+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to fix a bent basketball rim? (FIXED)

asshat William Cannon slams and goes hard. William Cannon slams and goes hard. William Cannon slams and goes hard. William Cannon slams and goes hard. William Cannon slams and goes hard. William Cannon slams and goes hard. William Cannon slams and goes hard. William Cannon slams and goes hard. William Cannon slams and goes hard. William Cannon slams and goes hard. William Cannon slams and goes hard. William Cannon's Avatar
    the first place we could see, servin' cold beer in the shade

How to fix a bent basketball rim? (FIXED)

Our basketball goal fell over on it's face from a bad windstorm and bent the rim into sort of an oval. Any ideas on how to bend it back? It doesn't need to be perfect, just better than what it is now.

Thanks in advance,
    WC

i'd use a clamp and place it on the wide part and slowly bend those sides in.

asshat judge roybeanbag GORN judge roybeanbag GORN judge roybeanbag GORN judge roybeanbag GORN judge roybeanbag GORN judge roybeanbag GORN judge roybeanbag GORN judge roybeanbag GORN judge roybeanbag GORN judge roybeanbag GORN judge roybeanbag GORN judge roybeanbag's Avatar
    That happened to mine when I was a teenager. We heated it up with a cutting torch and hammered it back.

If you don't have a cutting torch, try using a car jack. Put it in between the sides that are squished, and slowly jack it (no homo) until it starts to bend back into place.

good call on the car jack.

asshat judge roybeanbag GORN judge roybeanbag GORN judge roybeanbag GORN judge roybeanbag GORN judge roybeanbag GORN judge roybeanbag GORN judge roybeanbag GORN judge roybeanbag GORN judge roybeanbag GORN judge roybeanbag GORN judge roybeanbag GORN judge roybeanbag's Avatar
    good call on the car jack
    I thought that one up the time my wife's friend ran off our culvert and bent it. We had to get her damned car out with my tractor.

i was trying to find a reverse clamp online but couldnt. guess what a car jack is?!? a reverse clamp. hahaha.

Hipster Rights Advocate texassax Shaggy Gold Club texassax Shaggy Gold Club texassax Shaggy Gold Club texassax Shaggy Gold Club texassax Shaggy Gold Club texassax Shaggy Gold Club texassax Shaggy Gold Club texassax Shaggy Gold Club texassax Shaggy Gold Club texassax Shaggy Gold Club texassax Shaggy Gold Club texassax's Avatar
    nice one smart guy

asshat Quagmire is a rep whore. Quagmire is a rep whore. Quagmire is a rep whore. Quagmire is a rep whore. Quagmire is a rep whore. Quagmire is a rep whore. Quagmire is a rep whore. Quagmire is a rep whore. Quagmire is a rep whore. Quagmire is a rep whore. Quagmire is a rep whore.
    how much is a new rim cheapass? :)

Yeah, but that's the wussy way out. How else you gonna get experience handling a rim job than to do it your own self?

asshat Overlord grows his own roses Overlord grows his own roses Overlord grows his own roses Overlord grows his own roses Overlord grows his own roses Overlord grows his own roses Overlord grows his own roses Overlord grows his own roses Overlord grows his own roses Overlord grows his own roses Overlord grows his own roses Overlord's Avatar
    Stop getting dunked on

asshat spystud13 Shaggy Gold Club spystud13 Shaggy Gold Club spystud13 Shaggy Gold Club spystud13 Shaggy Gold Club spystud13 Shaggy Gold Club spystud13 Shaggy Gold Club spystud13 Shaggy Gold Club spystud13 Shaggy Gold Club spystud13 Shaggy Gold Club spystud13 Shaggy Gold Club spystud13 Shaggy Gold Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Quagmire
    $35, apparently...

asshat texhorn grows his own roses texhorn grows his own roses texhorn grows his own roses texhorn grows his own roses texhorn grows his own roses texhorn grows his own roses texhorn grows his own roses texhorn grows his own roses texhorn grows his own roses texhorn grows his own roses texhorn grows his own roses texhorn's Avatar
    jackhammer

Sandwich Eater Steel Shank Shaggy Gold Club Steel Shank Shaggy Gold Club Steel Shank Shaggy Gold Club Steel Shank Shaggy Gold Club Steel Shank Shaggy Gold Club Steel Shank Shaggy Gold Club Steel Shank Shaggy Gold Club Steel Shank Shaggy Gold Club Steel Shank Shaggy Gold Club Steel Shank Shaggy Gold Club Steel Shank Shaggy Gold Club Steel Shank's Avatar

asshat William Cannon slams and goes hard. William Cannon slams and goes hard. William Cannon slams and goes hard. William Cannon slams and goes hard. William Cannon slams and goes hard. William Cannon slams and goes hard. William Cannon slams and goes hard. William Cannon slams and goes hard. William Cannon slams and goes hard. William Cannon slams and goes hard. William Cannon slams and goes hard. William Cannon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday
    i'd use a clamp and place it on the wide part and slowly bend those sides in.
    I tried pipe clamps since I could do that while the rim was attached to the goal, but they weren't strong enough and the screw wouldn't be nearly long enough either.

Quote Originally Posted by judge roybeanbag
    That happened to mine when I was a teenager. We heated it up with a cutting torch and hammered it back.

If you don't have a cutting torch, try using a car jack. Put it in between the sides that are squished, and slowly jack it (no homo) until it starts to bend back into place.
    This is what I was planning on doing but I didn't think the car jack would extend far enough since I would have to overcompensate for the steel bending back some. Luckily a friend of mine had the brilliant idea of inserting a block of wood to extend the reach of the jack. ...can't believe I didn't think of a block of wood Block of wood and a car jack for the win!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday
    i was trying to find a reverse clamp online but couldnt. guess what a car jack is?!? a reverse clamp. hahaha.
    They make them. I think they're called spreading clamps?

Thanks guys.

Yeah, but that's the wussy way out. How else you gonna get experience handling a rim job than to do it your own self?
    Ha ha! rim job... Yeah I was determined to fix this one. If I had to replace everything that breaks around the house, I'd be broke myself.

Quote Originally Posted by spystud13
    that's a $#@!ty rim though... I need one with a spring so I can dunk on my kids.

Yeah, but that's the wussy way out.
    Actually. The wussy way out was having a goal that wasn't set in concrete. A 10 foot goal, properly and exactly measured, is the only way to learn. I remember the goal my pop set up when I was about 10. It was so tall. It was so high.

And then I remember the first time I dunked a 10 foot goal, with two hands, when I was in 10th grade. It was satisfying in a way that only some folks will understand.

In unrelated news, once they are big and strong enough to toss a ball that high, teach your kid to play on a regulation goal.

All that gibberish aside, I did appreciate the mention of cutting torches, alternate fixes, and such. I love crazy fixes.

I love crazy fixes.
    I worked for a crazyass rice farmer when I was about 14. This dude held his $#@! together with baling wire and duct tape. Amazing that I didn't lose any limbs but this guy was McGuyver on steroids. He could fix $#@! you wouldn't believe.

Comes with being a child of the depression, I guess.

asshat spystud13 Shaggy Gold Club spystud13 Shaggy Gold Club spystud13 Shaggy Gold Club spystud13 Shaggy Gold Club spystud13 Shaggy Gold Club spystud13 Shaggy Gold Club spystud13 Shaggy Gold Club spystud13 Shaggy Gold Club spystud13 Shaggy Gold Club spystud13 Shaggy Gold Club spystud13 Shaggy Gold Club
    Quote Originally Posted by William Cannon
    that's a $#@!ty rim though... I need one with a spring so I can dunk on my kids.
    $43 then!

Quote Originally Posted by Lonestarman
    A 10 foot goal, properly and exactly measured, is the only way to learn.
    Yeah, my dad & I $#@!ed up on my second goal years ago after the first pole broke in half, & it was only 9.5' high. My jump shot never recovered...

asshat NorthLoop has a gigantic e-peen. NorthLoop has a gigantic e-peen. NorthLoop has a gigantic e-peen. NorthLoop has a gigantic e-peen. NorthLoop has a gigantic e-peen. NorthLoop has a gigantic e-peen. NorthLoop has a gigantic e-peen. NorthLoop has a gigantic e-peen. NorthLoop has a gigantic e-peen. NorthLoop has a gigantic e-peen. NorthLoop has a gigantic e-peen. NorthLoop's Avatar
    And then I remember the first time I dunked a 10 foot goal
    me too... oh wait..

I love crazy fixes.
    I worked for a crazyass rice farmer when I was about 14. This dude held his $#@! together with baling wire and duct tape. Amazing that I didn't lose any limbs but this guy was McGuyver on steroids. He could fix $#@! you wouldn't believe.

Yeah, man. If I don't manage to make a point, let it be known that your post was appreciated. As a stand alone post, it is meritorious.

While my pop wasn't technically a child of the depression, he was close. And he had more than a few older siblings who let him know what-was-what. But let us get down into it.

I am pretty $#@!ing handy. But that cat could and can make $#@! work that would never work. Ever. He was and is an American $#@!ing Classic.

In related news, I realized upon a second read that my post above was full of personal braggadocio. I can’t lie. I was and am proud of that dunk. But it came across as a gay brag. And that was not my intention.

I meant to brag on my old man for having the stones to make me play on a regulation goal when all I could see was an unreachable goal.

He was and is a great $#@!ing man.

Salud, Pop.

asshat Quasimofo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Quasimofo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Quasimofo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Quasimofo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Quasimofo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Quasimofo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Quasimofo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Quasimofo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Quasimofo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Quasimofo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Quasimofo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Quasimofo's Avatar
    Coach Boom can probably fix that mofo with just the power of his mind. He can fly (I've seen pictures), he cost the economy of Texas (and all other states Shagsters live in) millions this week alone, he has laser beam eyeballs (seen pictures of that too), can turn down a $2.1 mill raise and not bat an eye, and no telling what else. He is Chuck Norris, except for reals, not some made up tv show/internet bad ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonestarman
    Actually. The wussy way out was having a goal that wasn't set in concrete. A 10 foot goal, properly and exactly measured, is the only way to learn.
    Go tell that to my homeowners asso. We're not allowed to have goals cemented in. In addition, we're even supposed to request permission to setup a portable goal. F'n nazis! I didn't go that far, but I as sure as hell am not going to cement something in just to pull it out.

Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:14 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

judge roybeanbag wrote:
    Quote:
    I love crazy fixes.

Yeah, man. If I don't manage to make a point, let it be known that your post was appreciated. As a stand alone post, it is meritorious.

While my pop wasn't technically a child of the depression, he was close. And he had more than a few older siblings who let him know what-was-what. But let us get down into it.

I am pretty $#@!ing handy. But that cat could and can make $#@! work that would never work. Ever. He was and is an American $#@!ing Classic.

In related news, I realized upon a second read that my post above was full of personal braggadocio. I can’t lie. I was and am proud of that dunk. But it came across as a gay brag. And that was not my intention.

I meant to brag on my old man for having the stones to make me play on a regulation goal when all I could see was an unreachable goal.

He was and is a great $#@!ing man.Salud, Pop.
    I appreciate that $#@!, man. And my kids are constantly $#@!ing amazed that from their messups, I can make lemonaid. My boy, 11, is learning. May your dad's lessons go forward. I should clarify. The guys name was Milton Minarcik. If you knew Alfredo from the old 360 board, you would know him. He was a complete badass. I worked for him from age 14 to about 18.

I appreciate that $#@!, man. And my kids are constantly $#@!ing amazed that from their messups, I can make lemons. My boy, 11, is learning. May your dad's lessons go forward. I should clarify. The guys name was Milton Minarcik. If you knew Alfredo from the old 360 board, you would know him. He was a complete badass. I worked for him from age 14 to about 18.
    You are alright, man. May peace and happiness be with you and yours.

What's awesome is that my grandpa, being a farmer out in the country, had a "junkpile". Which means he had about a quarter mile of $#@! strewn on the side of the road out back of his place. Except when he needed something, some odd or end, he knew EXACTLY where it was. And he would tell you "go get that 3/4 washer outta the junkpile, it's next to the old oilfield diamond steps". And there it was.

+ Reply to Thread