Closed Thread
Page 7 of 60 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 57 ... LastLast

Thread: Arsenal 2011-2012: This year's the big year?

Van!

Wait. Isn't that how it's supposed to work? I don't get it. Why don't we just do it that way all the time?

Great ball by Gibbs.

Quote Originally Posted by skipperj View Post
    Wait. Isn't that how it's supposed to work? I don't get it. Why don't we just do it that way all the time?

Don't give them any more reason to not shoot from the outside.

The $#@! kind of trailer cart is that?

Really great second half so far.......

Was that the dynamic duo of Squills and Fabianski teaming up on that goal?

Was that the dynamic duo of Squills and Fabianski teaming up on that goal?
    Squill looked like a blue traffic cone on that goal.

Look at how mad Vermaelen is during that yellow and then look how sheepish Squill looks behind him.

Well, that was pretty pathetic.

Yep. We drop off severely after first team.

“@piersmorgan: If Arsene Wenger was sent to run the U.S. economy and Barack Obama became manager of Arsenal, might sort a lot of problems.”

Lol

Also, they're rioting in Tottenham, burning police cars.

Also, happy birthday to Robin. Great goal on your day. Enjoy Bouchra tonight if she's there.

Last edited by skipperj; 08-06-2011 at 04:51 PM.

degenerate dbecks Shaggy Gold Club dbecks Shaggy Gold Club dbecks Shaggy Gold Club dbecks Shaggy Gold Club dbecks Shaggy Gold Club dbecks Shaggy Gold Club dbecks Shaggy Gold Club dbecks Shaggy Gold Club dbecks Shaggy Gold Club dbecks Shaggy Gold Club dbecks Shaggy Gold Club dbecks's Avatar
    What the $#@! is going on???

I have an uneasy feeling $#@! is about to go down...

Please expound. RvP, Gibbs, and Vermaelen injured today is what I'm seeing. More?

At least our goalies don't give up goals like De Gea just did.
    Last edited by Cluttered; 08-07-2011 at 09:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cluttered View Post
    At least our goalies don't give up goals like De Gai just did.
    True. Ours usually have a lot more drama and ridiculousness before. Not a GK frozen just looking at the ball until the last minute. What was he doing? There was a little movement that caused it to go left at the end, and he was just hoppmg there watching it until he finally lunged.

degenerate dbecks Shaggy Gold Club dbecks Shaggy Gold Club dbecks Shaggy Gold Club dbecks Shaggy Gold Club dbecks Shaggy Gold Club dbecks Shaggy Gold Club dbecks Shaggy Gold Club dbecks Shaggy Gold Club dbecks Shaggy Gold Club dbecks Shaggy Gold Club dbecks Shaggy Gold Club dbecks's Avatar
    Please expound. RvP, Gibbs, and Vermaelen injured today is what I'm seeing. More?
    Just with Cesc & Nasri not making the trip, I just have an eerie feeling that means they're both on the way out...

I hope I'm wrong.

I think Cesc is gone, Nasri is staying and will leave next summer.

asshat 89Horn slams and goes hard. 89Horn slams and goes hard. 89Horn slams and goes hard. 89Horn slams and goes hard. 89Horn slams and goes hard. 89Horn slams and goes hard. 89Horn slams and goes hard. 89Horn slams and goes hard. 89Horn slams and goes hard. 89Horn slams and goes hard. 89Horn slams and goes hard. 89Horn's Avatar
    I think Cesc is gone, Nasri is staying and will leave next summer.
    Not sure that Nasri staying is the best move, or non-move. If Wenger doesn't make at least a great CB signing to placate him, Nasri will be useless this season AND he then leaves on a free transfer at season's end. The Wenger-Nasri relationship has supposedly deteriorated. No excuses for Wenger either. He knows about signing and losing players on free transfers (Chamakh and Flamini).

Whatever happens this week, the effects will remain to be seen. Either way, I'm excited about the season starting up. I'll be watching the Newcastle game at a bar in the San Antonio JW Marriott somewhere hopefully. They have a sports bar, and I hope they have Fox Soccer. I'm calling them this week to verify. If no, it's slingbox by the pool.

Come on you Gunners!

asshat 89Horn slams and goes hard. 89Horn slams and goes hard. 89Horn slams and goes hard. 89Horn slams and goes hard. 89Horn slams and goes hard. 89Horn slams and goes hard. 89Horn slams and goes hard. 89Horn slams and goes hard. 89Horn slams and goes hard. 89Horn slams and goes hard. 89Horn slams and goes hard. 89Horn's Avatar
    Yeah, I just want all the transfer crap to be overwith. I just hope that Cesc-Nasri transfer saga isn't futher complicated by the CL tie with Udinese. The tie is crucial. But if the duo play and are then cup tied because Arsenal progressed to group play, I can already hear both Barca and Citeh arguing that the two are now devalued.

By the by, Wenger and Nasri are now like two peas in a pod. Per Wenger. there is no "major" problem between the two.

I think Wilshere was saying that too. No major problems between them, right on message.

I have a feeling Cesc will still be "injured", but Nasri is staying and will play.

I can't see Arsenal playing either of those guys in the CL ties if they are really on the block.

Well then, Mr. Wenger really has some tough decisions to make in the next couple of weeks. If this transfer saga wasn't going on and Arsenal wasn't having to qualify for CL, then no problem. But, just look at the fixture list coming up. So, you're gonna put Ramsey and a hurt Wilshere to play? Then to have them sandwiched in to play Newcastle, Liverpool and Man. Utd. Yes, very, very nice. Worst case scenario, but not unrealistic: Arsenal could possibly be out of CL and near or at the bottom of the table at the end of August. The fans are already pissed as it is. Shaping up really well.

Clichy "This $#@! again?"

asshat numbereleven can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. numbereleven can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. numbereleven can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. numbereleven can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. numbereleven can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. numbereleven can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. numbereleven can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. numbereleven can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. numbereleven can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. numbereleven can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. numbereleven can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. numbereleven's Avatar
    Arsenal has inked Chamberlain for fee in the neighborhood of 12 million pounds.

Friendly me: A player with a bright future, way to look ahead. A star in the making.

Not so friendly me: A position we don't need, a player who won't be ready for 2-3 years, and we paid WHAT? We won't buy players we need now, and we dropped eight figures HERE?

I agree with the "Cesc leaves, Nasri stays" prediction. I just fear how awkward some of the home appearances will be for Sami (how will the supporters react?)

I'm still optimistic that another year in an energetic side could rejuvinate his bond with Arsenal (even if he's turning into another Ca$hley) & maybe they could renegotiate over the next few months (he's great, but I have a hard time believing even City would offer him 180lbs/week). I just hope he wouldn't have the audacity to kiss the badge after a goal at the Emirates... And maybe I'm starting to believe that Gallas & Ribery were right when it came out that they both don't seem to like Sami much (when playing for France).

But regarding the new signing... Another teenager. WTF?!?

Mata >>>>>> Oxlade-Chamberlain

Cesc's contract runs through at least 2014. I would hold onto him for another year and sell him next summer to the highest bidder.

I would sell Nasri now to whoever offers 25 million pounds. If he is really interested in City, Arsenal simply can't compete from a wage perspective and will lose him for nothing in the summer.

Spend the 25 million on the Cahills and get ready to spend big in 2012 summer

Arsenal blew the Mata opportunity when they missed his release clause date

asshat Durant Durant Shaggy Gold Club Durant Durant Shaggy Gold Club Durant Durant Shaggy Gold Club Durant Durant Shaggy Gold Club Durant Durant Shaggy Gold Club Durant Durant Shaggy Gold Club Durant Durant Shaggy Gold Club Durant Durant Shaggy Gold Club Durant Durant Shaggy Gold Club Durant Durant Shaggy Gold Club Durant Durant Shaggy Gold Club Durant Durant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alincoln View Post
    Cesc's contract runs through at least 2014. I would hold onto him for another year and sell him next summer to the highest bidder.

I would sell Nasri now to whoever offers 25 million pounds. If he is really interested in City, Arsenal simply can't compete from a wage perspective and will lose him for nothing in the summer.

Spend the 25 million on the Cahills and get ready to spend big in 2012 summer
    I think if Citeh came through with 25m pounds it'd get done. Wenger said that's what it would take to send him to another English club, and I'd be okay with it after seeing how his attitude has become this year.

My biggest fear with selling people (especially as we're getting deeper into August) is that we either won't spend it at all, or won't be able to find a suitable player and get a deal done in the time remaining. I worry we're going to end up selling Cesc on August 27th or some $#@!, and then we're just going to have to play without him or any suitable replacement.

It wasn't that easy with the Mata situation. Wenger had to wait to see if Cesc and/or Nasri would be sold first before being able to cough up money for Mata. The bitch of it is that Wenger is willing to give in and let Cesc go, but at the right price that Barca won't match. Yet, Wenger wants to hold on to Nasri and City are probably willing to pay what Arsenal would agree to.

Instead, our good friend Arsene buys another 17 year old winger.

Real Priorities
    1a. Buy experienced, quality defenders (that may sway at least Nasri to stay)
    1b. Deal with the Cesc situation. Get funds from sale to buy, in Wenger's words, a "super quality" replacement
    100. Buy 17 year old, still un-proven winger for allegedly £12m (plus 3m more in incentives)

Wenger priorities
    1. Buy 17 year old, still un-proven winger at a record price
    2. Prolong Cesc-Nasri saga and miss out on valuable replacement (Mata)
    100. Nickle and dime for CB although up to £12-15m spent on unproven 17 year old winger could have been used, don't buy back up holding midfielder. Goalkeeper? We need a goalkeeper? I didn't know that.

'

I found this quote funny from the article:

His arrival will encourage Arsenal fans desperate for manager Arsene Wenger to strengthen a squad that has consistently fallen short of mounting a serious challenge for the title.

Yeah, he's really got us all encouraged.
    Last edited by Cluttered; 08-08-2011 at 02:41 PM.

asshat numbereleven can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. numbereleven can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. numbereleven can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. numbereleven can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. numbereleven can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. numbereleven can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. numbereleven can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. numbereleven can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. numbereleven can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. numbereleven can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. numbereleven can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. numbereleven's Avatar
    This HAS to win the prize for the rudest statement ever made by a former club. Posted today on the Saints' website:

Alex Chamberlain has joined Premier League side Arsenal for a club record fee.

Alex Chamberlain has joined Premier League side Arsenal for a club record fee, subject to Premier League and FA approval.

The teenager agreed personal terms and passed a medical this afternoon in one of the biggest deals in Championship history, which sees Saints' previous transfer records blown out of the water.

The deal for the midfielder - who had made it clear he saw his future away from Southampton, was done with Saints in the driving seat for the duration of the protracted negotiations and the transfer was completed on our terms.

The Club had long made it clear that it didn't wish to sell Chamberlain, and would only consider doing so should an offer meet our high valuation of the youngster, who turns 18 next week.

Alex is the club's second youngest ever first team player, having made his debut aged 16 years and 199 days when he made a late cameo against Huddersfield Town at St. Mary's in League One at the start of March 2010.

He scored on his full first team debut at St. Mary's in a 2-0 win over AFC Bournemouth in the first round of the Carling Cup last year and went on to score ten times in total.

However, Chamberlain missed much of the run-in from the team's run to promotion after picking up an ankle injury at Charlton that has resulted in him failing to make another start for the rest of the campaign.

Another knock suffered in pre-season delayed his return to action as he sat out Saturday's opening day win in the Championship over Leeds United, meaning that he moves into the top flight having never played above the third tier of English football.

asshat Durant Durant Shaggy Gold Club Durant Durant Shaggy Gold Club Durant Durant Shaggy Gold Club Durant Durant Shaggy Gold Club Durant Durant Shaggy Gold Club Durant Durant Shaggy Gold Club Durant Durant Shaggy Gold Club Durant Durant Shaggy Gold Club Durant Durant Shaggy Gold Club Durant Durant Shaggy Gold Club Durant Durant Shaggy Gold Club Durant Durant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 89Horn View Post
    It wasn't that easy with the Mata situation. Wenger had to wait to see if Cesc and/or Nasri would be sold first before being able to cough up money for Mata. The bitch of it is that Wenger is willing to give in and let Cesc go, but at the right price that Barca won't match. Yet, Wenger wants to hold on to Nasri and City are probably willing to pay what Arsenal would agree to.

Instead, our good friend Arsene buys another 17 year old winger.

Real Priorities
    1a. Buy experienced, quality defenders (that may sway at least Nasri to stay)
    1b. Deal with the Cesc situation. Get funds from sale to buy, in Wenger's words, a "super quality" replacement
    100. Buy 17 year old, still un-proven winger for allegedly £12m (plus 3m more in incentives)

Wenger priorities
    1. Buy 17 year old, still un-proven winger at a record price
    2. Prolong Cesc-Nasri saga and miss out on valuable replacement (Mata)
    100. Nickle and dime for CB although up to £12-15m spent on unproven 17 year old winger could have been used, don't buy back up holding midfielder. Goalkeeper? We need a goalkeeper? I didn't know that.
    Can't tell if serious, but AW has said GK is definitely not a priority and he's content with the progress SZCZ is making and won't look to bring anybody in that will overtake him.

Oh, hello. I found something in the mail today.

Oh, hello. I found something in the mail today.

Nice! Is that what you get with the $50 Arsenal membership?

That, a letter, and access to Arsenal Player for the year. And ticket priorities, one month out I believe.

Ryo Miyaichi granted work permit. "Almost like a new signing" according to Wenger.

I'm very excited about Ryo but I'm undecided on his ability to contribute in more than short spurts this year.

Like your growing cynicism, Skip. Welcome to club soccer!

Yeah, I've seen some good stuff from him in preseason.

Also, Cesc and Nasri both listed on CL Roster. I'm assuming this doesn't mean a whole lot, as it's a 25 man roster and one change can be made up until Monday. Only cup tied if they play, right?

Arsenal's Champions League squad:
    List A…
    Manuel Almunia
    Andrey Arshavin
    Nicklas Bendtner
    Marouane Chamakh
    Abou Diaby
    Johan Djourou
    Emmanuel Eboue
    Lukasz Fabianski
    Cesc Fabregas
    Gervinho
    Kieran Gibbs
    Carl Jenkinson
    Laurent Koscielny
    Vito Mannone
    Samir Nasri
    Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
    Tomas Rosicky
    Bacary Sagna
    Alex Song
    Sebastien Squillaci
    Armand Traore
    Robin van Persie
    Carlos Vela
    Thomas Vermaelen
    Theo Walcott

List B...
    Aaron Ramsey
    Wojciech Szczesny
    Jack Wilshere
    Benik Afobe
    Chuks Aneke
    Zak Ansah
    Daniel Boateng
    George Brislen-Hall
    Francis Coquelin
    Craig Eastmond
    Luke Freeman
    Emmanuel Frimpong
    Sead Hajrovic
    Conor Henderson
    Gavin Hoyte
    Jernade Meade
    Ignasi Miquel
    Rhys Murphy
    Nigel Neita
    Oguzhan Ozyakup
    Gilles Sunu
    Sanchez Watt
    Nico Yennaris

Arsenal Football Club has announced its squad for the Champions League Play-Off Round.

The Club has submitted an A list (List A) and a B list (List B) of players, all of whom will be eligible for the Play-Off Round tie with Udinese.

List A for the Play-Off Round is final, although a single change to the squad can be made by Monday 15 August (the day before the first-leg game).

Should the Club progress to the Group Stage of the competition, an updated List A will be submitted by September 1, which will apply for the remainder of the competition.

Under UEFA rules, Arsenal is eligible to register 25 players to List A for the Play-Off Round and an unlimited number of players to List B.

A player qualifies for inclusion in List B if he was born on or after January 1, 1990 and has been eligible to play for the Club for an uninterrupted period of two years or more since his 15th birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by Durant Durant View Post
    Can't tell if serious, but AW has said GK is definitely not a priority and he's content with the progress SZCZ is making and won't look to bring anybody in that will overtake him.
    Serious and sarcastic. Yes, Wenger can say all he wants that it is not a priority. It is a priority. I think Szczesny is the No.1, but there's no quality at back up. Honestly, did you see any of the Keystone Cops follies involving our CBs and GK last year??? Fabianski is next in quality, but Almunia is $#@! and could be gone by the end of August. Mannone will probably be loaned out again. With as many injuries Arsenal players suffer each season, depth and quality of depth should be his priority. Recall that Mad Jens had to be brought back in an emergency as cover for Szczesny when both Almunia and Fabianski were hurt and Mannone wasn't recalled.

So, in other news as SkipperJ points out, Cesc and Nasri are included in the Champions' League squad. Interesting.

Give it 45 seconds to get started.

Saw that earlier today. Quite amusing.

Looks like the Cesc to Barc deal might be imminent now.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/14482418.stm

Arsenal captain Cesc Fabregas is close to signing for European champions Barcelona for a fee believed to be about £35m.

The transfer, one of the most protracted in Premier League history, is yet to be completed but Arsenal expect it to be done by the weekend.

According to a senior source at the club, all the funds generated by the sale will be reinvested in new players.

Arsenal have been linked with Scott Dann, Phil Jagielka and Gary Cahill.

Fabregas, 24, would be unable to feature for Barcelona in the Champions League if he plays a part in Arsenal's match with Udinese on Tuesday, motivating both clubs to complete a deal as swiftly as possible.

The BBC understands a fee of £30m, plus over £5m of additional performance-related payments is close to being reached for Fabregas.

It is understood that, if he is sold, the Spaniard will be due £4m in compensation - £1m for each year of his contract he did not complete - but may be prepared to forego that payment in order to facilitate a deal.

The transfer fee is significantly less than the £40m that Arsenal had been holding out for and suggests that Arsenal felt they had no choice but to sell a player who wanted to leave.

Fabregas joined Arsenal from the Catalan giants in 2003 and, since making his name with the Gunners, has been persistently linked with a return to his home club.

If the deal goes through as expected, Fabregas will become Barcelona's second major signing of the summer following their £23m purchase of Chilean forward Alexis Sanchez.

Uh, yeah, I highly doubt Arsenal is going to pay you a million for every year left in your contract when its you who initiated the transfer.

30 $#@!ING MILLION?! ARE YOU $#@!ING $#@!TING ME?! We're gonna sell Nasri for 25 and Cesc for 30? Where in the world does that make any $#@!ing sense. And PERFORMANCE RELATED BONUSES?! He's going to sit on the bench for 80% of the time he's there. I'm okay with him leaving because I'm tired of the ups and downs, but all we're doing is bending over to let Barca give us the shaft like they wanted to in the beginning. This is bull$#@!.

In other news, word is Ramsay got hurt today playing for Wales, but I can't find any details. /rapper

Friday is going to SUCK.

But hey, we got the "new Fabregas"...This is the most pessimistic I've been at the beginning of a season since I've followed the Gunners.

Arsenal Snap Up £12m Jadson as "new Fabregas"

Arsenal snap up £12m Jadson as 'new Fabregas'
    Nasri agrees five-year deal on £165,000 a week – and City want him to play Monday

By Ian Herbert, Northern Football Correspondent
    Friday, 12 August 2011

Arsene Wenger is convinced that the £12m purchase of Jadson, a Brazilian midfielder in the Cesc Fabregas mould, will enable Arsenal to build from their summer wreckage, as Manchester City hold out hope that £22m Samir Nasri could be their player in time to field him against Swansea City on Monday night.

Jadson (right), a tough, compact, 27-year-old attacking midfielder, revealed his capacity for goals in this summer's Copa America, though his arrival from Shakhtar Donetsk as a replacement for Fabregas – who is likely to follow Nasri out of the Emirates next week – will do little to lift the spirits of Arsenal supporters.

The Independent understands that manager Wenger was powerless to hold on to Nasri after a board meeting eight days ago at which principal shareholder Stan Kroenke insisted that it would be folly to sacrifice City's money and see the Frenchman leave as a free agent next summer. Wenger did not put up a fight and City hope to announce the signing of the player imminently.

City must lodge the transfer documents with the Premier League by midday today if they are to field the 24-year-old against the newly promoted Welsh side.

Confirmation is expected today of Nasri's five-year City deal, under which Nasri will earn around £165,000 a week – almost double the £90,000-a-week new deal he was offered to stay in north London.

With Fabregas likely to be on the way to Barcelona for a fee of €34m (£29.8m) paid up front and up to €6m in add-ons, Shakhtar's representatives were in London yesterday to discuss the sale of Jadson.

Though he is the best of the clutch of Brazilians at the Ukrainian club, a £12m deal would make them a £9m profit on the sum paid to Brazilian club side Atletico-PR in 2005. Jadson's spectacular goal against Paraguay for Brazil in the Copa America revealed his goal-scoring prowess and he is likely to be deployed in an advanced role in front of Jack Wilshere and Alex Song in the Arsenal midfield.

Few will see Jadson as a like-for-like replacement for Fabregas, despite his physical similarities to the Spaniard, and at 27 he is not the next big thing in Brazil. But Jadson arrives with the advantage of being ready to launch straight into the season, having been heavily involved in the Ukrainian campaign, which is well under way. He said yesterday: "If everything goes to plan, I'll have some news for everyone at the start of next week. Hope it works out."

City have been reluctant to discuss their moves for Nasri. The club are highly sensitive about the image of them using their wealth to take players without the customary diplomacy towards the clubs they are taking them from.

The City manager Roberto Mancini's public discussion of the Frenchman earlier this summer did not help their image. But although Nasri's departure will increase the number of Arsenal players who have moved to Eastlands to four – Emmanuel Adebayor, Kolo Touré, Gaël Clichy and Nasri – negotiations between the two clubs were said to be amicable yesterday.

Nasri's arrival may not halt City's moves for Fiorentina winger Alessio Cerci. Though a deal to bring in the 24-year-old is not imminent, the player is one whom Mancini has personally pushed to secure, and a Fiorentina valuation of £6m is not considered to represent a major gamble. Cerci is keen to leave the Serie A club following a falling-out with the manager, Sinisa Mihajlovic.

Arsenal have opened preliminary discussions with Birmingham City over the signing of £8m defender Scott Dann. Bolton are working to come closer to meeting Shaun Wright-Phillips' £70,000-a-week wage demands.

Who is Jadson? Lowdown on new Gunner

Part of Shakhtar's Brazilian set

Jadson is perhaps the best of Shakhtar Donetsk's large Brazilian contingent. He was brought to Ukraine from his first club, Atletico Paranaense in 2005. He was joined at the Ukrainian club by compatriots Willian, Ilsinho, Fernandinho, Luiz Adriano and most recently the Manchester United target Douglas Costa.

The architect of their success

Jadson has the characteristic gifts of a Brazilian attacking midfielder. He is well balanced, with a low centre of gravity and has exceptional footwork from either side. For Shakhtar he played as the central attacking midfielder of a 4-2-3-1, similar to Arsenal's current system. In seven seasons in Ukraine, Jadson won the title five times, as well as two cups.

That magical night in Istanbul

Jadson's peak as a Shakhtar player was the 2009 Uefa Cup final at Fenerbahce's stadium in Istanbul. After one of his trademark late runs into the box, he scored the winning goal in extra-time as Shakhtar beat Werder Bremen 2-1.

International recognition

His international career has only just started, but he went to the Copa America and scored the opening goal from distance in Brazil's 2-2 draw with Paraguay.

Where will he fit in at Arsenal?

His skills are perfect to replace Cesc Fabregas as the brain of the 4-3-3 system. Of similar build to Fabregas (and Samir Nasri), he should contribute goals from distance and from inside the box.
    I guess he did ok in the Copa America, but I personally don't remember him standing out. Ugh.

more talk of Eden Hazard, too. which i would totally support.

Closed Thread