+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New: Hopdoddy Burger Bar on S. Congress

asshat creasy grows his own roses creasy grows his own roses creasy grows his own roses creasy grows his own roses creasy grows his own roses creasy grows his own roses creasy grows his own roses creasy grows his own roses creasy grows his own roses creasy grows his own roses creasy grows his own roses creasy's Avatar

New: Hopdoddy Burger Bar on S. Congress

Scheduled to open October in the space where Cissi's Market was (just south of Perla's in the same block).

Guys behind it have a good track record (Moonshine, Eddie V's, etc).

Beer + angus burgers sounds all right to me.

http://www.austin360.com/blogs/conte...aking_cis.html

asshat PhatAtUT grows his own roses PhatAtUT grows his own roses PhatAtUT grows his own roses PhatAtUT grows his own roses PhatAtUT grows his own roses PhatAtUT grows his own roses PhatAtUT grows his own roses PhatAtUT grows his own roses PhatAtUT grows his own roses PhatAtUT grows his own roses PhatAtUT grows his own roses PhatAtUT's Avatar
    i never listen to bob and dan on 1310 the ticket
    like the idea. hopefully they have some california/colorado IPAs on tap. texas' IPAs dont measure up.

Quote Originally Posted by PhatAtUT View Post
    like the idea. hopefully they have some california/colorado IPAs on tap. texas' IPAs dont measure up.
    bull$#@!

asshat Snow Dog grows his own roses Snow Dog grows his own roses Snow Dog grows his own roses Snow Dog grows his own roses Snow Dog grows his own roses Snow Dog grows his own roses Snow Dog grows his own roses Snow Dog grows his own roses Snow Dog grows his own roses Snow Dog grows his own roses Snow Dog grows his own roses Snow Dog's Avatar
    Somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert
    ^
    Proper response.

asshat utexas_61 slams and goes hard. utexas_61 slams and goes hard. utexas_61 slams and goes hard. utexas_61 slams and goes hard. utexas_61 slams and goes hard. utexas_61 slams and goes hard. utexas_61 slams and goes hard. utexas_61 slams and goes hard. utexas_61 slams and goes hard. utexas_61 slams and goes hard. utexas_61 slams and goes hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus Bocanegra View Post
    bull$#@!

meh4

asshat PhatAtUT grows his own roses PhatAtUT grows his own roses PhatAtUT grows his own roses PhatAtUT grows his own roses PhatAtUT grows his own roses PhatAtUT grows his own roses PhatAtUT grows his own roses PhatAtUT grows his own roses PhatAtUT grows his own roses PhatAtUT grows his own roses PhatAtUT grows his own roses PhatAtUT's Avatar
    i love and support saint arnold. ive done the tour probably a dozen times. elissa is a pretty good beer. its not as good as IPAs made by avery, ska, breckenridge, odell, oskar blues, stone, bear republic, lagunitas, alesmith, or russian river. or to throw in some eastern breweries, bell's or dogfish head. this place should keep the texas beers on tap, but i just hope they bring in some of these others as well.

asshat TxArch is a rep whore. TxArch is a rep whore. TxArch is a rep whore. TxArch is a rep whore. TxArch is a rep whore. TxArch is a rep whore. TxArch is a rep whore. TxArch is a rep whore. TxArch is a rep whore. TxArch is a rep whore. TxArch is a rep whore. TxArch's Avatar
    when did cissi's close

asshat utexas_61 slams and goes hard. utexas_61 slams and goes hard. utexas_61 slams and goes hard. utexas_61 slams and goes hard. utexas_61 slams and goes hard. utexas_61 slams and goes hard. utexas_61 slams and goes hard. utexas_61 slams and goes hard. utexas_61 slams and goes hard. utexas_61 slams and goes hard. utexas_61 slams and goes hard.
    i love and support saint arnold. ive done the tour probably a dozen times. elissa is a pretty good beer. its not as good as IPAs made by avery, ska, breckenridge, odell, oskar blues, stone, bear republic, lagunitas, alesmith, or russian river. or to throw in some eastern breweries, bell's or dogfish head. this place should keep the texas beers on tap, but i just hope they bring in some of these others as well.
    Amen

asshat creasy grows his own roses creasy grows his own roses creasy grows his own roses creasy grows his own roses creasy grows his own roses creasy grows his own roses creasy grows his own roses creasy grows his own roses creasy grows his own roses creasy grows his own roses creasy grows his own roses creasy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TxArch View Post
    when did cissi's close
    Closed in April.

asshat Mr.Dolemite grows his own roses Mr.Dolemite grows his own roses Mr.Dolemite grows his own roses Mr.Dolemite grows his own roses Mr.Dolemite grows his own roses Mr.Dolemite grows his own roses Mr.Dolemite grows his own roses Mr.Dolemite grows his own roses Mr.Dolemite grows his own roses Mr.Dolemite grows his own roses Mr.Dolemite grows his own roses Mr.Dolemite's Avatar
    I have gone a few times so far and enjoy the place. It has hipster douche clientele at times, but a good burger. Fresh ingredients. Dublin Dr. Pepper on the fountain. Great fries. The burgers are cooked medium rare, which is unusual these days. I am a fan and go to lunch twice a week there, but I work close by. Check them out.
    Last edited by Mr.Dolemite; 10-28-2010 at 11:04 PM.

Creasy and I went there for lunch on Tuesday. The burger was excellent. I had the Llano Estacado which is a beef burger with bacon, poblanos, and monterey jack. The fries have a great salty/spicy flavor to them, but are just a tad soggy for my liking. The soda fountain was awesome, Dublin Dr. Pepper, Maine Root everything. They seemed to have a pretty good beer selection, with a bunch of the 512 stuff on tap, I didnt look too hard as to not tempt myself too much. It was good enough that I am going back tomorrow for lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by bevocious View Post
    Creasy and I went there for lunch on Tuesday.
    And I went back with Traffic for dinner that night before the Jónsi show. I had the Continental Club at lunch, which was a turkey burger w/provolone, applewood bacon and basil pesto. For dinner, I tried the plain cheeseburger. Traffic had the ahi tuna w/pickled ginger, nori chips and wasabi. All excellent.

You can choose house-made challa or whole grain buns. Great fountain selection, as bevocious mentioned. Relaxed, casual atmosphere. Friendly staff & service. They seemed a bit confused at the bar when we went for dinner, but I'll give them a pass for being new. Seems like a winner to me.

asshat El Guapo grows his own roses El Guapo grows his own roses El Guapo grows his own roses El Guapo grows his own roses El Guapo grows his own roses El Guapo grows his own roses El Guapo grows his own roses El Guapo grows his own roses El Guapo grows his own roses El Guapo grows his own roses El Guapo grows his own roses El Guapo's Avatar
    Went there Saturday and really enjoyed it. Almost every beer is a local Texas microbrew, plus the obligatory Shiner Bock. We had a Llano Estacado (poblanos) and The Goodnight (bbq sauce) on whole grain. As much as I didn't want to admit it, I think I enjoyed The Goodnight more, although both were very good.

Cool place if you can look past the hipster vibe. Thirsty Planet makes a damned good IPA, btw.

asshat KingKoopa slams and goes hard. KingKoopa slams and goes hard. KingKoopa slams and goes hard. KingKoopa slams and goes hard. KingKoopa slams and goes hard. KingKoopa slams and goes hard. KingKoopa slams and goes hard. KingKoopa slams and goes hard. KingKoopa slams and goes hard. KingKoopa slams and goes hard. KingKoopa slams and goes hard. KingKoopa's Avatar
    nothing to add except that i really enjoyed this place as well and the girl at the register was so attractive and personable that i instantly fell deeply in love with her. will be returning.

I had the Greek burger and really enjoyed it. I think I know the counter girl you're talking about, I got a girl crush on her. But that's not why I'll go back. I really want to try the tuna burger.

Thirsty Virgin Hank Scorpio Shaggy Gold Club Hank Scorpio Shaggy Gold Club Hank Scorpio Shaggy Gold Club Hank Scorpio Shaggy Gold Club Hank Scorpio Shaggy Gold Club Hank Scorpio Shaggy Gold Club Hank Scorpio Shaggy Gold Club Hank Scorpio Shaggy Gold Club Hank Scorpio Shaggy Gold Club Hank Scorpio Shaggy Gold Club Hank Scorpio Shaggy Gold Club Hank Scorpio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by whosehouse View Post
    I got a girl crush on her... I really want to try the tuna burger.
    1234loko

asshat Traffic is a rep whore. Traffic is a rep whore. Traffic is a rep whore. Traffic is a rep whore. Traffic is a rep whore. Traffic is a rep whore. Traffic is a rep whore. Traffic is a rep whore. Traffic is a rep whore. Traffic is a rep whore. Traffic is a rep whore. Traffic's Avatar
    I had the Greek burger and really enjoyed it. I think I know the counter girl you're talking about, I got a girl crush on her. But that's not why I'll go back. I really want to try the tuna burger.
    this is gold.

Tried it a couple weeks ago. Burger was overcooked and kinda dry, but I'm willing to give it another chance. I'll just assume that isn't the norm. (Unlike Mighty Fine)

asshat Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White Shaggy Gold Club Orange&White's Avatar
    i had the greek burger and really enjoyed it. I think i know the counter girl you're talking about, i got a girl crush on her. But that's not why i'll go back. I really want to try the tuna burger.
    zing!!!

asshat El Guapo grows his own roses El Guapo grows his own roses El Guapo grows his own roses El Guapo grows his own roses El Guapo grows his own roses El Guapo grows his own roses El Guapo grows his own roses El Guapo grows his own roses El Guapo grows his own roses El Guapo grows his own roses El Guapo grows his own roses El Guapo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKoopa View Post
    nothing to add except that i really enjoyed this place as well and the girl at the register was so attractive and personable that i instantly fell deeply in love with her. will be returning.
    Was it the petite brunette with the out-of-proportion-for-her-body-type rack?

dipshit Tornado Jam is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Tornado Jam is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Tornado Jam is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Tornado Jam is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Tornado Jam is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Tornado Jam is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Tornado Jam is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares?
    The llano pablano burger is the tits.

asshat KingKoopa slams and goes hard. KingKoopa slams and goes hard. KingKoopa slams and goes hard. KingKoopa slams and goes hard. KingKoopa slams and goes hard. KingKoopa slams and goes hard. KingKoopa slams and goes hard. KingKoopa slams and goes hard. KingKoopa slams and goes hard. KingKoopa slams and goes hard. KingKoopa slams and goes hard. KingKoopa's Avatar
    actually it was a girl with shorter blond hair, and i usually prefer brunettes, so this girl was especially striking.

i had the llano estacado burger as well. great bun, toppings, and even patty, but i didn't feel like the poblano itself did much for their burger (though i've had great poblano burgers elsewhere). i really wanted to try the greek burger--that's what i'll do next time.

thanks obama jt GORN jt GORN jt GORN jt GORN jt GORN jt GORN jt GORN jt GORN jt GORN jt GORN jt GORN jt's Avatar
    had the magic mushroom (Beef, Pure Texas Goat Cheese, Field Mushrooms, Basil Pesto) on friday and it may have been the most delicious burger i've ever eaten.*

*most delicious "gourmet" type burger. totally different from your basic double cheeseburger category.

I've had everything on the menu except the veggie and there's not a bad burger there

was in austin for the weekend and went saturday night for my second trip. the magic mushroom burger is really good. had to wait a little over an hour in line, which isn't great, but that's par for any restaurant in that area on a weekend night.

asshat MyQuick=FrenchToast can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. MyQuick=FrenchToast can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. MyQuick=FrenchToast can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. MyQuick=FrenchToast can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. MyQuick=FrenchToast can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. MyQuick=FrenchToast can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. MyQuick=FrenchToast can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. MyQuick=FrenchToast can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. MyQuick=FrenchToast can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. MyQuick=FrenchToast can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. MyQuick=FrenchToast can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. MyQuick=FrenchToast's Avatar
    Want to try this place soon. Love me some burgers.

Choo Choo Motherfucker The_Reason is a rep whore. The_Reason is a rep whore. The_Reason is a rep whore. The_Reason is a rep whore. The_Reason is a rep whore. The_Reason is a rep whore. The_Reason is a rep whore. The_Reason is a rep whore. The_Reason is a rep whore. The_Reason is a rep whore. The_Reason is a rep whore. The_Reason's Avatar
    El Diablo was fantastic on Friday night....

asshat 4UT slams and goes hard. 4UT slams and goes hard. 4UT slams and goes hard. 4UT slams and goes hard. 4UT slams and goes hard. 4UT slams and goes hard. 4UT slams and goes hard. 4UT slams and goes hard. 4UT slams and goes hard. 4UT slams and goes hard. 4UT slams and goes hard. 4UT's Avatar
    $#@!, I need to try this place. I live in the area, but always forget about it.

thanks obama jt GORN jt GORN jt GORN jt GORN jt GORN jt GORN jt GORN jt GORN jt GORN jt GORN jt GORN jt's Avatar
    it's a complete whip at lunchtime, so go early or late.

asshat bnb can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. bnb can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. bnb can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. bnb can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. bnb can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. bnb can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. bnb can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. bnb can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. bnb can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. bnb can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. bnb can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. bnb's Avatar
    I guess I will have to try it again. I had the frito pie burger and the meat was dry as hell and the fritos were soggy. I thought it was one of the worse burgers i had in a long time.

Choo Choo Motherfucker The_Reason is a rep whore. The_Reason is a rep whore. The_Reason is a rep whore. The_Reason is a rep whore. The_Reason is a rep whore. The_Reason is a rep whore. The_Reason is a rep whore. The_Reason is a rep whore. The_Reason is a rep whore. The_Reason is a rep whore. The_Reason is a rep whore. The_Reason's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jt View Post
    it's a complete whip at lunchtime, so go early or late.
    dinnertime can be a beating as well....

it's late, but if you can do dinner around 9 the line will have died down a lot by then on the weekends.

how hot is the el diablo? i've been tempted to try it, and i have a very high tolerance for spiciness, but habanero can be dangerous and i don't want to sit there being miserable and not enjoying the burger i waited an hour for.

Quote Originally Posted by bnb View Post
    I guess I will have to try it again. I had the frito pie burger and the meat was dry as hell and the fritos were soggy. I thought it was one of the worse burgers i had in a long time.
    The only time I went my burger was very dry, but I'm willing to give it another shot. Just seems when I want a non fast food burger these days I just make one at home.

I'm addicted to the nori chips they serve with the ahi burger. They should sell those as a side.

Quote Originally Posted by KingKoopa View Post
    it's late, but if you can do dinner around 9 the line will have died down a lot by then on the weekends.

how hot is the el diablo? i've been tempted to try it, and i have a very high tolerance for spiciness, but habanero can be dangerous and i don't want to sit there being miserable and not enjoying the burger i waited an hour for.
    I didn't get heartburn.....

I've tried to go a couple of times and walked by a lot more. It seems like it is completely slammed 100% of the time. I don't mind waiting in line for 45 minutes for the best barbecue in the world, but for a hamburger...not so much. I'm looking forward to the trend wearing off, then I'll go check it out.

asshat Silky Johnston is a rep whore. Silky Johnston is a rep whore. Silky Johnston is a rep whore. Silky Johnston is a rep whore. Silky Johnston is a rep whore. Silky Johnston is a rep whore. Silky Johnston is a rep whore. Silky Johnston is a rep whore. Silky Johnston is a rep whore. Silky Johnston is a rep whore. Silky Johnston is a rep whore. Silky Johnston's Avatar
    Ate there today. Very overrated. Don't get me wrong- it's good, but if I wanted a burger, I'd go to Dan's or Mighty Fine. If I wanted a fancy burger, I'd go to Your Mom's Burger Bar.

I went at 12:15 today. Stood in line for 10 minutes tops.
    Last edited by Silky Johnston; 04-20-2011 at 03:02 PM.

had the buffalo bill today (Bison, Maytag Blue Cheese, Frank’s Hot Sauce, Apple-Smoked Bacon, Sassy Sauce) and it was ok. nothing i'd order again. going to have the ahi one tomorrow.

asshat ndawg grows his own roses ndawg grows his own roses ndawg grows his own roses ndawg grows his own roses ndawg grows his own roses ndawg grows his own roses ndawg grows his own roses ndawg grows his own roses ndawg grows his own roses ndawg grows his own roses ndawg grows his own roses
    I don't go St. Arnold's because of the IPA, I go St Arnold's because of the Fancy Lawnmower.

i've had the mushroom and ahi several times since my last post. i $#@!ing love this place.

Quote Originally Posted by ndawg View Post
    I don't go St. Arnold's because of the IPA, I go St Arnold's because of the Fancy Lawnmower.
    cool story bro, but that post was made regarding IPAs since the word "hop" seemed to suggest at the time that this joint might focus on hoppier ales.

bunghole RB Version of HenryMelton slams and goes hard. RB Version of HenryMelton slams and goes hard. RB Version of HenryMelton slams and goes hard. RB Version of HenryMelton slams and goes hard. RB Version of HenryMelton slams and goes hard. RB Version of HenryMelton slams and goes hard. RB Version of HenryMelton slams and goes hard. RB Version of HenryMelton slams and goes hard. RB Version of HenryMelton slams and goes hard. RB Version of HenryMelton slams and goes hard. RB Version of HenryMelton slams and goes hard. RB Version of HenryMelton's Avatar
    This $#@!ing place owns. Just went for the first time and want to shoot myself for having ignored people's rec's in the past.

Buffalo Bill Burger with Fried Egg on it = best burger in Austin.

bunghole Texas slams and goes hard. Texas slams and goes hard. Texas slams and goes hard. Texas slams and goes hard. Texas slams and goes hard. Texas slams and goes hard. Texas slams and goes hard. Texas slams and goes hard. Texas slams and goes hard. Texas slams and goes hard. Texas slams and goes hard. Texas's Avatar
    As far as I can tell, Hopdoddy and now Stack Burger Bar (replaced Saba on 4th near Fado in October) take the top two spots for gourmet burgers in Austin. Both have some fantasmical burgers, and their Oreo shakes are a thousand calories of heaven.

That said, I think the Congress burger from Second Bar is also pretty damn glorious, and competes well (too bad nothing else does at SB).

Quote Originally Posted by Texas View Post
    As far as I can tell, Hopdoddy and now Stack Burger Bar (replaced Saba on 4th near Fado in October) take the top two spots for gourmet burgers in Austin. Both have some fantasmical burgers, and their Oreo shakes are a thousand calories of heaven.

That said, I think the Congress burger from Second Bar is also pretty damn glorious, and competes well (too bad nothing else does at SB).
    Try the Nutella + Pretzel shake at Hopdoddy next time. It is divine.

Not sure if it has been discussed anywhere on here but since this came back to the top, I'll put it here...

Hopdoddy 2 is under way on Anderson Lane in the same shopping center as Sun & Ski Sports. Right next to the Pho place. I heard December opening originally but I think it's been pushed back a bit.

bunghole RB Version of HenryMelton slams and goes hard. RB Version of HenryMelton slams and goes hard. RB Version of HenryMelton slams and goes hard. RB Version of HenryMelton slams and goes hard. RB Version of HenryMelton slams and goes hard. RB Version of HenryMelton slams and goes hard. RB Version of HenryMelton slams and goes hard. RB Version of HenryMelton slams and goes hard. RB Version of HenryMelton slams and goes hard. RB Version of HenryMelton slams and goes hard. RB Version of HenryMelton slams and goes hard. RB Version of HenryMelton's Avatar
    What's on the Congress burger?

I really love burgers with a hot sauce and bleu cheese. The bacon and fried egg just put it over the top into heavenly at Hopdoddy.

Went to Stax last wknd and was quite happy with my burger, fries were just a bit more greasy than I like but still decent.

asshat Traffic is a rep whore. Traffic is a rep whore. Traffic is a rep whore. Traffic is a rep whore. Traffic is a rep whore. Traffic is a rep whore. Traffic is a rep whore. Traffic is a rep whore. Traffic is a rep whore. Traffic is a rep whore. Traffic is a rep whore. Traffic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RB Version of HenryMelton View Post
    What's on the Congress burger?
    I had it for lunch yesterday with a fried egg. it's fresh ground chuck & brisket with shallots and gruyere cheese. they have options to add an egg, pork belly and foie gras.

asshat ndawg grows his own roses ndawg grows his own roses ndawg grows his own roses ndawg grows his own roses ndawg grows his own roses ndawg grows his own roses ndawg grows his own roses ndawg grows his own roses ndawg grows his own roses ndawg grows his own roses ndawg grows his own roses
    I love the buffalo sauce/blue cheese burger so much (and now I realize I can get it with a fried egg woot!) that I have seldom tried anything else.

The continental burger (comes with brie on it) was pretty amazing, though the bites without brie were "meh." The seared ahi tuna "burger" is damned fine.

Agreed ndawg. Not sure I would ever be able to walk in and not order the buffalo bill. Buffalo sauce and blue cheese is the tits and you add bacon and fried egg to that. Holy $#@!ing $#@! I am posting the same thing I posted earlier...

+ Reply to Thread