+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wild Hog

Wild Hog

My son killed his first wild hog. I promised him we would clean and eat anything he killed, which I have harped on with him as a wannabe hunter since he was about 5 years old. Having said that, we killed over 40 hogs off of our place last year and I did not clean a single hog. They were all donated to locals who have no place to hunt but like to get free dead hogs. This particular hog was about 220 lbs and was fat and healthy. I had no qualms about giving this one a shot at the supper table.

Well I gutted, skinned, removed the backstrap/loins and quarted his hog. I had never seen a hog with this much fat, pound for pound. It looked juicy even under the knife. I then put all the meat in cooler on ice for 4 days. (I generally do this with hogs but with deer I do it for only 1 or 2 days) On New Years Eve, I removed a hind quarter and backstrap and froze the rest. I trimmed both keeping the appropriate amount of fat. I inserted 2 quartered garlic cloves about an inch into the hind quarter randomly spaced. Seasoned with a dry rub. Refrigerated overnight. Smoked the hind quarter at 180 - 210 for 7 hours.

It was perfect. It may look overdone in the picks but I assure it was not. I did overdo the backstrap which I cut into medallions, seasoned and wrapped in bacon. They were also good (no wild taste and very lean) but not perfect. The hind quarter had zero wild flavor as well and tasted like a very moist roast beef. It was outstanding. I am definately going to spend the time in the future to clean and quarter any hog (that meets the right qualifications). I serverd the hog for New Years Day with cabbage, black eyed peas, corn bread, etc. We purchased a ham as a backup and it went practically untouched by the wife, kids and inlaws. They all wanted the wild hog. Truly a success.

The pics below dont do it justice but here they are anyway. I know they fail in Shaggy terms due to lack of beer, boob, pistol, etc., and the money shot is blurry, but they are what I got.

Last edited by UTEX90; 01-04-2011 at 01:24 PM.

asshat judge roybeanbag might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? judge roybeanbag might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? judge roybeanbag might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? judge roybeanbag might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? judge roybeanbag might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? judge roybeanbag might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? judge roybeanbag might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? judge roybeanbag might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? judge roybeanbag might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? judge roybeanbag might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? judge roybeanbag might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? judge roybeanbag's Avatar
    Nice job! How hard was it to skin?

Quote Originally Posted by judge roybeanbag View Post
    Nice job! How hard was it to skin?
    Actually once I found the right knife it was quite easy. A regular knife would not go through the hair. I started using a skinning knife and it went like a hot knife through butter. Had I not had that knife it would have been a tough taske.

asshat Blain might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Blain might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Blain might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Blain might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Blain might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Blain might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Blain might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Blain might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Blain might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Blain might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Blain might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Blain's Avatar
    I have found that with wild hogs I have to smoke them about twice as long as a normal hog.

asshat Mr.Dolemite grows his own roses Mr.Dolemite grows his own roses Mr.Dolemite grows his own roses Mr.Dolemite grows his own roses Mr.Dolemite grows his own roses Mr.Dolemite grows his own roses Mr.Dolemite grows his own roses Mr.Dolemite grows his own roses Mr.Dolemite grows his own roses Mr.Dolemite grows his own roses Mr.Dolemite grows his own roses Mr.Dolemite's Avatar
    That is one happy kid. Nice job.

I'm a little disappointed. I wanted to see guts and entrails spilled out all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximumBarnes View Post
    I'm a little disappointed. I wanted to see guts and entrails spilled out all over the place.
    That was the best part about cleaning it. I was able to remove the guts with all organs intact except lungs. Not really messy or smelly. Kid did good on the shot.

asshat Blain might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Blain might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Blain might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Blain might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Blain might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Blain might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Blain might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Blain might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Blain might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Blain might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Blain might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Blain's Avatar
    Oh yeah, nice hog!

great pics but i question why you needed 4 unused spoons in the bottom pic.

asshat Snow Dog grows his own roses Snow Dog grows his own roses Snow Dog grows his own roses Snow Dog grows his own roses Snow Dog grows his own roses Snow Dog grows his own roses Snow Dog grows his own roses Snow Dog grows his own roses Snow Dog grows his own roses Snow Dog grows his own roses Snow Dog grows his own roses Snow Dog's Avatar
    Somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert
    Quote Originally Posted by Blain View Post
    I have found that with wild hogs I have to smoke them about twice as long as a normal hog.
    Due to trichinosis concerns?

asshat TOR has a gigantic e-peen. TOR has a gigantic e-peen. TOR has a gigantic e-peen. TOR has a gigantic e-peen. TOR has a gigantic e-peen. TOR has a gigantic e-peen. TOR has a gigantic e-peen. TOR has a gigantic e-peen. TOR has a gigantic e-peen. TOR has a gigantic e-peen. TOR has a gigantic e-peen. TOR's Avatar
    Just trying to be the best teammate I can be
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Wesley View Post
    great pics but i question why you needed 4 unused spoons in the bottom pic.

Maybe?

asshat Woland slams and goes hard. Woland slams and goes hard. Woland slams and goes hard. Woland slams and goes hard. Woland slams and goes hard. Woland slams and goes hard. Woland slams and goes hard. Woland slams and goes hard. Woland slams and goes hard. Woland slams and goes hard. Woland slams and goes hard.
    I was in a little town north of Dallas this weekend where I saw four dogs tied up in the back of a truck. One, evidently, was a Dogo Argentino dressed out with a kevlar vest and ready to hunt hog. It was the first time I had ever seen such a thing.
    Last edited by Woland; 01-04-2011 at 04:44 PM.

asshat hornian is a rep whore. hornian is a rep whore. hornian is a rep whore. hornian is a rep whore. hornian is a rep whore. hornian is a rep whore. hornian is a rep whore. hornian is a rep whore. hornian is a rep whore. hornian is a rep whore. hornian is a rep whore. hornian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UTEX90 View Post
    That was the best part about cleaning it. I was able to remove the guts with all organs intact except lungs. Not really messy or smelly. Kid did good on the shot.
    I shot an old eight point "management buck" a couple of days after Christmas - cleaning it was breeze. No blood at all until I opened up the diaphragm, and then the only organ missing was the heart, it literally just exploded from the shot and was soup. Not a bad shot at about 250 yards if I do say so myself.

asshat Anastasis Shaggy Gold Club Anastasis Shaggy Gold Club Anastasis Shaggy Gold Club Anastasis Shaggy Gold Club Anastasis Shaggy Gold Club Anastasis Shaggy Gold Club Anastasis Shaggy Gold Club Anastasis Shaggy Gold Club Anastasis Shaggy Gold Club Anastasis Shaggy Gold Club Anastasis Shaggy Gold Club Anastasis's Avatar
    tell us about the gun and the kill shot./

asshat Future Man can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Future Man can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Future Man can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Future Man can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Future Man can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Future Man can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Future Man can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Future Man can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Future Man can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Future Man can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Future Man can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Future Man's Avatar
    well, now i'm hungry. i hope you brought enough for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Dog View Post
    Due to trichinosis concerns?
    That and it's a leaner cut, it just seems to take longer for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Anastasis View Post
    tell us about the gun and the kill shot./
    Granddad got him a Remington 243 youth model with a 10X Leopold Scope for early Christmas. We sited it in and hunted over Thanksgiving. We did not shoot anything but saw a lot of animals. After Christams we had hunted several times seeing a few deer but none legal to shoot (one buck, antler restricted county, with doe permit requirements). Dont even get me started on antler restrictions regulations. Quite possibly the dumbest thing every thought of by TPWD. He will get his deer during youth season.

The property has about 8 permanent blinds but I hunt in a temporary ground blind. We have no working feeders on our property, which is the way I like it. I put down corn only where I am hunting at that particular time. I usually set up and hunt the blind for 2 or 3 days. Long story on the reason for this but that is how I roll.

My son sited in his gun the way he was going to hunt using a folding chair and triggersticks for support. He was a good shot so I had no worries about accuracy. On day 2.5 in the evening we spotted our first hog at about 4:00 p.m. I gave him the go ahead to shoot one particular hog out 4 adult hogs at about 90 yards but the hog would not stay still for more than a couple seconds while broadside. He didnt seem nervous but I could have shot the thing several times. He was a very large boar that I would have done a European Skull mount had he killed. A mother hog started fighting with the boar and the whole lot, shoats and all ran off. I kept telling him they would return but never did. About 4:45 another group came out. I picked the one I wanted him to shoot. Gave him the go ahead and he got nervous and told me so. He could not stop shaking and again they ran off after a few minutes. Again I was convinced they would return but never did. He was starting to get sick at the missed opportunities. At about 5:45 and getting very dark a much larger group of adult hogs came out, but not as close to the last two opportunities. Instead of singling out a hog I instruted him to shoot any but 2 of them. (one had shoats, the other was scrawny looking boar that I would have done nothing with) Anyway, he was really beating himself up about not shooting the first two times so I sensed he was going to pull the trigger, hit or miss. He shot at about 135 yards from the ground and hit the lungs. Hell I could not even see their legs so, I was even impressed. The hog ran off but was clearly hit. By the time I got to the woods it was near pitch dark. I could hear the hog rustling so I told him to stay there while I went in to get it. He looked at me like I had green skin. No way was he going anywhere that wasnt within a foot of me. He followed me into the woods and I dispatched the hog and drug it into the open. It really was a neat experience for not only my son and I but also for granddad who was at the ranch at the time. I did have to get help loading the hog onto my trailer.

faux aggy hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew's Avatar
    Great job! What did the hind quarter dress out at?

+ Reply to Thread