+ Reply to Thread

Thread: AC Squeal - '98 Honda Civic

bunghole Nacho slams and goes hard. Nacho slams and goes hard. Nacho slams and goes hard. Nacho slams and goes hard. Nacho slams and goes hard. Nacho slams and goes hard. Nacho slams and goes hard. Nacho slams and goes hard. Nacho slams and goes hard. Nacho slams and goes hard. Nacho slams and goes hard. Nacho's Avatar

AC Squeal - '98 Honda Civic

Howdy. My beater is dying. When I turn the AC on and engage the transmission, I get a wicked hyena-squeal that causes motorists within a 1-block radius to stare me down. It's humorous, but embarrassing. The squeal only happens when 1) the AC is on and 2) I don't have the clutch pressed and the car is in gear. I can't really self-diagnose as it doesn't do it while idling. At all. It goes on indefinitely, until I press the clutch in or turn off the AC.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

asshat Basil Your Face might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Basil Your Face might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Basil Your Face might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Basil Your Face might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Basil Your Face might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Basil Your Face might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Basil Your Face might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Basil Your Face might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Basil Your Face might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Basil Your Face might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Basil Your Face might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Basil Your Face's Avatar
    You need a car that is less of a piece of $#@! than the one you now drive.

asshat dedalus can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. dedalus can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. dedalus can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. dedalus can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. dedalus can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. dedalus can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. dedalus can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. dedalus can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. dedalus can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. dedalus can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. dedalus can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. dedalus's Avatar
    One of your vacuum hose things that runs the air through your vents is leaking, and when air rushes through it creates the squeak/whistle noise. Not at all a technical explanation. Pretty sure I heard that exact question answered by the car talk guys on NPR like a week ago.

Of course it could be something stuck in there or something, but that's the explanation the car talk guys gave.

Quote Originally Posted by Nacho View Post
    Howdy. My beater is dying. When I turn the AC on and engage the transmission, I get a wicked hyena-squeal that causes motorists within a 1-block radius to stare me down. It's humorous, but embarrassing. The squeal only happens when 1) the AC is on and 2) I don't have the clutch pressed and the car is in gear. I can't really self-diagnose as it doesn't do it while idling. At all. It goes on indefinitely, until I press the clutch in or turn off the AC.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
    Yeah, you should buy the 2000 Honda Accord that I'm selling. Did I tell you that the AC doesn't make any noises at all and will put a frost on a Polar Bear's ass in the North Pole?

bunghole Nacho slams and goes hard. Nacho slams and goes hard. Nacho slams and goes hard. Nacho slams and goes hard. Nacho slams and goes hard. Nacho slams and goes hard. Nacho slams and goes hard. Nacho slams and goes hard. Nacho slams and goes hard. Nacho slams and goes hard. Nacho slams and goes hard. Nacho's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Basil Your Face View Post
    You need a car that is less of a piece of $#@! than the one you now drive.
    It's in the works. Had my ex not cleaned me out while I was deployed, I'd have bought a new truck by now. But if i can fix it for cheap in the meantime, I'm going to.

asshat iamthepush Shaggy Gold Club iamthepush Shaggy Gold Club iamthepush Shaggy Gold Club iamthepush Shaggy Gold Club iamthepush Shaggy Gold Club iamthepush Shaggy Gold Club iamthepush Shaggy Gold Club iamthepush Shaggy Gold Club iamthepush Shaggy Gold Club iamthepush Shaggy Gold Club iamthepush Shaggy Gold Club iamthepush's Avatar
    I might be a woman beater, but I'm not a pussy eater
    i bet it needs a belt or belt tensioner

asshat iamthepush Shaggy Gold Club iamthepush Shaggy Gold Club iamthepush Shaggy Gold Club iamthepush Shaggy Gold Club iamthepush Shaggy Gold Club iamthepush Shaggy Gold Club iamthepush Shaggy Gold Club iamthepush Shaggy Gold Club iamthepush Shaggy Gold Club iamthepush Shaggy Gold Club iamthepush Shaggy Gold Club iamthepush's Avatar
    I might be a woman beater, but I'm not a pussy eater
    Quote Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
    One of your vacuum hose things that runs the air through your vents is leaking, and when air rushes through it creates the squeak/whistle noise. Not at all a technical explanation. Pretty sure I heard that exact question answered by the car talk guys on NPR like a week ago.

Of course it could be something stuck in there or something, but that's the explanation the car talk guys gave.
    prolly not this

asshat Basil Your Face might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Basil Your Face might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Basil Your Face might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Basil Your Face might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Basil Your Face might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Basil Your Face might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Basil Your Face might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Basil Your Face might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Basil Your Face might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Basil Your Face might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Basil Your Face might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Basil Your Face's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nacho View Post
    It's in the works. Had my ex not cleaned me out while I was deployed, I'd have bought a new truck by now. But if i can fix it for cheap in the meantime, I'm going to.
    Well that $#@!ing sucks - sorry to hear that.

asshat Duck of Death might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Duck of Death might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Duck of Death might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Duck of Death might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Duck of Death might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Duck of Death might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Duck of Death might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Duck of Death might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Duck of Death might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Duck of Death might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Duck of Death might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Duck of Death's Avatar
    new belt. easy fix

asshat William Cannon slams and goes hard. William Cannon slams and goes hard. William Cannon slams and goes hard. William Cannon slams and goes hard. William Cannon slams and goes hard. William Cannon slams and goes hard. William Cannon slams and goes hard. William Cannon slams and goes hard. William Cannon slams and goes hard. William Cannon slams and goes hard. William Cannon slams and goes hard. William Cannon's Avatar
    the first place we could see, servin' cold beer in the shade
    Quote Originally Posted by iamthepush View Post
    i bet it needs a belt or belt tensioner
    my guess as well, but this man ^ knows his stuff..

asshat RottenBananas is a rep whore. RottenBananas is a rep whore. RottenBananas is a rep whore. RottenBananas is a rep whore. RottenBananas is a rep whore. RottenBananas is a rep whore. RottenBananas is a rep whore. RottenBananas is a rep whore. RottenBananas is a rep whore. RottenBananas is a rep whore. RottenBananas is a rep whore. RottenBananas's Avatar
    Likely a belt/tensioner issue, but I hope your compresser isn't effed.

asshat Mother Mopar can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Mother Mopar can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Mother Mopar can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Mother Mopar can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Mother Mopar can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Mother Mopar can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Mother Mopar can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Mother Mopar can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Mother Mopar can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Mother Mopar can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Mother Mopar can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night.
    Agree with the numerous "it's a belt post" Not sure if your 98 is a serpentine belt or not. My 00 Civic EX isn't but belt changes are not hard. When was the last time the belt was changed? Rubber has a tendacy to stretch over time.

+ Reply to Thread