+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The History of Trollface

asshat mileslong Shaggy Gold Club mileslong Shaggy Gold Club mileslong Shaggy Gold Club mileslong Shaggy Gold Club mileslong Shaggy Gold Club mileslong Shaggy Gold Club mileslong Shaggy Gold Club mileslong Shaggy Gold Club mileslong Shaggy Gold Club mileslong Shaggy Gold Club mileslong Shaggy Gold Club mileslong's Avatar

The History of Trollface

so this is how the legend of trollface was started?

an interview with the creator of trollface

Trollface was created by *Whynne, an epic deviant with off-the-chart sass-meter readings. We sat down with *Whynne to find out more about his iconic character.

Q: How did Trollface come to be?

*Whynne: Originally, Trollface was an accurate representation of how some individuals, when engaging in a community known for having a large presence of trolls, use the pretense of trolling to excuse themselves from poor reasoning. Often times, this takes the form of two members engaging in a debate, where one, upon the realization that his arguments no longer hold up, claims that he was merely trolling you for his amusement. Trolling had essentially become the ultimate cop-out and the new Godwin’s law for Internet debate.

The original comic was a humorous way to make it easier for people to understand and deal with these kinds of situations, and I think the overwhelmingly positive response showed that it was effective. Any time that same situation played out, it was pretty much guaranteed that my comic would get posted, and people could laugh about it and leave the thread without being frustrated.

This rise in visibility led to the comic getting edited and reposted. People were particularly fond of the grinning face which, at the time, had no name. It eventually became a separate entity and has since come to represent the humorous and mischievous side of trolling.

Q: What's the best way to get in the spirit of Trollface?

*Whynne: It’s hard to say. It means a lot of different things in various contexts, but the common theme among them is that people naturally enjoy toying with each other and looking for a certain response. Sometimes it can be funny, sometimes it can be downright frustrating, but the important thing to keep in mind is to learn to recognize it when it happens and laugh at it in hindsight. It's just the Internet, after all, and there’s really only so much a troll can do. I hope that didn’t sound like a public safety announcement.

Q: Did you ever imagine that Trollface would take off the way it has?

*Whynne: Definitely not in the way that is has now. It’s far from what I'd call a sensation, but it's safe to say that it has become a rather popular joke with Internet goers. Most of the time it shows up, I’m not credited, which is a mixed bag. On one hand, you really want people to know you made it, but on the other, there’s no way to do it without seeming overly-possessive and self-important. After all, it wasn’t a significant effort on my part. It was ultimately the userbase that made it popular, so in that sense, it belongs to everyone.

Q: How does it feel to continue to see Trollface re-imagined in various forms?

*Whynne: It’s pretty validating to see the people I look up to find something I made worthy of re-rendering. Most recently, I saw The Incredible Hulk making a little Trollface on a recent issue of Deadpool, and prior to that, Edmund McMillen made a Trollface planet as his "Teh Internets" map select screen and title card in Super Meat Boy.

Q: Where did the "U MAD?" and "Problem?" catchphrases come from? Were you involved in their creation?

*Whynne: I can't really say where the former came from, though I'm pretty sure its origins aren’t traceable to any one specific post or picture. "Problem?" on the other hand was from the "coolface" comic edit. I obviously wasn't involved, but I can say that those catchphrases are definitely better fits for the face when it's taken out of its original context.

side note: according to the artist, the inspiration for trollface's face came from him trying to draw "raperodent" pictured here:

Last edited by mileslong; 04-01-2011 at 10:19 PM.

asshat Baboontyme Shaggy Gold Club Baboontyme Shaggy Gold Club Baboontyme Shaggy Gold Club Baboontyme Shaggy Gold Club Baboontyme Shaggy Gold Club Baboontyme Shaggy Gold Club Baboontyme Shaggy Gold Club Baboontyme Shaggy Gold Club Baboontyme Shaggy Gold Club Baboontyme Shaggy Gold Club Baboontyme Shaggy Gold Club Baboontyme's Avatar
    Not kidding, I thought THujone invented that guy. Same with the "Why u no blah blah blah!" guy.

Trollface was an accurate representation of how some individuals, when engaging in a community known for having a large presence of trolls, use the pretense of trolling to excuse themselves from poor reasoning. Often times, this takes the form of two members engaging in a debate, where one, upon the realization that his arguments no longer hold up, claims that he was merely trolling you for his amusement.
    Here it's the Grendelface.

asshat TxArch is a rep whore. TxArch is a rep whore. TxArch is a rep whore. TxArch is a rep whore. TxArch is a rep whore. TxArch is a rep whore. TxArch is a rep whore. TxArch is a rep whore. TxArch is a rep whore. TxArch is a rep whore. TxArch is a rep whore. TxArch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Baboontyme View Post
    Not kidding, I thought THujone invented that guy. Same with the "Why u no blah blah blah!" guy.
    I know you said not kidding, but you're kidding, right?

asshat Bedouin grows his own roses Bedouin grows his own roses Bedouin grows his own roses Bedouin grows his own roses Bedouin grows his own roses Bedouin grows his own roses Bedouin grows his own roses Bedouin grows his own roses Bedouin grows his own roses Bedouin grows his own roses Bedouin grows his own roses Bedouin's Avatar
    This place is nothing more than Lord of The Flies

asshat Bedouin grows his own roses Bedouin grows his own roses Bedouin grows his own roses Bedouin grows his own roses Bedouin grows his own roses Bedouin grows his own roses Bedouin grows his own roses Bedouin grows his own roses Bedouin grows his own roses Bedouin grows his own roses Bedouin grows his own roses Bedouin's Avatar
    This place is nothing more than Lord of The Flies

asshat Baboontyme Shaggy Gold Club Baboontyme Shaggy Gold Club Baboontyme Shaggy Gold Club Baboontyme Shaggy Gold Club Baboontyme Shaggy Gold Club Baboontyme Shaggy Gold Club Baboontyme Shaggy Gold Club Baboontyme Shaggy Gold Club Baboontyme Shaggy Gold Club Baboontyme Shaggy Gold Club Baboontyme Shaggy Gold Club Baboontyme's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TxArch View Post
    I know you said not kidding, but you're kidding, right?
    Absoblutely not. Not up on my memes, I guess. TH has been like the internet forum MS paint guy for a couple years. His threads were linked on MSU boards quite a bit ago and I guess trollface and Why U No guy showed up around the same time and I just always linked them.

asshat F18Mustang grows his own roses F18Mustang grows his own roses F18Mustang grows his own roses F18Mustang grows his own roses F18Mustang grows his own roses F18Mustang grows his own roses F18Mustang grows his own roses F18Mustang grows his own roses F18Mustang grows his own roses F18Mustang grows his own roses F18Mustang grows his own roses F18Mustang's Avatar

asshat GSU&UT grows his own roses GSU&UT grows his own roses GSU&UT grows his own roses GSU&UT grows his own roses GSU&UT grows his own roses GSU&UT grows his own roses GSU&UT grows his own roses GSU&UT grows his own roses GSU&UT grows his own roses GSU&UT grows his own roses GSU&UT grows his own roses GSU&UT's Avatar
    99% of memes are from 4chan

asshat dontlookatme slams and goes hard. dontlookatme slams and goes hard. dontlookatme slams and goes hard. dontlookatme slams and goes hard. dontlookatme slams and goes hard. dontlookatme slams and goes hard. dontlookatme slams and goes hard. dontlookatme slams and goes hard. dontlookatme slams and goes hard. dontlookatme slams and goes hard. dontlookatme slams and goes hard. dontlookatme's Avatar
    I always thought this was the origin of the troll face

Quote Originally Posted by F18Mustang View Post
    Wrap a flag around that face and $#@! 'er fer The Glory!

Would...and would drink her beer after I was done.

I draw dicks. No homo. THujone might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? THujone might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? THujone might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? THujone might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? THujone might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? THujone might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? THujone might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? THujone might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? THujone might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? THujone might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? THujone might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? THujone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Baboontyme View Post
    It's cool. I did invent those and any other Internet memes you may be familiar with.

Quote Originally Posted by THujone View Post
    It's cool. I did invent those and any other Internet memes you may be familiar with.
    Holy $#@!. You are Rebecca Black?

- rep

asshat orangeuahorn2 slams and goes hard. orangeuahorn2 slams and goes hard. orangeuahorn2 slams and goes hard. orangeuahorn2 slams and goes hard. orangeuahorn2 slams and goes hard. orangeuahorn2 slams and goes hard. orangeuahorn2 slams and goes hard. orangeuahorn2 slams and goes hard. orangeuahorn2 slams and goes hard. orangeuahorn2 slams and goes hard. orangeuahorn2 slams and goes hard. orangeuahorn2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by F18Mustang View Post
    Dat bitch got some furry $#@!ing arms

+ Reply to Thread