+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ryan Adams - Ashes & Fire

asshat Ramsalot is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Ramsalot is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Ramsalot is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Ramsalot is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Ramsalot is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Ramsalot is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Ramsalot is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Ramsalot is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Ramsalot is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Ramsalot is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares?

Ryan Adams - Ashes & Fire

New album coming. From Q magazine...

Two years ago, Ryan Adams took up a new pastime: hiking in the Californian mountains. He'd been diagnosed with Meniere's disease, a disorder of the inner ear that affected his hearing and nervous system. Soon, he'd quit working with his band The Cardinals and, in 2010, baffled fans by releasing Orion, a heavy metal concept album recorded four years earlier. Adams seemed to be in need of some peace.

"I'd been sober for many years," he says now. "But in order to survive the Meniere's, I had to give up smoking, pharmaceutical drugs and drinking espresso." Adams found one of the few recreational pursuits that didn't leave him feeling sick and delirious was exercise. His wife actress Mandy Moore, took him walking in the hills. "She just reminded that when I did my first elevation peak I was still smoking," he laughs. "I like to head out to the hills near Dante's Peak. Once you get to the top you can see the ocean and condors, owls and coyotes."

This state calm seems to have fed into Adams's forthcoming album, Ashes & Fire 12 elegant country-rock songs, featuring Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers' organist Benmont Tench and guest co-vocalist Norah Jones. The album also continues Adams's long relationship with the Johns dynasty. Producer Ethan Johns worked with Adams's old band Whiskeytown in 1999. Ethan's father, Glyn Johns, whose credits include The Who and The Rolling Stones, produced Ashes & Fire. "Glyn's a gent," says Adams. "He's working on a book of his life, so I don't want to spoil it by repeating his stories."

After testing his stamina with acoustic UK dates in June ("I had a good night every night"), Adams plans a full UK tour this autumn. He also intends to make this record his prime focus. Unusually there are no plans to release any previously recorded albums or out-takes. "Music was the first thing I loved to do after drawing, making my grandmother laugh and eating cake," he insists. "I think the tag 'prolific' is used to minimalise what I do. I'm always working, but I've decided not to share."

Adams has already shared two books of his poetry and short stories, Infinity Blues and Hello Sunshine. Expect a third, "I'm now writing a novel about a lovable rat. But if I say more it won't happen."

Glad he's sober. His time in Austin was . . . not pretty.

asshat Stringer grows his own roses Stringer grows his own roses Stringer grows his own roses Stringer grows his own roses Stringer grows his own roses Stringer grows his own roses Stringer grows his own roses Stringer grows his own roses Stringer grows his own roses Stringer grows his own roses Stringer grows his own roses Stringer's Avatar
    Looking forward to it. The double album that came out last year didn't do it for me. Having Glyn Johns as producer isn't a bad thing since he is a legend and Ryan's best work was with Ethan.

He needs to find a way to release Suicide Handbook and 48 Hours.

asshat mez2 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mez2 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mez2 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mez2 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mez2 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mez2 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mez2 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mez2 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mez2 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mez2 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mez2 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mez2's Avatar
    showin' naked ass in the great state of Texas
    looking forward to this coming out. one of my favorites alltime

asshat NOMAAA is a rep whore. NOMAAA is a rep whore. NOMAAA is a rep whore. NOMAAA is a rep whore. NOMAAA is a rep whore. NOMAAA is a rep whore. NOMAAA is a rep whore. NOMAAA is a rep whore. NOMAAA is a rep whore. NOMAAA is a rep whore. NOMAAA is a rep whore. NOMAAA's Avatar
    we will see. what ive heard so far wasnt good. hes put out enough for me to be happy for a long time with. heartbreaker, gold, love is hell, 29, jcn all brilliant. the rest...eh. it is what it is. ill give it a shot.

faux aggy hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew's Avatar
    "He's (Glyn Johns) working on a book of his life, so I don't want to spoil it by repeating his stories."
    I can't wait for this baby. The guy is a legend. Has worked with The Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin, Dylan, The Band, The Clash, Joan Armatrading, John Hiatt, The Faces, The Who, Clapton, Eagles, Costello, and Emmylou just to name a few.

I thought the produced and early Elton John album but apparently not. Anyway, in looking for that, I stumbled upon this gem he did produce.
    http://www.webhostingpal.com/jdv/html/st-tcb.htm

he's married to Mandy Moore?

didn't see that one coming

asshat Art Vandelay is a rep whore. Art Vandelay is a rep whore. Art Vandelay is a rep whore. Art Vandelay is a rep whore. Art Vandelay is a rep whore. Art Vandelay is a rep whore. Art Vandelay is a rep whore. Art Vandelay is a rep whore. Art Vandelay is a rep whore. Art Vandelay is a rep whore. Art Vandelay is a rep whore. Art Vandelay's Avatar
    I'm a huge fan, so this sits well with me.

I've been one of Ryan Adams' biggest critics on this board, but I want this album to be great. I like what I'm reading so far.

faux aggy hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by unpaintedhuffhines View Post
    he's married to Mandy Moore?
    Yep, they got married a couple of years ago. It has lasted about 18 months longer than I thought it would. Wish the quality of this video was better. She is doing a good job of Emmylou's part.
    Last edited by hullabelew; 07-27-2011 at 02:21 PM.

Banned Bedouin Bedouin Bedouin Bedouin Bedouin Bedouin Bedouin Bedouin Bedouin Bedouin Bedouin
    This place is nothing more than Lord of The Flies
    Seems like he lost his writing ability when he got sober. Still one of my favs though.

asshat HornGrandioso grows his own roses HornGrandioso grows his own roses HornGrandioso grows his own roses HornGrandioso grows his own roses HornGrandioso grows his own roses HornGrandioso grows his own roses HornGrandioso grows his own roses HornGrandioso grows his own roses HornGrandioso grows his own roses HornGrandioso grows his own roses HornGrandioso grows his own roses HornGrandioso's Avatar
    No Neal Casal and John Graboff then? Maybe the Cardinals will get together at least for the tour supporting the album...

If this guy is a latter-day, second-coming of Gram Parsons, he needed to wander off into the desert years ago. My expectations are rock-bottom, so I don't see how I can be disappointed.

asshat Stringer grows his own roses Stringer grows his own roses Stringer grows his own roses Stringer grows his own roses Stringer grows his own roses Stringer grows his own roses Stringer grows his own roses Stringer grows his own roses Stringer grows his own roses Stringer grows his own roses Stringer grows his own roses Stringer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bedouin View Post
    Seems like he lost his writing ability when he got sober.
    Happens to just about anybody that was $#@!ed up and great. Sobriety is $#@!ing overrated.

asshat mez2 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mez2 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mez2 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mez2 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mez2 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mez2 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mez2 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mez2 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mez2 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mez2 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mez2 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mez2's Avatar
    will buy.

Banned BigLeonard headed for a crowd source bannination BigLeonard headed for a crowd source bannination BigLeonard headed for a crowd source bannination BigLeonard headed for a crowd source bannination BigLeonard headed for a crowd source bannination
    This will be on the new album. Pretty epic if you ask me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wfBDJLUVeE

Quote Originally Posted by BigLeonard View Post
    This will be on the new album. Pretty epic if you ask me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wfBDJLUVeE
    Two more:

Hopefully he keeps them like this for the record. Very much in the vein of Heartbreaker and 29.

asshat NOMAAA is a rep whore. NOMAAA is a rep whore. NOMAAA is a rep whore. NOMAAA is a rep whore. NOMAAA is a rep whore. NOMAAA is a rep whore. NOMAAA is a rep whore. NOMAAA is a rep whore. NOMAAA is a rep whore. NOMAAA is a rep whore. NOMAAA is a rep whore. NOMAAA's Avatar
    well dirty rain sounds great. would love for him to get back to the good ol days.

asshat HornGrandioso grows his own roses HornGrandioso grows his own roses HornGrandioso grows his own roses HornGrandioso grows his own roses HornGrandioso grows his own roses HornGrandioso grows his own roses HornGrandioso grows his own roses HornGrandioso grows his own roses HornGrandioso grows his own roses HornGrandioso grows his own roses HornGrandioso grows his own roses HornGrandioso's Avatar
    http://www.pastemagazine.com/article...our-dates.html

Tour dates for acoustic shows in October. Nothing in Texas.

Quit $#@!ing around and get the band* back together!!! GRRRR.

*The Cardinals (need a new bass player though. sad face.)

asshat Jive Turkey GORN Jive Turkey GORN Jive Turkey GORN Jive Turkey GORN Jive Turkey GORN Jive Turkey GORN Jive Turkey GORN Jive Turkey GORN Jive Turkey GORN Jive Turkey GORN Jive Turkey GORN Jive Turkey's Avatar
    The nurturing biosphere of the mothership.
    that might be a good time to visit my sister and nephew in San Diego.

asshat Ramsalot is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Ramsalot is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Ramsalot is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Ramsalot is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Ramsalot is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Ramsalot is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Ramsalot is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Ramsalot is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Ramsalot is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Ramsalot is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares?
    saw him at dinner tonight. he was on the phone as he walked by me or else i would've tried chatting with him a bit about the new album.

cool story, i know.

Banned BigLeonard headed for a crowd source bannination BigLeonard headed for a crowd source bannination BigLeonard headed for a crowd source bannination BigLeonard headed for a crowd source bannination BigLeonard headed for a crowd source bannination

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsalot View Post
    saw him at dinner tonight. he was on the phone as he walked by me or else i would've tried chatting with him a bit about the new album.

cool story, i know.
    10 years ago you and both would have interrupted him. or at least walked behind him until he was off the phone, then talked to him.

truth.

really really good article here about his career and the new album, plus videos of solo acoustic performances of a couple new songs...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011...oken?fb=optOut

Thanks for posting that link. I love the last line.
    "I used to be panicked. Now I'm curious."
    Reminds me of Costello's 'Red Shoes'. "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"

The more I read about and hear from this thing, the more excited I get. Definitely seems to be a back to basics approach and with a Johns family member at the helm, the chances of it being great is only increased.

^^ Beat me to it.

"Dirty Rain" is a great song. Thanks for the find Ruffian (and Stringer)

this is really really good. easily his best work since 29.

The whole album's up

http://www.ashesandfire.com/

asshat Art Vandelay is a rep whore. Art Vandelay is a rep whore. Art Vandelay is a rep whore. Art Vandelay is a rep whore. Art Vandelay is a rep whore. Art Vandelay is a rep whore. Art Vandelay is a rep whore. Art Vandelay is a rep whore. Art Vandelay is a rep whore. Art Vandelay is a rep whore. Art Vandelay is a rep whore. Art Vandelay's Avatar
    this is really really good. easily his best work since 29.
    Agreed. I'm really liking this. A lot.

i'm gonna have to make it a point to get this in the next day or so.

Overall, it's definitely a return to the feel and sound of "Gold." I'm more of a fan of the jammier and alt-country stuff with the Cardinals but this album is solid. Need a few more spins to make a final opinion.

I'm with Grandioso. Not enough variation in songs. They all kind of bleed together for me.

asshat tropheus Shaggy Gold Club tropheus Shaggy Gold Club tropheus Shaggy Gold Club tropheus Shaggy Gold Club tropheus Shaggy Gold Club tropheus Shaggy Gold Club tropheus Shaggy Gold Club tropheus Shaggy Gold Club tropheus Shaggy Gold Club tropheus Shaggy Gold Club tropheus Shaggy Gold Club
    Quote Originally Posted by hullabelew View Post
    "Dirty Rain" is a great song. Thanks for the find Ruffian (and Stringer)
    Heard it this morning on kut very impressed

Quote Originally Posted by NOMAAA View Post
    10 years ago you and both would have interrupted him. or at least walked behind him until he was off the phone, then talked to him.
    i'm going to need a nomaaa review of this before i know what to think of it.

still havent listened.

The title track "Ashes and Fire" has a Dylan Blood on the Tracks or Desire vibe to it. Love it.

I took a stab at the first single...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJsh2NjmHZA

Official video...

Awwww man. That is so good, Rams. Suits your voice beautifully. More, por favor.

Banned Bedouin Bedouin Bedouin Bedouin Bedouin Bedouin Bedouin Bedouin Bedouin Bedouin Bedouin
    This place is nothing more than Lord of The Flies
    So did Ryan get a divorce?
    Last edited by Bedouin; 10-26-2011 at 08:57 PM.

I took a stab at the first single...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJsh2NjmHZA
    Very nice. I learned how to play this just the other day. Wish I had your voice though.

asshat heinhorn slams and goes hard. heinhorn slams and goes hard. heinhorn slams and goes hard. heinhorn slams and goes hard. heinhorn slams and goes hard. heinhorn slams and goes hard. heinhorn slams and goes hard. heinhorn slams and goes hard. heinhorn slams and goes hard. heinhorn slams and goes hard. heinhorn slams and goes hard. heinhorn's Avatar
    Ramsey - Love the nascar commercial.

nice pinky. but really, nice pinky.

i got a real big laugh out of this performance when cold roses came out. didnt give a $#@! that he looked like saul of the molemen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLGr...eature=related

looks like he has gotten his $#@! together again. need to give this album a real serious listen. hear its really good.

asshat HoustonHorn grows his own roses HoustonHorn grows his own roses HoustonHorn grows his own roses HoustonHorn grows his own roses HoustonHorn grows his own roses HoustonHorn grows his own roses HoustonHorn grows his own roses HoustonHorn grows his own roses HoustonHorn grows his own roses HoustonHorn grows his own roses HoustonHorn grows his own roses HoustonHorn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NOMAAA View Post
    need to give this album a real serious listen. hear its really good.
    it is

nice.

I know it ain't on topic. And I know this particular rendition has probably been posted 17 times already. I don't have much to add. But man, that is just some honest an' pretty music making, right there.

When he squeezes in with that harp, it just kills me. Beautiful.

• + Reply to Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast