+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Verifying a Cashiers Check is Valid

asshat William Cannon slams and goes hard. William Cannon slams and goes hard. William Cannon slams and goes hard. William Cannon slams and goes hard. William Cannon slams and goes hard. William Cannon slams and goes hard. William Cannon slams and goes hard. William Cannon slams and goes hard. William Cannon slams and goes hard. William Cannon slams and goes hard. William Cannon slams and goes hard. William Cannon's Avatar
    the first place we could see, servin' cold beer in the shade

Verifying a Cashiers Check is Valid

I've read online that there is a big problem with counterfeit cashiers checks. How can I verify that a cashier's check is valid from someone who is coming in from out of town and only banks with their little home grown shop? I thought about calling their bank and verifying the check # with their loan officer. Is this sufficient?

Jerkass next2naus Shaggy Gold Club next2naus Shaggy Gold Club next2naus Shaggy Gold Club next2naus Shaggy Gold Club next2naus Shaggy Gold Club next2naus Shaggy Gold Club next2naus Shaggy Gold Club next2naus Shaggy Gold Club next2naus Shaggy Gold Club next2naus Shaggy Gold Club next2naus Shaggy Gold Club next2naus's Avatar
    I'm from the, uh, Confidential Committee on Moral Abuses
    In don't know what you are reading online or that you need to the loan officer but calling the bank is the correct course of action and very common

asshat William Cannon slams and goes hard. William Cannon slams and goes hard. William Cannon slams and goes hard. William Cannon slams and goes hard. William Cannon slams and goes hard. William Cannon slams and goes hard. William Cannon slams and goes hard. William Cannon slams and goes hard. William Cannon slams and goes hard. William Cannon slams and goes hard. William Cannon slams and goes hard. William Cannon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by next2naus
    In don't know what you are reading online or that you need to the loan officer but calling the bank is the correct course of action and very common
    If I don't need to talk to the loan officer, then who do I need to talk to?

Quote Originally Posted by William Cannon
    The bank. Just call the bank.

asshat baboso grows his own roses baboso grows his own roses baboso grows his own roses baboso grows his own roses baboso grows his own roses baboso grows his own roses baboso grows his own roses baboso grows his own roses baboso grows his own roses baboso grows his own roses baboso grows his own roses baboso's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by milk_monitor
    The bank. Just call the bank.
    Yeah. Just tell whoever answers the phone what you want to do and they will transfer you, probably to the bookkeeping department.

asshat G4 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. G4 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. G4 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. G4 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. G4 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. G4 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. G4 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. G4 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. G4 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. G4 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. G4 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. G4's Avatar
    I had a fake BofA check sent to me as payment for my car. I was pretty sure it was fake but took it to BofA to get inspected anyway. Sure enough it was a fake, albeit, an excellent one.

asshat NCAAFBALLROX might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? NCAAFBALLROX might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? NCAAFBALLROX might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? NCAAFBALLROX might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? NCAAFBALLROX might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? NCAAFBALLROX might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? NCAAFBALLROX might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? NCAAFBALLROX might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? NCAAFBALLROX might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? NCAAFBALLROX might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? NCAAFBALLROX might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? NCAAFBALLROX's Avatar
    Jesus built my car. Its a love affair. Mainly Jesus and my hot rod.
    Quote Originally Posted by gcsmithIV
    I had a fake BofA check sent to me as payment for my car. I was pretty sure it was fake but took it to BofA to get inspected anyway. Sure enough it was a fake, albeit, an excellent one.
    ...Go on. There's got to be more to this story.

Duke of New York Hellraiser97 Shaggy Gold Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Gold Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Gold Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Gold Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Gold Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Gold Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Gold Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Gold Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Gold Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Gold Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Gold Club Hellraiser97's Avatar

My wife had the idea to ask our bank what to do. They said to go there and that they would call the bank for us. I think I'll do the transaction at the bank then.

and yeah, I like to hear the end of the fake bofa check story...

asshat suttree can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. suttree can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. suttree can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. suttree can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. suttree can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. suttree can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. suttree can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. suttree can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. suttree can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. suttree can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. suttree can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. suttree's Avatar
    calling the alleged issuing bank for confirmation isn't any guarantee. The only real way is to wait the statutory period before you transfer possession or title. If I was selling a car I wouldn't tender title or the vehicle for the statutory period (and I don't remember what it is).

If you really want to be sure go with them to their bank and witness the issuance of the check.

Quote Originally Posted by suttree
    calling the alleged issuing bank for confirmation isn't any guarantee. The only real way is to wait the statutory period before you transfer possession or title. If I was selling a car I wouldn't tender title or the vehicle for the statutory period (and I don't remember what it is).
    No way anyone would do this. I wouldn't buy a car in this fashion. But you're right it's not good as cash until up to 10 days later.

If you really want to be sure go with them to their bank and witness the issuance of the check.
    That's what some sites say as well. However, they also warn that they could put a stop on the check so you should cash the check right then and there so you can deposit actual money into your account. However, I have issue with driving around with 5 figures of greenbacks. I have some buddies who would be willing to render their protection services in exchange for gas money, beer, and some rounds for the shooting range afterward. However, I'd like to think that I could sell a $#@!ing car without the use of two additional vehicles and assault riffles and some handguns.
    Good grief.

The lady at the bank said that they can get the bank's phone number from the routing number on the check and validate that the check is legit. I'm hoping that should suffice.

asshat suttree can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. suttree can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. suttree can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. suttree can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. suttree can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. suttree can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. suttree can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. suttree can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. suttree can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. suttree can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. suttree can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. suttree's Avatar
    you can call and they might tell you over the phone it is legit. If it turns out the check isn't legit that phone call is worth exactly jack $#@!.

asshat G4 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. G4 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. G4 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. G4 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. G4 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. G4 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. G4 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. G4 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. G4 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. G4 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. G4 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. G4's Avatar
    It is really not that exciting of a story. My car was on Autotrader and Craigslist for sale and someone contacted me from "Oregon" with some bull$#@! story about another car deal falling through and that he already had a cashiers check made out for 2 or 3K more than what I was asking. Of course, I was supposed to refund him the difference to use for shipping costs. It required that I wire the money to him.

I thought it was bull$#@! but the check showed up at my house (the postage was from the Netherlands). I went to BofA, asked them to inspect it. At first, the cashier said it was real. However, I asked again for them to check the numbers with whoever issues the checks. A day later they called to say the check was fake.

It was a $#@!ty scam because what idiot doesn't find out the check is real before wiring the difference to the scammer? Also, if the scammer says he is from Oregon, am I not going to notice the international postage?

I kept $#@!ing with him for a week or two saying I wired the cash. I gave the info to BofA and they said they'd investigate. However, I haven't heard anything since then.

you just described perhaps the most common scam on the interwebz. The crazy thing is it works over and over. I get a lawyer in my office about every 6 months who thinks there should be a class action lawsuit against the banks for not catching the fraud faster.

I figured it was a pretty common scam. It was also extremely frustrating that the bank couldn't even tell me if it was one of their checks. I dropped BofA soon after.

I was extremely nervous going to the bank with that check. I made sure I called ahead of time to explain that I wasn't trying to cash it until they had verified its authenticity. Being arrested for something like that would be god awful.

asshat Durkee slams and goes hard. Durkee slams and goes hard. Durkee slams and goes hard. Durkee slams and goes hard. Durkee slams and goes hard. Durkee slams and goes hard. Durkee slams and goes hard. Durkee slams and goes hard. Durkee slams and goes hard. Durkee slams and goes hard. Durkee slams and goes hard.
    you just described perhaps the most common scam on the interwebz. The crazy thing is it works over and over. I get a lawyer in my office about every 6 months who thinks there should be a class action lawsuit against the banks for not catching the fraud faster.
    WHY do idoits keep falling for this???

asshat C-Man is a rep whore. C-Man is a rep whore. C-Man is a rep whore. C-Man is a rep whore. C-Man is a rep whore. C-Man is a rep whore. C-Man is a rep whore. C-Man is a rep whore. C-Man is a rep whore. C-Man is a rep whore. C-Man is a rep whore. C-Man's Avatar
    No way anyone would do this. I wouldn't buy a car in this fashion. But you're right it's not good as cash until up to 10 days later.

That's what some sites say as well. However, they also warn that they could put a stop on the check so you should cash the check right then and there so you can deposit actual money into your account. However, I have issue with driving around with 5 figures of greenbacks. I have some buddies who would be willing to render their protection services in exchange for gas money, beer, and some rounds for the shooting range afterward. However, I'd like to think that I could sell a $#@!ing car without the use of two additional vehicles and assault riffles and some handguns.
    Good grief.

The lady at the bank said that they can get the bank's phone number from the routing number on the check and validate that the check is legit. I'm hoping that should suffice.
    Well, if you're leery of walking around with that kind of cash, go with them to get the check at their bank, take the check and immediately open an account with that same bank (preferably one that's free). Then couldn't you close the account, get the bank to issue a check and be on your way? Maybe you've got to keep your money there a certain amount of time but I don't know. I've never been in this situation before.

asshat KC-97HORN Shaggy Gold Club KC-97HORN Shaggy Gold Club KC-97HORN Shaggy Gold Club KC-97HORN Shaggy Gold Club KC-97HORN Shaggy Gold Club KC-97HORN Shaggy Gold Club KC-97HORN Shaggy Gold Club KC-97HORN Shaggy Gold Club KC-97HORN Shaggy Gold Club KC-97HORN Shaggy Gold Club KC-97HORN Shaggy Gold Club KC-97HORN's Avatar
    folks there is a major problem with banks verifying the funds being correct. Part of the problem lies within the way the checks are processed and part lies within the fact that in MANY cases, the check # routing # account # are ALL correct. But what happens is the scammer gets someone to buy a blank Cashiers Check for something simple, like $100.00.

The scammer then scans that check into their computer, changes the ammount to reflect the proper one, print it out on high quality paper and no one is the wiser. The issuing bank many times just marks down the check # as having been proper funds, but they never write down the AMOUNT for the check.

So you call this bank in Oregon, and Joe Schmo teller says; "Check 123456, with routing #455555555 and account # 777777777 is legit and cashable."

You consider the check as legit, your bank is required to give you the cash within 5 days- EVEN THOUGH THE CHECK HASNT CLEARED YET!!!!!!!

and you find out 3 weeks later that its a scam/bad check and you are $#@!ed. This happens literally every day.

With the system today, you really have to wait 3 weeks before you can consider the check to really be legit.

Dont $#@!ing ask me why banks havent figured out a way to communicate with each other through the federal reserve system to verify a cashiers check is being drawn with the correct funds.

asshat Lat22 Shaggy Gold Club Lat22 Shaggy Gold Club Lat22 Shaggy Gold Club Lat22 Shaggy Gold Club Lat22 Shaggy Gold Club Lat22 Shaggy Gold Club Lat22 Shaggy Gold Club Lat22 Shaggy Gold Club Lat22 Shaggy Gold Club Lat22 Shaggy Gold Club Lat22 Shaggy Gold Club Lat22's Avatar
    Dont $#@!ing ask me why banks havent figured out a way to communicate with each other through the federal reserve system to verify a cashiers check is being drawn with the correct funds.
    We're too busy protecting America from terrorists via the Bank Secrecy Act.

• + Reply to Thread