+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Ok, I'm quitting the Skoal

asshat spankytoes Shaggy Gold Club spankytoes Shaggy Gold Club spankytoes Shaggy Gold Club spankytoes Shaggy Gold Club spankytoes Shaggy Gold Club spankytoes Shaggy Gold Club spankytoes Shaggy Gold Club spankytoes Shaggy Gold Club spankytoes Shaggy Gold Club spankytoes Shaggy Gold Club spankytoes Shaggy Gold Club spankytoes's Avatar
    Texas Turncoat in Manhattan & Humblebragging Travel Douche

Ok, I'm quitting the Skoal

I've been dipping Skoal Straight Longcut since my senior year of high school. I decided this weekend that it was time to quit. I bought some NicoDerm patches and an economy-sized pack of Trident Sugarless Spearmint. It has been almost 5 hours since my last pinch and I am sweaty, shifty and chomping my gum so hard that my teeth are beginning to hurt.

I am quitting for a myriad of reasons, but I am determined to kick it this time. (I have no choice in this) Anyone been successful that could offer some tips or advice? I plan on hitting the treadmill with fury tonight to let out some aggression. But, I am worried that I am going to kick my $#@!ing boss in his $#@!ing head and piss into his $#@!ing ocular cavities if I don't get some $#@!ing real nicotine.

Thanks!

asshat mdmost GORN mdmost GORN mdmost GORN mdmost GORN mdmost GORN mdmost GORN mdmost GORN mdmost GORN mdmost GORN mdmost GORN mdmost GORN mdmost's Avatar
    I got a guy you can call if you want to go the hypnotherapy route. Getting people to quit smoking is one of the things he's best known for. I doubt snuff would be that far of a stretch. Good luck.

Just do your best to keep busy, do $#@! keep your mind off it. I know, easier said than done, but it helped me. I worked damn long hours for a while there.

Shaggy Goon MissingInAction might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MissingInAction might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MissingInAction might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MissingInAction might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MissingInAction might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MissingInAction might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MissingInAction might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MissingInAction might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MissingInAction might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MissingInAction might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MissingInAction might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MissingInAction's Avatar
    I will still bum a smoke or a dip here and there during party time, but I quit a 10 year pack a day habit about 6 years ago. I just got pissed.
    I quit by increments. First I stopped smoking on my breaks at work. I would just think about that smoke at lunch to get me through, and then when I left work I 'd smoke normally. Then I cut off smoking at work entirely. What I did was break the habits of ok I have a smoke when I drive, I have a smoke when I do this and that. I am sure you have a dipping ritual also. Eventually I cut myself down to just smoking when I went out , and then I just one day couldnt stand them anymore.
    It's all about breaking up that ritual. Thats the toughest.

Head White Devil rage-a-holic might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? rage-a-holic might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? rage-a-holic might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? rage-a-holic might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? rage-a-holic might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? rage-a-holic might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? rage-a-holic might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? rage-a-holic might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? rage-a-holic might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? rage-a-holic might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? rage-a-holic might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? rage-a-holic's Avatar
    I quit a 15 year Cope habit 3 years ago. Chewed a lot of gum, mint toothpicks and straws. I still get cravings but nothing like the 1st 6 months.

my buddy kicked the habit in 2004 but still has a lot of problems with urges today. he always has a lot of nicotine gum on him.

bunghole tex27 is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? tex27 is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares?
    I think the nicotine gum helps better then the patches. You can throw the gum in when you are having a strong craviing. That is what I used to quit a few years ago.

bunghole seeingdouble is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? seeingdouble is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? seeingdouble is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? seeingdouble is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? seeingdouble is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? seeingdouble is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? seeingdouble is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? seeingdouble is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? seeingdouble is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? seeingdouble is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? seeingdouble is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares?
    I was trying to the same until this weekend when I bummed some dips from my friend who came infrom Austin and then you Spanky. By the way thanks for the dip.

I can go for a few weeks at a time but when I hang out with someone who dips and we are drinking it gets very tough.

asshat spankytoes Shaggy Gold Club spankytoes Shaggy Gold Club spankytoes Shaggy Gold Club spankytoes Shaggy Gold Club spankytoes Shaggy Gold Club spankytoes Shaggy Gold Club spankytoes Shaggy Gold Club spankytoes Shaggy Gold Club spankytoes Shaggy Gold Club spankytoes Shaggy Gold Club spankytoes Shaggy Gold Club spankytoes's Avatar
    I was torn between the gum and the patches. I eventually went with the latter for psychological reasons. With regular gum, I am chewing all the flavor out of it and pinching it between my lip and gums like I would with Skoal. If the gum had nicotine in it, I would derive a mild satisfaction. That, to me, defeats the entire purpose of what I'm trying to do and prolongs my dependancy. The hardest part was not dipping after eating my lunch, which was the inspiration for starting the thread.

Thanks for the advice guys. I heard through the grapevine that I was passed over for a promotion in part due to my dipping habit. Well, not so much from the habit itself as it was forgetting to throw away my cans or having a pool of spit in the bottom of my trashcan...both of which were sometimes left in client's view.

Yeah, go with the patches. The gum requires more discipline and is harder to wean yourself off and step-down from. Patch is just "place and go." Chew a lot of gum, mints, etc. and exercise a lot. Stay away from triggers for a while - pretty much the same stuff for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by spankytoes View Post
    I heard through the grapevine that I was passed over for a promotion in part due to my dipping habit. Well, not so much from the habit itself as it was forgetting to throw away my cans or having a pool of spit in the bottom of my trashcan...both of which were sometimes left in client's view.
    are you sure it's not from posting on shaggy too much?

asshat NOMAAA grows his own roses NOMAAA grows his own roses NOMAAA grows his own roses NOMAAA grows his own roses NOMAAA grows his own roses NOMAAA grows his own roses NOMAAA grows his own roses NOMAAA grows his own roses NOMAAA grows his own roses NOMAAA grows his own roses NOMAAA grows his own roses NOMAAA's Avatar
    i have been on the skoal pouches for about a year and gave them up about a month ago. occasionally have a craving when stressed, but any kind of gum has been a huge help. i think more than anything it gives you time to stop and realize that you really dont want the snuff and remember what you are trying to do.

I can't quit nicorette. I just went from the 4 mg to the 2 mg today. I am going to try to ween myself off the gum, but it's going to be a process.

I know one guy who gradually weened himself off by mixing skoal and a fake skoal. the fake skoal is 100% mint leaves, all natural. He started a 75/25 mix, then 50/50/ then 25/75, then 10/90, then 100% fake. It was a gradual weaning.

asshat NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX's Avatar
    Jesus built my car. Its a love affair. Mainly Jesus and my hot rod.
    Everything on this old HF thread is still valid.

I might try to pull up a thread from the 'old' Shaggy on quitting nicotine as the info is in there as well.

http://forums.hornfans.com/php/wwwth...=2#Post5450734

Bottom line (for now): You're going to be an insufferable ass (even more than normal, anyhow) for @ least 3 to 5 days.

Your sleep is going to be crazy $#@!ed up... you will have the most vivid dreams you have EVER had. Some crazy $#@! in there, too... maybe stuff like going on a double date with Bob Stoops & Barry Switzer or some $#@! like that.

Be sure to let everyone you work with know that you are cutting out the nicotine. Try to get your gum whittled down really REALLY fast or all you're doing is supplanting one chemical with another. Your body (brain) has built receptors that are designed ONLY for nicotine & even if you totally empty them, for the rest of your days they are just sitting there waiting for the first taste of the chemical again & *bang* they get topped off again & the response to your physical body is the same as if you never stopped.

This means that if you don't fully cut out the nicotine, all you're doing is giving just a little taste to the nasty $#@!ers (receptors) & it's merely putting them on edge as opposed to filling them up for the "aaaaaahhhhhhh!" they (you) crave.

You also need to try & change some of your physical habits, i.e. your routine that you typically followed when you'd dip. If you typically would have a cuppa Joe in the morning & follow that with a dip, go into a cold drink & switch the timing (i.e. not in the car where you did the coffee before, or something like that).

If you'd always stop by a certain convenience store on the way home from work so that you could get a can, then you need to try a different route. Go through the house & get rid of whatever you have as a spit cup (the kind you might have been rinsing out & reusing). If you have some kind of a little tool in your truck or desk that you'd use to open a can, move it into a garage tool box or give it away to someone.

All of this applies to smoking but with different words replacing the key terms; in the case of a spit cup, make it all (ALL) the ashtrays & lighters you have (move the lighters into your BBQ grill if that's where you might still use them, but totally get rid of every other smoking tool).

Feel free to send a PM... if it helps, you really do need a buddy (think: similar to a Sponsor, but really it's someone who is going through it as well right now & you have shared experiences with them).

Good luck.

bunghole BillyMadison is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? BillyMadison is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? BillyMadison is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? BillyMadison is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? BillyMadison is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? BillyMadison is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? BillyMadison is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? BillyMadison is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? BillyMadison is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? BillyMadison's Avatar
    i managed to quit, cold turkey, on my third try. to make it worse, i was teaching at the time, so every time a kid pissed me off i got double pissed. the kids thought i was on PCP or something.

post above is right - you won't really be able to sleep for a couple of days and your body is going to hate you. but, if you can suffer through a few days, you will be pretty well off. i haven't dipped in over 2 years now and i was a can-a-day user. not many cravings these days at all. it's actually kinda weird i did it for so long (10 years).

asshat HornGrandioso can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. HornGrandioso can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. HornGrandioso can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. HornGrandioso can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. HornGrandioso can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. HornGrandioso can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. HornGrandioso can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. HornGrandioso can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. HornGrandioso can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. HornGrandioso can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. HornGrandioso can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. HornGrandioso's Avatar
    I dipped Cope for a good ten years until last November, when I saw a guy at MD Anderson Cancer Center with his entire lower lip surgically removed. Within 2 weeks I'd had the last dip of my life. I chewed the nicorette for a while though, off and on - way longer than 6 weeks. I think I've got that beat now. At about 4.5 months tobacco free.

One thing that helps is: Pat yourself on the back. Brag to your friends and family. People love encouraging and supporting a person beating addiction.

Another thing, start google image searching things like "oral cancer" if you want to scare yourself straight. But I wouldn't recommend it. Just know that it is NOT cool.

Oh, and at $5+/can, quitting is like getting a $2,000.00/year raise, which is nice. And, you'll be out of convenience stores so you won't buy other impulse crap when you would have been there.

asshat NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX's Avatar
    If anyone is still using & has plans to quit in the foreseeable future, let me know (either via PM or posting on this thread) & I'll get you started with a somewhat easy "@ Shaggy" program on how to get quit.

This is ONLY for people who are not actively trying the gum, shots, patches, etc. & are still using.

asshat Hook1997 slams and goes hard. Hook1997 slams and goes hard. Hook1997 slams and goes hard. Hook1997 slams and goes hard. Hook1997 slams and goes hard. Hook1997 slams and goes hard. Hook1997 slams and goes hard. Hook1997 slams and goes hard. Hook1997 slams and goes hard. Hook1997 slams and goes hard. Hook1997 slams and goes hard. Hook1997's Avatar
    I about to give quitting the old college try. The $#@! has got too expensive and after a can a day for a while my mouth is not right so I have to quit. Im going to use the fake snuff made of herbs and crap and some of the nicotine gum. Wish me luck.

Quote Originally Posted by NCAAFBALLROX View Post
    If anyone is still using & has plans to quit in the foreseeable future, let me know (either via PM or posting on this thread) & I'll get you started with a somewhat easy "@ Shaggy" program on how to get quit.

This is ONLY for people who are not actively trying the gum, shots, patches, etc. & are still using.
    I keep telling myself I'll quit. "Well, I'm out now, so this is a good time to start."

3 months later. Rinse. Repeat.

So, yeah, I want to quit. And I've tried a couple of times, but not that seriously.

asshat TexArcher Shaggy Gold Club TexArcher Shaggy Gold Club TexArcher Shaggy Gold Club TexArcher Shaggy Gold Club TexArcher Shaggy Gold Club TexArcher Shaggy Gold Club TexArcher Shaggy Gold Club TexArcher Shaggy Gold Club TexArcher Shaggy Gold Club TexArcher Shaggy Gold Club TexArcher Shaggy Gold Club TexArcher's Avatar
    I quit smoking after over 17 years.

You've got the right idea on the nicotine replacement and the sweets for the oral fixation, but honestly the best thing you can do is EXERCISE. A lot. It will help with the cravings and the bad mood, and it will also help you sleep (don't be surprised if you have a hard time falling or staying asleep, and expect some freaky dreams, don't know if that's the withdrawals or the nicotine patches, but dayum).

Hang in there. It will suck big time for several days and then it will get better incrementally.

In reference to TexArcher's post, that's a very good piece of advice.

Just be sure to NOT exercise & smoke too closely together; it can kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Hook1997 View Post
    I about to give quitting the old college try. The $#@! has got too expensive and after a can a day for a while my mouth is not right so I have to quit. Im going to use the fake snuff made of herbs and crap and some of the nicotine gum. Wish me luck.

Quote Originally Posted by skipperj View Post
    I keep telling myself I'll quit. "Well, I'm out now, so this is a good time to start."

So, yeah, I want to quit. And I've tried a couple of times, but not that seriously.
    According to his listed info, Skipper is in Austin. Hook1997 doesn't list his location, but it's possible he could use a Quit Buddy... are you two adverse to working with each other? It's easy to do this via phone, PM & Email but it really does work better if you've got someone going through all of "it" @ the same time as you.

Alright. This is my official announcement that I am quitting. I'm going to reread the HF thread. And, Hook1997, feel free to PM me. I had my last one at 2pm today. I ran out and wasn't able to get more because I was working from home and didn't have a good excuse for my wife to leave the house and get more. So, it's been 7 hours and I really really want one while I clean the kitchen. That's one of my routines. Promise to clean the kitchen so the wife can go upstairs and watch TV before bed. Have a good long dip while cleaning up before bed.

Ugggh.

Guess I'll have another glass of wine. And work on that vice next.

Skipper, (no homo) but you are awesome... however I might suggest you hold off for @ least a day or three while we plan your program.

If Hook1997 is on board, you two (& one other that I just sent a PM to) might be good quit buddies but - again- you need to do a bit of advance work prior to the actual "quit date".

I took a tip from the HF thread and marked my last tin in sharpie with the date and set it on top of my desk. (I realized I did have some Camel Snus left. I put it in there and then taped it up before writing on it.)

And thanks, NCAAFBALLROX, but I'm not holding off. I have nothing to dip, and I'm not going to buy anything. I do want to plan a program, but I really want to keep this feeling going. I want to quit, I want to quit now.

I've wanted to, and I've wanted to for awhile. This thread convinced me to take that step.

Skipper, that's fine. Motivation is really a largest part of anything you do & it's obviously best if you can maintain that momentum that you're into now.

The first thing you are going to have to deal with is going to bed & then it's going to be when you wake up. The chemical withdrawal will be pretty solid in the AM & you'll really be going nucking futs around noon.

WHEN
    (not "if") the urge hits... in order (as you need to do them; you might be OK without going past # 2, etc).

1. Congratulate yourself for recognizing that you are having an urge - a withdrawal symptom - & that you didn't RE-act, you were PRO-active. You took charge of your actions. Knowing that you are in control of the urge vs. just mindlessly opening the can is part of the process. I'll bet you can recite more than a few times you noticed you had a dip going on (or a cig for the smokers) & you actually don't remember putting it in (opening the can, taking the pinch, picking up a cup...) & before you know it, you are 3 or 4 spits into the dip & it's somewhat magical how it ended up in your mouth.
    2. Take a deep breath. I mean _r_e_a_l_l_y_ inspire some O2. Pause. Take another deep DEEP breath. Really feel it in your lungs almost to the point of hurt.
    3. Recognize that the urge WILL pass. It will. It may only take 30 seconds, it may fade after 3 minutes... but. You ain't gon' die, you ain't gon' kill sumbody (I hope). Now, after 2 days somebody might want to kill YOU, but it shouldn't be you doing the rat killing.
    4. Brush your teeth. Rinse. Brush 'em again (this time paying attention to the furthest back teeth). Now floss.
    5. Get a drink of cold water over ice cubes. Drink the entire thing down in one shot. Feels pretty damn good, doesn't it?
    6. Get up & sit in a different chair in the house or go into a different room, etc. Change your location.
    7. Go for a walk, @ least 1 block this direction, then back & 1 block the other direction.

If you have to go this far through the steps, by this time you should be well past any cravings. You've actually activated a lot of stuff in your brain & stimulated more than a few nerves. This should make it a bit easier to deal with the chemical needs.

asshat Hook1997 slams and goes hard. Hook1997 slams and goes hard. Hook1997 slams and goes hard. Hook1997 slams and goes hard. Hook1997 slams and goes hard. Hook1997 slams and goes hard. Hook1997 slams and goes hard. Hook1997 slams and goes hard. Hook1997 slams and goes hard. Hook1997 slams and goes hard. Hook1997 slams and goes hard. Hook1997's Avatar
    Hey sorry im late to the party. Thanks NCAAFBALLROX for all the helpful info. I have to admit that when i just clicked on the thread i had a dip in my mouth but im going in the am to get some gum and I have a couple cans of fake snuff and ill see how the day treats me. Skipperj i'll send you a pm in the am.

Help me. I am ready. Well, not really ready, but this thread has got to me. My biggest fear is compensating with foot and getting fatter.

Maybe I make $1000 bet with someone that I don't take the 1st dip. That could motivate me.

Scott, compensating with food is OK provided you're making healthy trade offs.

Hopefully you're a fan of celery? The *snap* & texture of crunchy vegetables seems to be a good benefit in the program. Something as simple as prepping some veggies in ZipLoc's or a plastic tray setup.

Grapes are good... so are carrots. Set yourself up with some fresh vegetables & hell, you might actually end up doing an all version of this:

Well, made it through my first growl of the day without one. That's huge. I think today, everytime I get the urge, I will have another Guinness or shot of Jameson. I will be drunk by 10am. :)

Quote Originally Posted by scottsins View Post
    Maybe I make $1000 bet with someone that I don't take the 1st dip. That could motivate me.
    I'm at Day 3. I've had 6 dips since then: 1 during the morning drive and 1 on the drive home from work. I dip before I start my car and dispose of it when I pull into the parking garage on the way here and put one in and dispose of it as soon as I pull up to my house on the way back. I've had the same can since a drunken purchase on McKinney Ave. after Saturday's St. Patty's festivities...which has to be some sort of a record for me. The funny thing is, I didn't even want to dip yesterday evening or this morning. You know how people trying to lose weight try to skip breakfast? It's the same principle. I may not be hungry, or want to add the extra calories, but by eating breakfast I am saving myself from pigging out in the afternoon at lunch. I'm controlling my cravings by giving my senses something that it wants to avoid overindulging later on. I've had a few rough patches, but they usually pass within minutes once I occupy my mind on something else. I've also cut down to 2 pieces of gum today...which my jaw thanks me for.

I've actually gone the other way with eating while quitting. I'm finding that drinking a lot of water helps curb my cravings and my hunger. I'm tracking my calories in conjunction with a workout program and I net 1250 per day with light exercise.

So, St. Patrick's day is not the best day to go cold turkey. NCCAFBROX is right. I need to plan a quit day, instead of just saying one night "this is it". Saturday is a good day for me to quit. I usually dip less on the weekends, because I'm not working and spending more time with the family. Plus, this orgy of St. Patrick's day and round 1 NCAA will be over. I bought a couple of cans yesterday afternoon on the way downtown. That should last me through Friday.

I'm at a point where cold turkey just doesn't work. I think I would need to literally take a week off of work if I wanted to do that. If I don't have nicotine in my system, I don't just get irritable. I get headaches and my eyes get red and painful. Also, my jaw/gums jurt really bad. I am going to try to ween myself down to 3 pieces of 2 mg nicorette per day, before I quit altogether. I typically go through about 14 pieces (2 at a time) of the 4 mg. I just recently cut down to the 2 mg. I've quit before, but I've always ended up back on it when drinking.

So, how's everyone doing? I've been getting longer and longer between dips. I did 27 hours yesterday. Most of that was because I was stuck traveling from 11am until 6am. Airports, hotel shuttles, hotels. No opportunity to buy.

But, I've also done several 18+ stints without it. I think it's getting easier to do without. (For full disclosure, I am dipping right now. But, I'm in a hotel, so I can dip whenever I want. I haven't done it since I got here 7 hours ago. I think I'm making progress.)

I did buy as soon as I landed today, but I did a lot better. I usually take several "breaks" during the day to have a dip. Either walking around or taking a growl. I only did one of those today. I think a positive is that, at the end of the work day, I was about to go find a place to dip, but I just decided to wait until later. Later is now.

asshat tx ind grows his own roses tx ind grows his own roses tx ind grows his own roses tx ind grows his own roses tx ind grows his own roses tx ind grows his own roses tx ind grows his own roses tx ind grows his own roses tx ind grows his own roses tx ind grows his own roses tx ind grows his own roses tx ind's Avatar
    April 1, let's quit this $#@! cold turkey. Who is in with me?

Just curious, but why isn't anyone trying Chantix? It has helped 3 people I know quit 25 year habits or more.
    It changes the taste and is no longer pleasurable. And you just stop craving the tabacco after so many weeks.
    Does the thought of vivid dreams scare or is it something else?
    Just wondering....

Quote Originally Posted by tx ind View Post
    April 1, let's quit this $#@! cold turkey. Who is in with me?
    April 1 would actually be a very good date for me. I will be past a big road trip to NYC as well as past a solid two weeks of traveling for work.

Quote Originally Posted by burntorangebongos View Post
    Just curious, but why isn't anyone trying Chantix? It has helped 3 people I know quit 25 year habits or more.
    It changes the taste and is no longer pleasurable. And you just stop craving the tabacco after so many weeks.
    Does the thought of vivid dreams scare or is it something else?
    Just wondering....
    Honestly, I'd like to try it by myself first without relying on drugs. Once I decided to do it, it's been easier and easier for longer periods. I'm hoping to continue that until I no longer need it.

asshat tx ind grows his own roses tx ind grows his own roses tx ind grows his own roses tx ind grows his own roses tx ind grows his own roses tx ind grows his own roses tx ind grows his own roses tx ind grows his own roses tx ind grows his own roses tx ind grows his own roses tx ind grows his own roses tx ind's Avatar
    April 1 would actually be a very good date for me. I will be past a big road trip to NYC as well as past a solid two weeks of traveling for work.
    ok, we got 2, some others need to jump into this

Quote Originally Posted by rtchorn View Post
    I've quit before, but I've always ended up back on it when drinking.
    ...and it's usually scottsins' fault when that happens.

asshat NOMAAA grows his own roses NOMAAA grows his own roses NOMAAA grows his own roses NOMAAA grows his own roses NOMAAA grows his own roses NOMAAA grows his own roses NOMAAA grows his own roses NOMAAA grows his own roses NOMAAA grows his own roses NOMAAA grows his own roses NOMAAA grows his own roses NOMAAA's Avatar
    ive been off the skoal for a good month now. so make that three.

I'm still going strong

Exclamation

Guys, you aren't paying attention.

When you try to ween yourselves off the nicotine (whether it's smoke or smokeLESS), all you're doing is $#@!ing with the chemistry (see below).

& When I said "plan the attack", I didn't mean it exclusively as setting a forward date to make the move.

I meant that we have some background work to do prior to the set date ("quit week" is what we call it in the classes).

IF you are still dipping @ all, I want you to get on the same usage schedule you were normally on.

THEN, take a piece of paper & print it out with a series of grids like this:

(you can copy the image, that's why I made it).

Then, cut it into individual squares. Keep one in your pack of smokes inside the wrapper OR tape it to your dip lid.

Whenever you get a smoke or take a dip, write down these THREE things:

1 to 5 rating.
    1 = I guess I don't need it really, not Jonesing. It's just sorta "there".
    5 = If I don't get a dip / smoke, someone's gonna have to choke a bitch. Do YOU want to be that bitch? Then get out of my gawd damn way.

Anything in between is acceptable.

Then, write down what your location is when you have it; @ home, work, car, social (yes, you will need to keep a pen handy. If you don't want to be bothered with a pen & this little chart, then don't waste my time).

Finally, a 1 - 5 rating as to how it made you feel when you've fixed.

Only 3 things. Use both sides per pack or can if required.

Do this for ONE WEEK prior to quitting. Do this for EVERY pack or can (or bag if you're into chew).

Also, please list on this thread who your quit buddy is. This is someone that you should have contact with via:

Telephone
    Email
    FaceBook or PM access
    Personal contact is OK if you are within reasonable range for both of you.

If someone is an 'odd man out' then I can buddy up with you.

Let me (& the rest of us) know how it goes.

If you're not committed to doing all the steps, then -again- don't waste my time or the time of the other people here who are serious about their commitment to getting clean.

I can guarantee you 100% success provided you follow the steps & recognize how it works (for instance, there is no such thing as "just one" when you're out @ a bar, @ a tailgate, going fishing, etc).

OK, so here's the money shot. This shows you why tapering or "eat throughout the day in small bites vs. going on a food binge" is totally not a valid comparison & can actually hurt you vs. help.

Missed this the first time around.

My favorite excuse was "Well, I need to mentally prepare myself to quit. In order to do that, I need to go full circle. My first dip was a can of Skoal Classic so I need to have a farewell party with that." When I'd finish that can, and got a few hours into quitting, "Well, Skoal Straight has been my posion of choice these past 14 years. It would be more fitting if that was my last can ever." When I'd finish that can I'd convince myself that I would "cutdown" to 8 dips per day and gradually ween myself off to 0 over a 2 week period. Needless to say, it never happened.

I am now 9 days into the process. I haven't had a dip of any sorts since Friday evening. Holy $#@!, I had that thing in for 2 hours into it got too soggy to pinch anymore. I'm still on the patches and gum, but I am slowly weening off all nicotine. I will wear my patch until after lunch and then take it off. I've increased to 7 hours with no patch and sporadic gum thus far. It's a really strange feeling. Kind of like riding your bike and realizing that your dad isn't holding on to the seat anymore. You're pedaling/balancing without any real help.

But, my initial angry exercise kick has gone out the window. Food, especially fast food, quenches my cravings. I find myself eating 5 times a day, even when I'm not hungry. I'm trying to balance it by eating healthy snacks so that I don't do too much damage. I'm more tired than usual, which is probably due to restless sleep and very vivid dreams.

If you've started, keep it up. If not, be prepared. It's a lot of work, but it is totally worth it. I'm diverting $24 per week, which is what I would have spent on 3 cans weekly, into a savings account. On my 1-year anniversary, I'm using the $1250.00 that I saved from quitting to go to South America on vacation. That's my motivation.

bunghole Work is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares?
    sunflower seeds help me tremendously

Spanky, the patches & gum only help with the physical nicotine withdrawal issues but don't do anything for the psychological issues that surround usage.

The psych issues covers stuff about
    1. When you use it (setting in both time AND place).
    2. Why you use it outside of regulating a chemical need (to fix a sadness, in a social scene to be one with the others, boredom, stress).
    3. The process of how you use it (where you keep your pack or can, the process of opening it, if you have a 'special lighter' or there's this favorite 2005 MNC coffee mug @ work that you can put the spit into & it won't look gross on your desk, your routine in the morning about where you stop in to buy a pack or can @ least 2 or 3 times a week, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Work View Post
    sunflower seeds help me tremendously
    This also goes to the psych issues because there is a physical property to opening the bag & having to keep both your fingers & mouth busy, as well as 'replacement therapy' in spitting seeds vs. spitting your dip or chaw.

Quote Originally Posted by NCAAFBALLROX View Post
    Spanky, the patches & gum only help with the physical nicotine withdrawal issues but don't do anything for the psychological issues that surround usage.

The psych issues covers stuff about
    1. When you use it (setting in both time AND place).
    2. Why you use it outside of regulating a chemical need (to fix a sadness, in a social scene to be one with the others, boredom, stress).
    3. The process of how you use it (where you keep your pack or can, the process of opening it, if you have a 'special lighter' or there's this favorite 2005 MNC coffee mug @ work that you can put the spit into & it won't look gross on your desk, your routine in the morning about where you stop in to buy a pack or can @ least 2 or 3 times a week, etc).
    Honestly, I think that I'm past that stage. I've been dealing with the "Ew, that's gross" for years since none of my friends dip. (Other than occasionally while hammered) Then you have the uncomfortable "Should I dip in their house/car because I can control my spit can or is that disrespectful?" thing. For me, dipping became a habit. The chemical dependancy grew out of the calming feeling that it gave me. I didn't have a routine other than dipping after a meal or first thing in the morning. I've overcome both of these. If I were to take another dip, it would be because I physically went out and purchased a can. In addition to not surrounding myself with those that do dip, I am occupied for the next 4 weekends, which eliminates the threat of slipping up while drinking. I feel confident that I have kicked the addiction to dipping, but not fully the dependancy of nicotine. That is what I'm working on right now. Like Scottsins said earlier in the thread, the $1000 bet is certainly an incentive. But, for me, I feel like I lost several thousand dollars by not quitting already. It's win-win for motivation.

I'm not saying that your suggestions don't have merit or aren't plausible. But, I just don't think that they are right for me. I'm not trying to better myself as a person, just quit an expensive and disgusting habit once and for all. I'll work on my $#@!ness later...perhaps when I start losing the pudge gained from this process.

+ Reply to Thread