+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2011 Boston Red Sox Thread

asshat Bacone Cap is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Bacone Cap is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Bacone Cap is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Bacone Cap is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Bacone Cap is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Bacone Cap is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Bacone Cap is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Bacone Cap is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Bacone Cap is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Bacone Cap is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Bacone Cap is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares?

Official 2011 Boston Red Sox Thread

This team looks legit and management brought in premier pickups this offseason in Crawford and Gonzalez. They've hopefully taken care of the problem that Papelbon was last season by having another go to big closer in Jenks and Wheeler. If anything, it gives Francona options instead of having to go Bard/Papelbon 6 days a week. There were very few times last season where I felt that Papelbon could get the job done efficiently.

Assuming Beckett doesn't have another off year like last year, I don't see a pitching staff that compares to them. Beckett, Lester, Buccholz, Lackey, and Matsuzaka finished off with a combination of Bard, Papelbon, Jenks, and Wheeler. Get out of here.

The only real question in the line up is Salty at C backed up by the Captain. Scutaro/Lowrie aren't much of an offensive threat but with the rest of the lineup hitting behind him/them, any hit or any time they get on base will be a bonus. It would be nice if Ortiz got his bat going a little earlier this year.

With all of the injuries the Red Sox had last year, 3rd place wasn't so bad. IMO, I don't think the Yankees did enough to help their pitching staff with Pettitte retiring and we took one of Tampa's best players. Ellsbury, Pedroia, Youkilis,and Cameron played a combined 243 games last year. If this team can stay healthy then I'm putting my money on them for the title.

Red Sox V. Phillies in the Series.

Red Sox in 7.

thanks obama jt Probably Shaggy Upper Class jt Probably Shaggy Upper Class jt Probably Shaggy Upper Class jt Probably Shaggy Upper Class jt Probably Shaggy Upper Class jt Probably Shaggy Upper Class jt Probably Shaggy Upper Class jt Probably Shaggy Upper Class jt Probably Shaggy Upper Class jt Probably Shaggy Upper Class jt Probably Shaggy Upper Class jt's Avatar
    haven't done much preseason reading up, but saw today on espn that papelbon is healthy, so i'm hoping he's back to being the shut down closer he was before. wish i could make it to houston next week for the game. hope beckett's healthy again as well.

asshat Beau Vine GORN Beau Vine GORN Beau Vine GORN Beau Vine GORN Beau Vine GORN Beau Vine GORN Beau Vine GORN Beau Vine GORN Beau Vine GORN Beau Vine GORN Beau Vine GORN Beau Vine's Avatar
    I am unusually optimistic.

I really like the roster, and all the bad $#@! hopefully got out of the system last season.

asshat Bacone Cap is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Bacone Cap is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Bacone Cap is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Bacone Cap is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Bacone Cap is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Bacone Cap is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Bacone Cap is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Bacone Cap is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Bacone Cap is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Bacone Cap is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Bacone Cap is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares?
    Quote Originally Posted by jt View Post
    haven't done much preseason reading up, but saw today on espn that papelbon is healthy, so i'm hoping he's back to being the shut down closer he was before. wish i could make it to houston next week for the game. hope beckett's healthy again as well.
    I agree.

I don't think I remember a game where either of them had their best stuff all year long. I'd like to see a stat comparing their fastballs with 2009 with 2010. Both of them were consistently in the low 90's this last season and it was like the opponents were just sitting there waiting on one. I HOPE that is all out of their systems and they both stay/get healthy this season.

asshat TheCruiser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TheCruiser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TheCruiser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TheCruiser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TheCruiser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TheCruiser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TheCruiser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TheCruiser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TheCruiser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TheCruiser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TheCruiser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TheCruiser's Avatar
    health is the only issue I see. I know that's true for most stacked teams, but the guys on this Sox team aren't particularly old but many of them have a long track record of falling apart physically half-way thru a season. well and the other issue is what the $#@! to do with all those filthy good left-handed sticks.

thanks obama jt Probably Shaggy Upper Class jt Probably Shaggy Upper Class jt Probably Shaggy Upper Class jt Probably Shaggy Upper Class jt Probably Shaggy Upper Class jt Probably Shaggy Upper Class jt Probably Shaggy Upper Class jt Probably Shaggy Upper Class jt Probably Shaggy Upper Class jt Probably Shaggy Upper Class jt Probably Shaggy Upper Class jt's Avatar
    theo will be on rome today at 12:00 in austin.

kind of off topic, but my son's first coach pitch team is the red sox. not that excited about it since there are some serious dooshy red sox fans at the ballpark these days. his first game is on the 21st and at his first practice i took it all in watching him run the bases, hit live pitching and all that stuff. i sat there thinking to myself that my son and I are about to embark on an incredible experience together. no matter what happens we will always havebaseball, one of the best gifts a father can give his son.

$#@! it. at least it's not the yankees. go red sox (my son's teams and your squad). may the best team win.

asshat Soul Glo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Soul Glo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Soul Glo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Soul Glo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Soul Glo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Soul Glo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Soul Glo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Soul Glo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Soul Glo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Soul Glo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Soul Glo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Soul Glo's Avatar

asshat spystud13 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? spystud13 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? spystud13 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? spystud13 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? spystud13 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? spystud13 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? spystud13 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? spystud13 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? spystud13 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? spystud13 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? spystud13 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge?
    Is that someone famous, or just a random chick? Kinda looks like Hayden P...

asshat Soul Glo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Soul Glo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Soul Glo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Soul Glo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Soul Glo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Soul Glo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Soul Glo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Soul Glo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Soul Glo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Soul Glo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Soul Glo might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Soul Glo's Avatar
    not sure, but boy she ought to be famous

seems to possess much larger cans than Hayden P.

degenerate dbecks Shaggy Gold Club dbecks Shaggy Gold Club dbecks Shaggy Gold Club dbecks Shaggy Gold Club dbecks Shaggy Gold Club dbecks Shaggy Gold Club dbecks Shaggy Gold Club dbecks Shaggy Gold Club dbecks Shaggy Gold Club dbecks Shaggy Gold Club dbecks Shaggy Gold Club dbecks's Avatar
    Apparently Dice-K is on the trading block.

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/mlb...ory?id=6210103

I'm personally not a fan of trading him. His stock is still quite low, and they'd have to eat most of his salary this year. I like this team as-is. And don't even think of trading Wake...

i've got no problem losing dice-k whatsoever. he brings absolutely nothing to the table for me.

asshat Beau Vine GORN Beau Vine GORN Beau Vine GORN Beau Vine GORN Beau Vine GORN Beau Vine GORN Beau Vine GORN Beau Vine GORN Beau Vine GORN Beau Vine GORN Beau Vine GORN Beau Vine's Avatar
    I hate watching him pitch. 5 innings, 100 pitches, 2 hours... unwatchable.

I wouldn't miss him if we cut him.

degenerate dbecks Shaggy Gold Club dbecks Shaggy Gold Club dbecks Shaggy Gold Club dbecks Shaggy Gold Club dbecks Shaggy Gold Club dbecks Shaggy Gold Club dbecks Shaggy Gold Club dbecks Shaggy Gold Club dbecks Shaggy Gold Club dbecks Shaggy Gold Club dbecks Shaggy Gold Club dbecks's Avatar
    I definitely wouldn't miss his starts, but I think it'd be a bad deal to still pay him $4-7 mil to have him pitch for another team, just so we can get a 3rd catcher and/or a 3rd lefty in the bullpen. If Dice-K isn't the 5th starter, Wake is probably next in line. I have a soft spot for Wake, but I don't want to see him making 25+ starts this season. Both Doubront and Bowden look like viable options long-term, but I doubt Theo & co. want either of them to start games in April. Oh, and I'd imagine it wouldn't be the easiest thing to convince Dice to waive his NTC if a deal got worked out for a team that isn't on either one of the coasts.

i don't give two $#@!s what it costs the billionaire owners. you do remember that they dropped $50m just to have the rights to sign the guy, right? since when are the sox worried about money?

i love wakefield as well, but it wouldn't break my heart to see him go either. tek probably needs to go too - i have a man crush on him as a leader, but he brings so little to the table now, how is he worth even a roster spot? papi needs to have a steroid like year, or he'll be in the same boat w/ me, and that guy is my freaking idol. i <3 him all kinds of homo.

the return of becket and lackey will be key. it is interesting to me that they seem to be anxious to deal Papelbon. Kinda like with Bucholz a couple of years ago... bet they are glad they didn't do that.
    With VMart and Beltre, I think they were just able to come up with pieces that fit better (AGon & Crawford).

Of course it ain't my money, but I'd still like to see the organization not make poor financial decisions. It's nice to sit back and say "we should trade so-and-so", but of all the players on the roster, Dice & Wake probably have the least return of anyone. This team can win 100 games as-is. If they start tinkering at this point until we even know what Dice/Bowden/Felix are made of, it could bite us in the ass come September.

Quote Originally Posted by cochamps View Post
    the return of becket and lackey will be key. it is interesting to me that they seem to be anxious to deal Papelbon. Kinda like with Bucholz a couple of years ago... bet they are glad they didn't do that.
    Absolutely agree with the bolded part.

Clay's problem was that he was just so immature. He was going to get better if he could just stay off the weed (minors) and the women (majors). Papelbon isn't going to get any better than he was in 2008. And he's about to get a ton more expensive..

asshat spystud13 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? spystud13 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? spystud13 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? spystud13 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? spystud13 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? spystud13 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? spystud13 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? spystud13 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? spystud13 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? spystud13 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? spystud13 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge?
    Bobby V just asked Lucchino about Salty having to learn a new league... That's $#@!ed up, was Texas in the NL recently, or did Bos move there in the offseason?

asshat TheCruiser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TheCruiser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TheCruiser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TheCruiser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TheCruiser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TheCruiser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TheCruiser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TheCruiser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TheCruiser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TheCruiser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TheCruiser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TheCruiser's Avatar
    "learn a new league"? I'm sure getting used to the double-switch and wooden bats was dumbfounding...

Look at the Asian bowing up...

Daisuke Matsuzaka said his pitching coach, Curt Young, "advised" him to throw more strikes Tuesday. Well, he got the memo.

Dice-K rescued his spring from the Grapefruit League crisis watch with five two-hit, five-whiff, one-walk shutout innings Tuesday, against the Tigers' "A" lineup. And afterward, his catcher, Jason Varitek, said it all started with the fact that he was able to locate home plate on his radar screen.

"He was able to establish himself today," Varitek said after the Red Sox's 2-1 win over Detroit in 10 innings. "He had a good mix. And it started with location first. And we were able to do different things after that. He was good today."

This was Dice-K's first start since adjusting his between-starts routine so that he wasn't throwing long-toss and bullpen sessions on the same day. And he said afterward that this game went so well, "I want to continue with this [before] my next outing."

But manager Terry Francona downplayed suggestions that the change in routine had a big impact in this start.

"I just think he pitched real well," Francona said. "I think long-term, the change in routine will really help, as far as just keeping arm strength. I don't know that that's going to help him throw strikes. I just think it was a mindset of pounding the strike zone. And he did a really good job today."

Matsuzaka entered this game with an 11.42 ERA and 17 baserunners allowed (12 hits, 5 walks) in 8 2/3 innings over three starts. But he was sharp enough to zip through 1-2-3 innings in three of his five innings Tuesday.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/mlb...ory?id=6221410

asshat Bevoette Shaggy Gold Club Bevoette Shaggy Gold Club Bevoette Shaggy Gold Club Bevoette Shaggy Gold Club Bevoette Shaggy Gold Club Bevoette Shaggy Gold Club Bevoette Shaggy Gold Club Bevoette Shaggy Gold Club Bevoette Shaggy Gold Club Bevoette Shaggy Gold Club Bevoette Shaggy Gold Club Bevoette's Avatar
    I'm so excited! we got tickets to the July 2nd Red Sox vs Astros game! woo hoo baby!

That'll be a great weekend. I'm even excited about the exhibition game at Minute Maid on the 30th. Now that Dice is "back" the season can't start soon enough.

Pretty solid when Beckett is your #4...

Manager Terry Francona announced the rest of the Red Sox's starting rotation Thursday morning after naming Jon Lester the Opening Day starter on Wednesday.

John Lackey, Clay Buchholz, Josh Beckett and Daisuke Matsuzaka will be Nos. 2 through 5 at the outset, Francona said, for at least two turns of the regular season.

That news did not come as a surprise to any of them. Francona said he has known for some time that this is how he wanted to line them up, but he did not go public with it in the event someone got hurt.

Even with an off-day April 4 in Cleveland, Francona said he will not alter the order, which puts Lackey in line to pitch the home opener April 8 against the New York Yankees.

"Lackey has a way of matching up against whoever he's pitching against," Francona said, "whether it's a No. 1 or No. 5, you look up in the seventh inning [and] you have a chance to win, which we really like.

"Buck did so good. I think we feel having Buck come out third just enhances our chance to win a little bit. Buck's numbers would say he could pitch anywhere. I just think Lack's a veteran, he's done it, spacing [Buchholz] and Lester out, there's something to be said for that, too.

"Lack showed up in great shape and looks ready to go. Ultimately, if they pitch like they should it's not going to matter, and if they don't pitch like they should, it's not going to matter."

Francona said the start Beckett missed after sustaining a concussion when he was struck by a ball in batting practice did not factor into his being slotted fourth after pitching the opener the past two seasons.

"I just think just watching the way last year unfolded we want to get him off to a good start," Francona said. "We'll pitch him in that game in Cleveland. I think that's a good place for him to start."

Beckett said he'll accept his spot in the rotation.

"It is what it is," Beckett said. "I don't get paid to make those decisions. Tito makes those decisions. I don't want that job. I never want that job. I'll let him make those decisions and I'll go out and do the best I can to put us in the best position to win."
    Full article.

i don't see that as a good thing. that tells me beckett isn't 100%.

asshat BigHerm24 is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? BigHerm24 is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? BigHerm24 is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? BigHerm24 is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? BigHerm24 is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? BigHerm24 is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? BigHerm24 is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? BigHerm24 is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? BigHerm24 is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? BigHerm24 is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? BigHerm24 is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? BigHerm24's Avatar
    i don't see that as a good thing. that tells me beckett isn't 100%.
    Just for comparisons sake... would yall say Phils or Bosox rotation is better? If you go buy spot in the rotation i think it breaks down like this...

Halladay > Lester
    Lee > Lackey
    Hamels < Bucholz
    Oswalt = Beckett
    Blanton < DiceK

i'd say that's fairly accurate.

any of you other sox fans heading up to arlington next week? i'm unemployed and broke, but i'm going to head up there and see if i can mooch a ticket from a buddy or maybe just hang out and tailgate. i need to see at least one game of the 3.
    Last edited by jt; 03-22-2011 at 09:59 AM.

Phillies rotation is better and less likely to crumble to injuries. I would give a slight nod to the Sox lineup, again based on health and taking into account the DH. Both teams have proven they are more than happy making late season transactions/roster moves so hard to say who'd have the edge in a series.

asshat BigHerm24 is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? BigHerm24 is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? BigHerm24 is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? BigHerm24 is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? BigHerm24 is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? BigHerm24 is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? BigHerm24 is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? BigHerm24 is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? BigHerm24 is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? BigHerm24 is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? BigHerm24 is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? BigHerm24's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCruiser View Post
    Phillies rotation is better and less likely to crumble to injuries. I would give a slight nod to the Sox lineup, again based on health and taking into account the DH. Both teams have proven they are more than happy making late season transactions/roster moves so hard to say who'd have the edge in a series.
    I think you guys have a better lineup hands down.

Victorino > Ellsbury
    Rollins < Pedroia
    Utley < Crawford (due to injury) its tough who I would take if Utley was healthy
    Howard < Gonzalez (Dude is awesome, contact and power to all fields)
    Ibanez < Youkalis
    Polanco > Ortiz/Scutaro depending on NL/AL (I just love polanco's contact and moving runners along, solid hitter)
    RF Platoon < JD Drew
    Ruiz > Varitek?

catcher is Saltamacchia, with Varitek maybe going 1-2x/week.

same thing... Ruiz > Salty

It's Saltalamacchia. Also accepted is HS Gym Teacher $#@!er.
    Last edited by Yuk-Monkey; 03-22-2011 at 11:19 PM.

asshat naked_bongo is a rep whore. naked_bongo is a rep whore. naked_bongo is a rep whore. naked_bongo is a rep whore. naked_bongo is a rep whore. naked_bongo is a rep whore. naked_bongo is a rep whore. naked_bongo is a rep whore. naked_bongo is a rep whore. naked_bongo is a rep whore. naked_bongo is a rep whore. naked_bongo's Avatar
    Here is my not-so objective assessment of everything Red Sox / Phillies / Yankees / Giants related.

Line-ups.
    1. Yankees
    2. Phillies
    3. Red Sox
    4. Giants
    Big gap between Red Sox and Giants. There are probably at least 10 line-ups better than the Giants.

SP
    1. Phillies
    2. Giants
    3. Red Sox
    4. Yankees
    Big gap between Red Sox and Yankees. The Yankees have major problems at the 3-5 rotation spots.

RP
    1. Giants
    2. Yankees
    3. Red Sox
    4. Phillies
    About even across the board, but the Giants set-up men and Wilson assuming he's healthy have a distinct advantage.

Given that, I would rank the Phillies and Red Sox as the class of each league with the Yankees and Giants trailing right behind.
    Last edited by naked_bongo; 03-22-2011 at 11:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by naked_bongo View Post
    Here is my not-so objective assessment of everything Red Sox / Phillies / Yankees / Giants related.

Line-ups.
    1. Yankees
    2. Phillies
    3. Red Sox
    4. Giants
    Big gap between Red Sox and Giants. There are probably at least 10 line-ups better than the Giants.

SP
    1. Phillies
    2. Giants
    3. Red Sox
    4. Yankees
    Big gap between Red Sox and Yankees. The Yankees have major problems at the 3-5 rotation spots.

RP
    1. Giants
    2. Yankees
    3. Red Sox
    4. Phillies
    About even across the board, but the Giants set-up men and Wilson assuming he's healthy have a distinct advantage.

Given that, I would rank the Phillies and Red Sox as the class of each league with the Yankees and Giants trailing right behind.
    agree with you in every category except lineups... think Sox are above Phils, and possibly yanks...

Sox lineup is better than the MFYs.

LF: Crawford >> Gardner
    CF: Ellsbury < Granderson
    RF: Drew > Swisher
    1B: Gonzo = Teixiera (possibly slight edge to Gonzo)
    2B: Pedroia < Cano
    SS: Scutaro/Lowrie > Jeter (mainly because either of those guys can meet/exceed Jeter's production)
    3B: Youk = A-Rod (possibly slight edge to Youk -- he's younger, A-Rod's #s have steadily declined over the last 3 years, and Youk's OPS was actually higher over the last 2 seasons)
    C: Salty/Tek = Martin
    DH: Papi > Posada (possibly >>)

And factoring in a strong bench, the Sox have the best lineup in baseball. Assuming they stay relatively injury-free, of course...

Drew is no longer better than Swisher, A-Gon is MILES ahead of Tex, & both Cs will suck. Some of you guys seriously need to take the blinders off every once in a while...

And Granderson is now hurt.
    Last edited by spystud13; 03-24-2011 at 05:19 AM.

Id say Jeter is still better than Scutaro, and if you would take Youk over Arod (as much as I hate him) you are retarded.

Arod had 30 HRs and 125 RBIs, Youk had 19 HRs and 62 RBIs... but at least he had a better OPS...
    Last edited by BigHerm24; 03-24-2011 at 09:20 AM.

scutaro $#@!ing sucks. i hope he gets pushed in front of the t.

Quote Originally Posted by BigHerm24 View Post
    Id say Jeter is still better than Scutaro, and if you would take Youk over Arod (as much as I hate him) you are retarded.

Arod had 30 HRs and 125 RBIs, Youk had 19 HRs and 62 RBIs... but at least he had a better OPS...
    Youkilis also missed 60 games last year and had significantly less RBI chances than A-Rod had. Using Youkilis' stats compared with Arod's for last year:

Keep in mind Arod played 35 more games than Youkilis did.

Arod had more homeruns as expected since Youkilis isn't a power hitter. Youk had a better batting average (.307 when he got hurt). Youk had 3 MORE runs through 100 games than A-Rod had with 35 more games (3rd in the AL at the time). Arod had 1 more walk than Youk did with 35 more games (Youkilis was tied for 5th--AL). Youk had a .564 slugging percentage for 8th in the American league (.798 against lefties) where Rodriguez ended with .506. Youk had .411 OBP (also 3rd in the American league) and Arod had .341. Congratulations Arod you had 61 extra base hits while Youkilis had 50.

Youk wins in avg, OBP, slugging, runs, and walks. A Rod wins HR's and RBI's. Wash with the Extra Base Hits. With this line up, Youkilis' RBI's and average are going to go up now that he is going to see better pitches to hit due to the players surrounding him now.

Crawford
    Pedroia
    Youkilis
    Gonzales
    Papi
    Drew
    Scutaro
    Salty
    Ellsbury

This isn't even taking into account defensive play.

I'm taking a full season from Youkilis over A Rod. If that makes me retarded then give me a $#@!ing water hose so I can fill up my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacone Cap View Post
    Keep in mind Arod played 35 more games than Youkilis did.

This isn't even taking into account defensive play.
    dont think youk was gonna double his RBIs, and hit 12 bombs in 30 games... when he had 19 and 62 in 120ish...

also didnt know defense came into play when discussing which lineup is better offensively. can he make an out in the field to somehow up his offensive stats?

Quote Originally Posted by BigHerm24 View Post
    dont think youk was gonna double his RBIs, and hit 12 bombs in 30 games... when he had 19 and 62 in 120ish...

also didnt know defense came into play when discussing which lineup is better offensively. can he make an out in the field to somehow up his offensive stats?
    I've already admitted above that A Rod won those two categories as he SHOULD have. Youkilis will continue getting his mid 20 homeruns and 90ish RBI's which is just what the Red Sox want from him. That's not really what Rodriguez gets paid for. He gets paid for the 35+ HR and 130+ RBI's. Even with the Red Sox line up as it is projected right now, Youkilis won't get A Rod type RBI numbers this year. If that is the only thing you look for when comparing line ups then you and all of the A Rod's in the world aren't going to get very far. Reading comprehension is hard so I'm sorry about that. Youkilis is the complete offensive player right now. A Rod is not. He used to be but he isn't anymore.

As for your "can he make an out in the field to somehow up his offensive stats" question, obviously the answer to that is no. Is offensive statistics what the general thread is talking about? No. To quote dbecks who posed the lineup comparison between the Yanks and Red Sox "Sox lineup is better than the MFYs."

If you make an error in the field that gives up 2 runs later in the inning then who gives a $#@! if you hit a towering solo home run? Good for you. Now go hit another one so you can break even. My point was, if you can get it done on the other side of the ball as well, you don't have to have 150 RBI's and 40 HR's every year. If you don't screw up 24 times in the field like A Rod did in 2006 his 35 HR's he had that year might have helped his team a lot more.

If you are looking for a line up card then you'd be remiss to not include the defensive side of the ball as well. If we're talking about offensive statistics only (which apparently you are focusing on), that would be called a batting order. Try to keep up, chief.
    Last edited by Bacone Cap; 03-25-2011 at 12:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacone Cap View Post
    I'm taking a full season from Youkilis over A Rod. If that makes me retarded then give me a $#@!ing water hose so I can fill up my head.
    Agreed. A-Rod is obviously the bigger "superstar," but I'd rather have Youk at 3B.

And I'm definitely wrong about Drew > Swisher. I forgot that Swisher has been pretty damn good over the last two years. That being said, I'll take the Sox lineup (and pitching rotation) over the Yanks without hesitation. Can't wait for the season to start. Hell, I'm even excited about the exhibition game at Minute Maid next week.

got my tickets for saturday night and i'm working on friday. this will be the earliest mlb baseball game ever. probably only been to one game before july 4 in my lifetime.

How are the ticket prices this year at the ballpark compared to last year now that the Rangers have had a little success? I'm unfortunately not going to be able to get out there this weekend. Pretty bummed about it actually.

asshat irishtexan Shaggy Gold Club irishtexan Shaggy Gold Club irishtexan Shaggy Gold Club irishtexan Shaggy Gold Club irishtexan Shaggy Gold Club irishtexan Shaggy Gold Club irishtexan Shaggy Gold Club irishtexan Shaggy Gold Club irishtexan Shaggy Gold Club irishtexan Shaggy Gold Club irishtexan Shaggy Gold Club irishtexan's Avatar
    40 of 45 expert baseball writers compiled by ESPN predict red sox will go to the world series. Their bandwagon is packed. If I'm a red sox fan, I don't like that kind of consensus.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/previe...=11expertpicks

I don't either but as long as Corso didn't pick them I think we're ok.

asshat irishtexan Shaggy Gold Club irishtexan Shaggy Gold Club irishtexan Shaggy Gold Club irishtexan Shaggy Gold Club irishtexan Shaggy Gold Club irishtexan Shaggy Gold Club irishtexan Shaggy Gold Club irishtexan Shaggy Gold Club irishtexan Shaggy Gold Club irishtexan Shaggy Gold Club irishtexan Shaggy Gold Club irishtexan's Avatar
    my bad. 42 of 45 picked them.

bc- my tix for sat's game are $14ea, and they were $11 2 seasons ago. i didn't make any games last year so I can't say there. also, i don't know if it's only $14 because it's opening weekend or not because i haven't looked at their box office - got these from my brother.

bc- my tix for sat's game are $14ea, and they were $11 2 seasons ago. i didn't make any games last year so I can't say there. also, i don't know if it's only $14 because it's opening weekend or not because i haven't looked at their box office - got these from my brother.
    nosebleeds? Between Opening Day and it being the Red Sox playing that might account for the $3 bump in price. I hope they aren't going to raise them up this year because of one good season.

Tomorrow's the big day!

+ Reply to Thread