/case and will have a total price that doesn't require subsidy and can be utilized in cheaper markets as well as the "I don't need the newest one" crowd here.

Pay me your $9.95 and gtfo.

asshat Parliament has a gigantic e-peen. Parliament has a gigantic e-peen. Parliament has a gigantic e-peen. Parliament has a gigantic e-peen. Parliament has a gigantic e-peen. Parliament has a gigantic e-peen. Parliament has a gigantic e-peen. Parliament has a gigantic e-peen. Parliament has a gigantic e-peen. Parliament has a gigantic e-peen. Parliament has a gigantic e-peen. Parliament's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange&White View Post
    Rarely. I hate talking on the phone. Easily the most underutilized feature of my "phone".
    No joke. I recently asked a friend if I could borrow his phone to make a call. He handed me a Razor flip phone, circa 2002. I was AMAZED how easy it was to make a call. Dial, hit send, profit.

Once your mom starts using it, it's not cool. Samsung hit the nail on the head with that commercial showing dude's parents in "the line for apps".

I ditched my landline in 2004. Only had it then for direct TV or something. WTF do people use them for now?

Quote Originally Posted by Parliament View Post
    No joke. I recently asked a friend if I could borrow his phone to make a call. He handed me a Razor flip phone, circa 2002. I was AMAZED how easy it was to make a call. Dial, hit send, profit.
    and you could drop it 50 times and not make a dent in the screen. those were the days. now, if you get off the couch and it lands on carpet...you look close to find any kind of crack thatll spider down the road.

Originally Posted by freyguy

They did. It came out about three months ago.

I know, I was trying to give them a chance. They're cute when they get all excited and $#@!.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruffian View Post
    Once your mom starts using it, it's not cool. Samsung hit the nail on the head with that commercial showing dude's parents in "the line for apps".

I ditched my landline in 2004. Only had it then for direct TV or something. WTF do people use them for now?
    The only thing they are good for is, having a public number that telemarketers can call.

• + Reply to Thread
    Page 1 of 79 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 ... LastLast