+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Do I need WiFi both my HDTV AND Blu-Ray player?!?

Banned Outstanding is a Model Citizen Outstanding is a Model Citizen Outstanding is a Model Citizen Outstanding is a Model Citizen Outstanding is a Model Citizen Outstanding is a Model Citizen Outstanding is a Model Citizen Outstanding is a Model Citizen Outstanding is a Model Citizen Outstanding is a Model Citizen

Do I need WiFi both my HDTV AND Blu-Ray player?!?

or does one alone do the job?

The tv i recently purchased has wifi included. Therefore, is it really necessary to also buy a blu-ray player with wifi also? All I'm really interested in is streaming movies from netflix.

What are the reasons, if any, to need the internet on both? Thanks

asshat Rusk Shaggy Gold Club Rusk Shaggy Gold Club Rusk Shaggy Gold Club Rusk Shaggy Gold Club Rusk Shaggy Gold Club Rusk Shaggy Gold Club Rusk Shaggy Gold Club Rusk Shaggy Gold Club Rusk Shaggy Gold Club Rusk Shaggy Gold Club Rusk Shaggy Gold Club
    The tv would need the netflix ap. It might. But if it doesn't you need a player with the netflix ap. Or a game system with it. Wii, PS3, and xbox all have it.

asshat Luke Duke might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Luke Duke might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Luke Duke might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Luke Duke might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Luke Duke might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Luke Duke might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Luke Duke might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Luke Duke might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Luke Duke might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Luke Duke might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Luke Duke might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Luke Duke's Avatar
    My LG TV has Netflix built in, does yours?

Banned Outstanding is a Model Citizen Outstanding is a Model Citizen Outstanding is a Model Citizen Outstanding is a Model Citizen Outstanding is a Model Citizen Outstanding is a Model Citizen Outstanding is a Model Citizen Outstanding is a Model Citizen Outstanding is a Model Citizen Outstanding is a Model Citizen
    yeah, i have a samsung lnc650. I dont want to spend an extra $70 bucks on a blu-ray player with wifi when my tv is already capable of doing the same things

Quote Originally Posted by Outstanding View Post
    yeah, i have a samsung lnc650. I dont want to spend an extra $70 bucks on a blu-ray player with wifi when my tv is already capable of doing the same things
    How will you be handling the frequent firmware updates on your Blu-ray player without wi-fi?

asshat Rusk Shaggy Gold Club Rusk Shaggy Gold Club Rusk Shaggy Gold Club Rusk Shaggy Gold Club Rusk Shaggy Gold Club Rusk Shaggy Gold Club Rusk Shaggy Gold Club Rusk Shaggy Gold Club Rusk Shaggy Gold Club Rusk Shaggy Gold Club Rusk Shaggy Gold Club
    I think he saying he wouldn't get a player at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusk View Post
    I think he saying he wouldn't get a player at all.
    I thought that because he mentioned not spending the "extra $70", he was getting a player anyway, just maybe not one with the wifi.

asshat B grows his own roses B grows his own roses B grows his own roses B grows his own roses B grows his own roses B grows his own roses B grows his own roses B grows his own roses B grows his own roses B grows his own roses B grows his own roses
    Quote Originally Posted by Outstanding View Post
    You need to make sure your tv actually does do the same things. Just because it has wifi doesn't mean it automatically can stream netflix. It also has to have the netflix app on it. Some tvs or blu-rays have it and some don't.

asshat Lat22 Shaggy Gold Club Lat22 Shaggy Gold Club Lat22 Shaggy Gold Club Lat22 Shaggy Gold Club Lat22 Shaggy Gold Club Lat22 Shaggy Gold Club Lat22 Shaggy Gold Club Lat22 Shaggy Gold Club Lat22 Shaggy Gold Club Lat22 Shaggy Gold Club Lat22 Shaggy Gold Club Lat22's Avatar
    There are a few Samsung apps available on the TV that aren't through the blu ray player. Netflix is available on both.

asshat B grows his own roses B grows his own roses B grows his own roses B grows his own roses B grows his own roses B grows his own roses B grows his own roses B grows his own roses B grows his own roses B grows his own roses B grows his own roses
    Quote Originally Posted by Lat22 View Post
    There are a few Samsung apps available on the TV that aren't through the blu ray player. Netflix is available on both.
    I bought a Samsung plasma this year that has wifi and a bunch of apps, including flickr, blockbuster and a bunch of yahoo stuff, but no netflix or pandora. My Samsung blu-ray palyer doesn't have any yahoo apps but it does have netflix and pandora. It is weird to have that hodge-podge of apps from the same brand.

overachieving asshat idigTexas can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. idigTexas can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. idigTexas can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. idigTexas can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. idigTexas can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. idigTexas can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. idigTexas can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. idigTexas can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. idigTexas can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. idigTexas can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. idigTexas can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. idigTexas's Avatar
    I would love to be able to pick the apps I wanted, and have the rest of the $#@! disappear. I should be able to refresh the available apps list whenever I want, and make changes. It should work like my phone.

Wii does Netflix. Has anyone tried it?

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    Wii does Netflix. Has anyone tried it?
    Yes and it works great for me.

If you have Netflix on your TV and don't need the Blu-Ray for anything besides playing Blu-Rays, then there is no need for wifi on the Blu-Ray. Just make sure you can update the BR player firmware easily via some other method such as USB or straight ethernet.

My LG has Netflix build in and it is awesome. I have it plugged in directly, though, not WiFi. My TiVo also has it, and it is on Wifi. Both work pretty well, but the LG works better plugged in directly to the main router.

The wii works pretty well but can only stream 480p and stereo. The PS3 and maybe some bluray players can stream 720p and 1080p with 5.1 surround. Just FYI

thanks guys for all the help. i went with the cheaper one and will update the firmware through ethernet

+ Reply to Thread