+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Lakewood (Dallas) news

Quote Originally Posted by mdmost View Post
    I wrote this elsewhere the other day on this topic:

I think some food trucks would be a great idea. It enhances the lake and adds to people's enjoyment when they go for a ride, a run, or bring their family down to play. Also it wouldn't be permanent. I doubt the food trucks would be out every day, maybe just on weekends or at peak times. We've already seen some non-permanent additions to the Lake that have enhanced people's enjoyment of the Lake like the kayak rentals on the North end of the Lake by Boy Scout Hill that is seasonal.

Permanent structures being added would really have to depend on where they would go and what they would replace. Winfrey Point? That's a horrible idea as many groups rent that out for weddings, meetings, kids activities, etc. Dreyfus Club? While I would love to see something rebuilt there, it's not exactly a large space. Add to that there is only one way in and one way out. Would the city be willing to reopen the stretch of the road that is currently blocked off from the Boathouse to just North of the Dreyfus Club circle? I agree with others that the only way to see some movement on rebuilding the Dreyfus Club would be from an outside, private source. I think that would be a great area for the food trucks to go. Highly visible and reachable by foot, bike or automobile.

Other areas that are multi-use on the map from the DMN blog would all be horrific ideas. Boy Scout Hill is a great place to just go for a walk, have a picnic, fly a kite or look at wildflowers. Big Thicket is a great place for kids to play and families to cook out. T&P Hill would probably be a no go from the people who live right around that area who already deal with an increase in traffic from Lake goers. There's also a very popular playground up there. It would be unfortunate to remove the natural landscape of those areas for a private business to go in. There is some space around the dog park but I would think the city might want to hold onto that since the dog park is arguably the most popular part of the lake area. That might be the best area though for a Katy Trail Ice House type restaurant/bar. However, you would be destroying more natural landscapes for a private business. You also would be taking away much needed parking spaces for bikers and joggers.

I would rather the city focus on development around the spillway (like getting rid of Far West or the dead liquor stores) and Barbec's area. Private businesses have already opened on the outskirts of the Lake to allow for people to get something to eat or drink like the Bicycle Cafe just North off Lawther Road. Just have to walk or ride a few minutes to get there. Ultimately, there needs to be a thought that some places in our city just shouldn't be open to private development.

White Rock Lake is a public amenity that should be preserved for future generations. Things like Emerald Isle were opposed by me because even though they were not right on the Lake, their additions would bring about a flood of people wanting to develop on the Lake, permanently altering both the beauty and the concept of why people go to White Rock Lake. The idea of going to the Lake isn't to have a West Village type experience. If people want that, there is a ton of cheap real estate all along Garland Road that someone could buy up and transform. This isn't like the Dallas Zoo where a private company could manage the Lake better. Short of too much trash around the Lake, the city does a fine job with maintaining the Lake.

I always thought the old pump house that is now the rowing club/museum would have made a great restaurant.
    You've been reading my mail. That's about word for word how I feel. White Rock's too valuable to meddle with. The area around the spill way on both sides of the Santa Fe trail offers the best opportunity for new commercial development with stuff like Katy Trail Ice House.

asshat mdmost might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mdmost might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mdmost might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mdmost might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mdmost might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mdmost might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mdmost might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mdmost might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mdmost might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mdmost might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mdmost might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mdmost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by drycreek View Post
    You've been reading my mail. That's about word for word how I feel. White Rock's too valuable to meddle with. The area around the spill way on both sides of the Santa Fe trail offers the best opportunity for new commercial development with stuff like Katy Trail Ice House.
    Whatever went into where The White Rock Yacht Club/Shotgun Sams was went under yet again. That property backs up to the Santa Fe extension. Plenty of room. Plenty of parking. Only issue is being on the wrong side of the road. Perfect spot though IMO and Goodfriend has shown that people in the area will frequent an establishment with good beer and good food.

Whatever went into where The White Rock Yacht Club/Shotgun Sams was went under yet again. That property backs up to the Santa Fe extension. Plenty of room. Plenty of parking. Only issue is being on the wrong side of the road. Perfect spot though IMO and Goodfriend has shown that people in the area will frequent an establishment with good beer and good food.
    Is this the old Backyard whatever it was called? The one with the pool in the back? If so, I agree. It's property line backs right up to the Sante Fe Trail. I think it's already got a pool and several sand volleyball courts. Just needs the right owners and management.

asshat the immortal Elvis Presto grows his own roses the immortal Elvis Presto grows his own roses the immortal Elvis Presto grows his own roses the immortal Elvis Presto grows his own roses the immortal Elvis Presto grows his own roses the immortal Elvis Presto grows his own roses the immortal Elvis Presto grows his own roses the immortal Elvis Presto grows his own roses the immortal Elvis Presto grows his own roses the immortal Elvis Presto grows his own roses the immortal Elvis Presto grows his own roses the immortal Elvis Presto's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by drycreek View Post
    Is this the old Backyard whatever it was called? The one with the pool in the back? If so, I agree. It's property line backs right up to the Sante Fe Trail. I think it's already got a pool and several sand volleyball courts. Just needs the right owners and management.
    that would be $#@!ing sick. i went to that place a couple of summers ago and it was terrible but could have potential w/ the right owner. i would love to see the mexican dance hall go away and have some good new $#@! come in around there.

dead from aggy misery od Ghost of LL might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ghost of LL might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ghost of LL might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ghost of LL might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ghost of LL might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ghost of LL might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ghost of LL might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ghost of LL might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ghost of LL might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ghost of LL might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ghost of LL might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ghost of LL's Avatar
    They Tried to Make Me Go to Aggy Misery Rehab . . .
    Far West is going to have some problems with it's liquor license renewal, so it may not be there much longer.

So the YMCA is under contract to someone. Far West may be screwed. Additionally, I've heard that Lincoln Property has the retail center across from Far West/Y under contract. The one with the Subway. Something big is going down at that intersection. Wonder if Backyard closing is related? I knew Rand stopped giving a $#@! about running the place and just wanted to sell the land to a developer for a retarded price. Then some SMU kids (?) leased the business. Last summer it was PACKED. Even on random fall/winter nights it had more cars than I'd ever seen there. Strange.

I know Zad Roumaya who did the "Buzz Lofts" over in the Cedars has or had some of that property under contract for a redevelopment into live/work/play stuff. Here's a not too old Q/A with the Lakewood Advocate. The interesection has huge potential. I think it's probably just a matter of time before it turns around. I think the Garland Road Vision is going to be huge for East Dallas as well and Zad talks a bit about that here.

http://lakewood.advocatemag.com/2010...h-zad-roumaya/

Q&A: Buzz Lofts developer Zad Roumaya

This article is 10 of 17 in the 08.2010 issue.
    Zad Roumaya, who developed Buzz Lofts in the Cedars neighborhood, had a plan for the two-story retail development at Garland and Gaston. He wanted to turn the 5.2-acre Lakeview Shopping Center into Wrock, a residential-over-office/retail development that he hoped would turn the “awkward” intersection around. He and the property’s owners, Ty Commercial, got it rezoned just as the economy was tanking. So the project is on hold due to a lack of financing. But Roumaya sat down to talk with us about the future of Garland Road and other developments.

Was Lakeview Shopping Center, where you were planning to build Wrock, ever successful?
    It’s a two-tiered site, and there’s about 60,000 square feet of building there that through the years has been retail or casual restaurant, and most of it’s empty now. It’s a very challenging traffic corner, and I don’t think it’s ever flourished. There are three or four tenants. There’s an optical shop, a dentist and a Subway. And in the back, there’s a billiards place.

It seems like a perfect example of a design that is not sustainable.

Yes, that’s a pretty traditional ’80s product. I know what happened there. They were geographically challenged because it’s on a hill. So they made the building meet the land grade.That’s why it’s two-tiered. And how many two-tiered shopping centers are successful in Dallas?
    That seems like it should be a successful retail corner, and yet, it’s not. Why is that?
    The intersection needs to be fixed, and that’s part of the Garland Road Vision plan. It has to be smart enough to let traffic flow through there, but it also has to create some gating and safety. Frankly, the intersection is kind of derelict. There’s so much potential, and there’s such a smattering of different owners and uses that are outdated. That intersection is too important not to be looked at in the next few years, and I hope it will be reconsidered.

How would your plan for Wrock have addressed the problems there?
    The city worked with us with some very specific definitions of live/work. So the bottom level had some opportunity for live/work. The zoning allows them to live on the property, or even off the property within the community, and office downstairs or have a storefront. And that would engage people in the community in daily activity. When the intersection did get fixed, we knew that the building could adapt to provide neighborhood services, retail and the like, once all that snapped together. That whole intersection is a potential possible development for the uses that could be on both sides of the street. That spark could be a catalyst for development on the other side.

Speaking of the Garland Road Vision plan, what do you think that will accomplish for our neighborhood?
    At times like this, when the market is down, that’s the time for people with vision. The Garland Road Vision is a great example of how to compromise on density and how you resolve issues with mass transit and structure parking to promote people actually getting out of their cars. I would encourage people to plug into that process because sometimes citizens and taxpayers don’t think it’s necessary to get involved with those things. But those planning processes often become a plan, and it’s driven by people who live there. When the market does come around, and financing is more readily available, developers are going to move on the White Rock area. And when they do, we can say, “OK, here is our vision for this area.”
    Garland Road Vision website: http://garlandroadvision.org/index.php

asshat CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Bateman View Post
    So the YMCA is under contract to someone. Far West may be screwed. Additionally, I've heard that Lincoln Property has the retail center across from Far West/Y under contract. The one with the Subway. Something big is going down at that intersection. Wonder if Backyard closing is related? I knew Rand stopped giving a $#@! about running the place and just wanted to sell the land to a developer for a retarded price. Then some SMU kids (?) leased the business. Last summer it was PACKED. Even on random fall/winter nights it had more cars than I'd ever seen there. Strange.
    You talking about the YMCA across the street from The Goat?

Re: Backyard and SMU, it was my understanding that SMU kids were renting out Backyard for various events and build parties. The last time one of my Lakewood friends was at backyard he said it was definately in the midst of being built up with stages and $#@!ty carpentry native to fraternity build parties.

^ Yes, the Y (assuming closing happens as planned) is going to build-to-suit a new place just up Gaston where that church has been for sale for a while.

asshat CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Bateman View Post
    ^ Yes, the Y (assuming closing happens as planned) is going to build-to-suit a new place just up Gaston where that church has been for sale for a while.
    Man, I LOVE that Y. What a shame!

asshat fawnknutsen Shaggy Gold Club fawnknutsen Shaggy Gold Club fawnknutsen Shaggy Gold Club fawnknutsen Shaggy Gold Club fawnknutsen Shaggy Gold Club fawnknutsen Shaggy Gold Club fawnknutsen Shaggy Gold Club fawnknutsen Shaggy Gold Club fawnknutsen Shaggy Gold Club fawnknutsen Shaggy Gold Club fawnknutsen Shaggy Gold Club fawnknutsen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CBT View Post
    Not sure how long it's been open, but we hit up Alligator Cafe in Casa Linda this week. Very good, highly recc'd, will smash again.
    We finally made it over there tonight. Would also highly recommend and smash again. It was hopping, too. I'm loving all our new neighborhood eateries.

asshat Jive Turkey might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Jive Turkey might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Jive Turkey might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Jive Turkey might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Jive Turkey might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Jive Turkey might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Jive Turkey might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Jive Turkey might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Jive Turkey might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Jive Turkey might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Jive Turkey might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Jive Turkey's Avatar
    The nurturing biosphere of the mothership.
    PB's intel hit the DMN.

Developer Lincoln Property Co. is buying both sides of Gaston Avenue at Garland Road near White Rock Lake for a major retail center.

The shopping center project will include redeveloping the property now occupied by the East Dallas YMCA, along with the two-story shopping center across the street.

The project is close to 15 acres, making it one of the largest such developments on tap for East Dallas.

“We are looking at a big retail center,” said Lincoln Property executive vice president Robert Dozier. “This is one of the best potential development sites in the city.”

Lincoln Property bought the Lakeview Centre at the southwest corner of Gaston and Garland Road where East Grand Avenue intersects. Built in 1987, the 82,000-square-foot shopping center is mostly vacant.

A few years ago, builders proposed tearing down the retail complex to replace it with new mixed-use construction.

But Dozier said Lincoln plans to remodel the property and will keep it as a shopping center.
    Across the street, Lincoln is under contract to buy the YMCA’s 46,000-square-foot building and the adjoining space used for a nightclub.

The YMCA is working on plans for a new facility up the street at Gaston and Loving Street.
    http://www.dallasnews.com/business/c...ail-center.ece
    Last edited by Jive Turkey; 04-13-2012 at 10:57 AM.

dead from aggy misery od Ghost of LL might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ghost of LL might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ghost of LL might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ghost of LL might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ghost of LL might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ghost of LL might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ghost of LL might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ghost of LL might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ghost of LL might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ghost of LL might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ghost of LL might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ghost of LL's Avatar
    So Far West is dead?

asshat threesheets grows his own roses threesheets grows his own roses threesheets grows his own roses threesheets grows his own roses threesheets grows his own roses threesheets grows his own roses threesheets grows his own roses threesheets grows his own roses threesheets grows his own roses threesheets grows his own roses threesheets grows his own roses threesheets's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fawnknutsen View Post
    I'm loving all our new neighborhood eateries.
    Comin' at ya.

one time dealer CBT is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. CBT is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. CBT is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. CBT is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. CBT is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. CBT is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. CBT is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. CBT is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. CBT is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. CBT is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. CBT is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. CBT's Avatar
    Both tacos!

Good for the neighborhood. Lincoln doesn't $#@! around unless they are going to move forward on a deal/development. I heard they have approached some tenants in LW SS to move to the existing center down there. Interestingly, the apartment group at Lincoln had the Backyard under contract a year or 2 ago and passed because the demographics weren't quite there. I wonder if things have changed now. Also, the Lakewood Flats on Grand just down towards I-30 are looking good. From the website www.lakewoodflats.com it looks like higher-end stuff. Anyone want to rent a bulldozer with me and start going after the Mt. Auburn area?

asshat mdmost might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mdmost might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mdmost might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mdmost might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mdmost might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mdmost might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mdmost might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mdmost might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mdmost might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mdmost might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mdmost might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mdmost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by threesheets View Post
    Comin' at ya.
    Are you talking about the one that's supposed to open on SMU Blvd? Or are they opening in Casa Linda? Because I will $#@!ing camp out for that.

asshat threesheets grows his own roses threesheets grows his own roses threesheets grows his own roses threesheets grows his own roses threesheets grows his own roses threesheets grows his own roses threesheets grows his own roses threesheets grows his own roses threesheets grows his own roses threesheets grows his own roses threesheets grows his own roses threesheets's Avatar
    Both. And Casa Linda is gonna be first. You didn't hear that $#@! from me though. I'm from the west side of Chicago. Here on vacation.

I wanna kiss you!

I hope it's in Casa Linda Plaza so they can get some more strong tenants. There's the old Souper Salads spot which is big enough but there's also the newly vacant Blockbuster spot. We we we so excited!

threesheets, I officially love you. Saw this today at Casa Linda Plaza while taking the kids to Monster Yogurt.

Am(I)REIT?

Yeah I thought about it would be genius to shop that with an addition I in the middle. I'm really excited about Torchy's. Casa Linda is taking off again. Monster Yogurt is doing well. Alligator Cafe looks awesome. We may have to do a happy hour there since they have $2.50 drinks from 3-7 T-F. You got Goodfriend doing awesome business. There's a new restaurant from the Lovers Lane Pizza owner coming soon called Benny's in the old Arby's spot near Easton off Garland. I'm really happy to see businesses starting to believe in this area again.

Dallas is going to lose it uniqueness with all these chains moving into town

I draw dicks. No homo. THujone might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? THujone might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? THujone might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? THujone might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? THujone might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? THujone might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? THujone might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? THujone might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? THujone might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? THujone might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? THujone might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? THujone's Avatar
    Yeah I thought about it would be genius to shop that with an addition I in the middle. I'm really excited about Torchy's. Casa Linda is taking off again. Monster Yogurt is doing well. Alligator Cafe looks awesome. We may have to do a happy hour there since they have $2.50 drinks from 3-7 T-F. You got Goodfriend doing awesome business. There's a new restaurant from the Lovers Lane Pizza owner coming soon called Benny's in the old Arby's spot near Easton off Garland. I'm really happy to see businesses starting to believe in this area again.

So is the Torchy's in the Blockbuster space?

Also: why would I eat Torchy's when I can eat tacos from Good to Go, which actually have food in them?

Torchy's is going into the old Super Salads spot at the southeast corner of Casa Linda Plaza next to Just Fitness. It's a pretty big spot. And while Good2Go has great breakfast tacos, they can't touch Torchy's lunch offerings. The queso at Torchy's is badass. Good2Go's queso is subpar which is sad considering how good the rest is. And don't knock Torchy's till you've had the Brushfire.

I love Good2Go, and I'll still go there because I want to support the local mom and pop shops, but Torchy's is pretty $#@!ing hard to beat.

This is excellent news. I love that it seems like every other month there's something new coming to the Casa Linda/Old Lake Highlands area to get excited about. When I first moved here you had to drive west of the lake for anything good.
    Last edited by Frank Justice, Sr.; 04-24-2012 at 12:49 PM.

The reason I am so excited for Torchy's is that they along with Hypnotic Donuts moving in shows that unique businesses think Casa Linda/OLH is a better area to open in than Lakewood. 5 years ago, those 2 open in Lakewood and not over here. That's why I always laugh at the Houston or Austin people who $#@! on East Dallas on here. They really have no idea how much like Austin this area is. It's no surprise to me that Austin-type places like Goodfriend, Good2Go, Hypnotic, and Torchy's are all here. This area really fiercely supports local businesses. It's encouraging to me that spaces are filling up in Casa Linda Plaza after the expensive remodel. Doesn't bother me that it's restaurants leading the way. I think it may only get better especially when the Arboretum opens the new kids portion next year. That is going to be a huge draw for the area and bring in a lot more people to the area than just the Dallas Blooms showcases and summer concerts do.

asshat Jive Turkey might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Jive Turkey might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Jive Turkey might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Jive Turkey might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Jive Turkey might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Jive Turkey might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Jive Turkey might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Jive Turkey might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Jive Turkey might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Jive Turkey might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Jive Turkey might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Jive Turkey's Avatar
    Torchy's is going into the old Super Salads spot at the southeast corner of Casa Linda Plaza next to Just Fitness. It's a pretty big spot. And while Good2Go has great breakfast tacos, they can't touch Torchy's lunch offerings. The queso at Torchy's is badass. Good2Go's queso is subpar which is sad considering how good the rest is. And don't knock Torchy's till you've had the Brushfire.
    No more salets. Both tacos!

I finally went to the new Alligator Cafe. The new space is so much better. And the salmon with pasta is one of my favorite meals in Dallas.

asshat Surly Bevo Shaggy Gold Club Surly Bevo Shaggy Gold Club Surly Bevo Shaggy Gold Club Surly Bevo Shaggy Gold Club Surly Bevo Shaggy Gold Club Surly Bevo Shaggy Gold Club Surly Bevo Shaggy Gold Club Surly Bevo Shaggy Gold Club Surly Bevo Shaggy Gold Club Surly Bevo Shaggy Gold Club Surly Bevo Shaggy Gold Club Surly Bevo's Avatar
    The reason I am so excited for Torchy's is that they along with Hypnotic Donuts moving in shows that unique businesses think Casa Linda/OLH is a better area to open in than Lakewood. 5 years ago, those 2 open in Lakewood and not over here. That's why I always laugh at the Houston or Austin people who $#@! on East Dallas on here. They really have no idea how much like Austin this area is. It's no surprise to me that Austin-type places like Goodfriend, Good2Go, Hypnotic, and Torchy's are all here. This area really fiercely supports local businesses. It's encouraging to me that spaces are filling up in Casa Linda Plaza after the expensive remodel. Doesn't bother me that it's restaurants leading the way. I think it may only get better especially when the Arboretum opens the new kids portion next year. That is going to be a huge draw for the area and bring in a lot more people to the area than just the Dallas Blooms showcases and summer concerts do.
    I hate you....in a good way though.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Knight View Post
    Dallas is going to lose it uniqueness with all these chains moving into town
    I know smarmy a-hole is your bit (I enjoy it), but Torchy's has been here for three years or some$#@!. Your timing is off.

But I think Mad Dogs is scouting locations here, so maybe we'll get to claim a worthless slice of your town someday soon.

asshat the immortal Elvis Presto grows his own roses the immortal Elvis Presto grows his own roses the immortal Elvis Presto grows his own roses the immortal Elvis Presto grows his own roses the immortal Elvis Presto grows his own roses the immortal Elvis Presto grows his own roses the immortal Elvis Presto grows his own roses the immortal Elvis Presto grows his own roses the immortal Elvis Presto grows his own roses the immortal Elvis Presto grows his own roses the immortal Elvis Presto grows his own roses the immortal Elvis Presto's Avatar
    it is nice to see the hood blowing up w/ good $#@!. i just hope all the awful uptown doosh $#@!ets stay out of our heady neighborhood bc it already hard enough to park at gf.

Quote Originally Posted by the immortal Elvis Presto View Post
    it is nice to see the hood blowing up w/ good $#@!. i just hope all the awful uptown doosh $#@!ets stay out of our heady neighborhood bc it already hard enough to park at gf.
    They will. The Trans-White Rock is uncharted territory for them. Realistically, anything east of Central that isn't directly on Henderson or Lower Greenville is pretty well terra incognito to their kind. But the douche cartographers just write in "Dragons Be Here" to denote everything east of Abrams.

We need to build a Wall to keep out those White Walkers. /no racist

Quote Originally Posted by threesheets View Post
    I know smarmy a-hole is your bit (I enjoy it), but Torchy's has been here for three years or some$#@!. Your timing is off.

But I think Mad Dogs is scouting locations here, so maybe we'll get to claim a worthless slice of your town someday soon.
    I do not , nor have I ever lived in San Antonio

Well I hate you even more now.

bunghole Cluck is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Cluck is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Cluck is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Cluck is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Cluck is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Cluck is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Cluck is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Cluck is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? Cluck is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares?
    I went to GF tonight for the first time. Great place, great crowd. No dbags in sight, which was glorious.

I draw dicks. No homo. THujone might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? THujone might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? THujone might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? THujone might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? THujone might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? THujone might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? THujone might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? THujone might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? THujone might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? THujone might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? THujone might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? THujone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cluck View Post
    I went to GF tonight for the first time. Great place, great crowd. No dbags in sight, which was glorious.
    Place is the shiz.

Good to see intolerant hipsters moving in to an area they just found that has existed for generations, telling "da hood" how its supposed to be. Generalizations are fun.

i believe Olivella's is open. anybody been to the East Dallas location?

Quote Originally Posted by DalBear View Post
    Good to see intolerant hipsters moving in to an area they just found that has existed for generations, telling "da hood" how its supposed to be. Generalizations are fun.
    im an old and ive been existing in e dallas for over a generation. im glad we now have a bar besides the shady side, chilis and foe. i will put up w/ hipsters but i draw the line at uptown dooshers w/ their hair gel and designer jeans.

asshat UTinBigD can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. UTinBigD can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. UTinBigD can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. UTinBigD can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. UTinBigD can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. UTinBigD can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. UTinBigD can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. UTinBigD can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. UTinBigD can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. UTinBigD can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. UTinBigD can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. UTinBigD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
    i believe Olivella's is open. anybody been to the East Dallas location?
    its open. Was packed last Wednesday when I drove by on the way 1st & 10. Whole patio was filled.

asshat SMUlawUTGRAD can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. SMUlawUTGRAD can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. SMUlawUTGRAD can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. SMUlawUTGRAD can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. SMUlawUTGRAD can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. SMUlawUTGRAD can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. SMUlawUTGRAD can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. SMUlawUTGRAD can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. SMUlawUTGRAD can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. SMUlawUTGRAD can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. SMUlawUTGRAD can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. SMUlawUTGRAD's Avatar
    I think I am moving to a douplex off la vista. It is closer to the Mstreets than lakewood I guess but I am excited to read this thread for places to go.

Only in Dallas would the Parks Dept be willing to destroy a natural landscape to make room for people's cars that need to be parked somewhere so those people can visit a place with manufactured landscapes and view works of an artist whose works are all about man's impact on nature. Thankfully a neighbor who lives in Emerald Isle got a temporary restraining order to keep the Arboretum off the grasslands around Winfrey Point. This situation is so typically Dallas. The Arboretum is ridiculously successful but the dumb ass city doesn't plan ahead with adequate parking options. They just spent how ever much on a surface lot across from the construction entrance for where the kid's extension will go next summer. So instead of making that a 5-6 story parking garage, they do nothing and then come up with a half assed plan to turn an already traffic filled area with more cars. So bikers, runners, dog walkers and families in an already crowded area will now have to dodge obliviates looking for parking spaces at Winfrey Point. And then those cars will have to exit via Emerald Isle Road to Garland Road which has no protective lights. I guess they'll put some cops there? Yeah that's a cheap option. Backwards ass Dallas is backwards ass. Here's an idea, Arboretum, perhaps you should just turn people away. Or create a queue for people to get in. Museums do it. You buy a time to go to an exhibit. There is no walk up entry. Or rent out a high school parking lot like Woodrow and shuttle people to the Arboretum.

Look I am all for the Arboretum growing. The wife and I are members and have been since the early 00s. We take our kids there often. I am excited about the expansion and the Chuhily exhibit. That said, I do not want the Arboretum taking any parts of White Rock Lake for themselves. That is where I think the line has to be drawn. White Rock Lake shouldn't be parceled off for something non-Lake related. Not to mention the dumbass City spent how much upgrading those Little League fields only to possibly tear them down for parking for the Arboretum? Just galls me how $#@!ing dysfunctional this city can be. Pave over nature so people can pay to park to pay to see nature. That screams Dallas, doesn't it?

Arboretum to operate parking at Winfrey Point

The Dallas Arboretum has agreed to direct traffic and orchestrate parking at Winfrey Point, even when arboretum patrons are not parking there, to alleviate parking woes.

Parking at Winfrey Point often becomes choked and chaotic on weekends during little league games and other events, which can be a danger to pedestrians, says Dallas Little League president Lance Spellman.

Lawther is one way to the Winfrey Point building, and if the lot is full, the only way out is via Emerald Isle. If there is nowhere to park along Emerald Isle, it causes a traffic pile-up near Barbec’s at Garland Road. Neighbors who live in Emerald Isle know to avoid that intersection at all costs on weekends, which is a huge inconvenience for them.

“It becomes pretty disastrous because you’ve got kids, angry motorists, and just chaos,” Spellman says.

The Park Department and the arboretum are working on a longer-range plan to direct traffic and parking through the area, which includes allowing two-way traffic on East Lawther.

Anyone who has visited the arboretum on a busy spring day probably has seen the arboretum’s parking operation at work. Attendants communicate with each other and with drivers to park cars on lots throughout the property and into shuttle bus lots. It is quite a production.

“The Park Department asked us to manage parking over there so it’s not haphazard,” says arboretum president Mary Brinegar.

Spellman says a plan for the arboretum to use Winfrey Point grasslands for temporary overflow parking will alleviate traffic and parking woes for little league members. But he says the Dallas Little League’s contract with the city is up in two years, and he fears the arboretum eventually will want to take over Winfrey Point for parking permanently.

The arboretum currently has permission form the Park Department to park 400 cars in the grass at Winfrey Point, mostly along Emerald Isle, when all other parking lots are full. But there is another grassy area, between the Emerald Isle neighborhood and the ball fields that could hold another 1,000 or more cars. The Rory Meyers Children’s Adventure Garden opens in about one year, and it is expected to be a big draw. Of the $56 million budget for that garden, $13 million is being budgeted for parking.

“Once the ball starts rolling on this with the destruction of praire land this week, I think it will be harder to stop future actions that we may find directly detrimental to Dallas Little League,” Spellman wrote in an email to little league families. “Personally, I would like to have a much more detailed understanding and discussion of future plans for Winfrey before any significant changes are made in the short run.”
    This website that has a petition to keep the cars out of Winfrey Point has some good links to documents about the plans. Document 3 has the schematic of the parking lots. Just vomitious.

http://savewinfreypoint.com/?p=23

asshat dfwtexex slams and goes hard. dfwtexex slams and goes hard. dfwtexex slams and goes hard. dfwtexex slams and goes hard. dfwtexex slams and goes hard. dfwtexex slams and goes hard. dfwtexex slams and goes hard. dfwtexex slams and goes hard. dfwtexex slams and goes hard. dfwtexex slams and goes hard. dfwtexex slams and goes hard. dfwtexex's Avatar
    That news about the Arboretum paving over parkland, nature preserve space and little league fields to build parking is sickening. How ridiculous can be people be? Of course, it's the same folks that think it is a good idea to build a tollroad through the flood plain in an area where parks should be.

Or rent out a high school parking lot like Woodrow and shuttle people to the Arboretum.
    Yep. I shuttle from a nearby shopping center lot every time I go. This parking lot bull$#@! combined with the mayor's speech on the Trinity Tollroad definitely brought the dry heaves yesterday.

Only in Dallas would the Parks Dept be willing to destroy a natural landscape to make room for people's cars that need to be parked somewhere so those people can visit a place with manufactured landscapes and view works of an artist whose works are all about man's impact on nature. Thankfully a neighbor who lives in Emerald Isle got a temporary restraining order to keep the Arboretum off the grasslands around Winfrey Point. This situation is so typically Dallas. The Arboretum is ridiculously successful but the dumb ass city doesn't plan ahead with adequate parking options. They just spent how ever much on a surface lot across from the construction entrance for where the kid's extension will go next summer. So instead of making that a 5-6 story parking garage, they do nothing and then come up with a half assed plan to turn an already traffic filled area with more cars. So bikers, runners, dog walkers and families in an already crowded area will now have to dodge obliviates looking for parking spaces at Winfrey Point. And then those cars will have to exit via Emerald Isle Road to Garland Road which has no protective lights. I guess they'll put some cops there? Yeah that's a cheap option. Backwards ass Dallas is backwards ass. Here's an idea, Arboretum, perhaps you should just turn people away. Or create a queue for people to get in. Museums do it. You buy a time to go to an exhibit. There is no walk up entry. Or rent out a high school parking lot like Woodrow and shuttle people to the Arboretum.

Look I am all for the Arboretum growing. The wife and I are members and have been since the early 00s. We take our kids there often. I am excited about the expansion and the Chuhily exhibit. That said, I do not want the Arboretum taking any parts of White Rock Lake for themselves. That is where I think the line has to be drawn. White Rock Lake shouldn't be parceled off for something non-Lake related. Not to mention the dumbass City spent how much upgrading those Little League fields only to possibly tear them down for parking for the Arboretum? Just galls me how $#@!ing dysfunctional this city can be. Pave over nature so people can pay to park to pay to see nature. That screams Dallas, doesn't it?

This website that has a petition to keep the cars out of Winfrey Point has some good links to documents about the plans. Document 3 has the schematic of the parking lots. Just vomitious.

http://savewinfreypoint.com/?p=23
    You took the words right out of my mouth. I just want to bang my $#@!ing head against the wall with this city sometimes. I mean they just don't get it. It's truly mind bottling.

I think the shuttle is the best answer and you wouldn't even have to go as far as Woodrow. Have the Arboretum establish a contract with that gigantic parking lot in front of the Y at Gaston and Garland. The last couple of days news have really sucked with Rawlings playing the Preston Hollow puppet on the Toll Road and now this. For every step forward it's like we take two steps back.

one time dealer CBT is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. CBT is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. CBT is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. CBT is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. CBT is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. CBT is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. CBT is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. CBT is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. CBT is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. CBT is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. CBT is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. CBT's Avatar
    I'll put this here. From my uncle, who lives right down the road in Casa Linda. He is a bamboo grower and "advocate", if there is such a thing.

The Dallas Arboretum has just lost a patron and gained a critic. A couple of years ago, while volunteering for an arboretum event, I struck up a conversation with the arboretum's senior director Jimmy Turner (no relation), about bamboo. He told me of the plans to raze the nine acres of 60 year old bamboo groves at the arboretum to make room for the $56 million dollar "children's garden." While ...I was disappointed at losing one the larger groves of bamboo in the area, I was excited at the prospect of harvesting some of the bamboo poles for myself and Jimmy put me in touch with Maria Conroy, the arboretum's director of education. I called and emailed Maria repeatedly with no response. I finally went to the arboretum and tracked her down, and she reluctantly said yes to letting me harvest the bamboo before the construction began. That was a year ago, and Maria and Jimmy have ignored all my calls and emails since then. Now the bamboo's gone, in a landfill, and the arboretum is erecting a Disneyland-$#@!-Chucky Cheeses in its place, and planning to park the cars of the attendees on what's left of Winfrey point.

What's more, I put the arboretum in contact with Bamboo Living, a company that makes pre-fab bamboo houses. Bamboo Living would have come out and removed the whole grove for free, and turned the canes into something useful. I guess that was too much trouble for Conroy, Brinegar and company.

Really this would look so much better as a parking lot. I really hate some of the people in this city. Most reasonable people would look at this picture and see natural beauty that shouldn't be destroyed. Sadly, some in this city look at this field and see an opportunity to put something there. And that is why Dallas will never be a world class city.

Last edited by mdmost; 05-04-2012 at 09:59 AM.

asshat Firemans4Horn Shaggy Gold Club Firemans4Horn Shaggy Gold Club Firemans4Horn Shaggy Gold Club Firemans4Horn Shaggy Gold Club Firemans4Horn Shaggy Gold Club Firemans4Horn Shaggy Gold Club Firemans4Horn Shaggy Gold Club Firemans4Horn Shaggy Gold Club Firemans4Horn Shaggy Gold Club Firemans4Horn Shaggy Gold Club Firemans4Horn Shaggy Gold Club Firemans4Horn's Avatar
    Yeah, this and the idiotic toll road have been too much this week.

Ah screw nature. We need parking so people from the Park Cities art scene can view Chuhily's exhibit.

“What is unique is that it has never been plowed,” said Matt White, American history professor at Ferris Junior College. “When you plow the original prairie, it never comes back. Dallas is fortunate in that we have this unique and very rare natural history and heritage.”

White said few pieces of the Texas prairie land, which once stretched along the Interstate 35 corridor from San Antonio to Dallas, exist today. White, author of Prairie Time: A Blackland Portrait, said the Winfrey Point prairie is one of the most endangered ecosystems in the world.

“It really is a living history museum; it gives us a feeling of what was here. Many times people are not educated about land enough to know what it is worth,” White said.

+ Reply to Thread