+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rifle comparison: Savage 110 vs Remington 700 vs Ruger M77?

asshat Grippe slams and goes hard. Grippe slams and goes hard. Grippe slams and goes hard. Grippe slams and goes hard. Grippe slams and goes hard. Grippe slams and goes hard. Grippe slams and goes hard. Grippe slams and goes hard. Grippe slams and goes hard. Grippe slams and goes hard. Grippe slams and goes hard. Grippe's Avatar

Rifle comparison: Savage 110 vs Remington 700 vs Ruger M77?

Dear Inglorious Shaggsters,
    I am finally going to put the cash down on a new deer rifle. I am going to keep two rifles to cover the spectrum of use: the smaller to go from varmints to mulies and the larger to go from deer to moose (a little overlap). Being a long time user of both 30-06 and 7mm Mag they seem like overkill and, to be blunt, the recoil is getting a bit long in the tooth for my shoulder if I'm just going to be slaying Bambi near Uvalde next year. I'll be going with the 25-06 because I've had a man crush on it for so long. With that in mind I've been poking around looking at the different manufacturers (I'm going new - daddy's earned himself a cherry for once) and writing down what I want. Must haves:
    • Accuracy
    • Durable
    • Light enough to not suck, heavy enough to stay put
    • Sythetic stock (I own enough showpieces, I want something functional that I'm not going to worry about scratching a bit)
    • SS Barrel

At this point I'm down to three manufactures: Savage, Remington and Ruger. What I'd like is some customer feedback from you guys on your experiences if you've owned two or three of the following:
    • Savage Model 110 (116FCSS)
    • Remington 700 (XCR)
    • Ruger M77 (Hawkeye)

My 30-06 was a Winchester 70 and my 7mm a Browning. Both of which were great but the triggers were both too stiff for my preference (I've had this problem with just about every weapon I've fired - I simplly like a very light squeeze). The Savage 116FCSS REALLY has my attention right now because it has the adjustable trigger and a stock that is suppossed to be as good as bedded that you can get. The other two, however, both have 24" barrels compared to the 22" on the Savage. Weights are pretty similar (6.5lbs, 7 3/8lbs & 8lbs respectively).

asshat handcruser grows his own roses handcruser grows his own roses handcruser grows his own roses handcruser grows his own roses handcruser grows his own roses handcruser grows his own roses handcruser grows his own roses handcruser grows his own roses handcruser grows his own roses handcruser grows his own roses handcruser grows his own roses handcruser's Avatar
    I like the Savage, but don't really know too much about rifles. I have heard there are some QC issues with Remmy.

DERPTY DERP DERRP ACK!! MrPhlegm Shaggy Gold Club MrPhlegm Shaggy Gold Club MrPhlegm Shaggy Gold Club MrPhlegm Shaggy Gold Club MrPhlegm Shaggy Gold Club MrPhlegm Shaggy Gold Club MrPhlegm Shaggy Gold Club MrPhlegm Shaggy Gold Club MrPhlegm Shaggy Gold Club MrPhlegm Shaggy Gold Club MrPhlegm Shaggy Gold Club MrPhlegm's Avatar
    don't know about the XCR but I have a Rem 700 bdl (left hand) in .308 and I like it fine.

bunghole DertyBerd slams and goes hard. DertyBerd slams and goes hard. DertyBerd slams and goes hard. DertyBerd slams and goes hard. DertyBerd slams and goes hard. DertyBerd slams and goes hard. DertyBerd slams and goes hard. DertyBerd slams and goes hard. DertyBerd slams and goes hard. DertyBerd slams and goes hard. DertyBerd slams and goes hard.
    Buy a $#@!ing Browning and have a gunsmith fix the trigger. Treat it like an investment. I am now posting on worthless posts so I can start my own post. How many does it takes?

Cowboys and Texans fan ! tx 3 putt Shaggy Gold Club tx 3 putt Shaggy Gold Club tx 3 putt Shaggy Gold Club tx 3 putt Shaggy Gold Club tx 3 putt Shaggy Gold Club tx 3 putt Shaggy Gold Club tx 3 putt Shaggy Gold Club tx 3 putt Shaggy Gold Club tx 3 putt Shaggy Gold Club tx 3 putt Shaggy Gold Club tx 3 putt Shaggy Gold Club tx 3 putt's Avatar
    doesnt the remington have a history of just firing ?

asshat Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke's Avatar
    Is recoil really that big of a deal for a deer rifle?

Rep-A Ponzi Scheme MP5 Shaggy Gold Club MP5 Shaggy Gold Club MP5 Shaggy Gold Club MP5 Shaggy Gold Club MP5 Shaggy Gold Club MP5 Shaggy Gold Club MP5 Shaggy Gold Club MP5 Shaggy Gold Club MP5 Shaggy Gold Club MP5 Shaggy Gold Club MP5 Shaggy Gold Club MP5's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tx 3 putt View Post
    doesnt the remington have a history of just firing ?
    You mean just going off? God that sounds bad but not in my experience. I love the 700, its a tack driver and has a long military history. Carlos Hath$#@! for the win

bunghole DertyBerd slams and goes hard. DertyBerd slams and goes hard. DertyBerd slams and goes hard. DertyBerd slams and goes hard. DertyBerd slams and goes hard. DertyBerd slams and goes hard. DertyBerd slams and goes hard. DertyBerd slams and goes hard. DertyBerd slams and goes hard. DertyBerd slams and goes hard. DertyBerd slams and goes hard.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW0Xx4DXkYk

Worried about kick hunting deer? If you can´t bring it down with one you may need dad to come with you. Can you even sight a rifle? $#@! me.
    Last edited by DertyBerd; 03-12-2011 at 06:20 PM.

asshat pescado_rojo Shaggy Gold Club pescado_rojo Shaggy Gold Club pescado_rojo Shaggy Gold Club pescado_rojo Shaggy Gold Club pescado_rojo Shaggy Gold Club pescado_rojo Shaggy Gold Club pescado_rojo Shaggy Gold Club pescado_rojo Shaggy Gold Club pescado_rojo Shaggy Gold Club pescado_rojo Shaggy Gold Club pescado_rojo Shaggy Gold Club pescado_rojo's Avatar
    I have a Tikka in .25-06 and absolutely love it. It's a $#@!ing tack driver. Mine is about 9-10 years old now and no problems. Tikka is made by Sako of Finland, so the quality is great. They just don't have the finnish (see what I did there) of a Sako, but they are just as accurate. Stainless action, fully floated barrel, etc.

http://www.tikka.fi/t3models.php?litess

asshat pescado_rojo Shaggy Gold Club pescado_rojo Shaggy Gold Club pescado_rojo Shaggy Gold Club pescado_rojo Shaggy Gold Club pescado_rojo Shaggy Gold Club pescado_rojo Shaggy Gold Club pescado_rojo Shaggy Gold Club pescado_rojo Shaggy Gold Club pescado_rojo Shaggy Gold Club pescado_rojo Shaggy Gold Club pescado_rojo Shaggy Gold Club pescado_rojo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DertyBerd View Post
    Buy a $#@!ing Browning and have a gunsmith fix the trigger. Treat it like an investment. I am now posting on worthless posts so I can start my own post. How many does it takes?
    A lot at the rate you're going

Rep-A Ponzi Scheme MP5 Shaggy Gold Club MP5 Shaggy Gold Club MP5 Shaggy Gold Club MP5 Shaggy Gold Club MP5 Shaggy Gold Club MP5 Shaggy Gold Club MP5 Shaggy Gold Club MP5 Shaggy Gold Club MP5 Shaggy Gold Club MP5 Shaggy Gold Club MP5 Shaggy Gold Club MP5's Avatar
    I dont know this .25-06 round, but why is it needed over a 30-06? I gather its better than a .270 though

.25-06 is a .30-06 cartridge necked down to a .25 caliber bullet. It's a faster round, and has a very flat trajectory and is extremely accurate at long range. Because it's a smaller bullet, it doesn't do as much damage to surrounding flesh as the .30-06, but has more knockdown power than a .243. I think it's a great white tail caliber, and I wouldn't hesitate to take it Mule deer or Pronghorn hunting.

Love my Tikka 25-06, awesome, awesome gun. I'd say Tikka or Remington.

asshat williemackgarza slams and goes hard. williemackgarza slams and goes hard. williemackgarza slams and goes hard. williemackgarza slams and goes hard. williemackgarza slams and goes hard. williemackgarza slams and goes hard. williemackgarza slams and goes hard. williemackgarza slams and goes hard. williemackgarza slams and goes hard. williemackgarza slams and goes hard. williemackgarza slams and goes hard. williemackgarza's Avatar
    Ive only owned remingtons.
    Got a bdl .25-06. Awesome caliber. Flat, fast, low recoil.
    Cdl sf .280. Enough knockdown for almost anything.
    Im sold on remington.
    Id only go tikka t3 stainless if i were to change.
    Savages are ugly same for ruger actions.
    Not that looks matter much

Quote Originally Posted by pescado_rojo View Post
    .25-06 is a .30-06 cartridge necked down to a .25 caliber bullet. It's a faster round, and has a very flat trajectory and is extremely accurate at long range. Because it's a smaller bullet, it doesn't do as much damage to surrounding flesh as the .30-06, but has more knockdown power than a .243. I think it's a great white tail caliber, and I wouldn't hesitate to take it Mule deer or Pronghorn hunting.
    A Man, how does it dispose of a Man?

asshat BattleHall slams and goes hard. BattleHall slams and goes hard. BattleHall slams and goes hard. BattleHall slams and goes hard. BattleHall slams and goes hard. BattleHall slams and goes hard. BattleHall slams and goes hard. BattleHall slams and goes hard. BattleHall slams and goes hard. BattleHall slams and goes hard. BattleHall slams and goes hard. BattleHall's Avatar
    25-06 = 30-06 necked down to .25 cal
    .270 = 30-06 necked down to .277 cal (6.8mm) and slightly lengthened
    .280 = 30-06 necked down to .284 cal (7mm)
    338-06 = 30-06 necked up to .338 cal
    35 Whelen = 30-06 necked up to .35 cal

Necking down will shoot a lighter bullet faster, which leads to a flatter trajectory at middle ranges, but for longer range work it's actually better to use a heavier, high-BC bullet since they will maintain velocity better. Also, if you shoot a lot (i.e. more than just a handful of sighters at the beginning of the season + a couple at deer), heavily overbore rounds will tend to burn barrels much quicker.

asshat Dontshootrude grows his own roses Dontshootrude grows his own roses Dontshootrude grows his own roses Dontshootrude grows his own roses Dontshootrude grows his own roses Dontshootrude grows his own roses Dontshootrude grows his own roses Dontshootrude grows his own roses Dontshootrude grows his own roses Dontshootrude grows his own roses Dontshootrude grows his own roses Dontshootrude's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MP5 View Post
    You mean just going off? God that sounds bad but not in my experience. I love the 700, its a tack driver and has a long military history. Carlos Hath$#@! for the win
    Actually Hath$#@! used a Winchester m70.

The 700 had a rare problem of going off when the safety was disengaged. Remington denied it but it has been well documented. It effected less than 1% of the rifles though.

Here is my breakdown

Savage- great rifle, best bang for the buck.

Remington 700- excellent rifle. I have an ltr. There are tons of aftermarket parts, so if you want a rifle that is easy to trick out this is the one to get. If you are worried about the gun firing problem get a jewel or timney trigger. They are amazing and they correct the firing issue.

Ruger - no experience, but for hunting I am sure it is fine. It is hard to $#@! up a bolt gun.

The next question to ask is what scope to get. The glass is just as important if not more important than the gun.

asshat kevwun is a rep whore. kevwun is a rep whore. kevwun is a rep whore. kevwun is a rep whore. kevwun is a rep whore. kevwun is a rep whore. kevwun is a rep whore. kevwun is a rep whore. kevwun is a rep whore. kevwun is a rep whore. kevwun is a rep whore. kevwun's Avatar
    I have a Remington M700 Sendero. It has a synthetic stock and is stainless. It's weighs alot because it has a heavy 26" barrell, but I wouldn't trade it for anything. Shoots great. They don't currently make it in anything but magnum calibers, but they did make it in .270 and .25-06 in the past.

I have the 700 SPS in 25-06. I would definitely recommend it.

Nothing to add except that I have a left handed Weatherby Mark V Deluxe 7mm.

asshat happy fun ball can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. happy fun ball can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. happy fun ball can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. happy fun ball can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. happy fun ball can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. happy fun ball can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. happy fun ball can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. happy fun ball can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. happy fun ball can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. happy fun ball can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. happy fun ball can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. happy fun ball's Avatar
    I got a 700bdl .270 on and a 12g 1100 for my 16th birthday. Lucky kid, my dad was having a good year. More than made up for the mongoose he never got me.

The 270 has been great for the last 25 years. Obviously never went off with safety release.

The 1100 I irretrievably $#@!ed up through a consistent lack of maintenance. Never get a lazy kid a semi-auto anything.

+ Reply to Thread