+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 15 21 22 23 24 25 26 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,250 of 1267

Thread: Official 2011 Boston Red Sox Thread

That Guy. BatesHorn Shaggy Gold Club BatesHorn Shaggy Gold Club BatesHorn Shaggy Gold Club BatesHorn Shaggy Gold Club BatesHorn Shaggy Gold Club BatesHorn Shaggy Gold Club BatesHorn Shaggy Gold Club BatesHorn Shaggy Gold Club BatesHorn Shaggy Gold Club BatesHorn Shaggy Gold Club BatesHorn Shaggy Gold Club BatesHorn's Avatar
    He had a sweet left handed swing, I'll give him that. It's unfortunate it wasn't in the line up enough and didn't find the ball more often. One of the best looking strikeouts in the league, tho.

asshat spystud13 Shaggy Gold Club spystud13 Shaggy Gold Club spystud13 Shaggy Gold Club spystud13 Shaggy Gold Club spystud13 Shaggy Gold Club spystud13 Shaggy Gold Club spystud13 Shaggy Gold Club spystud13 Shaggy Gold Club spystud13 Shaggy Gold Club spystud13 Shaggy Gold Club spystud13 Shaggy Gold Club
    Ian Kinsler hit .255 this year.

And he was literally one on the best players in the league. When you kids realize BA doesn't mean $#@!, then this will mean more to you.

thanks obama jt has a gigantic e-peen. jt has a gigantic e-peen. jt has a gigantic e-peen. jt has a gigantic e-peen. jt has a gigantic e-peen. jt has a gigantic e-peen. jt has a gigantic e-peen. jt has a gigantic e-peen. jt has a gigantic e-peen. jt has a gigantic e-peen. jt has a gigantic e-peen. jt's Avatar
    ian kinsler isn't a corner outfielder that supposed to drive in runs from the middle of the order. he's a leadoff hitter that is supposed to get on base.

you can split hairs on what metric you want to measure, but jd drew didn't produce $14m/yr worth of good baseball and there's no way to argue against that.

asshat spystud13 Shaggy Gold Club spystud13 Shaggy Gold Club spystud13 Shaggy Gold Club spystud13 Shaggy Gold Club spystud13 Shaggy Gold Club spystud13 Shaggy Gold Club spystud13 Shaggy Gold Club spystud13 Shaggy Gold Club spystud13 Shaggy Gold Club spystud13 Shaggy Gold Club spystud13 Shaggy Gold Club
    His first 4 years, he was perfectly paid. This past year, he wasn't. So yes, he was technically overpaid.

thanks obama jt has a gigantic e-peen. jt has a gigantic e-peen. jt has a gigantic e-peen. jt has a gigantic e-peen. jt has a gigantic e-peen. jt has a gigantic e-peen. jt has a gigantic e-peen. jt has a gigantic e-peen. jt has a gigantic e-peen. jt has a gigantic e-peen. jt has a gigantic e-peen. jt's Avatar
    bull$#@!. you don't pay $14m for 68 rbi (or less) for your $#@!ing right fielder.

let's put it this way: at any point over the last 5 years, have you ever once thought to yourself, "man, i really wish jd drew was on the rangers."?

I highly doubt you want to get into that argument. You are clouded by his attitude & this past season's performance. Yes, I would have GLADLY taken him on the Rangers the previous 4 years. We could have easily played him in LF or RF, with Josh in CF.

Quote Originally Posted by spystud13 View Post
    You are clouded by his attitude & this past season's performance.
    i think i've been pretty consistent in my dislike for drew over the years.

if you had him on the rangers the past 5 years, you'd hate him now too!

asshat Beau Vine might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Beau Vine might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Beau Vine might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Beau Vine might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Beau Vine might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Beau Vine might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Beau Vine might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Beau Vine might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Beau Vine might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Beau Vine might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Beau Vine might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Beau Vine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jt View Post
    bull$#@!. you don't pay $14m for 68 rbi (or less) for your $#@!ing right fielder.

do rbi not matter anymore now either?

asshat Beau Vine might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Beau Vine might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Beau Vine might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Beau Vine might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Beau Vine might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Beau Vine might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Beau Vine might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Beau Vine might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Beau Vine might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Beau Vine might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Beau Vine might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Beau Vine's Avatar
    ian kinsler isn't a corner outfielder that supposed to drive in runs from the middle of the order.
    You must also hate Ichiro and Ricky Henderson.

when did rickey and ichiro become middle of the order guys who were supposed to drive in runs? both leadoff hitters. and rickey hit more home runs in a season than drew did while he was in boston TWICE.

asshat TheCruiser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TheCruiser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TheCruiser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TheCruiser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TheCruiser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TheCruiser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TheCruiser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TheCruiser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TheCruiser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TheCruiser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TheCruiser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TheCruiser's Avatar
    Like my UT professor always said, follow the money. The people financing this insane statistical studies aren't just named Bill James. they are geeks hired by agents to validate the existence of their clients in $#@!ty years. Many of them are valid. Many of them are changing the approach to the game in terms of personnel, in-game strategy, and GM moves.

However, every once in awhile, it's nice when the guy you pay almost as much as any other position player either puts the bat on the ball or takes enough balls to bring in a runner who is out on one of the white squares.

when did rickey and ichiro become middle of the order guys who were supposed to drive in runs? both leadoff hitters. and rickey hit more home runs in a season than drew did while he was in boston TWICE.
    But they're corner outfielders:

i get your point, but i don't really care. i want a rf who mashes and drives in runs, and drew didn't.

bunghole Dinger is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Dinger is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Dinger is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Dinger is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Dinger is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares?
    Drew reminds me of Sierra in many ways. If Drew hangs on as long as Ruben did, they will be about the same in career HR and BA. Sierra had more All Star appearances, but Drew had a few stellar years early in his career. I could go on with the comparison and differences but the bottom line is these were two very talented guys that did not reach their potential and at times the mental toughness required to grind it out and be an everyday star seemed to elude each of them.

degenerate dbecks Shaggy Gold Club dbecks Shaggy Gold Club dbecks Shaggy Gold Club dbecks Shaggy Gold Club dbecks Shaggy Gold Club dbecks Shaggy Gold Club dbecks Shaggy Gold Club dbecks Shaggy Gold Club dbecks Shaggy Gold Club dbecks Shaggy Gold Club dbecks Shaggy Gold Club dbecks's Avatar
    Bill Mueller got a few HOF votes?!?

degenerate dbecks Shaggy Gold Club dbecks Shaggy Gold Club dbecks Shaggy Gold Club dbecks Shaggy Gold Club dbecks Shaggy Gold Club dbecks Shaggy Gold Club dbecks Shaggy Gold Club dbecks Shaggy Gold Club dbecks Shaggy Gold Club dbecks Shaggy Gold Club dbecks Shaggy Gold Club dbecks's Avatar
    Mother$#@! Yankees...

The New York Yankees have traded top prospect Jesus Montero and right-handed pitcher Hector Noesi to the Seattle Mariners in exchange for Michael Pineda and righty Jose Campos, a source told ESPN.com's Jayson Stark.

Yep, that trade makes NYY so much $#@!ing better it pisses me off. How big of a prospect is Noesi? Unless he's a stud, Sea got $#@!ing fleeced. Glorified DHs ain't that $#@!ing hard to find.

And they got Hiroki Kuroda, too... double $#@!.

Quote Originally Posted by spystud13 View Post
    How big of a prospect is Noesi?
    Def not a stud. Sounds like his ceiling is a #4 or 5 starter. 90-93 mph fastball, good changeup, slider & curveball are both below average. Good control. He could be good, but likely won't be great.

The MFYs just got a lot better in the last 20 minutes.

Yep, I think Sea's GM just panicked & made a move cause he ain't done $#@! else this offseason.

And Carlos Pena will probably replace Montero as their LH DH...

Just a disgustingly good day for the Yankees.

Jebus.

watching moneyball right now and wondering what would have been w/ beane as gm.

watching moneyball right now and wondering what would have been w/ beane as gm.
    My gut reaction: 1) Might possibly be in a better situation (long term) than we are right now. 2) We still won in '04 & '07, so technically, IDGAF.

But yes, one can't help but wonder...

Quote Originally Posted by dbecks View Post
    My gut reaction:2) We still won in '04 & '07, so technically, IDGAF.
    yup. as i watched the scene, i thought about that as well and thought; how much better could it have been? i do wonder what those concepts used w/ a big market/budget team at that time (before everyone was doing it) would have yielded.

Sox & Jacoby agree on a $8.05 arbitration deal, breaking the previous record for a 2nd year arbitration-eligible player (Hunter Pence).

Also, Carl Crawford had the scope on his wrist. Nothing major, just cleaning out some cartilage. Should be ready to hit during spring training.

Rotowire

Carl Crawford: Arthroscopic Wrist Surgery - 1/17/2012 12:38:48 PM

Update:
    Crawford had arthroscopic wrist surgery Tuesday and won't resume hitting until some time during spring training, Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald reports.

Recommendation:
    Apparently, he experienced soreness on the outside of his left wrist when he began hitting a few weeks ago. The timetable for his return is a bit unclear, but the early reports have the Red Sox in a position where they're not ruling out Opening Day despite declining to provide an estimated return date for game action.

i'd really like to see carl crawford have the type of superstar year he's capable of having this year.

i'd really like to see carl crawford have the type of superstar year he's capable of having this year.
    Well, he just had wrist surgery today, so there goes that.

asshat TheCruiser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TheCruiser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TheCruiser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TheCruiser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TheCruiser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TheCruiser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TheCruiser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TheCruiser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TheCruiser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TheCruiser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TheCruiser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? TheCruiser's Avatar
    What's more is J.D. Drew is personally handling his physical rehabilitation regiment.

jt will be crushed!

The Boston Red Sox have agreed to a deal to send shortstop Marco Scutaro to the Colorado Rockies in exchange for Clayton Mortensen, two baseball sources confirmed to ESPN.com.
    http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/...en-sources-say

Weird. I know very little of this Mortensen fella, only that he's a young, decent right-handed reliever.

I like Scutaro more than some, but I fear this could put a little too much pressure on Jose Iglesias to make the step up and be a starting SS on Opening Day.

It's always nice to trade an older player for a younger one straight-up, but if Iglesias is hovering around the Mendoza line come mid-May, they'll have to make another move asap.

Well, at least they still have Jed Lowrie. Oh, wait...

Once more, with feeling:
    Last edited by dbecks; 01-21-2012 at 05:40 PM.

More from that updated link...

The Boston Red Sox, looking to free up money to pursue either starting pitcher Roy Oswalt or outfielder Cody Ross, have traded shortstop Marco Scutaro to the Colorado Rockies, who plan to use Scutaro at second base, team sources said Saturday.

The Red Sox are receiving right-handed pitcher Clayton Mortensen in return, sources told ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick. Mortensen, 26, is a former first-round sandwich pick in 2007 by St. Louis, who sent Mortensen to Oakland in the deal for Matt Holliday. The Rockies acquired Mortensen for a minor league player last January; the Red Sox become his fourth big-league organization.

Last season, he was 2-4 with a 3.86 ERA in 16 games, six of them starts.

The Red Sox intend to use Mike Aviles and newly acquired Nick Punto to play shortstop in Scutaro's place, at least until top prospect Jose Iglesias proves ready for a major league promotion.

The Red Sox had exercised the $6 million option they held on Scutaro's contract for the 2012 season, in what Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington termed a "significant acquisition" just two days ago. But with the Red Sox still looking to improve their starting pitching depth, and Carl Crawford's wrist surgery leaving them thin in the outfield, the decision was made to move Scutaro.

The Red Sox have now traded both shortstops they used for most of 2011, Scutaro and Jed Lowrie, who earlier was dealt to the Houston Astros.

Scutaro hit .299 in 113 games last season for the Red Sox, reclaiming the starting job at short he lost to Lowrie in the season's first month.

So who is going to be the SS in Beantown next year? Aviles? Who the $#@! is he and how did he get a starting job on a team as rich as Bawston?

What in the name of Larry Lucchino is going on?

i'm good w/ aviles. or at least i think i am right now.

Shortstops who played 50+ games for the Sox since the Nomar trade in '04: Lowrie, Scutaro, Nick Green, Alex Cora, Julio Lugo, Alex Gonzalez, Edgar Renteria, Pokey Reese, and Orlando Cabrera.

I'd much rather have Aviles added to that list over Nick Punto. I think we'd all love Iglesias to live up to the potential he's had for years, but there are plenty of doubts as to whether he can hit big league pitching.

But with the Red$#@! trade, the Crawford injury, the Kalish surgery, and the JD Drew "GTFO," Aviles might be better utilized in the outfield, at least at first...

Aviles Embracing Outfield Opportunity

Perhaps the biggest question mark that remains for the Red Sox as the team inches closer and closer to Spring Training is the vacancy that lies in Fenway Park's massive right field. Now that J.D. Drew is no longer with the team [free agency] and Josh Red$#@! was part of the trade for Andrew Bailey, there will be an open battle for some playing time in right.

A wild card in the search for their right fielder could be infielder Mike Aviles. The veteran infielder played five games in the outfield for the Red Sox after coming over from Kansas City in a trade in July of last season.

To further his diversity on the field, Aviles underwent a two-week crash course in Puerto Rico preparing him to play outfield for the Red Sox during the upcoming season.

"I was playing every day in right field just to get the ins and outs of outfield, so I could feel comfortable come spring training and be ready to play anywhere in the outfield next year," he said, "For me, it's all about getting at-bats and trying to get a chance in the game and help the team win some way somehow. I don't care if it's second, third, short, first, left, right, center -- wherever. Wherever it may be, I just want to help the team out."

After playing infield for his entire Major League career, Aviles may have some difficulty adapting his game to his new position.

"Being a lifelong infielder, the first game or two, my first reaction was coming in," he added, "As an infielder, you're taught to charge the ball all the time whereas as an outfielder you're not really charging the ball every single time. You kind of go back before you go in. It's one of those things where you get the repetition. The more repetition I got, the better I got at it."

The 30-year-old veteran wants to stay positive while trying to make the change to the outfield, because he is grateful for the opportunity that the Red Sox organization is giving him.

"It makes me feel good that they're looking to find ways to help me contribute. I'm all about playing baseball. That's what I've done since I'm four years old."

Don't worry, you'll have Cody Ross soon enough.

I'm hoping they can somehow get Cody Ross AND Oswalt...

FWIW, it's now less than a month until pitchers & catchers report, and exactly a month away from the first workout.

And playing Aviles in RF only means Punto has to play SS. You don't want that.

Yes, that would suck. Obviously Punto isn't good enough to start 150 games for the Sox, but they have him for a reason. He'll likely (and sadly) get a chance to contribute early in the season. Hopefully he doesn't suck as much as we fear he might (or will).

Giving some Aviles some RF practice in Puerto Rico just gives the Sox more options. With so many players and the inevitability of injury, there's no harm in making a versatile player even more versatile.

With Kalish's setback (but his rehab going according to schedule), acquiring Sweeney in the Bailey trade looks like a good move. Hell, even Darnell McDonald can contribute some - albeit not very consistently.

Obviously Kalish & Iglesias are the long-term hopes for RF and SS, but there's going to be some serious musical chairs played until May (or later). Tito (er, Bobby Valentine) is going to have his work cut out for him from the get-go.

Still can't believe that guy is the manager...
    Last edited by dbecks; 01-21-2012 at 11:06 PM.

The Red Sox intend to use Mike Aviles and newly acquired Nick Punto to play shortstop in Scutaro's place,
    I am going to $#@!ing go Milton Waddams if this is seriously their plan.

bunghole cafe society can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. cafe society can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. cafe society can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. cafe society can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. cafe society can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. cafe society can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. cafe society can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. cafe society can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. cafe society can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. cafe society can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. cafe society can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night.
    Boston should just go with Aviles at shortstop and whoever, Sweeney, McDonald or Kalish (eventually) in right, they are all light years better than Punto, who offers no value at all offensively. If the Red Sox are willing to punt offense from the shortstop position and just go with a strong defender, play Iglesias and be done with it. He might develop with the bat, which is totally beyond Punto.
    Last edited by cafe society; 01-21-2012 at 11:31 PM.

Cherington said the new-found money “gives us flexibility to consider other things, but we’re in no rush. We feel the combination of Punto and Aviles can approximate Scutaro’s production.’’
    Dear Ben,

Die in a fire.

Sincerely,
    Beau Vine

A combination of Punto the Puto, Aviles, and a beaker of taint sweat can approximate Scutaro's production. Doesn't mean we need to keep piling on costly bull$#@!.

Quote Originally Posted by cafe society View Post
    Boston should just go with Aviles at shortstop and whoever, Sweeney, McDonald or Kalish (eventually) in right, they are all light years better than Punto, who offers no value at all offensively. If the Red Sox are willing to punt offense from the shortstop position and just go with a strong defender, play Iglesias and be done with it. He might develop with the bat, which is totally beyond Punto.
    I'd rather play Pedroia at SS until Iggy is ready, and try to pick up a cheap 2B (or play Aviles there).

Quote Originally Posted by TheCruiser View Post
    A combination of Punto the Puto, Aviles, and a beaker of taint sweat can approximate Scutaro's production. Doesn't mean we need to keep piling on costly bull$#@!.
    I guess you never noticed that Scutaro is pretty good.

Yes, he's pretty good but I don't like that bull$#@! mentality of if Player X got 150 hits and scored 80 runs for $5million, then let's get two guys who each get 75 hits and score 40 runs and pay them half.

Cody Ross...

Yep.

UPDATE, 8:50 p.m.: Ken Rosenthal of Fox is reporting the Red Sox have signed Ross. Details to come.

UPDATE, 9:00 p.m.: A team source said the Sox are "optimistic" about signing Ross. That could simply mean he needs to take a physical or the contract language needs to be finalized.

The deal would be worth $3 million and include incentives based on playing time.

UPDATE, 9:35 p.m.: Signing Ross would not preclude the Red Sox also signing Roy Oswalt or finding some other way to help the rotation. There is budget space left to make a move.

According to sources, the Red Sox are hoping to extract value from the market as spring training edges closer. They also could elect to save the money and have some financial flexibility for in-season trades.

Just an opinion, but they didn't trade Marco Scutaro without having some sense about what they could do with the money saved.
    http://www.boston.com/sports/basebal..._making_1.html

I'd rather have Scutaro and two scrubs from Pawtucket than Cody Ross, Punto, and Aviles.

I would, too, but I'd rather have Oswalt & Cody Ross than Scutaro.

If Iglesias can learn to take a pitch, that would make a world of difference to this whole situation.

I don't like Jim Bowden at all, but I think he's right here...

For most people in baseball, shortstop is generally the most important position on the diamond and usually warrants one of your best athletes. So trading your starting shortstop doesn’t make sense unless he's either really bad or the deal is a precursor to something else. Such is the case with Boston’s inexplicable trade of Scutaro to the Colorado Rockies for a middling swingman in Clay Mortensen. Scutaro is a gamer and a winning player who developed a great rapport with Dustin Pedroia. What doesn’t make sense is with a budget upwards of $175 million, the Red Sox are worried about saving Scutaro’s $6 million salary? Worse yet, it leaves them with Mike Aviles, who can hit but can’t field, or Nick Punto, who can field but can’t hit. Farmhand Jose Iglesias is clearly not ready. Thus, common sense only dictates that Red Sox GM Ben Cherington has something else up his sleeve. Otherwise this is a move he will regret.
    http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/the-...the-off-season

+ Reply to Thread